Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival knives

lonediver · 132 · 16417

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Survival knives
Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 12:41:07 PM
Lately the OHT has been my favorite. Here in my woods/back yard we have mountain lions,
and blk bears to contend with, though since living here since Aug I have not seen any.
(could it be the deodorant?!)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:00 PM
An OHT is not going to deter a mountian lion or black bear.  However, you deodorant may attract the black bear.  I was reading an article about people that used "bear spray" to keep bears away from camp.  It actually drew them in because they were curious.  They did not know that it was for attack deterant only. :)

The OHT is a fine survival blade if you have it with you.  SAKs are a lot better survival tools than people realize.  If you need to survive a few nights in the woods you can do it without a blade if you need to.  The two things that you really need in the woods are warmth and water.  Without those you perish pretty quick.  A magnesium fire starter or waterproof matches, SAK, and a full water bottle can get you a long way if that is all you have.  Long term survival situations are really not all that common.  If you go on long hikes for several days you might want a tool like any of the so called survival knives but chances are if you are hiking a long distance, you have preparred adequately for any situation that may arise.   

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #62 on: January 01, 2008, 03:56:42 AM
I was reading through this and just wanted to pop in and say that not every CRK one piece knife sits in a safe...

Any time I go into the woods this knife is on my belt next to my LM Super Tool. I've never abused it but it has stood up to every camp and hiking chore I've asked it to. Yes it's an expensive hunk of A2 but it holds a good edge and is easy to resharpen. Probably the best thing about the knife is the great pancake style sheath. It is so comfortable to wear there is no reason not to put the knife on when going "out". I guess I don't really use the hollow handle feature to it's full extent. All I keep in there is some petroleum soaked cotton balls and a piece of ferro rod (just in case). Still it's a nice feature. The above pics were from when it was pretty new but it has stood up well to my wear and tear. I'd recommend the knife without any reservations.

Greg.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 01, 2008, 07:35:30 AM
Looks pretty cool. How much did it set you back?
[

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #64 on: January 01, 2008, 03:52:20 PM
If I remember right it was just under $200. Oh and I forgot to mention the model name is a Shadow III. I figure in ten years I'll still have and use the knife so in that time it will only cost $20 per year. That's how I spin it to the wife anyhow ;) .  Although that is just a drop in the pan in my knife buying over the years.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #65 on: January 01, 2008, 10:58:51 PM
I teach Map Compass and survival here for the state. We teach everybody frm Scouts to the State SAR teams. I actually recomend the Mora. Best 15 bucks you will ever spend and like most I have several kits to out with and one is in every pack.

However.... Personal belief Now is I carry a Tomahawk. Mine are built by H&B forge out of a beautiful carbon steel and I use them more than the knives. Between the Hawk and my 20 YO Cold steel SRK that I keep in a special bag in the back of the truck that is what I usually carry. The srk has been abused and used very heavily and has all my gear on its sheath should I need it. But If it came down to just picking one tool the Hawk would win.
S

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #66 on: January 02, 2008, 01:10:00 AM
I don't know a whole lot about survival but I've read a little and we touched on it a bit when I was in the army. Knowing a little about wilderness survival should be something every man should at least think about. I would think that while it may not be the "best" choice, you could do a lot worse than a good heavy duty multi-tool. Something fairly good sized with a locking plain AND serrated blade, a wood saw, a file of some sort and an awl. Out of everything I own right now I'd either take my LM Supertool or my SOG Powerlock. Both have proven to be heavy duty well built tools and I'd feel pretty good about either one.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #67 on: January 04, 2008, 03:44:21 PM
  IMHO you are best choosing a a 3 part set up. A small blade to serve as a scalpel/skinning type,a four-to five inch fixed blade for the majority of the grunt work,and either an axe for northern areas;or a machete for southern areas. I have a Fallkniven F1 I made the handle for and it's quite a good knife. I'm still trying to decide on a scalpel type blade,maybe a SAK or multitool will work for this. Since I'm in Florida I favor a machete or kukri.

T

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #68 on: January 04, 2008, 03:47:24 PM
  IMHO you are best choosing a a 3 part set up. A small blade to serve as a scalpel/skinning type,a four-to five inch fixed blade for the majority of the grunt work,and either an axe for northern areas;or a machete for southern areas. I have a Fallkniven F1 I made the handle for and it's quite a good knife. I'm still trying to decide on a scalpel type blade,maybe a SAK or multitool will work for this. Since I'm in Florida I favor a machete or kukri.

I agree with your set up too :)

So what kukri do you use mate?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline TWBryan

Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 04:33:45 PM
I've got two from Himalayan imports.One is an 18" chainpuri,the other is 16" chiruwa ang khola. The chainpuri does good work on palmettos the cak is for heavier stuff.

T

Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 04:40:44 PM
I've got two from Himalayan imports.One is an 18" chainpuri,the other is 16" chiruwa ang khola. The chainpuri does good work on palmettos the cak is for heavier stuff.

I like sirupatus best from an asthetic point of view and they feel so alive in the hand >:D, but an angkhola really is the business where a heavy duty chopping tool is rquired :)

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #71 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:50 PM
I am probably going to open a can of worms but here goes....

The best survival knife is the one you have on you when the crap hits the fan.

I find that most people who wax eloquent on about Busse, Ranger etc made with unbreakable steel etc. usually have it parked in their safe. They take it out occasionally to wack down some poor redbud tree in their backyard or take it on the last overnight weenie roast they went to.

Knives all over the world made of cheap leaf spring steel, i.e. Tramontina, Okapi, Douk, SAK's etc have seen more hard use and pulled more a** out of the fire then any $600 knife ever made.

Sorry to sound bitter but I have a brother in-law how is a Busse nut. I constantly have to hear about them ad-nauseum. I just sit there and smile preserving the family peace. I swear if I see him shave arm hair one more time I am going to gather it off the floor and knit a noose for him out of it. Comparing experience, he has never spent more then 3 nights in a row in the woods and I have over 10K trail miles during all four seasons.

Arrgh.

I dont think that you will open a can of worms at all.Personally, I agree with you.I dont have tons of time out in the woods.I have spent time in the field when I was in the service.Kids and a job keep me quite busy these days,I do get out for deer season,and do quite a bit of day hiking with the kids.My last "Overnight" was in the backyard with the boys 5 and 11 at the time.

I agree with the "Knife you have on you".It seems to me that problems never occur when a person wants them too.They happen when they happen,wether we like it or not.When I hike or hunt,my pack is already heavy enough,so adding a heavy duty knife,like my BMF or Buckmaster is just throwing more weight that I probably wont use anyways,even though in my opinion they are both good knives for the task.When cutting wood for the stove i have used both of them to hack on smaller branches and such,both held up fine.On several occasions when getting a fire started in the woodstove I made kindling by pounding them through larger split logs with no signs of damge or problems,no real need too,did it just to see if I could.

I figure that the weight is best used for other things,maybe a Hunter's Hatchet,if I feel the need.I have my SAK's with me constantly,and if something were to happen,with the 3 that I regularly carry I should be all set.I drive a truck for a living,most of my problems are mechanical in nature.So my SAK's(Rescue,SwissTool X,and as of late Wenger Handyman) are the best bet ,at least for me.When I ran over the road I had a fixed blade in the truck,but I am home every day now,so the needs that the fixed blade fufilled are no longer an issue.

Def,might be able to link it,but I did some pretty hateful cutting one night with a Centurion.

I have nothing against anyone who spends,hmm"Serious Money" on Cutlery.To me "Serious Money" is a hundred dollars and up.There is nothing wrong with it at all.I think that if I spent that kind of money on a knife,I would be afraid something happening to it.

When I was in the service I had,and still have my Kabar that I purchased after graduating from Basic Training in 1987.I purchased that along with a Vic Champion,and a Diamond M rod.Those three items served me well in my time in the US Army reserves 2 1/2 years (including a 3 month AT in Honduras) and my 2 years active duty at Fort Jackson SC ,where I was assigned as a Unit Armorer/Supply SpeSmurfpillst to a BT unit,which meant 4-5 days in the field every 8 week cycle.

I was not easy on my Kabar,nor my Champion.Both definely show their age.My oldest has my Champion,and carries it when he is allowed.I still have my KaBar,probably on it's 4th or 5th sheath,but,it is still as sharp and serviceable as the day I got it.I wish I could share some"Life Saving" stories but I dont have any.I will say what ever task I put to either knife,they both finished.Some tasks definetley required an extended visit with a sharpening stone.I am sure some instances would have made a designer cringe,or beam with pride.Now that I am older some were definetley not the best idea at the time.............but we live and learn.

When my boys and I hike in the wooded areas by my our house,and if I feel a need,my KaBar is tossed inside my pack.The areas are frequented by lots of others out communing with nature,so i figure why "Upset" the sheeple.

I know I am rambling a bit,but I guess I know that I can trust certian knives or other tools,because I was not afraid to use them and use them hard,because of the cost.I have also learned that there are many knives and tools out there that don't cost an arm and leg that still perform as well as the high end models.

If I had to choose I would pick my Kabar----with a new sheath,again(Maybe I need to quit bieng cheap on this and get one from Eagle Industries),My Vic Rescue,Swisstool X,and Wenger Handyman.I dont know how many knives I actaully have,according to my wife,too many.But if I had to get rid of all of them tommorrow I would keep those four
and my Diamond M and be prepared for what comes at me.Just my opinion,hope I did not offend or ramble.I enjoy all of my knives and tools,but these are the ones I trust the most.For the last 2 years or so,other than a fixed blade,it has benn a RARE occurence,when a knife other than an SAK has made it to my pocket.In two years I have found out that I don't need a top end Tactical to be ready for life's little moments of Action and High Adventure.

Just an FYI if anyone is interested....If I remember correctly I think that I had maybe 70 bucks tied up when I bout my KaBar,Champion,and Diamond M in 1987.

I figure I have maybe 130 bucks or so tied up in my Rescue,Swisstool X,and Wenger Handyman.

I bet if I do my Part when the time comes I am just as ready as your realtive with the Busse,I might have to work a bit smarter to compensate for the build,differences in materials,but just as ready

Sorry to Ramble

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Reply #72 on: January 04, 2008, 05:56:54 PM
Damn fine post sir :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #73 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:37 PM
I can't argue with Dtrain.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #74 on: January 04, 2008, 10:59:48 PM
Excellent points on all info given. I still have my original K-Bar and I will most likely never use it out in the bush ever again. Just too sentimental to risk damage.

However that does not mean I would not entertain the thought of a new one. :ahhh
S

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #75 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:14 AM
Thanks,

The USMC was definetley ahead of the curve when they picked the KaBar.All we had was the Pilot Survival,not bad not great,but the KaBar was better.I feel the same way about mine now,I still use it,but I am a bit more careful.Thanks for the nice comments,glad that I could contribute.

Dtrain :sak: :climber: :tool: :multi:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #76 on: January 05, 2008, 01:28:52 AM
Dont worry about it. We dont bite here. Well Micky mite ::)
S

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 04:55:32 PM
He might get sick,Us truckers dont have the best eating habits LOL.

Something tells me that this was a TMI moment.

Dtrain

Offline kreskin13

Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 04:57:13 PM
I teach Map Compass and survival here for the state. We teach everybody frm Scouts to the State SAR teams. I actually recomend the Mora. Best 15 bucks you will ever spend and like most I have several kits to out with and one is in every pack.

However.... Personal belief Now is I carry a Tomahawk. Mine are built by H&B forge out of a beautiful carbon steel and I use them more than the knives. Between the Hawk and my 20 YO Cold steel SRK that I keep in a special bag in the back of the truck that is what I usually carry. The srk has been abused and used very heavily and has all my gear on its sheath should I need it. But If it came down to just picking one tool the Hawk would win.

I've got a couple mora knives on the way, one with a carbon blade and the other a stainless blade. Got a link to the tomahawk you talk about?

Thanks,

Calvin
[

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:48 AM
Ordered a  Bark River Northstar.  My Bark River addiction has kicked in after buying the Mini Skinner.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: January 07, 2008, 01:38:39 AM
Ordered a  Bark River Northstar.  My Bark River addiction has kicked in after buying the Mini Skinner.

I visited Bark River Knife & Tool last summer (along with a few other knife companies): http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2105.0.html

A fascinating place, to say the least! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Viking

Reply #81 on: January 07, 2008, 01:44:18 AM

I visited Bark River Knife & Tool last summer (along with a few other knife companies): http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2105.0.html

A fascinating place, to say the least! :)

WOW!!  Thanks Bob!  I'm a very jealous guy.  Sounds like it was a great time.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #82 on: January 07, 2008, 10:02:11 PM
Just thought I'd upload a couple of pics of my new Fallkniven F1 - bog stock, not used, same as everybody else's - but it's mine, all MINE! :D

I believe it's the issue survival knife of the Swedish Air Force.
C

Reply #83 on: January 07, 2008, 10:42:25 PM
Not just the Air force, there special forces too :), awesome knife mate!

us Offline Viking

Reply #84 on: January 08, 2008, 12:39:11 AM
That's a great looking knife.  I'm really jeaolus.   :drool:

I've been looking at buying one of those, but I'm waiting  until the new models come out in April.  Plus, I've been buying Bark River's lately, and that's taken a huge chunk of my knife budget. 

But, the time will come when it will be mine. All mine! :D

Great pics BTW!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #85 on: January 08, 2008, 01:08:58 AM
the F1 is a great knife, I luv mine. I'm waiting for these;

Scrapyard Keeper
Blade Length = 4 1/2"
Overall Length = 9"
Blade Thickness = .267" (Thicker than 1/4")
Steel SR-77 (a modified jackhammer steel S-7)

* Keeper sm.png (Filesize: 29.54 KB)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:23:31 AM by WhichDawg »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #86 on: January 08, 2008, 01:22:48 AM
and the Scrapyard DM Mod;
Double Cut
Overall Length = 9 1/2"
Blade length = 5"
Thickness = Approx 3/16
Handle = Resiprene C
Steel = SR-77

* Mod sm.png (Filesize: 33.13 KB)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:25:19 AM by WhichDawg »

us Offline Viking

Reply #87 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:42 AM
Here's some pics of my RAT 5 in 1095. 

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #88 on: January 10, 2008, 01:20:41 AM

I've got a couple mora knives on the way, one with a carbon blade and the other a stainless blade. Got a link to the tomahawk you talk about?

Thanks,

Calvin

'ere you go, Calvin:

http://www.hbforge.com/products/tomahawks.php
- Terry

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:59 AM
More pics of Dunc's JCB please.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds