Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did you ever stop carrying a plier-based tool?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Did you ever stop carrying a plier-based tool?
Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 09:16:44 AM
Negative Ghostrider.

Always have a pliers based MT in a sheath on my hip while I am at work. Well this month it is in my RFP cause of the SKTC.

When I get home and am off work I intend to try the LM Squirt which I am lead to believe has some good light work pliers. Just for sometimes carry when I am off duty and my pliers need is a lot less.

Drives me batsmurf crazy to need something and not have it even though I do not need it very often.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 12:01:34 PM
Couldn't imagine carrying a MT and not having a pair of pliers on it. To me a pair of pliers on the hip is without a doubt a huge convenience. Carry a surge everyday.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 08:02:44 AM
Well, that's kinda hard for me to go throughout an entire week without a plier based MT. Since I use it a lot for doing stuff around the house. Even when cooking.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #93 on: February 01, 2015, 06:27:29 AM
This event illustrates why I carry a pliers or a pliers-based multitool.

An elderly widow asked me for help as I was walking past her house this afternoon.  She needed to replace the 9 volt battery in her garage door operator's outside keypad.

The new battery's contact was too tight to snap onto the mating connector.   I employed the Gerber MP600's pliers to widen the battery contact slightly so it would snap onto the connector.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #94 on: February 01, 2015, 06:49:58 AM
Well, that's kinda hard for me to go throughout an entire week without a plier based MT. Since I use it a lot for doing stuff around the house. Even when cooking.

Oven MIT what's that.

I use my Mt in the kitchen too.

just not one I use at work.

I got to have a pliers on me. At home or at work.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #95 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:05 PM
I started carrying the Gerber original "the first one" back in 97! Since then all I had was plier multi tools, and in my field they came in very handy! But after quitting six years ago and learning about alox, it's all I've used since then.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #96 on: February 01, 2015, 04:18:14 PM
Now that I think about I don't carry a plier based when I'm hunting. Don't get me wrong, my skeletool and charge al are both in my bag.

But my zt566 rides in my pocket, the only thing we night need pliers for is putting up a stand, but we usually also have sockets/ratchets for that.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #97 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:19 PM

Oven MIT what's that.

I use my Mt in the kitchen too.

just not one I use at work.

I got to have a pliers on me. At home or at work.

Ditto.  I am so used to having them, I just can't go without.  They have a million uses!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #98 on: February 01, 2015, 08:19:43 PM
While working, the Spirit rides my hip now (it was my OGW for the previous 14 years and OST for 6 before that).  Off work, it the Pioneer or Farmer with Style PS around for all my plier needs.  If I really need pliers more than just a grabby incident, they are always close by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #99 on: February 01, 2015, 09:29:57 PM
The last day I was without a pliers-based MT was the day before I bought my Skeletool.  Other than that, I've always got one on me.

Granted, the pliers aren't the most popular thing in my arsenal, I think I use the drivers and scissors the most, but I use them enough that I'm pretty happy with my current carry setup.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:04 PM
I work in office setting but travel a lot. I find that I need at least small pliers. especially while travelling, to make small repairs of gear and to retreive stuff. The most challenging stuff is usually to get connected to current and wi-fi in the hotel rooms. I have found myself making make do shelves to get phone in the spot where i get at least 1 blip of connectivity, enough to work.
I normally depend on combinations of small tools to get just the right tool set rather than to carry one big that has it all.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #101 on: March 01, 2015, 04:32:28 PM
I only went out of the door 1 time without a Plier based Multitool, and that was because i had to go to the police station. And in Europe they arent very happy about EDC knifes.
Other than that i never have left the house without a Plier based Multitool since the first day i got one three years ago.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #102 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:13 AM
During the work week it's always a pliers based multitool.  The weekends/holiday it's always a SAK.  That's how my life dictates it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ace19636

Reply #103 on: April 20, 2015, 04:32:42 AM
I got by with my super tinker for day to day stuff from middle school till I started working as a FF/EMT which was a period of about 8-9 years. I would of course carry my LM wave when I thought I may need more then my SAK. Now I carry my wave or OHT as well as a SAK since I always seem to need the cutters or pliers at work. i'm still a swiss army lover :climber: but I also want to be prepared :multi:

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #104 on: April 20, 2015, 06:06:42 AM
I've been carrying a Leatherman of some kind (Blast, Wave, Charge or Surge) for over a decade. However, recently I've taken to pocket-carrying a SAK on weekends instead. Carrying a SAK is a lot more discrete (which is important in Australia- our knife laws are pretty strict).

I'd be lost without plier-based MT at work though. I tried carrying a Swisschamp for a couple of weeks, and the lack of 'real' pliers was a pain.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: April 20, 2015, 05:46:12 PM

I haven't carried a plier based MT probably since I got rid of my Juice S2. For the last few months, I have alternated between a Crater C33T and a Super Tinker and i've been just fine. I always have a pair of pliers or vice grips at an arms reach just in case.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #106 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:49 PM
I been carrying a pliers base MT for over a year now, rarely I use the pliers. The few times I did I was using it as cutter or tweezers...and none of them were emergency situations.

Reading this thread makes me thinking to downsize my pliers to Squirt size. :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:39 PM
I been carrying a pliers base MT for over a year now, rarely I use the pliers. The few times I did I was using it as cutter or tweezers...and none of them were emergency situations.

Reading this thread makes me thinking to downsize my pliers to Squirt size. :think:

The day you do that will be the day you will need them  :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #108 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:58 AM

Exactly.  I only occasionally use pliers, but when I need them, I'm glad I have them.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #109 on: April 21, 2015, 01:43:24 AM

Exactly.  I only occasionally use pliers, but when I need them, I'm glad I have them.

Ok perfect timing for this thought:
This afternoon I was Putting together a bunk bed for the kids, a couple wooden worms went in the wrong holes and refuse to come out. Skulletool's steel jaw had no trouble convinceing them to surrender.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: April 21, 2015, 01:47:23 AM

This afternoon I was Putting together a bunk bed for the kids, a couple wooden worms went in the wrong holes and refuse to come out. Skulletool's steel jaw had no trouble convinceing them to surrender.

Haha.  :angel: 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #111 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:20 AM
I simply can't go without needlenose pliers.  If I happen to just carry a SAK, the pliers based multi is not far, usually in my bag.  The only times I can think that I take the Leatherman off my belt, are when I golf or exercise.  And sleep/shower.  Other than that I always have my Leatherman on my belt, even when I'm sitting around the house. 

If I can only carry one thing, it's my leatherman.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #112 on: April 21, 2015, 02:51:57 AM

Now would a Squirt's pliers have been able to handle this?  Not giving you a hard time about possibly switching to a Squirt, I just am curious as I really don't know....
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #113 on: April 21, 2015, 02:55:32 AM
Squirt pliers would work just fine, just not so sure about the name. 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #114 on: April 21, 2015, 02:58:35 AM
Skullirt?  :think:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #115 on: April 21, 2015, 03:04:30 AM
Squirletool :think:
K-Tibbs

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #116 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:33 AM
I carried the Original Leatherman for a month or two when they first came out.  Found I didn't really use it much. I preferred real tools for ptliers etc. and a regular pocket knife for a blade. Since then I have carried it daily in my briefcase (pre-back pack days) and most recently in my backpack.  So I haven't actually carried it on my person for 20 years or more.
Perception is reality

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #117 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:42 AM
Right now I'm in Maintenance, and I use mine at work every day, probably 5 times or more.  But even when I wasn't in maintenance I liked knowing I had pliers for some reason.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #118 on: April 21, 2015, 03:48:09 AM
Workdays it's always the Spirit, but on weekends around the house, or on the go, it's the Deluxe Tinker.  If I'm doing anything that I need pliers, then I have real pliers in the garage, barn, house, truck, etc. 
DT works great for grabbing things and pulling the occasional cactus thorn.  I've popped a few scorpion melons with it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #119 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:34 PM
Every time I google Spuirt sometime else pop up.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25