Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #420 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:53 AM
You set of smurfs!  :twak:

This thread being resurrected was the tipping point in me deciding to upgrade my DE system. I previously had a black plastic coated Wilkinson Sword model which has served me really well, but occasionally suffers a bit of a judder after the first pass, and I also have a cheap and nasty own brand from Boots the Chemist. The Boots one has a metal head and plastic handle, which sometimes spins on the thread insert making it a real swine to change the blade. I also have a very cute teeny little travel razor, which takes up no space in your travel toiletries bag, but can be a little awkward to shave with.

I needed some more blades and aftershave balm anyway, and started looking at what Shaving Shack had to offer. I was tied between a Sheffield made Edwin Jagger 3D Diamond, and a Parker 22 "Interceptor" in gunmetal finish. Unfortunately there aren't any butterfly openers made in Sheffield, so in true MTO style I ordered both

:facepalm:

I did get a free pack of Bluebeards Revenge blades, free shipping, and a 10% discount on top, so I don't feel too guilty. The two cheapos have actually lasted about 15 years, so these two cover the next couple of decades  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #421 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:00 AM
I DE shave most of the time but also play around with straights once.  I have been DE'ing for about 6 months now and about 2 months with straights.  My favorite DE razor is the Wolfman!  Don't have a favorite straight but I have a few different ones including an Universal Shavette and a Parker SR1 stainless shavette!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:15:03 AM by sir_mike »

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #422 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:23 AM
This place has this effect doesn't it lol.

I have an old Gillette de and a moderately recent merkur adjustable.  The razor in the photo is an aqua di Parma Mach 3 jobbie. Not the best but very comfortable and fast to use.

The shavette was a punt. They are cheaper to buy than a traditional cut throat. But harder to use because of the blade. I've got a couple of rolls razors too but quite frankly they scare the smurf out of me.

I used one a year ago and cut myself 7 times. I'm not going to say never again. But not in the near future!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #423 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:38 AM
I have several old razors, including a Rolls and a Darwin. Never attempted a full shave with any of them though  :D

Here's a couple of stock images of the the two that are inbound

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #424 on: August 25, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
Both look good mate
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #425 on: August 25, 2015, 03:20:42 AM
Thanks mate.

Oh, and I've discovered the black one I currently have is a Wilkinson Sword Classic. Significantly better than the Boots one, and was a fraction of the cost of the two I just ordered. Very interested to see how they compare.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #426 on: August 27, 2015, 03:28:30 PM
Ok all set for the morning

(Image removed from quote.)

So..... is your face still attached, or did it fall in the sink?

:P

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #427 on: August 27, 2015, 10:42:39 PM
Well, I knew a barbershop opened a little down the street but have yet to check it out. So today after grabbing a bite to eat with the wife at the subway right next door I went in to ask a few questions. Pretty much, straight razor, and how much? So yes, straight and $10.. It's been on my bucket list to get one, maybe next month, heck haircuts are only $12 unlike these fancy salons where it's over $20! So maybe I'll take the boys in rather then just buzzing them with the clippers and they won't whimper!  :cry:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #428 on: August 28, 2015, 12:03:14 AM
Well, I knew a barbershop opened a little down the street but have yet to check it out. So today after grabbing a bite to eat with the wife at the subway right next door I went in to ask a few questions. Pretty much, straight razor, and how much? So yes, straight and $10.. It's been on my bucket list to get one, maybe next month, heck haircuts are only $12 unlike these fancy salons where it's over $20! So maybe I'll take the boys in rather then just buzzing them with the clippers and they won't whimper!  :cry:
JR

A good barber shop is something that (for me) is a must. Last time I moved losing my barber was a bummer. Had been going there for years.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #429 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:00 AM
JR

A good barber shop is something that (for me) is a must. Last time I moved losing my barber was a bummer. Had been going there for years.
I'd always prefer a barber over a salon, but my head is either buzzed or shaved, I haven't had someone do either for over 17yrs, I just can't see paying someone for a 2min job I can do. But I've never had a straight shave, nor anyone else do it(well besides the one time I let the wife, we won't go there) so it's been on my bucket list for some time now! There's another barber a little further down the road, and was on my to do list for the last 3yrs, but just never did..
JR
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:36:52 AM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #430 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:30 AM

Still attached. I cut myself twice. One small nick another a bit more serious. But hey the rest of my face was pretty good after. It's a learning curve. All be it a pretty steep one.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #431 on: August 28, 2015, 08:37:32 AM

Still attached. I cut myself twice. One small nick another a bit more serious. But hey the rest of my face was pretty good after. It's a learning curve. All be it a pretty steep one.
Well that's not to bad, best of luck, just take your time!
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #432 on: August 29, 2015, 09:37:04 PM
I picked up a parcel from the PO today...
IMG_20150829_180402_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180402_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 58.59 KB)
IMG_20150829_180434_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180434_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 35.83 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #433 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:13 PM
I really like both of these, and will be taking the Parker 22 for it's maiden voyage shortly  ;)
IMG_20150829_180909_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180909_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 46.47 KB)
IMG_20150829_180719_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180719_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 37.97 KB)
IMG_20150829_180600_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180600_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 47.17 KB)
IMG_20150829_180620_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20150829_180620_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 44.86 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #434 on: August 29, 2015, 09:50:06 PM
Nice :tu:
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #435 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:57 PM
Just had the first session with the Parker "Interceptor". I'd used the beard trimmer a couple of days ago on number 2 and had trimmed up with the Wilkinson Classic. I decided to go for a Van Dyke tonight, so the new razor would be tackling stubble and heavier growth. I went with a Wilkinson Sword blade as a control measure, as that was my standard go to blade for years, and would have a better comparison between razors.

Handle. Go comfortable grip and never felt like I didn't have control or that it may slip. Some reviews said there was a chance of it unscrewing slightly but the handle was secure throughout

First pass. I could tell instantly that is was shaving the stubble better than the Wilko Classic. The sound and feel were both different. The weight of the Interceptor helped, and were it not for the sound I'd have thought I was running the razor over and area I'd already shaved.

When I got to the heavier growth, different story. The Wilko would have removed the heavier growth quicker, but would have clogged, and I'd have had to loosen the head, rinse, retighten, and continue. The Parker clogged quicker in as much as it stopped shaving and started riding sooner than the Wilko would, but after a rinse the head was clear without having to loosen it.

Second pass. Better results than the Wilko would have given on three passes. Some redness around the neck

Third pass. Definite warmth on the skin and a blotchy neck, but a superior shave. Didn't quite get everything under the chin at the bottom of the beard, but that was me skipping the cross pass (against the grain) to head straight for the cold rinse and balm before the neck got too angry.

Definitely an aggressive shave compared to the Wilko, but will need a couple more uses to tune into it and get the best from it. Money well spent I think.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #436 on: August 30, 2015, 02:45:45 AM

i've lived in New Jersey for 29 years.  In that time, I've gone to exactly three different barbers.  ::)

Those razors look nice Al.  :tu:  I've been using a cheapo I picked up in a drug store for about two months now, and I love it.  Time for an upgrade I think.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline jrp316

Reply #437 on: August 30, 2015, 03:34:10 AM
I'm normally a straight razor shave guy, but I'll use a DE when I need to get a quick 'shave and go'.  Most of my shave gear, with the exception of a Gold Dollar razor, is all vintage. I have three Gencos, two Shumates, two Crane Cutlery and a few others in my straight collection. All Gillette vintage DEs (Super Speeds mostly, one Fatboy).

Ironically, it was Gillette that drove me to the straight razor team. At the time, I was using a Gillette Fusion that I picked up on sale with a set of five cartridges. The cartridges, as they're wont to do, wore out after a time. As such, I went to the store to get more. Whereas I expected that a pack of 10 would cost somewhere around $15-$20, I was sorely mistaken. A pack of 5 was $30! After I picked my jaw up off of Walmart's floor, I said the heck with it. I'll take that same $30 and go buy a straight razor that I can use forever.

I spent $50 on my first shave kit, which included a vintage straight (Crane Cutlery), budget strop, Parker brush and a puck of Proraso. I haven't been back since, nor have I had a desire to do so. I wish now that I could go back and tell my younger, teenage self to put down the disposables and pick up a straight and a brush. Maybe that would've helped my acne situation way back then.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #438 on: August 30, 2015, 01:46:02 PM
My merkur that caused me all the grief yesterday

One of the reasons I love it is it's so heavy

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #439 on: August 30, 2015, 06:39:06 PM

She's a beauty Smashie, :tu: I've always had my eye on that one, especially with a nice weight to it, but the cost is out of my range.
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #440 on: August 30, 2015, 06:42:22 PM

That certainly looks a solid lump :tu:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #441 on: September 19, 2015, 02:43:04 PM
I bought a as seen on tv DE razor on clearance for 8.00 got out my grandfathers brush and cup and bought some shaving soap from the grocery store for 2.00. The razor was easy to use but did not shave very close probably the razor is not very good. The 2.00 soap was very good. Using a cup and brush is way better than any shaving cream or gel I have ever used. I get a very close shave using my resharpened three or four blade razors and shaving soap. I shave once with the grain then once against the grain. The soap leaves my face as smooth as a baby's but. Even if I have not shaved in a few days I sharpen the blade and I can shave with no drag at all. I can't believe no one else is resharpening their blades I got eleven months out of my last blade. The blade I am using now is a Mk III that was in a razor that was under my sink for years. I still want to try a better DE razor I have been on the look out for one at flea markets. I may have to break down and buy a good one. 
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #442 on: September 19, 2015, 03:52:32 PM
I bought a as seen on tv DE razor (...)

Excuse my ignorance but how you go about sharpening them?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #443 on: September 19, 2015, 04:00:38 PM
I bought a as seen on tv DE razor (...)

Excuse my ignorance but how you go about sharpening them?

You don't, you replace the blades  :salute:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #444 on: September 19, 2015, 05:34:57 PM
Here is a You Tube video razor Sharping I only strop 10 times but I think 20 times will work. I have not done DE blades yet but I bet will work. It's like using a steel to straightening a kitchen knife edge.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #445 on: September 20, 2015, 05:00:53 PM
Here is a You Tube video razor Sharping I only strop 10 times but I think 20 times will work. I have not done DE blades yet but I bet will work. It's like using a steel to straightening a kitchen knife edge.

:facepalm: I was aware of this, but by some weird reason, I was thinking you would remove blade and somehow sharpen it on a stone or abrasive paper... It really didn't cross my mind. Thank you for clarifying!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #446 on: September 22, 2015, 05:55:01 PM
Must get one of these or similar...

:tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:57:23 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #447 on: September 22, 2015, 06:07:10 PM
Must get one of these or similar...

:tu: :tu:
Omg that one is freaking cool!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #448 on: September 24, 2015, 03:19:27 AM
Gotta comb out the knots..
JR

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #449 on: September 24, 2015, 04:04:08 AM
Lol, nice pic....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!