Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paladin PT-540

J-sews · 126 · 30840

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Paladin PT-540
Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:48 AM
I always thought AO blades were best when the knife could be in hand and situated the way you want it within 2 seconds or so...the Powerassist needs to be unsheathed, then you have to feel around for the side with the blades, then you have to know which blade you're going to deploy...

It's a good idea, but not good enough to forfeit a handle full of drivers/an awl/bit driver/etc...
[

us Offline carl

Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:36 AM
I just joined this forum and, wow, what a great resource!  All the questions I asked Supratentorial about regarding the PT-540 is answered in this thread.  Greta pics too!  I was glad to be informed that the blades are not any longer than on the Powerlock - that's unfortunate.  Its still a very impressive MT!  I also noticed only one square tool cover stop on Supratentorial's PT-540 handles and two on J-sews PT-540 so it shows that they're slowly improving it as they go.  If only they would design a tool lock good enough to make all the tools accessible with the handles closed.  The current SOG/PT locking mechanism apparently doesn't provide enough locking power so safety is an issue (don't want the tools, especially a blade closing on some fingers!)  However, Victorinox made a good enough lock so their tools open without opening the handles.  Gerber even did it with their Freehand.  Now its SOG's turn.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 03:21:53 AM
Good eye for small details there Carl. Must say I agree with you on where SOG should focus their efforts. Everyone agrees that they make fine quality tools, better in many respects than their competitors. Yet most folks seriously dislike the number of steps required to access a PowerLock knife blade.

If only SOG could work on improving that a bit....... :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 03:49:05 AM
Yeah, I totally agree. SOG makes a very fine Extraordinary ( no pun intended!) multi-tool. But the design is old old old technology. Seriously, look at the locks-how simple are they, or the 'doors' just to cover up the old technology! I personally think SOG can make some of the best tools! But, they have to stop with the dated designs!!!
B

us Offline carl

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 08:29:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here spoken with SOG about their dated locks?  What was their response?  Does SOG know that their design priority needs to be placed on their locks rather than on nice but non-essential features such as power-assist, etc. ?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 02:27:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here spoken with SOG about their dated locks?  What was their response?  Does SOG know that their design priority needs to be placed on their locks rather than on nice but non-essential features such as power-assist, etc. ?

For better or for worse, SOG placed their design priority on locks last year. The result was "piano locks" like the ones shown below.

(picture from SOG website)

* piano locks.jpg (Filesize: 33.14 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 02:31:33 AM
Agreed that they needed to upgrade the locks, but I hope they come up with a better steel for the cutting edge on the now powerplay. Unfortunatly I feel that the steel used now is really substandard.(not that tools are known for really having great steel.) Vic, and leatherman really did themselves a favor by sticking with good steel on hte Vic, and great steel on the leatherman in 154C
S

us Offline carl

Reply #37 on: February 03, 2008, 06:42:21 AM

For better or for worse, SOG placed their design priority on locks last year. The result was "piano locks" like the ones shown below.

(picture from SOG website)
[/quote]

Oh well (sigh).........I guess we're in for inside opening tools rather than outside openers for a good while to come.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 03, 2008, 07:21:38 AM
I'm wondering if there are some design patents on it that prevent everyone doing it?

us Offline carl

Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 09:05:19 AM
I was wondering the same thing.  After all, there's only so many different ways to design a lock while keeping it compact yet effective.  I was hoping the Paladin folks could design something since they seem to have some influence on their version of MTs.   

us Offline carl

Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 04:35:30 AM
Just saw a previous Leatherman design contest.  If SOG initiated one for their locks to open their tools from the outside, I would like to participate.  Is this just a dumb idea, an unsolicited offer to SOG that they don't want?  I wonder if I should email them and find out.  Any moderators here have any opinion on this?   thanks   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:05 AM
SOG usually keeps their design creativity pretty close to home. Hopefully they will realize the advantages of outside opening blades with the advent of the PowerAssist, and focus some of their expertise on flipping the handles around on the rest of their tools. Outside opening blades on SOG's are an idea that is long overdue.

(Anything to get rid of those silly flaps on the handles!) :P

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:47 PM
I might be getting a PT-525 soon, but what I really want is a 510.
[

us Offline carl

Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 05:41:08 AM
Hopefully they will realize the advantages of outside opening blades with the advent of the PowerAssist, and focus some of their expertise on flipping the handles around on the rest of their tools.

(Anything to get rid of those silly flaps on the handles!) :P
We can only hope...........

Offline Dzinn

Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:20 AM
Either I'm looking in all the wrong places or this MT is really hard to attain from European retailers :(

Normally if it's not directly imported to Scandinavia, Germany is your best shot at trying to get a hold of nifty US export items. But that doesn't apply on the PT-540, which is sad really. Seems like a great tool and I'd love to add it to my tool belt.

Guess I'm gonna have to order it in from the US directly, adding intercontinental shipping costs on top of a considerable amount of money for the PT-540 itself. Ah well, guess in the end it's probably worth it :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:39 AM
Welcome to the forum mate :tu:

And yes there very difficult to find in Europe I'm affraid :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 04:32:53 AM
Having owned a Sog I can tell you, you won't be disapointed.
(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 05:15:58 AM
To be honest this tool is built even better than most other SOG's I've handled. Don't know why that would be, but it is.  :)

Offline Dzinn

Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :tu:

Does anyone know if it's available in England?

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 03:59:19 PM
Yes but you are not going to like the price :o Only place i've found it so far, could be one somewhere else but i haven't found it yet :)
http://uk.farnell.com/paladin-tools/6510/multi-tool/dp/1421889
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 08:44:16 PM
£160 inc delivery?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :o :o :o :o :o

SOD THAT!
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 01:12:45 AM
I can manage without it I think. £160, that's taking the p**s that is.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Dzinn

Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:47 AM
Yes but you are not going to like the price :o Only place i've found it so far, could be one somewhere else but i haven't found it yet :)
http://uk.farnell.com/paladin-tools/6510/multi-tool/dp/1421889
Thanks for the link, looked up if there was a Swedish division and found this: http://se.farnell.com/paladin-tools/6510/multi-tool/dp/1421889

2072.7 SEK (kr) = $235.94 = £166.38 = a tad much :(

Still, getting closer heh...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:14:58 AM by Dzinn »

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 05:40:50 AM
you know i was looking at getting one of those, but now.  i think i'll pass for two reasons, first the cost the second the size!  holy spandex batman!  thats friggin huge!!!
'

Offline tanker

Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 06:37:36 AM
kind of same case here. Looks like a terrific MT that once I looked forward to have, but it´s too expensive and too specific for me.
T

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:30 PM
It may be huge, but I still want one.  :)
I'm back!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:03 PM
might be big but not specific, its a sog, just take the blades you wont use and put some for your specific job :)
A

Offline Dzinn

Reply #57 on: March 03, 2009, 09:10:35 PM
Looks like a damn good tool to me, and yeah it's a SOG, customizable and all.
The cost of getting one, not the price on the MT itself is what's holding me back.

And regarding the size, I don't really see any drawbacks other than the volume it occupies wherever I might carry it when not using it, and to me that's not reason enough to put it aside.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:17 AM
They make smaller versions of it.
(

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 05:46:33 AM
How does the 525 compare with the 540?

It looks as though it doesn't have the wire stripper on the head, but it's hard to tell from the photos on the web.

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD