Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 946 · 131657

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #600 on: August 25, 2015, 08:14:16 PM
Does anyone else really dig the main blade on the Sidekick?  I love this blade.

I agree , love the shape  :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #601 on: August 26, 2015, 03:29:33 PM

I agree , love the shape  :tu:

Yep, Love the main blade of my Sidekick. im actually a big fan of the small serrated blade inside as well, I think its an excellent alternative to a combo blade, as I prefer fully PE blades, but still appreciate the utility of serrations.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #602 on: August 26, 2015, 05:27:05 PM
I agree, at least in my case (the Wingman) the blade is the best part of the tool. Easy OHO, and super sharp with a snazzy design.
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #603 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:23 PM
I found them blades cut very well, better than the 154cm blade of skeletool
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #604 on: October 09, 2015, 04:17:24 AM
I am back in with 3rd wingman. Originally the wingman introduced me to Leatherman. I've had 2 and a sidekick :facepalm: but I do belive I will be staying this time. I've had as many waves as wingmans and I am more satisfied with this than the wave (mainly because of the pliers, the waves were all too stiff) glad to be back. :cheers: 
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Reply #605 on: January 28, 2016, 05:10:52 AM
I really like the Wingman. Been carrying it in my bag everywhere I go even when I'm handling training sessions. Outside opening scissors and blade works well for me.

As to the blade, I am quite satisfied with the combo blade but i think I prefer a straight edge blade being a long time SAK user. Still, so far so good on the Wingman.  :multi:
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #606 on: February 15, 2016, 11:57:59 PM
The main reason I don't carry it more often.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #607 on: February 16, 2016, 07:06:21 AM
That's a bummer. Never had that happen before.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #608 on: February 16, 2016, 07:15:32 AM
That's a bummer. Never had that happen before.
I think it's just gym short material getting wedged in too tight.

The anti-spin knob doesn't rest fully locked. A hammer might fix that.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #609 on: February 16, 2016, 08:26:26 PM
Do you guys prefer Leathermans Leather or Nylon pouch for Sidekick/Wingman? I have to buy new one, 'cause I lost my Rebar Leather pouch (that I used for my Wingman) and I have never tried the Nylon one.
 :think:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #610 on: February 18, 2016, 05:54:12 AM
Do you guys prefer Leathermans Leather or Nylon pouch for Sidekick/Wingman? I have to buy new one, 'cause I lost my Rebar Leather pouch (that I used for my Wingman) and I have never tried the Nylon one.
 :think:
They ain't bad, I just hate the rip of velcro in a quiet room. But they also have the possibility of adding more.

You might try a cheap single stack mag pouch. Should hold a wingman fairly well as long as it's not too deep.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #611 on: February 28, 2016, 03:03:54 PM
Nevermind, I got rid of my Wingman.
Might get one later on or try out Sidekick.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #612 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:42 PM
I loved my Micra and thought I'd go bigger. Enter the Wingman.

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #613 on: June 07, 2016, 09:56:23 PM
I misplaced my Sidekick that my brother gave me... ended up picking up a Wingman some months later. 

It's ok.  I like the Sidekick better.   I cant stand the partially serrated main blade.  It's so hard to use compared to a razor sharp plain edge.  The scissors are nice though, and the package open is AMAZING. 

If I could build my own, ideal Wingkick combo, it'd basically be a Sidekick with the package opener and scissors added.  I know there is no room for a saw and scissors.. but I could dream. 

As it is, a Wingman with a Sidekick main blade and lanyard loop would be a step up. 

I do think that my last Sidekick had wire cutters that were closer together than most... I could cut 16 or 18 gauge wire without issue.. on the Wingman, I can see daylight!

That being said, these are my first two Leathermans ever... and they DO work... and the marketing idea that these would be gateway tools to other, more expensive or simply just more LM's, is proven correct. 

I'm already looking at a Skeletool CX, Micra, and Juice/Squirt to add to my rotation. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #614 on: June 08, 2016, 11:51:41 PM
Hey Jason, welcome to the forum. :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #615 on: June 09, 2016, 05:22:03 AM
I have been learning a good deal about Leatherman MT models and having reviewed the earlier post, am I correct in understanding the Sidekick and Wingman were introduced at the same time?

I have a couple Wingman, recently acquired for a reasonable price. Only opened an employed one, (other is being held for gifting), and do like the tool set and spring action on the pliers. 

However, I am confused by the price difference between the Sidekick and Wingman.  I would have expected them closer, with Sidekick being lower value to match or just a few dollars more. 

Any insight shared will be appreciated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #616 on: June 10, 2016, 03:35:48 PM
However, I am confused by the price difference between the Sidekick and Wingman.  I would have expected them closer, with Sidekick being lower value to match or just a few dollars more. 

The Sidekick is usually but not always also sold with a leather sleeve/pouch/sheath and a small carabiner clip with a 1/4" hex and bottle cap opener.  That's why you typically see the Sidekick sold for about $10 USD more than the Wingman. 

Even cheaper yet is the Rev... which really, has no reason to exist at all and needs to be discontinued. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #617 on: June 10, 2016, 03:53:07 PM

The Sidekick is usually but not always also sold with a leather sleeve/pouch/sheath and a small carabiner clip with a 1/4" hex and bottle cap opener.  That's why you typically see the Sidekick sold for about $10 USD more than the Wingman. 

Even cheaper yet is the Rev... which really, has no reason to exist at all and needs to be discontinued.

That's my take on it as well.  Though I think someone told me you don't even get the leather sleeve any more.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #618 on: June 10, 2016, 03:54:32 PM
I have been learning a good deal about Leatherman MT models and having reviewed the earlier post, am I correct in understanding the Sidekick and Wingman were introduced at the same time?

I have a couple Wingman, recently acquired for a reasonable price. Only opened an employed one, (other is being held for gifting), and do like the tool set and spring action on the pliers. 

They were indeed. :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #619 on: June 10, 2016, 04:06:54 PM
Hey Jason, welcome to the forum. :hatsoff:

What he said :D

I guess I should ask to join :think: I have a Wingman but no Sidekick yet ::) I like the Wingman but wished it had a PE blade instead of the combo blade :( other than that I am very happy with it :cheers: I have had it probably since November so I have had a little time to test all the tools and see how it goes :tu: I think LM did a good job with this tool as a budget tool especially.  I have actually bought a Sidekick but never owned one :ahhh I gave it to my nephew when he graduated out of 8th grade to high school :cheers: I must have bought it in 2012 cause he just graduated high school this year :o

us Offline Dan B

Reply #620 on: June 11, 2016, 03:01:39 PM
My recently acquired sidekick alongside my custom bladed wingman.

Full write-up of the blade mod is in the mod squad forum: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66694.0.html
IMG_20160611_060102.jpg
* IMG_20160611_060102.jpg (Filesize: 323.56 KB)

us Offline Dan B

Reply #621 on: June 11, 2016, 06:35:33 PM

I like it a lot better than the blade on the wingman. I'm not a fan of serrated blades to begin with and these shorter combination ones don't give you enough of either to really be useful.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #622 on: June 11, 2016, 08:29:10 PM

I like it a lot better than the blade on the wingman. I'm not a fan of serrated blades to begin with and these shorter combination ones don't give you enough of either to really be useful.

I agree.  The Sidekick blade is actually a very good cutter.  It doesn't strike me as the most robust blade out there, but I wouldn't criticise it too much for that.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #623 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:39 PM
A few years ago I was able to pick up both a Wingman and two Sidekicks at Home Depot for $20 each.  After bringing them home and playing with them for a bit, comparing them to my other MTs, I decided that while heavy and a bit limited in versatility, they would be good as dedicated tools for the vehicle gloveboxes and my workbench.

So the Sidekicks went to the gloveboxes and the Wingman sits on the workbench.  Would I want to carry these regularly...no, not a chance.  I prefer the Gerber Strata's and a LM Wave for dedicated belt carry on weekends when needed.  Sometimes I just carry a LM Juice kf4 or s2 to complement my SAKs when needed for outdoor activities.  But at the price point I got the Sidekicks and Wingman, I can comfortably dedicate them to their assigned uses knowing that they are there if needed, but never for EDC.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #624 on: June 11, 2016, 09:55:48 PM
Count me in, with the recently modded Wingman!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Dan B

Reply #625 on: June 12, 2016, 12:49:54 AM
Interesting. What did that pocket clip come off of, or is it a generic one?  Also, does it work better than the standard one?

us Offline LoopCutter

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #626 on: June 12, 2016, 04:01:04 AM

Thank you, had never seen a Sidekick in a store with those two items.
I picked up REV a few months ago after a tip on another forum the HD was clear envying for under 20.
Then I stumbled upon a SuperTool 300 at the L store for less than 40, and then a Wingman for 21 at another HD in May.

I like to use the tools I buy and must say, the REV did not cut it and is at home in knife box.

The ST3 is often carried, more so since I picked up a box sheath. 
The Wingman is in my tool bag and I like the spring loaded pliers and scissors. So I picked up 2nd on but it still packaged for future gift. 

Me, the knife blade is not critical as I always have 3 1/4" blade with me in some form.

I do like a saw and a good full serrated blade, that why the ST3 finds time at work by my side.

The Sidekick to me seemed on par with the wingman, yet LM hand a different pecking order. 

I am learning about these handy tools, just not a collector (yet), but am curious. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline matt31084

• New User
Reply #627 on: June 13, 2016, 11:00:30 PM
New to the site, just got my wingman today!  I'm hoping I can relocate the belt clip and replace the two screwdrivers with the LM bit driver.  Might try to replace the file with something else as well.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #628 on: June 14, 2016, 02:47:32 AM
Welcome to the boards matt.   :cheers:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #629 on: June 14, 2016, 03:21:22 AM
Can I join?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%