Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

M4 Sebertool

J-sews · 60 · 46705

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
M4 Sebertool
on: December 16, 2007, 10:40:16 PM
It’s nowadays sold as the Sebertec T10 by IDL Tools, but is still more commonly known as the M4 Sebertool. As keychain plier tools go, the M4 is one of the better ones, comparing well to more famous models from Leatherman, SOG, and Gerber.

Thinner and lighter than the Squirt P4, Crossgrip, or Clutch, the M4 features locking blades, all of which are outside-opening. Also slick is the way it attaches to a key ring or lanyard loop. Safe and secure for EDC carry, yet quickly releases when needed. Very nice!

The pliers on the M4 are surprisingly stout for such a small tool. It’s not meant to take the place of a full-sized plier mind you, but it’s plenty adequate for most household or office chores. The flat-nose profile of the jaws is useful, as is the soft wire cutter near the pivot.

The M4 evolved from the earlier M2 and M3 plier tools, which only included screwdrivers. And while some will miss those best-in-its-class drivers, the M4 packs a pretty potent array of tools in their place.

First and foremost is a locking knife blade, which the earlier Sebertools were sorely missing. The blade has double sided V-grind on its edge, instead of the single side chisel grind we see on so many small tools.

And even though the blade itself is only 1-1/2” long (35mm) it can reach considerably farther by using the tool in the “extended” position, as shown above.

Also included in this handle are a medium phillips screwdriver and a medium flathead screwdriver.

All of the blades lock open using a tab on the backspring which drops into a notch on the blade. (a method that was first seen on the original Leatherman Super Tool.) Lock release is accomplished by pushing down on a little tab, which has a knurled surface to prevent thumb slippage.

I must say though, that it takes a fair amount of pressure to release the lock. I always have a temporary “dent” in my thumb afterwards. Not something I’d care to do with cold hands.

The opposite handle houses a nail file, an eyeglass screwdriver, and a set of tweezers. The tweezers are more of a “small item picker upper than a sliver-puller” to use Spoonrobot’s description. I don’t feel that the tweezers suffer any by being attached to the tool, probably because the M4 is so lightweight.

The eyeglass screwdriver is also combined with a bottle opener, which appears adequate, although I’ve never had an occasion to use it.

Before moving on, one last thing about the blades; they are annoyingly tough to open, especially without strong fingernails. The knife blade and file blade are especially tough, due to the placement of the nail nick so close to the pivot. It’s hard to get enough leverage to flick those two blades open.

Like I said before though, the M4 is a pretty nice tool. According to the IDL website, they are still produced in the USA, and the quality shows. The tool was also marketed by Sears as their model 45505, and by Harley Davidson as the HD15.

You might want to think about picking one up someday.

Good:
Thinner and lighter than other keychain plier tools
Folds up snug, no looseness or rattle
Quickly attaches or releases from a key ring
All locking blades, all outside opening

Not so good:
Knife blade and file blade are difficult to open (impossible without fingernails)
Need to push hard on small buttons to release blade lock
Bead blast finish may(?) be susceptible to rust

Dimensions:
Length closed      2”   (52mm)
Width Closed      1-1/8”   (30mm)
Thickness      3/8”   (10mm)
Length open      3-3/4”   (97mm)
Weight         1.7 oz    (46 grams)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: M4 Sebertool
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:44:35 PM
Great review there Bob, finally a manufacturer who put's a proper grind on there keychain tool blades :)

It's a shame it's a little difficult to get the tools out though, do you reckon they'll loosen up a bit though ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:45:31 PM
Nice review that, do you know if the M2 and M3 lock? Would make a good EDC for uk people if so (due to the lack of knife, if i understood you right!). Still a very nice little tool though.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:57 PM
Outside opening, locking blades on a keychain tool?  Oh my!   :drool:

I really like the quality of Sebertech tools, and I think the M4 might be my next one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
........do you know if the M2 and M3 lock?

The M2 and M3 don't lock, but the screwdriver/handles do snap securely into place.  :)

Here's the whole family (except for the M1, which wasn't plier-based)

* Sebertools.jpg (Filesize: 51.94 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:09:39 PM
They do look very nice, especially that BO M3. Can they still be found for sale?
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:10:49 PM
I don't know if he has the BO version, but I believe Marc at EDCDepot.com has the standard M3's listed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 04:13:09 AM
M4 SeberTool info is now posted over at the Multitool Encyclopedia HERE.

Bob

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:00:59 AM
Great review Bob. I wasn't aware of the M4. Yet another tool added to the list.
"

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 03:38:30 PM
i had one sebertech m4 many yrs ago but now i dont and they dont sell it here,so i have o ask where should i ask for one for good deal,i dont mind if its crafts man,h-d or some other re-brand.

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:57:39 PM
i had one sebertech m4 many yrs ago but now i dont and they dont sell it here,so i have o ask where should i ask for one for good deal,i dont mind if its crafts man,h-d or some other re-brand.
Heinnie's have got them http://www.heinnie.com/sortgY511982/Pocket-Tools/SeberTool/c-1-94-223/, but you'll have to email them about shipping rates :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 04:12:58 AM
Isn't Heinnie's pretty expensive? Maybe you could pick one up cheap on eBay and have some MTorg member ship it to you for less money.  :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31:09 AM
Isn't Heinnie's pretty expensive? Maybe you could pick one up cheap on eBay and have some MTorg member ship it to you for less money.  :)

I agree, ebay would be the way to go, and if I can help you out let me know.  ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:49:01 AM
True, they are pricey, but there cheap for the UK, and I knew that had them :P (plus I'd not been up long :D)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:01 AM

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 07:10:46 AM
FYI, I got the IDL T10 from Amazon for $14.99 a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/TOOLS-INTERNATIONAL-2000CP-Keychain-MultiTool/dp/B000056VTZ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220072850&sr=8-11

The IDL T10 I received seems slightly different fromthe Sebertech in this review.  The knife on my tool had the chisel and not V grind.  My tool also had a darker grey color and the fit and finish seemed a little lacking.  It wasn't horrible, but it didn't look as nice as the ones in the photos of this review.

The locks were also very difficult to release.  I'm overall pleased with the tool, but be forewarned, the quality may have declined with the IDL version.

"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 02:54:23 PM
FYI, I got the IDL T10 from Amazon for $14.99 a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/TOOLS-INTERNATIONAL-2000CP-Keychain-MultiTool/dp/B000056VTZ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220072850&sr=8-11

The IDL T10 I received seems slightly different fromthe Sebertech in this review.  The knife on my tool had the chisel and not V grind.  My tool also had a darker grey color and the fit and finish seemed a little lacking.  It wasn't horrible, but it didn't look as nice as the ones in the photos of this review.

The locks were also very difficult to release.  I'm overall pleased with the tool, but be forewarned, the quality may have declined with the IDL version.

Bummer about the quality decline. Can you tell if yours was still made in USA?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 09:53:30 PM
@ultimaonliner:

Can you post some pics so we can compare the diference between the orginal serbertool and the IDL branded one, please?
A

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 12:49:16 AM
The grind on the blade is painfully different if you look at the photos on Amazon. =(
Got those frog legs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 03:20:41 PM
The grind on the blade is painfully different if you look at the photos on Amazon. =(

Ugh, you're right. :-\

Amazon photo

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 11:39:52 PM
I got mine earlier this year it is the IDL version but it still says "M4 Sebertool USA" on the plier head, the grind on the knife is a chisel grind but other than that looks like same tool  ;) This tool has served me well since I bought it :D I had an older M3 but can't find it anywhere :( That's what caused me to buy this 1 :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 11:41:41 PM
The grind on my knife though doesn't look as painfully bad as the 1 in the above pic though :oops:

Man they nearly made the blade half the size with that grind job :-[

talk about overzealous @ the grinder ::)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 11:44:27 PM
1 more thing before I forget ::) The tools are a lot easier to unlock if you use the same method as the old Supertool

Pull another tool almost out and it puts tension on the lock therefore releasing the fully opened tool :cheers:

That's all I can think of right now :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:15 AM
1 more thing before I forget ::) The tools are a lot easier to unlock if you use the same method as the old Supertool

Pull another tool almost out and it puts tension on the lock therefore releasing the fully opened tool :cheers:

That's all I can think of right now :D

Oooh thanks, that's a good tip! :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:22 AM

Oooh thanks, that's a good tip! :)

Not a problem Bob as much as you have and will help me, least I can do ::) :D

Plus if I am not mistaken that's what the clamshell said to do on the back ::) ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:30:41 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:10 AM

Not a problem Bob as much as you have and will help me, least I can do ::) :D

Plus if I am not mistaken that's what the clamshell said to do on the back ::) ;) :D

WHAT?! You actually read the instructions? :ahhh :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:31:05 AM by Poncho65 »

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 01:00:06 AM
They put stuff on the back?! Wow, I've been missing out.

And to think I just thought it was all unimportant packaging... :pok:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 01:02:05 AM
WHAT?! You actually read the instructions? :ahhh :D

Every now and then I get bored ::) :D :D :D

They put stuff on the back?! Wow, I've been missing out.

And to think I just thought it was all unimportant packaging... :pok:

Amazing isn't it :P :D :D :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:32:23 AM by Poncho65 »

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 06:00:24 PM
well now im definitly getting one of these :)
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 01:29:20 AM
well now im definitly getting one of these :)

I feel that they are worth it :salute: I really like mine alot :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD