Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for Wenger?

Offline tapong

Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 10:35:51 AM
wenger in my opinion has the better plastic. the tnt are discreet and the tools are far easier to open single handed (standard 85mm; yes, it's possible) due to the weaker backspring; some even have the locking blade.

i like these better than their vic counterpart: soldat, money clip, patriot, backpacker, classic scout knife (locking blade). and the entire 120mm line (plain edge).

england Offline macabee

Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 10:23:26 AM
I have managed to source a Wenger champ model [new] I must admit that some of the older and discontinued models, Victorinox as well as Wenger do interest me :pok:
Wenger_Champ.jpg
* Wenger_Champ.jpg (Filesize: 42.85 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:57 AM
In the 84/85/91mm category I prefer Vic for the better tools and ergonomy.

In the larger 111/120mm category I prefer the Wengers for their larger blade, larger saw and their better and safer unlocking mechanism.

I've recently bought a Vic Rucksack, Vic Trekker/Forrester and Wenger RangerGrip 78 (OH blade + wood saw). Of the three, the Wenger is the largest and heaviest, but has the best lock. The Vic slide lock on the Rucksack comes second and the left handed liner lock on the Forrester is the most awkward to use. On the other hand the locking flat screwdriver is better on the Vic Forrester, and definitely the Vic reamer and can opener... If only these parts could be swapped from Vic to the Wenger...
I'll probably just carry another 91mm Vic along with the Wenger.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 02:08:15 PM
HI

Wengers is swell to collect, i really like the development shown the last years, active outdoors brand back to its roots, we are going back to where we belong Mr Hug sad.....
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:47 PM
Here is a nice Wenger S18 Scout model.  Definetly some Wenger models are very nice.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:00 PM

Yes, here is another picture
Ranger knife.JPG
* Ranger knife.JPG (Filesize: 51.39 KB)
Get more tools

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 04:16:39 PM

Are the backspring tools any stronger than those on the smaller knives, or are the pivot holes just as close to the backspring edge as the 85mm line?

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 04:33:53 PM

Are the backspring tools any stronger than those on the smaller knives, or are the pivot holes just as close to the backspring edge as the 85mm line?

Hi, stronger!

I used the reamer through thick leather, it does not look like brass pins/rivets anymore looking inside the tool? The corkscrew is maybe the same or also stronger, it depends on if it is used correct
thick leather.JPG
* thick leather.JPG (Filesize: 68.64 KB)
can.JPG
* can.JPG (Filesize: 48.75 KB)
Get more tools

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 04:36:32 PM
That's good news. :tu:  Thanks.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:09 PM
That's good news. :tu:  Thanks.

You are welcome!
Here is some on the Ranger blade, it gives directional cuts, not for the hardest wood, fairly well on Spruce, the saw will or can be used to take the load, tested it on different woods, harder to softer, thick to thinner, this is a giant saw on pocket tools.
blade.JPG
* blade.JPG (Filesize: 63.51 KB)
Get more tools

england Offline macabee

Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 05:09:42 PM
IMO the reason Victorinox is probably more popular in the UK, is that most outlets stock Victorinox and not Wenger, if you google for 'Swiss Army Knife' most websites will stock Victorinox, very few for Wenger this also goes for high street retail stores.

I do like both, whilst they are both are owned by Victorinox, Wenger are becoming more individual as a brand, not just a 'Swiss Army Knife' with the Wenger on the tang. :cheers:

PS: I like the scissors on the Wenger better.
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:35 PM
IMO the reason Victorinox is probably more popular in the UK, is that most outlets stock Victorinox and not Wenger, if you google for 'Swiss Army Knife' most websites will stock Victorinox, very few for Wenger this also goes for high street retail stores.

I do like both, whilst they are both are owned by Victorinox, Wenger are becoming more individual as a brand, not just a 'Swiss Army Knife' with the Wenger on the tang. :cheers:

PS: I like the scissors on the Wenger better.

Hi interesting,

not to break into this but, i would like to mention some on my view on the Wenger steel, it is sad that Wenger use the same French steel like Victorinox the Bonpertuis, we know that Victorinox have used different but mainly Bonpertuis, ok, i know that the Victorinox 111mm liner-lock range Services tools can not be beaten, it is outstanding well,
About the steel, there may be two different philosophies on the brands, Wenger has the combination of the flexible and the hardness of the steel, i do believe there are noticeable differences
Get more tools

za Offline meanx

Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:21 PM
Here is a nice Wenger S18 Scout model.  Definetly some Wenger models are very nice.

(Image removed from quote.)

That will go really nice with this

Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:01 PM
My only wenger was given to me by EDCGear and I love it.

It is the Mike Horn Edition Evolution 17

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 01:00:26 PM
Being a lockblade freakazoid, I love the "new design" Wenger lockblade series.  Especially the Alinghi and Mike Horn. :tu:

Though I love my Leathermans, SAKs will always win in the "style department" :sak:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Eyegor

Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:38 PM
Another Wenger fan here although my modest assortment of MTs doesn't currently include any. My thoughts on most of the tools, can opener, scissors, etc. mirror what has already been said so I won't repeat them here. Likewise with the locks. As long as they keep making the SI Wenger will be doing OK.

I definitely have a soft spot for the Wenger Scout knives. Back in 83 or so my first "real knife" was a US BSA branded Wenger (I don't know the model). I still have hopes that knife will find its way back to me someday.

The Swiss Clipper AT or Esquire AT is on my short list to purchase as well. I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of Wenger here. Please keep it coming.
T

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 03:44:40 PM

About the backspring tools, i tested the corkscrew and it works fine, use as many of the rings as you can, pull straight up and not in an angle,

no visible changes to any of the structure, one get much more power with a large tool like this, very easy.
enjoy it if you may need it...
corkscrew.JPG
* corkscrew.JPG (Filesize: 46.29 KB)
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 08:57:03 PM
Owner's guide from 1975 for Wenger 85mm.  I forgot to scan this the last time I came across it.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #48 on: November 26, 2011, 02:58:43 PM
Of all the knives I have given or have been given to my son Cameron the two I see in his pocket the most are Wengers..Handyman and a Clipper

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Any love for wenger?
Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 04:19:01 PM
Funny, lately I find myself liking Wenger even more than my Vics. I still like both companies, but carry a Wenger more often.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 05:52:09 PM
I need to think about another Wenger after the holidays. Swissgrip is excellent for at the boat, Motorist does actually live in the car kit, Stainless pocket tool chest on the gadget ring .... which leaves a serrated Traveller (which doesn't get enough carry due to being serrated). The Vic's seem to get all the general pocket carry.

Main decision is whether to go for whatever the thinnest option with inline phillips and scissors is, or .... no actually I just need to find out what that is  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 05:55:33 PM
Love my titanium Wenger Ueli Steck.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 06:28:01 PM
I need to think about another Wenger after the holidays. Swissgrip is excellent for at the boat, Motorist does actually live in the car kit, Stainless pocket tool chest on the gadget ring .... which leaves a serrated Traveller (which doesn't get enough carry due to being serrated). The Vic's seem to get all the general pocket carry.

Main decision is whether to go for whatever the thinnest option with inline phillips and scissors is, or .... no actually I just need to find out what that is :D

Here you go.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Nomad

I was on a search for all the Wengers with universal wrench (which is on the opposite side of the phillips) so I've done quite a bit of reading about these things. I picked up a Cyclist a week ago and am most likely going to do a mod with it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:30:38 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 06:30:00 PM
I'm starting to really like wenger  :ahhh

Also have the Mike Horn but no pics.   :rant:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 06:35:41 AM
Well, here's my view on a s557: clicky. Long story short, very innovative design, but no cigar... :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 10:43:46 AM
......but no cigar... :)

well, for a cigar you need one of these in the middle..  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: December 10, 2011, 12:54:36 PM

Main decision is whether to go for whatever the thinnest option with inline phillips and scissors is, or .... no actually I just need to find out what that is :D

Here you go.

I was on a search for all the Wengers with universal wrench (which is on the opposite side of the phillips) so I've done quite a bit of reading about these things. I picked up a Cyclist a week ago and am most likely going to do a mod with it.

Cheers mate  :tu: I'll keep my eyes peeled

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #57 on: December 10, 2011, 04:05:30 PM

Here you go.

Cheers mate  :tu: I'll keep my eyes peeled

Maybe you should get a wenger champ  :rofl:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Champ

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 10:52:02 PM
Amici,
Although I own and use both, I find myself after a long EDC of various vics but usually the Swisschamp, I find myself also returning to Wenger as still my preffered SAK.

Recently I purchased an Evowood S557 which I simply love for various reasons that I have posted throughout the forum whenever this topic is mentioned although originally I wasn't really feeling it bu no more.

One thing puzzles me and that's the layout betwwen the Evowood S557 and its counterpart the Evo  S585 with red scales and that is the layout of the scissors. To me, Wenger got it right with the S557 and goofed with the S585 since they're located right behind the lock release and can be quite a hassle to access compared to the S557 which swapped out the pliers for this position which makes better sense and looks better aesthetically IMHO.

I'll post pics of the two later once I return to the Eagles nest to illustrate my talking point more clearly to those not familair with either model.

Cheers,
Serge

'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ph Offline legtu

Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 04:26:22 AM
i own and use both but prefer the wenger for most tasks. for edc, i do tend to carry the vic more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%