Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I finally did it- I dumped my kayak

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I finally did it- I dumped my kayak
on: August 13, 2011, 04:43:40 PM
After years of paddling successfully I finally dumped my kayak- for those who don't know the term, it's what happens when you flip it and end up in the water.  In my case a fancy Eskimo roll was out since I was in shallow water with a heavy current and some big ass rocks about a foot below me.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself... we were on Lake William, a lake I'd never paddled before, although I have paddled the lakes on both sides of it.  My friend Frank wanted to go- he'd been there fishing and thought it looked like a nice lake to paddle on, and there was a small train bridge with a tunnel underneath it that he thought we could paddle through and get to some good fishing on the other side.

When we actually got to it we found that there was a VERY strong current coming out from the other side- very strong, almost violent.  Also, there are a number of rocks all around the entrance.  The tunnel is about 12 feet long, so it should just be a matter of getting up a good head of steam and paddling like crazy to make it through, right?  Wrong.

Me having the better boat decided to try it first, and I quickly found out that the rocks make it difficult to paddle, since the paddles keep bouncing off the rocks and out of the water.  Then, when you get to the tunnel, you realize that your paddles are wider than the tunnel- this led to me getting nailed in the face as the boat and I moved forwards and the paddles stopped abruptly.

Now if I were the least bit intelligent, you'd think I'd decide this just couldn't happen, but no, I took a few more runs at it trying to figure out a plan of action, and while I didn't smack myself in the face again, I didn't get very much farther either.  I quickly decided that there was no way to build enough momentum to fight the current, so I decided to try and grab the wall and "walk" my way through. 

The first attempt started off well enough- I got in far enough to grab the concrete, but then couldn't get my paddle secured on the top deck of my boat so I threw it in the water, knowing my paddle leash (a springy rope secured to the boat and paddle) would keep me from losing it.  What I didn't count on is that a paddle's entire function revolves around resistance, which was now creating more than enough drag to break my grip on the wall and send me shooting backwards out into the lake again.

Encouraged by Frank, who had thought that was a good idea, I decided to try again, but this time I'd damn well make sure the paddle was secured to the top deck!  So, off I go again, and this time I manage to grab the concrete and secure the paddle, and that's when things went wrong- very wrong...

Apparently I was on a slightly different angle this time because the heavy current caught the bow of my boat and tried to force it back out of the tunnel.  My boat kept going to the left while I was trying to hang onto the concrete on the right, but I didn't have a good enough grip to pull it back against the current.  By the time I realized it was a losing battle the boat was too far away, and with no paddle I couldn't properly right myself and into the drink I went.

My biggest concern was hitting the rocks- I didn't want to split my skull open, and I was a bit concerned about breaking a wrist when I hit, I was able to control my fall well enough that I didn't get hurt.  I think this is when I wrenched my neck a bit, but I can't be certain as I didn't feel that until later on in the evening!

When I got my footing and managed to stand up I saw my Tilley and throw bag floating away in the current, and I frantically called at Frank to get them for me while I caught the end of my kayak before it too disappeared and I righted it.  My cell phone, GPS and camera box were all still attached but I'd lost my water bottle (which Frank also had managed to pick up) and a walkie talkie that will probably never be found again.

Since I was already wet, and we were determined to make it through the tunnel I grabbed my boat, had Frank tie his boat to the back of mine with the rope in the throw bag and I walked through pulling mine behind me, then once I'd made it to the other end, pulled Frank through too.  The current was so strong in places that I had to use all my strength just to put one foot in front of the other to walk through!

Anyways, we had a nice paddle on the interconnected ponds on the other side, Frank and his daughter caught a few fish and we got excited about going back through the tunnel on the way home, but it wasn't really a huge issue- a lot easier than we'd expected, although I was concerned because I couldn't use my paddle to control my direction.  In the end it wasn't an issue at all, and was a lot of fun, but it would have been nice to have it in case I'd needed it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: I finally did it- I dumped my kayak
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:57:22 PM
Helluva story Def, glad you're OK..  :o :o  :tu: 
Good thing you weren't carrying a Surge or the sucker would have kept you under for sure..  :ahhh ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:12:06 PM
I've decided on a new motto for myself:

"Few things in life are as fun as failure if you do it right!"

I was actually sitting on the rocks and could just sit up and get my head out from under the water- but the current was so strong I couldn't sit up!

I'm a little bummed that I didn't have the video camera on the boat this time!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:55 PM
Sounds a little hairy boss, but fun for all that. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:30:35 PM
:pok: You should invent a gripper for the end of the paddle, to grip rocks or concrete walls.   :D

When we lived on the Little Salmon River (flows North) used to see an occasional kayak going down without an occupant. Unfortunately that stretch had two bad holes/water shoots that were quite nasty to tube or kayak through. The water was too shallow to try and gain footing, and life vests don't do a huge bit of good. The river would churn you under and end over end.

Glad you got out safely!  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:34:06 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:26:40 AM
My paddle was useless in the tunnel, but I did ask Frank if he had his paddling gloves with him figuring that might have increased my chances.  Of course once a 17 foot boat starts going the wrong way you are pretty well screwed especially in a current that strong.

I'm thinking next time I'll use my anchor as a grappling hook!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:07 AM
Whoa! Definitely sounds like coming back with the current was a whole lot more fun than going against it on the way in! :o Dontcha hate it how water can be so dagburn stubborn some times? >:( :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:24:09 AM
I'm thinking next time I'll use my anchor as a grappling hook!

Can see it now, the first kayak with a winch mounted on the bow.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:06 PM
Actually I was thinking more about a small air tank so I could launch the anchor properly, but a winch sounds like a good idea too!

I have two rules when it comes to kayaking:

1- Always have a knife.

2- If it's not secured, it's not yours.

I had my Boker kayak knife around my neck and most things were secured to the deck.  Things are not only kept under the elastic straps, they are also tied off.  The clip on the radio wasn't very good which is why it got lost, my hat wasn't strapped on and my water bottle was a poor shape for being held securely.  It was actually a teardrop shaped bottle of Perrier like this one:

Unfortunately that design isn't so great for straps and I'd actually already lost it a couple of times on that trip.

I'm sure we all know someone who can attest to #2 being important!  :D

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:27 AM
Great story Def, I laughed my but off!  Glad you're ok though, that could have ended much worse. 

you could have lost your tilley...

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:20:09 AM
I've done that but in the calm waters of the Dana Point (California) harbor.  :D  I wanted to see how much side to side motion that my kayak could take. Well... I sure found out!   :rofl:  The best part is a guy came by in a power boat and asked "hey, you want a tow to the shore?". Uh... yes please!   :rofl:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:31 AM
So a potato gun of sorts to launch a light-weight anchor?

You could also mount an air tank with nozzles pointed to the aft for extra boost, then add Night Rider lights on the front of your kayak.  :D   Eco-friendly turbo boost!
¬ Outback in Idaho

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:38 AM

You could also mount an air tank with nozzles pointed to the aft for extra boost, then add Night Rider lights on the front of your kayak.  :D   Eco-friendly turbo boost!

Kayak
Inversions
Tactical
Thulian pink

:D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Re: I finally did it- I dumped my kayak
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:12:50 PM

Funny that you should make a KITT reference.  When my father was here a couple of months ago we were looking at new boats and I took my father to a shop with a carbon fiber boat.  It was sweet but for $3700 it's not likely to come home with me!  My mind was racing afterwards thinking about how best to set up the bouncing LED on the front!

Def

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:36 PM
For you, Grant!  :2tu:

Not sure how to embed it from this link. Video starts after the introduction. Enjoy sir!
¬ Outback in Idaho

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 10:53:52 AM
Good adventure  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:09 PM
I've a bone to pick with you Dunc- I went in the drink and you didn't show up to help!  Some friend you are!   :pok:

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:37 PM
I've a bone to pick with you Dunc- I went in the drink and you didn't show up to help!  Some friend you are!   :pok:

Def

I'm still on my way , just going round the cape of good Hope !

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:55 PM
So I should just hold my breath then?  :D

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:49 AM
If your heads still under water then yes hold your breath , otherwise don't panic help is on it's way  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 02:05:28 PM
Thanks for the advice buddy!  :D

I picked up a new cylinder for my life jacked yesterday, and while I was there I got a backup.  I didn't blow off the life jacket, it was Frank's daughter about a half hour after I went in the drink.  We stopped for a bit so Frank could do some fishing, Brooke could go swimming and I could have a good pee- apparently I didn't do it when I dumped the kayak!  Anyways, Brooke got startled by the dramatic dropoff of the shoreline and pulled the cord.  If I'd known the new cylinders were $20 each I'd have given her an inflatable bath pillow instead!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 03:11:53 AM
Not related to this thread, but as good a place to put it as any...

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/310496

"Small" 700 pound Great White Shark found in the Bay Of Fundy, which is less than 100 kms from here- in fact it's further inland than my place.  It's probably a good thing I usually stick to freshwater!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 02:28:15 AM
Thirty kilometers and six hours in the boat. 

Nuff said.

Def

uploadfromtaptalk1313972850869.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1313972850869.jpg (Filesize: 36.89 KB)

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:26 AM
  Saw this, Grant. Thought of you.

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 03:14:54 AM
It would get a lot wetter inside my boat if that happened to me!

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:47 PM
 :ahhh  That must've been scary to be picked up by a whale.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline David

Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 08:29:46 PM
:ahhh  That must've been scary to be picked up by a whale.

Indeed!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD