Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Sideman

us Offline Bruce909

The Sideman
on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:48 AM
I finally got a Sidekick on ebay and found the Wingman at Home Depot so I did the obvious....I made a Sideman, I really wanted scissors and the clamshell opener is more helpful than I realized.  Here are a couple of quick pictures:

other side:

Bruce

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Re: The Sideman
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:27:55 AM
Thats awesome! Exactly what I would do if given the option, great mod.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:34:40 AM
Great work. It was only a matter of time.  :tu: I want a very similar configuration. I'm not sure how much I would use the clam shell opener, but when I get one I guess I will give it a try.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
The Sideman
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:43:32 AM
Nice work

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
The Sideman
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
Wingkick?

Awesome work :)
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:49 PM
I name thee "Co Pilot".
:)
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:18:29 AM
I was wondering about doing almost the exact same thing in "The Wingman...Questions, Comments,....... Suggestions" thread.  Do you have to replace the file with the small serrated blade?  I was thinking about swapping out the can/bottle opener with the small serrated blade but thought it would expose a sharp edge when the tool is closed.  Great job :tu: :cheers:
[

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:52 AM
I was wondering about doing almost the exact same thing in "The Wingman...Questions, Comments,....... Suggestions" thread.  Do you have to replace the file with the small serrated blade?  I was thinking about swapping out the can/bottle opener with the small serrated blade but thought it would expose a sharp edge when the tool is closed.  Great job :tu: :cheers:

I just figured that I would never use the file...now I have a wingman with 2 and a saw.

Bruce

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:32:48 AM
See, that's the tool loadout I was hoping for.  I dislike part-serrated blades, and scissors are useful.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:14 AM
Very cool mod!  I was thinking about a set up very similar to that one.  The only thing I'd do different would be to put the file in place of the clam-shell cutter.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 05:18:18 AM
I like it. I may do the same but keep the saw.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
The Sideman
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:19:49 AM
They could've just sold the empty body and separate implements and we would've gobbled them up (not that we wont). Pretty sweet scissor people can have scissors and don't get stuck with an unused saw or CE vs PE for example. I'm looking at SOGs more and more for these reasons. And can't wait to make my "Cohort", great ideas ppl!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:10 AM
For an urban EDC MT, this is a really, really nice configuration! I just don't know if I'd call it a Sideman- this isn't a guest star, this could for many be the lead tool. As such, it is more a Frontman.  :D

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 10:07:28 PM
For an urban EDC MT, this is a really, really nice configuration! I just don't know if I'd call it a Sideman- this isn't a guest star, this could for many be the lead tool. As such, it is more a Frontman.  :D

I agree with you, it is starting to make me think about changing my EDC which is currently a Spirit.  Leatherman could really make a custom tool available over the web at a full retail price with this combo.  I just tried to combine the names but this is really a more useful tool than the Sidekick.

Bruce

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37:41 PM

Wingkick?

Kickman?

Sidewing?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:51:47 AM
To just change the blade would you have to disassemble the whole tool or just take off the handle scale on that side?

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:10:48 AM
To just change the blade would you have to disassemble the whole tool or just take off the handle scale on that side?

You just need to remove 1 screw but it still takes 2 nut drivers and you can change the blade on the outside tools.  The outside blade swap was very easy.  All in all the entire swap did not take 5 minutes, it took longer to get the tools I needed than to swap the blades. 

Bruce

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:38 AM
Awesome. I may try the mod because I love everything about the wingman except for the combo edge blade. 

us Offline darth_guy101

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:21 PM
Sharpen the can opener and you can use it for a package opener and get the file back.
Took the red pill...

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:23:44 PM
Sharpen the can opener and you can use it for a package opener and get the file back.

not bad!  :multi:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 04:20:08 AM
Thanks Bruce, my wingman is now perfect(for me anyway).  Just so everyone knows one of the other cost cutting measures on this tool is no loctite on the pivot screws.  Makes for much easier mods.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 04:40:09 AM
It was a little easier but I think they might still have loctite, at least mine do now.  I don't remember the station for assembling the Sidekick or Wingman not using loctite.  All the stations have the loctite dispenser.

Bruce

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:50 AM
I love the fact that a standard torx 10 fits without having to seek out a tamper proof model. 

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 04:44:50 AM
I love the fact that a standard torx 10 fits without having to seek out a tamper proof model.

Almost feels like working on a SOG...not the torx per se but the fact that standard tools are used.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:00 PM
OH I wish leatherman sold parts like SOG does.  I picked up my $25 wingman at HD last night.  It's actually not too bad for what it is... an entry level tool.  But I really really do not like the serrated blade.  I wish I could just buy a normal blade from leatherman and swap it out.  Seems like a waste to track down a sidekick just to harvest a blade.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:41:57 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:38 PM
OH I wish leatherman sold parts like SOG does.  I picked up my $25 wingman at HD last night.  It's actually not too bad for what it is... an entry level tool.  But I really really do not like the serrated blade.  I wish I could just buy a normal blade from leatherman and swap it out.  Seems like a waste to track down a sidekick just to harvest a blade.

I've been considering a SOG specifically for that reason...  What really bugs me though is how bloody heavy they are.  I prefer lighter weight tools.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 02:12:29 PM

I've been considering a SOG specifically for that reason...  What really bugs me though is how bloody heavy they are.  I prefer lighter weight tools.

I changed the loadout on my powerlock and it was nice to be able to do it without special tools.  I wonder if I could get a SOG straight blade to fit on a wingman with some grinding of course... but still.  I think they are 8 bucks for a SOG blade on ebay... hmmm....  sogman anyone?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
The Sideman
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:46 AM
Overall, without mod, i thought the wingman was best... BUT I went with the Wingman with the saw and the plain knife. I also touched up the edge on the clamshell opener to increase the odds of cutting myself. Now it rocks as a mod!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:47 PM
Ok, the serrated blade is bugging me.  I think I will end up grabbing a sidekick just for the blade.  Maybe someone else will want to buy a sidekick with serrations, although I would guess most prefer a straight edge.  Cheapest place I found one in Canada so far is Amazon.ca  32 bucks.   http://www.amazon.ca/Leatherman-Sidekick-Multi-Tool-Standard-Stainless/dp/B005O65226/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320678147&sr=8-2

Guess I'll grab one before they are price jacked up.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
The Sideman
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:21 PM
There's not usually any love for the combo edge. Ideally it's nice to have both but I'm a huge fan of combo edges now. I'd hate to be stuck with just a plain edge, try sawing through a frozen rope with just a plain edge or open a feed bag (burlap sack). I didn't used to like serrated edges at all but once I learned what they're good for I'll never go back. Honestly I hardly ever use the PE on my SURGE.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%