Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wingman: not recommended

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Re: Leatherman Wingman: not recommended
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:10 AM
I have a Wingman, and I am liking it. I got it for about $25 (USD). Its nice to have a tool I can beat to death and never worry about it. The scissors work fine for me....

It was definitely worth the money I paid for it.   

Agreed and this is why I carry it frequently.  I have "better" tools like the Vic Spirit X, the Wave and the Rebar but the Wingman is great for $25.  I like the large scissors and on both of mine, they work well.  It has done everything I've asked of it thus far and I'm not afraid to abuse it.

us Offline wildcatmo

Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 05:40:09 PM
I too have "better tools" but it's a very nice tool for the money. I have one in my vehicle and use it most everyday. The clamshell opener works great. I would recommend this tool.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 05:44:14 PM
Wow. Sounds to me like Powernoodle got a dud. I bought Lynn's off her (nice catch 'n' release!), and I've been quite impressed, considering the price.

That's the key. You have to evaluate it in terms of value, IMHO. It's not intended to be a replacement for the Wave or Charge, but rather brings some of their functionality (one-hand opening knife, pocket clip, comfortably grip) to an entry-level tool; on those terms, I think it succeeds splendidly.

Yeah, I wish it had the same sorts wire cutters as the bigger tools; since even the Kick has 'em, I don't really see how that saves any cost, unless that finishing operation is a lot more complex than I thought. The sort of wire I typically use a MT on is copper electrical wire, and so far the Wingman has handled that well.

And yeah, I'd prefer it if the implements locked, but the PST/PST-II/Wave drivers don't lock either, and those were my EDC tools for almost twenty years without incident. And while Powernoodle's scissors (more accurately, the lock) were obviously faulty, I see no inherent flaw in the design. They aren't intended for marathon cutting sessions.

What I appreciate most about the Wingman (and by extension, it's stablemate Sidekick) is the philosophy: Leatherman is making the effort to bring higher-end functionality and fit & finish to a much lower price-point. And for that I commend them.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 02:51:28 PM
Yes and no- I agree with you that it's not supposed to be a replacement for a Wave or Charge, but it is meant to be an only tool.  The vast majority of multitool buyers and users are not MTO members and only have one tool.  We are looking at it from the perspective of someone who has a choice of tools, not from the perspective of someone who buys a tool to use, doesn't want to spend a lot of money and really doesn't plan to research it or give it much thought.

That person may consider replacing it when/if it breaks or is lost, and that's what Leatherman is hoping for.  They think that if they get into the low end market to compete with the cheap knockoffs you see in all the home Depots and Wal Marts then they will get the brand name out there, and hopefully folks will replace them with a "better" Leatherman when the time comes.  This is what Gerber was trying to do with their cheaper line, but it backfired on them. 

It's not a replacement for a Wave or Charge, but it is aimed at people who wouldn't buy a Wave or Charge anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline dumluk

Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:51 PM
I really like my WM--for the price.  I got it for $20, and at that, it can't be beat.  It certainly won't replace my Charge or even my Skeletool, but it's still a decent tool.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 10:27:48 PM
I have had my wingman for about a year, and I too have issues with the scissors. its impossible cut cloth with it. It cuts paper an cartboard easily, but not cloth. also the wirecutter is not great.
I do however think its a good tool for the price.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:19 PM
While I'm not that impressed with the scissors am I the only one who actually finds the wire cutters effective ? My Wingman was able to cut thin wire that my Spirit didnt make a clean cut of.

us Offline xdalaw

Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 09:22:33 PM
I just got a Wingman.  I paid $20.00 on ebay and am very pleased.

I am probably the person the tool was intended for: one who wants to have a handy and versatile tool handy for quick and simple tasks.  But, I'm not a tradesman or a big do it yourselfer, so the shortcomings aren't critical to me.  The price and basic capability are perfect for me, and I am the person who couldn't see paying more than about $30.00 for such and item.

Just my 2 cents.

us Offline blooper

Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:16 PM
the wingman was my first "full-size" MT. and honestly, it was pretty nice to have such useful tools on me all the time. yea, the quality isnt top notch, i noticed this after i picked up a micra, and even more so after i picked up a skeletool. but for what it's worth. i think having "14" tools with me all the time in such a small package for under 25 bucks is not something to think twice about.

Offline jets1230

Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:23 AM
Had one broke one within a week of buying it so to sum it up ? p.o.s. can't polish a turd! And when I broke it my gerber dime finished the job! Sorry I had to vent over this crap

us Offline blooper

Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 01:06:43 AM
just curious which part of the wingman broke on you. the pliers always concerned me.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:52 AM
Had one broke one within a week of buying it so to sum it up ? p.o.s. can't polish a turd! And when I broke it my gerber dime finished the job! Sorry I had to vent over this crap

I bet Def can :think: :P :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Stickmunch

• New User
Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:33 AM
Well.. I hate to interject here but.. ya know.. being the Interwebs and all.. I must.

I have a Kick, Fuse, S2, etc.. Vs. the Wingman, here's what I've found. I do love me those spring loaded pliers. Those I love. Quick action getting to your most used tools? You bet. The wingman clumps when you pull "one" tool out but I don't really care about that mostly. Scissors and Knife blade, heck yeah.. We can get those within seconds. I have yet to have a issue with the scissors so I don't understand the argument.

You go to use the tool though outside of the scissors and the pliers, that's where things get interesting.  First off, the Phillips head sucks for recessed screws. 2d and it dings up the star pattern on the turn off, not to mention the whole tool twists while putting some grunt to it. Secondly, the phillips is too wide for  recessed screws that I've come up against.

The whole smash and grab job of the plier design.. Whatever, it's done what I've needed it too. If I get a Fuse with a nite-ize pocket clip and I have locking tools, more reach, a 3d phillips and a better plier design for about 10 bucks more cash.. Not to mention it's over 1 oz less in carry weight. My suggestion, get the fuse while you still can, couple that with a spyderco ladybug and you're set.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:41 AM
just get a leatherman charge freaks.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline twbranch

Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 04:33:17 AM
I've had a wingman for a while. never had an issue with it. In fact it does its job daily!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:41 AM
Well.. I hate to interject here but.. ya know.. being the Interwebs and all.. I must.

I have a Kick, Fuse, S2, etc.. Vs. the Wingman, here's what I've found. I do love me those spring loaded pliers. Those I love. Quick action getting to your most used tools? You bet. The wingman clumps when you pull "one" tool out but I don't really care about that mostly. Scissors and Knife blade, heck yeah.. We can get those within seconds. I have yet to have a issue with the scissors so I don't understand the argument.

You go to use the tool though outside of the scissors and the pliers, that's where things get interesting.  First off, the Phillips head sucks for recessed screws. 2d and it dings up the star pattern on the turn off, not to mention the whole tool twists while putting some grunt to it. Secondly, the phillips is too wide for  recessed screws that I've come up against.

The whole smash and grab job of the plier design.. Whatever, it's done what I've needed it too. If I get a Fuse with a nite-ize pocket clip and I have locking tools, more reach, a 3d phillips and a better plier design for about 10 bucks more cash.. Not to mention it's over 1 oz less in carry weight. My suggestion, get the fuse while you still can, couple that with a spyderco ladybug and you're set.

Agreed. 

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 08:52:11 PM
In my experience, when non-MT.org people think Leatherman, they think Wave - its their most popular for a reason. Then, when they finally go shopping for a Wave, they get sticker shock and jump down to a cheaper option. I think these tools are really for those people looking for something Wave style, but at a less intimidating price point.  I really have no problem with Leatherman competing in this market.

Oh, and in response to the original OP. The Leatherman name is not just stamped into the plier head, its actual a expensive process. I remember reading on here that by deleting that from the Pliers it saves around $10 from the retail cost!
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 05:50:17 AM
In my experience, when non-MT.org people think Leatherman, they think Wave - its their most popular for a reason. Then, when they finally go shopping for a Wave, they get sticker shock and jump down to a cheaper option. I think these tools are really for those people looking for something Wave style, but at a less intimidating price point.  I really have no problem with Leatherman competing in this market.

Oh, and in response to the original OP. The Leatherman name is not just stamped into the plier head, its actual a expensive process. I remember reading on here that by deleting that from the Pliers it saves around $10 from the retail cost!

You got a link to that discussion?  A $10 savings for the end user seems a bit high for omitting a stamp in a die.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 03:58:06 AM

You got a link to that discussion?  A $10 savings for the end user seems a bit high for omitting a stamp in a die.

does seem like a lot.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 07:33:14 PM
I just got a Wingman.  I paid $20.00 on ebay and am very pleased.

I am probably the person the tool was intended for: one who wants to have a handy and versatile tool handy for quick and simple tasks.  But, I'm not a tradesman or a big do it yourselfer, so the shortcomings aren't critical to me.  The price and basic capability are perfect for me, and I am the person who couldn't see paying more than about $30.00 for such and item.

Just my 2 cents.

This sums it up for me as well I would say.  I just got mine yesterday, so it obviously hasn't had much use yet, but from the playing around I've done, I see no issue with it.  I will mention one of the big selling points though to me (besides the great price), which is the spring loaded pliers.  I love them, and have already made use of them for a couple small tasks.  I had an easier time of it with the Wingman pliers as opposed to the normal "manual" style of all the others I own.  I don't think it feels as cheap as the price may suggest, so for under $25, I can't complain at all.  I am no tradesman or handyman by any means, so this is more than sufficient for my normal daily life.  I only wish I'd gotten one sooner as I may have saved some money by not buying so many other MTs...riiiiight ::)  So yeah, I am impressed with my Wingman :tu:
K-Tibbs

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 08:23:17 PM
the tide is turning !  :D
long live the 'WINGY'  :drink:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 11:56:13 PM
Still rather have a Suspension!

Yes,yes I know...burn the heretic :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:29 AM
Still rather have a Suspension!

Yes,yes I know...burn the heretic :facepalm:

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
Leatherman

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:48 AM
I like the look and feel of the wingman. After carrying it a bit I now would pick it over most other tools in its price range. I got the sidekick at Home Depot and prefer it more. Plus the price was great!
I prefer the fuse but then again this tool cost me less.

us Offline afi1

Reply #54 on: November 01, 2013, 02:18:15 AM
I was at work last week and in the front pocket of an Officer that used to be on my watch I saw a MT with a pocket clip.  I asked him if it was a Leatherman Wingman, and he said yes.  He is a non-knife/MT guy, and I was somewhat surprised he was carrying one.  He let me play around with it- the first time I've handled one.  I really liked the spring loaded pliers!  This feature should be used on all tools.  The spring pressure was just right, too- Not overpowering.  The overall finish of the tool lacked compared to Leatherman's higher end tools, but was still very good for the price point.  The one hand opening main blade is a nice touch at $30, and lockup was good.  I wish it was plain edge, but you can't win 'em all.  All in all a decent tool.  I doubt I'll pick one up as a tool that size doesn't fit into my EDC system and it doesn't do anything that my Gerber MP600's don't for bag/vehicle carry.  I would recommend it to non-knife types though as I'm sure it would serve their needs just fine and not break the bank.  It might even get them addicted as we all are.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 04:09:45 AM
I was at work last week and in the front pocket of an Officer that used to be on my watch I saw a MT with a pocket clip.  I asked him if it was a Leatherman Wingman, and he said yes.  He is a non-knife/MT guy, and I was somewhat surprised he was carrying one.  He let me play around with it- the first time I've handled one.  I really liked the spring loaded pliers!  This feature should be used on all tools.  The spring pressure was just right, too- Not overpowering.  The overall finish of the tool lacked compared to Leatherman's higher end tools, but was still very good for the price point.  The one hand opening main blade is a nice touch at $30, and lockup was good.  I wish it was plain edge, but you can't win 'em all.  All in all a decent tool.  I doubt I'll pick one up as a tool that size doesn't fit into my EDC system and it doesn't do anything that my Gerber MP600's don't for bag/vehicle carry.  I would recommend it to non-knife types though as I'm sure it would serve their needs just fine and not break the bank.  It might even get them addicted as we all are.

+1-this is exactly what I think. 
K-Tibbs

hr Offline styx

Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:07 AM
This is a very interesting review. Just goes to show that tastes differ from person to person
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 01:46:08 PM
This is a very interesting review. Just goes to show that tastes differ from person to person

Very true, which is part of what makes this place great-fun, analytical discussions :D
K-Tibbs

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:04 PM
All sorts of problems with my wingman. The scissors are utter nail busters to get out. They actually get properly lodged in the tool if you fold them back into the handle. Have to pry it out with a key or PS4 driver. The file/ruler/flathead tool seems really weak. Little things bother me too, like how the drivers have the plus and minus symbols on them. Its like 'derrr, I can tell this is the cross headed driver'.

In the end I traded it for a Victorinox Outrider.

Definitely get either Rebar instead, or save another week for a Wave.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 06:00:03 PM
Friend of mine has one, it was actually the multi tool they got me in to MT s.
But I have never owned a sidekick or wingman. Why I personally don't think it has very useful tools.
The saw on the sidekick is only for cutting pencils.
He thought on getting a leatherman wave but did not upgrade. It is more due to sentimental feelings for the tool.
The multitool is the only thing in my life where I do not cut corners on.
It is extremely useful and may be lifesaving in some situations.
I will probably use it for years so that 100 euros does not really bother me.
His sidekick does work great tough after 5 years of edc abuse.
Only gripe is that everything has play on it and that the file/screwdriver is bend.
Something that has been said many times, I love the spring in the pliers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%