Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did you ever stop carrying a plier-based tool?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: October 19, 2011, 01:16:15 AM
I've been carrying all manner of plier-based MTs for a long time - mostly via belt carry, but sometimes a smaller flavor like a Juice S2 in my pocket.

I've figured out that I almost never use the dang thing.  I carry it not because I need to, but just in case.  I work from home (on a  laptop at the kitchen table) so I am never far from an MT.  I have an MT in the Man Sack in my Suburban, so thats not an issue either.

I don't really need to carry an MT.  I do it just because it makes me feel good.

But I'm stretching my wings and am trying to go without an EDC MT.  Instead I've reverted to my trusty Leatherman Explorer Plus.  I actually do use the magnifier and tweezers from time to time.   I've gone for a whole day now without a plier-based MT on my belt, and I actually survived. 

I carry a bunch of EDC stuff, from a Blackberry to a pistol, and one less thing on my belt is sorta nice.

So have any of you MT addicts who carry a plier-based MT regularly tried going without one for a while?  I'm not talking about you guys who actually use the things at work, but the rest of us who carry one just for the heck of it.

I may well revert to a belt carried MT, but for now I'm getting by one day at a time without one.  What about you?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Did you ever stop carrying a plier-based tool?
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:17 AM
I carried an original Supertool for about 7 years while at work, but then I took a few years off work and stopped carrying.  That was pretty much when I got into buying, carrying and modding SAKs, though I did have a couple before then.

TBH it was all I needed and I genuinely can't think of a time in the following three years where I would have been better off with some pliers. :shrug:  I suppose it all depends on what you do with your time, and if your hobby or interests might require a MT for example.  But for most people, day-to-day, I think a good SAK can cover most eventualities.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:53 AM
  But for most people, day-to-day, I think a good SAK can cover most eventualities.  :)
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that, Gareth. My SAK sees 99% of my tool use at work and at home. I DO like having the pliers of a MT handy, but they aren't an everyday use thing. It seems like the only time I REALLY need them are the times that I don't have it on me (of course  >:() but for most day-to-day activities, I can honestly say that with my Farmer (or Tinker, Super Tinker, Deluxe Tinker, Explorer, Champion Plus, Pioneer, etc.,etc,) I'll be able to do what I need to do. The Really BIG question, of course, is which SAK? ??? :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:28 AM
I`ll try not to get into a lot of history here but just say that I started carrying a pair of pliers when I was 16 (1972). Since that time there have been periods when I have not carried them because of different jobs later in life. I started to edc a plier base MT some in 98. They spent most of their time in my pack. That changed because of a job change in 07. Now I`m seldom without a plier MT at work or edc and wonder why I didnt start carrying them sooner. I could get by without them if need be even tho I wouldnt like it. So since I dont need to I dont.   :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:08:59 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:18 AM
I've been working for the same company since I was 15, now 22, and I have moved around quite a bit as they have needed me in different areas. Almost every move has required less of an EDC tool. I've moved from a Wave and a folding utility knife, to a Charge ALX, then a Skeletool, then a Tinker, then an E33bx, to now...which requires almost nothing daily. I have an EDC bag that I keep in the car just in case I have to drive truck for a day or two, which has my Charge and a few other tools. The Tinker now resides in my desk, because its cheaper to replace than if someone were to walk off with my Wave. In my pocket is now a Style CS, and a Vic Rambler on my keys. That gets me through just about every day anymore.

I have been carrying my sidekick, because its new, but I probably wont for much longer.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:01:10 AM
Honestly, I stopped carrying a full-sized pliers based tool when I stopped running my painting company some 10 years ago (broken backs are bad, don't get those).  I still carry a pocket knife or small pliers-based tool on me, though, mostly out of habit.  My pocket knives do get regular work and my PS4, while beaten 10 ways from Sunday, handles the rest of it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:11:51 AM
I carried a SAK every day in the pocket since I was twelve. My first one was the wenger commander snife waves. I broke the bottle opener on it while using it as a wrench to turn a small screw. Later I got a wenger forester which was my edc for the next 12 years. In the mean time my SAK collection grew but that forester tool setup remained my favorite. The only tool I always missed and wished my trusty SAK had was a pair of pliers. That's when I discovered Leathermans. I carried a surge and then a wave but never really needed all that power for everyday tasks. When I was out, the smaller ones could do all the work needed and when I was in the workshop, there were enough of dedicated pliers ( :ahhh I know ) around. I carried the skeletool since it came out until this year when I fell in love with the Juice line. I now have all of them exept the eXtra Everything :D and use them often. There were a few times in the last few weeks when I went without, with just a SAK or a slippie, and go figure, stuff happened I could have easily solved had I carried a Juice, like a WGA-cable stuck in one of those screws with a  hole in the back, or a loose screw on my bike,...

SMURFIN' MURPHY, how does he know when to strike? :ahhh

So I say, why go without. It doesnt have to be a ST or a Surge. A Juice or skele will do just fine for EDC. A juice is thinner and shorter than a 4 layered Vic, weight is about the same and if you carry a primary folder with you the blade shouldn't be an issue. And as much as I like my Explorer, a fresnel lens in the wallet will do good too. Just my too cents.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:14:55 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:35:08 AM
I think this same thought every time my belt sheath catches on something, but to be honest i just like the security.  I tend to use the crap out of my Blast at home, but it's really not the pliers that I use that much, it's the screwdrivers.  I can't stand going anywhere without locking drivers.  I guess I could go with a smaller MT like the Fuse, but since the Blast doesn't weigh too much I don't mind it.  I always have my SAK on me and it sees a ton of use, but I really do use the tools on my Blast for most medium duty.  It's gotten to the point that I don't even realize my Blast is on my hip at all until I need it.  I realize when it's NOT there though! 

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:56:50 PM
I have an office job, so I don't need a pliers MT for work. A large SAK, or folder + keyring SAK is fine. But I have one MT each in my two backpacks, so there's always one in reach. I like knowing I have something for every eventuality. I'm really suprised more people don't carry one. At my bar work I was the only person out of 20 employees who had a set of pliers on them.   

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:44:27 PM
I  carried my PST/Pulse for years at work because I'd occasionally need to open a computer case or apply lots of force in a small space. When I started doing less hands-on work I scaled back to just my Vic Classic and left the MT in my bag.

In the past couple of years I've gotten back into carrying a sheath on my hip. At first it was because I'd asked for (and got) a Charge TTi for my birthday and wanted to seem appreciative of it by carrying it around. Then it was because it was a convenient way to carry a AAA-based flashlight discreetly. Finally I decided that I just enjoy having the tool handy even if away from my desk/bag/car. I can't justify it rationally because there is always another nearby, but I like my shiny metal security blanket, dammit.  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:13 PM
I used to carry my Swisstool every day, but like other people here I found I almost never needed to use the pliers, so I just carry a sak of some discription now :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:32:09 PM
I feel naked at work without my Wave. Before I started keeping a backup in my bag, when on the rare occasion that I would forget it, I would find myself reaching for it over and over again.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:29:47 PM by turnsouth »
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:09 PM
At the hospital (work) I carry my SAK (modified Cybertool 41), which is all I ever really need--dirvers mostly, but on rare occasion the small pliers are needed.

On the farm, if I didn't carry my Charge (or occasionally a Juice), I would be forever going to the toolbox.

Removing cotter pins, R-clips and wedged ring pins.  Pinching spring hose clamps, rotating gate pins, fixing outdoor electrical devices, pulling fuses, and using the tips to rotate the sleeve of toplinks.  Just too many uses.

Sometimes in the summer, I carry a small vise grip as well as a pliers based MT.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:42 PM
I quit carrying plier based tools all the time . During the hiatus periods , i usually keep them in my bag or daypack .

The ones I keep returning to are the Wave family , the Spirit X , and the MUT . Selection being dependent on tasks on the agenda .

A SAK , and a locking folder are always in the rotation . The SAK de 'Jour varies widely , locking folder de 'jour is usually a Strider or Emerson , depending on venue .

Chris

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:47:46 PM
I don't always have a pliers based tool in my pocket, but my Swisstool lives in the bottom of my Orion Trekker II. It might go weeks without being needed, but that's fine. I know if something does crop up which my pocket carried choice for the day can't handle - the Swissy'll come to the rescue ... again ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:38 PM
I don't use the pliers on my Juice every day, but I do use them multiple times per week.  If I didn't have pliers based MT when the need arose, then I would have to search for the tool and depending on my location I may not have access to one until I got home.   I cannot predict the time and place that I will need the pliers/cutters at next, so I carry the Juice with me all the time, except when I am swimming, then its a Squirt PS4.  Both are compact and easy to carry so there is no issue.

Having said that I do use my scissors every day multiple times per day.  Since my MT has scissors on it they are always ready and I also have the pliers when the need arises.
Tick Magnet

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 12:38:56 AM
Are you saying that you carry your Squirt PS4 while swimming? Or its just in your dry clothes near by?

I carry a SOG Flash I when at the lake, just in case there is a problem with ski ropes & propellers, or the prop & weeds, etc. I didn't intend to submerge it, but I forgot to take it out of my shorts one time and went all day in & out of the water with it. It survived with no damage or anything, so its my LDC (lake day carry!) along with the Wave in the boat.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:05 AM
It rides in the pocket of my bathing suit and gets wet a lot.  So far it has been in the Caribbean, the Atlantic, Lake Michigan and many inland lakes in Michigan and Wisconsin.   Rust has not been a problem.

It has come in handy for cutting a rope tangled around a propeller, manipulating screws and pins and of course opening bottles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:19:54 AM by MeadMaker »
Tick Magnet

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 03:33:07 AM
You know, this was a question I had to ask myself years ago, and I came to the conclusion that no, I don't need a plier based multitool.  Being a bit of a minimalist, I have Learned how to do just about anything I need with just my Vic Classic. 
Yep, you read correctly, my Classic.  Don't really need anything else.
Key word here, of course, is "need".  I don't "NEED" anything other then my Classic, but it is a tiny little thing, and a bit uncomfortable to use.  So once I learned how to survive with one (I figured, worst case scenerio, it is the knife I will ALWAYS have on me, since it is on my keychain), if need be, I still like to carry a pocket knife of some sort.  A SAK, or a slippie.  Lately, I have been carrying my PST, and I have to say, the one tool I use the most on it is the phillips head screw driver.  It seems like the whole friggin world is held together by small phillips head screws nowadays.  Maybe I will go plierless again for the time being and see what comes of it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:27 PM
You know, this was a question I had to ask myself years ago, and I came to the conclusion that no, I don't need a plier based multitool.  Being a bit of a minimalist, I have Learned how to do just about anything I need with just my Vic Classic. 
Yep, you read correctly, my Classic.  Don't really need anything else.
Key word here, of course, is "need".  I don't "NEED" anything other then my Classic, but it is a tiny little thing, and a bit uncomfortable to use.  So once I learned how to survive with one (I figured, worst case scenerio, it is the knife I will ALWAYS have on me, since it is on my keychain), if need be, I still like to carry a pocket knife of some sort.  A SAK, or a slippie.  Lately, I have been carrying my PST, and I have to say, the one tool I use the most on it is the phillips head screw driver.  It seems like the whole friggin world is held together by small phillips head screws nowadays.  Maybe I will go plierless again for the time being and see what comes of it.
Welcome back Gatorman!  (Retired) :)

us Offline getahl

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 02:06:57 PM
Never really started carrying a large MT regularly. Occasionally, yes. Sometimes a couple weeks at a stretch, sand I used the tools on occasion when I did. They saw the most use on weekends, away from work.

That said, I use scissors more than anything else, so my Style CS, Micra, or Classic sees the greatest amount of use. Still love my plier base MTs though.

Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:10 PM
It rides in the pocket of my bathing suit and gets wet a lot.  So far it has been in the Caribbean, the Atlantic, Lake Michigan and many inland lakes in Michigan and Wisconsin.   Rust has not been a problem.

It has come in handy for cutting a rope tangled around a propeller, manipulating screws and pins and of course opening bottles.

Great to know, thanks for sharing. I might have to switch to a Leatherman plier or scissor based MT for water carry, maybe the Style CS or PS for the superior bottle opener. Maybe the Style PS and the SOG Flash I, so I dont have to sacrifice a good blade....don't want to sink either though lol.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
I often carry a Pioneer but also keep around/carry my SwissChamp when needed.  I find its pliers indispensable and just to name one instance, I recently used them to adjust my new Casio metal watch band.  I think it would be cool to add pliers to my Pioneer sometimes  :)
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 08:17:31 PM
I have until recently ALWAYS had to have a pliers based MT of some sort at all times. I have found that I might be able to get away with not carrying one. I have been carrying a  scissor based MT lately and it has been working out great, but that one day I need pliers I know I am going to regret it.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 10:32:51 PM
Ok, I made it about 2 days without an MT on my belt.  I'm packing a Core today, so I am ready for action.  Its true that I've never had an emergency need for pliers when away from home, but you never know.   :tu:

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 11:00:29 PM
No.  I never did.  I got a Wenger (if I remember correctly)  when I was young.  It was the "Mechanic" with pliers because I thought the scissors would be useless.  Since then I've had 3 Swisstools. I had in Belize and forgot it was on my belt while going through the airport security.  I had to run out to the parking lot and toss it to my brother-in-law.   I let him keep it, but the 1st day I was back in KY, I went out and bought a replacement.  After several more years I gave it to my wife and bought myself the SwissTool Spirit Plus (w/ ratchet)  As a plumbing service technician I use it several times a day, everyday.  When I'm off work I carry it to because it sucks thinking I have it, needing  it, and reaching for my belt and finding that I'm unprepared.  Heck, I even wear it when I wear a suit.  When I sit down in my recliner at the end of the day I sit it on the table next to me because if I leave it in the bedroom w/ my keys, etc., then I will surely need it and have to get up and go to the bedroom for it.  So to answer the question...NO.  I NEVER DID STOP CARRYING MY PLIER BASED MULTI-TOOL. WHY WOULD I?  That would be just silly:)  BTW, I still have the Mechanic.  I keep it in a drawer in my travel trailer.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12:11 PM
I considered moving to just a SAK at work, as my job is very physical and my sheath catches on stuff.  But today i had a desperate need for my pliers at work: we were taking apart a bed and moving it from one suite to another and time was a factor.  Wouldnt you know the smurfin thing was bolted together and no one had any tools.  Out of 5 people i waa the onl one who had a set of pliers.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 11:24:39 PM
Well today, entirely due to this thread, I carried nothing except a Vic Climber....and the World is still turning!   Close run thing though. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

my Offline silverwarior

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 09:12:29 AM
i always have a MT, either on myself or in my bag. To me, a plier based MT is more useful when come to emergency situation. I feel more prepared but YMMV though.

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 04:51:17 PM
For day to day EDC, I pocket carry either my LM Juice or Vic Super Tinker. I'm a law enforcement officer so I don't need a full sized plier based multi-tool for daily pocket carry while at work. With that being said, I keep  Gerber Multi-Tools in my duty bag, and personal vehicle.
I also keep a cheaper Husky brand multi-tool in my desk at work.

At home I keep a LM Kick, bit adapter and bit cards ready to go in my dresser top chest, and a LM ST300, Tool Adapter, and bits in my household grab and go tool bag.

Off duty and while working in my holster shop, I carry my Vic Spirit on my hip.

The bottom line, even if my plier based multi-tool is not in my pocket, I keep one close by.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%