Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Navy K1001 One-Piece Tool. Yeesh this thing is tiny...

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Navy K1001 One-Piece Tool. Yeesh this thing is tiny...
on: September 07, 2011, 10:50:27 PM
Alright, new review today - the Navy K1001 One-Piece tool.  This is a tiny, tiny little one piece tool that nonetheless manages to pack a ton of functionality in.

Before I get any further in the review though, let's just get this out of the way - yes, it looks to be "inspired" by the Atwood Fixer.  Same size and same basic functionality, but different materials, size, blade shape and tool loadout.  Whether or not this bothers you is entirely up to you.  There are enough changes (including some rather clever engineering ideas) that I think this tool really does stand up on it's own merits and shouldn't just be dismissed as "just another Chinese copy".

Alright, let's get to some specifications:

Price: $6.99 inc shipping.
Length: 74MM
Blade length: 30MM
Stock: 2.5MM
Steel:  440C or 8Cr13MoV (not entirely clear on this as I've seen both presented on various places)
Tools:  Blade, bottle opener, 7 sizes of metric hex wrench, MM rule, 1/4" bit driver (in 6MM wrench slot)

The specifications as to steel are a little bit murky, unfortunately.  The site I bought the tool from has stated the tool is made in 440C, but I've seen a few other sellers list it as 8Cr13MoV.  I would be inclined to believe the latter.  I'm quite happy with the steel choice, as I think the legions of CRKT, Spyderco, Kershaw, SRM and other knives have proven that 8Cr13MoV is quite a capable formulation.

Design

Tools

First of all, wow, this thing is tiny, and I mean tiny.  I have small hands to begin with, and even I have a problem getting a two-finger grip on the tool when using the knife.  For a comparison, here's a picture of the K1001 in comparison with a well-known keychain knife from Spyderco, the Ladybug.

As you can see, the entire tool nearly fits in to the handle of the Ladybug.

The thing is, I don't mind this at all.  The 1001 is meant to be a keychain-type last resort tool, something for quick fixes, opening beer bottles or doing things like opening packaging or cutting packing straps.  You don't need a ton of size for that, but you do need to understand the limitations.

On the plus side, when using the wrenches and the bit driver there's enough purchase to comfortably get three fingers on the tool (as long as you're careful with the blade placement) which is plenty for the wrenches.

As for the wrenches, there are 6 sizes of metric wrenches in the handle, plus the bottle opener doubles as a seventh wrench.  The smallest wrench (6mm) can also work as a 1/4" bit driver, with a very, very small amount of play.  You won't get a ton of torque because the driver cutout is in the middle of the tool but again, for quick fixes it works quite nicely.  The major downside is of course that blade in the way of the using wrenches - if the tool came with a kydex sheath, it would be a non issue, but since it comes with a leather sheath (a pretty good one at that) you have to be a little careful about how you go about using it.

Another interesting thing is that there are horizontal groves machined in to the tool on all the surface edges -outside, as well as in the box wrench section (had a tough time getting pictures of these).  I originally though they were left over machining marks, but they're far too deliberate for that to be the case.  My guess is that they exist to increase friction and grip in hand and on nuts.  They also correspond perfectly to a MM scale, meaning the back edge of the knife can be used a millimetre rule in a pinch.

And of course, the bottle opener.  It works.  I'll leave it at that.

Fit and Finish

Fit and finish of the tool is actually very good.  Surprisingly so, in fact.  The entire tool has a very nice stonewashed finish that is quite attractive.  I believe the stonewashed finish is actually on this particular piece to hide the tooling marks on the blade and wrenches, as there are still a few very light grind marks on the tip of the blade, but it looks quite good nonetheless.

You can see some very, very light tool marks at the tip of the blade underneath the stonewashed finish in the picture here.

The wrenches are generally well cut with straight edges and little slop, and the entire tool has been polished to remove the truly sharp corners on the handles.  The sheath included is actually quite nice, being a stitched leather affair, though I would've preferred a kydex or thermoplastic sheath so I could keep the sheath on and use the wrenches a little more safely.

The sheath does hold quite securely, and there is both a keychain hole and loop for carrying on a lanyard or neck chain.  And as I said - it's actually quite nice a sheath as well.  Even though it's single stitched, the leather is thick, evenly tanned and the edges are properly burnished and polished.

For the price I paid for this tool, the sheath alone is worth it.  Seriously.  As an aside, it makes a perfect keychain sheath for a Vic Classic, Wenger Esquire or Micra.  It's just too bad that the tool really needed a kydex sheath instead.

The blade was well machined, with even grind lines and it came hair-shaving sharp out of the package.  Very impressive on that end as well.

In Use

Well, I spent the weekend with this little tool, helping my father with his housework.  Between taking apart his lawnmower and weed whacker, as well as taking apart all the garden trellises the 1001 actually saw quite a bit of work.

Let's start with the bad - yeah, you need to be careful when using the wrenches.  To get maximum torque you'll often end up pressing the blade directly in to your palm, and this can lead to a pretty nasty cut if you're not careful.  To get around this limitation, I ended up making a small "slip cover" out of some scrap leather I had laying around, and putting it on the blade when I really wanted to bear down on the wrench cutouts.  This worked quite well, though in the future I'll probably look in to having a kydex sheath made (though this will probably cost more than the tool did in the first place).

The good?  The wrenches themselves worked very well.  There's very little slop or play in the wrench cutouts, and the horizontal grooving really does provide excellent traction on bolts heads and nuts.  The finger groove at the bottom of the wrench section helps with grip, as does the jimping on the top of the blade. 

Despite being very small, the stonewashed handle also provided good enough traction for doing things like cutting trimmer line and garden twin when using the blade.  After three straight days of usage, the blade was no longer hair shaving sharp, but it was still sharp enough for me to consider it safe to use - I didn't need to put any abnormal force in to cutting that would have lead to slippage and unsafe circumstances. 

Conclusions

As good as the tool is, as nice as the sheath is, if the Navy K1001 came with a fitted kydex sheath instead of a leather sheath I'd rate it as a must buy.  Right now, I think the tool is well made and highly functional but comes with a big caveat - watch out when using the wrenches!

I do like the tool enough though that I will probably make or find a proper fitted kydex sheath for it though, and the existing rather nice leather sheath will probably find a home with my Micra.

Pros:

-Great functionality
-Good fit and finish (great when price is considered)
-Excellent leather sheath

Cons:

-Really, really needs a kydex or thermoplastic sheath
-Tiny little thing that can be hard to grip
-Stonewashed finish may lead to rusting issues down the line (8Cr13MoV isn't exactly the most corrosion-resistant).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Navy K1001 One-Piece Tool. Yeesh this thing is tiny...
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:41 PM
good review and nice pics mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:10:40 AM
Thank you for taking the time to do a great review.  :tu: where did you buy yours?
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:14 AM
Thank you for taking the time to do a great review.  :tu: where did you buy yours?

The place is called discoverybargain.com.  If you just look up "Navy" in the search bar it's the first one.  There's also a seller on eBay that sells them called "alfresco_gear".

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:49 AM
How good is the fit of the wrenches?  How's the blade hold up? 

Good pictures, btw :tu:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:36:06 AM

The blade has held up quite well.  The wrenches I would say are pretty good, but not on the level of a dedicated piece - the machining does provide good grip but you'll have problems with rounded off bolts.

Edit:  Just as a quick update, here's detail of the machining around the flat surfaces of the piece.  It at first thought it was left over from forming, but it's too deliberate to be that way.  You can see the machining both on the outside and inside (in the wrench portion) of the tool.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:50:44 AM by jekostas »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 03:54:43 AM

The place is called discoverybargain.com.  If you just look up "Navy" in the search bar it's the first one.  There's also a seller on eBay that sells them called "alfresco_gear".

Thank you.  :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:29 AM

The blade has held up quite well.  The wrenches I would say are pretty good, but not on the level of a dedicated piece - the machining does provide good grip but you'll have problems with rounded off bolts.

Edit:  Just as a quick update, here's detail of the machining around the flat surfaces of the piece.  It at first thought it was left over from forming, but it's too deliberate to be that way.  You can see the machining both on the outside and inside (in the wrench portion) of the tool.

(Image removed from quote.)

J-sews may chime up from experience, but I think those are waterjet marks.  btw, most Atwood tools with wrenches have those marks as well.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:30 AM
J-sews may chime up from experience, but I think those are waterjet marks.  btw, most Atwood tools with wrenches have those marks as well.

Hm.  Didn't think of that.  Works great in it's unintended purpose, then.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:42 AM
Very good review, thank you!

If you know, are these small Navy branded tools supposed to be made/sold by the same people that make the Navy knives sold by e.g. Exduct?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:36 AM
looks like a usefull tool , good review  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:05 PM
i would be too concerned for my fingers to use any tool like this
I

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:45 PM
Very good review, thank you!

If you know, are these small Navy branded tools supposed to be made/sold by the same people that make the Navy knives sold by e.g. Exduct?

I'm pretty sure it's the same company, but don't quote me on that - I haven't yet found a manufacturer's website for Navy.

Unfortunately, this tool is no longer in my possession.  It didn't break, it didn't get lost, my wife saw it and thought it was cute.

This morning I woke up to find she'd taken it to work with her.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:02 AM
is the blade chisel ground?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 01:51:09 AM
is the blade chisel ground?

Nope, dual-side hollow ground.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:50:30 AM
Definite waterjet cut marks there. :salute:  Great review and pics Jeko! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline shecky

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 04:35:39 AM
I broke down and got one of these. I'd say the review is spot on.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
Just as a quick update to this thread, after temporarily wresting control of the K1001 back from my wife, I got my hands on some scrap kydex and made a small fitted sheath for it.  Much safer to use now.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 03:21:21 AM
That seems like an extremely good idea....  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%