Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you Drive?

mvyrmnd · 1479 · 87441

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What do you Drive?
Reply #870 on: August 10, 2016, 05:59:32 PM
I'm glad you finally got it! 

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #871 on: August 10, 2016, 07:51:25 PM
Looks great buddy. :woohoo:

mind if I ask what it is? :-[

Hehe, I just realized the front emblem doesn't actually show up. It's a Subaru Forester.

I'm not seen a Forester that looks quite like that.  New model?

Relatively, it has only been out for 3 years so probably not a lot on road compare to three previous generations, it's a lot more SUV looking compare to the previous wagon like.

I'm glad you finally got it! 

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Def

Yes I can finally drive to places now.  :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #872 on: August 10, 2016, 08:40:28 PM
This was the video the garage had on their site of my car. I bought it June 2014. It's a 2012 Sorento

https://youtu.be/u-afTRHLjgA

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #873 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:46 AM
Still working my way through various forums on this site. When it comes to automobiles(which I do custom paint work on just about every day)I have a tendency to hold on to them much like I do my knives.Of the five cars my wife and I currently own,two have been in the family since 1994;another in 1997;one was purchased in 2001 and the last one in 2010.
The first is a 1955 Pontiac Custom Safari wagon. I have wanted one of them since I first saw one in a showroom in January 1955.Co-incidentally it is the same color.
I purchased it shortly after moving to Michigan in the winter of 1993 from a gentleman in Ohio who had a barn full of vintage Pontiacs and for some reason never drove this one.Since taking delivery of it in February of 1994 I have logged just slightly over 180,000 miles on it with surprisingly little trouble.
Next purchase was in July of 1994 when I took delivery of a 25th Anniversary model Trans Am. My wife had bought an identical one in May. She opted to get rid of hers several years later as she rarely drove it(had 3800 miles on it when it left)and the insurance was killing us.
Car number 3 is a 1957 Pontiac Custom Safari wagon I bought because they are rare(just 1,292 built),they're better looking than the 55 and it was an ex-race car a friend of mine had built back in the mid 1960's and I had done some small paintwork on it(that still exists).The idea was to convert it to run on the street and make it for my wife. She decided she really didn't like it and shortly afterward I got very sick and had to put a lot of projects on hold for a couple years. When I finally got better I didn't really have the initiative to build it so it now sits in my shop awaiting it's new owner.
Number 4 is a 1972 Ford Thunderbird(a 71,000 mile Arizona car)that my wife decided she would like and then after the first couple times driving decided it was too big. That sits in the attached garage hoping someone will buy it even though it only gets about 5 mpg.
Last is my wife's current car;a 2009 Pontiac G3 which is basically a gussied up Chevrolet Aveo and was only made for one year.She loves it's size;ease of driving and parking and it's ability to hold a ton of groceries or whatever.I use it a lot if I have to travel any distance to jobs because it holds my paint kit handily and gets 36 mpg over the road.
By now you have probably realized that we like the Pontiac marquee(saddest day in the world when they went belly up) as well as vintage cars.I have always preferred wagons due to their ability to transport stuff.My first was in 1968(a 1960 Chevrolet sedan delivery:a wagon with no side windows; that was used by the American Tobacco Company to deliver cigarettes)and I have lost count of how many I have owned since then.
When I lived in Massachusetts my cars were usually impractical to drive in the winter(too low;too big a tire,etc.)so I would buy a derelict wagon(usually a Pinto until the supply ran out)for $25 or so and drive it through the winter and then scrap it.Occasionally I would get a rare one(Pinto Cruisin' Vans with the porthole window)and would keep that for a few years.
So that is what I drive now. Here are a couple pictures.The 55 is basically a rolling advertisement for my business.
Safari4-18-2016Pictures 004.jpg
* Safari4-18-2016Pictures 004.jpg (Filesize: 76.05 KB)
57Safari.jpg
* 57Safari.jpg (Filesize: 74.62 KB)
2TransAms.jpg
* 2TransAms.jpg (Filesize: 55.21 KB)
1972TBird4.jpg
* 1972TBird4.jpg (Filesize: 125.18 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #874 on: August 11, 2016, 01:55:53 AM
You have some truly beautiful cars there- I've had more Pontiacs than any other car too, starting with an '86 Firebird, then a few years later an '81 Catalina and then a 2000 Sunfire.  Mixed in between I have had two VW's (a Fox and a Golf), two Jeeps (still have both, a 2000 TJ and a 2013 Wrangler JKU) and a GMC Tracker.

I've always longed for a beautiful vintage car, but living in Nova Scotia for the past 15 years has pretty much killed that dream.  The salt in the air and frequent major temperature changes kill cars faster than anywhere else.  Now that I'm away from the coast, owning a vintage car might find it's way back on the list, although while I love classic American muscle and big fins I might opt for a classic Jag or a MG or Triumph.  My dream would be to find a '74 GMC Jimmy in Yuba Gold- the truck I grew up with.

Seeing your stuff makes me all drooly!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #875 on: August 15, 2016, 02:53:57 AM
Put 280 KM on the car today, man this thing hauls ass when the turbo spools up, gotta be careful not getting a speeding ticket.

Definitely doesn't look fast though, which suits me just fine.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #876 on: August 15, 2016, 03:09:00 AM
You probably just don't recall what speed is after driving a TJ all those years!

You will miss it every time you park though. I know I sure do!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #877 on: August 15, 2016, 03:14:50 AM
You probably just don't recall what speed is after driving a TJ all those years!

Def

No kidding, it's over a foot longer than the TJ I think. Although it's nice to have a cargo area that will actually fit stuff inside, and real backseat too.

Offline gadget982

Reply #878 on: August 15, 2016, 07:02:07 AM
Don't post on here often, but it's late and I'm having trouble sleeping. Here's my ride:

2014 Tacoma 4x4 T-Force. Had it for a couple of years now and absolutely love it.

Cheers,

Gadget

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #879 on: August 15, 2016, 01:23:56 PM

Def

No kidding, it's over a foot longer than the TJ I think. Although it's nice to have a cargo area that will actually fit stuff inside, and real backseat too.

Plus reduced visibility, wider turning circle etc.  Luckily you don't have your TJ anymore so you won't occasionally drive it and remind yourself of what you are missing!   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #880 on: August 15, 2016, 01:24:20 PM
Don't post on here often, but it's late and I'm having trouble sleeping. Here's my ride:
(Image removed from quote.)

2014 Tacoma 4x4 T-Force. Had it for a couple of years now and absolutely love it.

Cheers,

Gadget

That is a sweet looking truck!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #881 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:30 PM

Cheers,

Gadget

Def

#1 best resale value on the market too!

Offline gadget982

Reply #882 on: August 15, 2016, 07:53:01 PM

Cheers,

Gadget

Def

Figured #1 would be a jeep.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #883 on: August 15, 2016, 07:58:31 PM

Cheers,

Gadget

Def

You haven't tried buying one in a while I take it?  Tacoma's command a premium on the resale market. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #884 on: August 15, 2016, 08:51:56 PM

Cheers,

Gadget

Def

It has been for many years, but then that also depends on who you talk to.  Kelly Bluebook says so, and has for many years running, but there's room to share the limelight with other good trucks.  :D

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #885 on: August 15, 2016, 11:25:26 PM

Cheers,

Gadget

Def

It has been for many years, but then that also depends on who you talk to.  Kelly Bluebook says so, and has for many years running, but there's room to share the limelight with other good trucks.  :D

Def

Wrangler is in #5, no other Jeep models though. Rest are mostly trucks, Camero, and Subaru.

Offline gadget982

Reply #886 on: August 16, 2016, 03:42:27 AM
I knew that they held value. Sold my last Tacoma @ 14 yrs old and 180k miles for $6k to a buddy. Left a little on the table due to it being a friend that bought it. However, I have seen some jeeps around this part of the world go for stupid amounts of cash. Just figured the jeep outpaced the Tacoma. Good to know that in 15ish years when I get the itch again that my ride will command top $.

Offline gadget982

What do you Drive?
Reply #887 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:23 AM
I must confess that my current Taco is not my daily driver. I get to work and back in an 07 Yaris. It was the first car that I ever bought new. It's now 9 years old with 195k miles. I swapped it to my folks for some living arrangements 8 years ago and they gave it back about 6 months ago when my mom finally wanted a new car. Other than the timing belt and water pump, it is exactly as I bought it and it still drives like the day I picked it out. Love that little car. It's still on its original clutch and still averages 36.5 mpg out of a 106 hp 1.5L 4 banger. The Taco is, at present, reserved for travel and hunting/fishing/towing duty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:16:32 AM by gadget982 »

Offline gadget982

What do you Drive?
Reply #888 on: August 16, 2016, 05:28:44 AM

SWMBO's ride. I get to drive it sometimes. 5 speed stick with a laughably small turbo that makes 18 pounds of boost and an absolutely insane stock exhaust system. Makes 161 hp out of 85 cubic inches. It's an absolute riot to drive with the turbo whistle and the growling, popping, farting open exhaust. Sounds like a race car, feels like a gokart! I call it the turbo-skate.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:32:53 AM by gadget982 »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #889 on: August 16, 2016, 05:48:29 AM
SWMBO's ride. I get to drive it sometimes. 5 speed stick with a laughably small turbo that makes 18 pounds of boost and an absolutely insane stock exhaust system. Makes 161 hp out of 85 cubic inches. It's an absolute riot to drive with the turbo whistle and the growling, popping, farting open exhaust. Sounds like a race car, feels like a gokart! I call it the turbo-skate.

That's a sweet car! If I could have another car it's on the short list.

Offline gadget982

Reply #890 on: August 16, 2016, 07:10:02 AM

That's a sweet car! If I could have another car it's on the short list.
0-60 time is the same 6.8 seconds as my 4x4 Tacoma, but the sound and sensation is so much more fun. It's a car you can absolutely thrash and throw around without getting thrown in jail.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #891 on: August 16, 2016, 10:32:25 AM

Fiat 500 Arbath.  Nice. 8)  What we'd call a "Hot Hatch".  The 500 has been an amazing success over here and the Arbath badge definitely a bonus. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #892 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:59 PM
Still working my way through various forums on this site. When it comes to automobiles(which I do custom paint work on just about every day)I have a tendency to hold on to them much like I do my knives.Of the five cars my wife and I currently own,two have been in the family since 1994;another in 1997;one was purchased in 2001 and the last one in 2010.
The first is a 1955 Pontiac Custom Safari wagon. I have wanted one of them since I first saw one in a showroom in January 1955.Co-incidentally it is the same color.
I purchased it shortly after moving to Michigan in the winter of 1993 from a gentleman in Ohio who had a barn full of vintage Pontiacs and for some reason never drove this one.Since taking delivery of it in February of 1994 I have logged just slightly over 180,000 miles on it with surprisingly little trouble.
Next purchase was in July of 1994 when I took delivery of a 25th Anniversary model Trans Am. My wife had bought an identical one in May. She opted to get rid of hers several years later as she rarely drove it(had 3800 miles on it when it left)and the insurance was killing us.
Car number 3 is a 1957 Pontiac Custom Safari wagon I bought because they are rare(just 1,292 built),they're better looking than the 55 and it was an ex-race car a friend of mine had built back in the mid 1960's and I had done some small paintwork on it(that still exists).The idea was to convert it to run on the street and make it for my wife. She decided she really didn't like it and shortly afterward I got very sick and had to put a lot of projects on hold for a couple years. When I finally got better I didn't really have the initiative to build it so it now sits in my shop awaiting it's new owner.
Number 4 is a 1972 Ford Thunderbird(a 71,000 mile Arizona car)that my wife decided she would like and then after the first couple times driving decided it was too big. That sits in the attached garage hoping someone will buy it even though it only gets about 5 mpg.
Last is my wife's current car;a 2009 Pontiac G3 which is basically a gussied up Chevrolet Aveo and was only made for one year.She loves it's size;ease of driving and parking and it's ability to hold a ton of groceries or whatever.I use it a lot if I have to travel any distance to jobs because it holds my paint kit handily and gets 36 mpg over the road.
By now you have probably realized that we like the Pontiac marquee(saddest day in the world when they went belly up) as well as vintage cars.I have always preferred wagons due to their ability to transport stuff.My first was in 1968(a 1960 Chevrolet sedan delivery:a wagon with no side windows; that was used by the American Tobacco Company to deliver cigarettes)and I have lost count of how many I have owned since then.
When I lived in Massachusetts my cars were usually impractical to drive in the winter(too low;too big a tire,etc.)so I would buy a derelict wagon(usually a Pinto until the supply ran out)for $25 or so and drive it through the winter and then scrap it.Occasionally I would get a rare one(Pinto Cruisin' Vans with the porthole window)and would keep that for a few years.
So that is what I drive now. Here are a couple pictures.The 55 is basically a rolling advertisement for my business.

Cars are another thing that makes me believe I was born a few decades too late........love your cars Ray!
I had a Matchbox Trans-Am in black with a yellow eagle (or something) on the bonnet...........stuff of dreams I tell you!  8)

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #893 on: September 25, 2016, 12:31:18 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #894 on: September 25, 2016, 10:23:02 PM

My 1998 Volvo S70, photo taken at the start of a 8 day / 3000 miles rally this summer. The stickers are removed now.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #895 on: September 25, 2016, 10:31:59 PM
That rally sounds like fun. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #896 on: September 25, 2016, 10:43:57 PM
That rally sounds like fun. :tu:

It was! We went through denmark, sweden and norway. 100 teams, so 100 cars. It wasn't about who finished first (so not a race) but you earned points by completing assignments (like taking pictures of your team with certain objects you only encounter if you follow the route exactly, or more crazy stuff like taking a picture with the local police, bring a rock with a weight between 10 and 11 kilo, take a picture with yourself and a moose, stuff like that).

Every day everyone finishes at the same place, eat together etc. Fun indeed!  :cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #897 on: September 26, 2016, 02:29:34 PM

My 1998 Volvo S70, photo taken at the start of a 8 day / 3000 miles rally this summer. The stickers are removed now.

Nice Volvo!

I used to drive 570 kms in 14 hours non stop with a S90. Very comfortable car and ergonomic seat.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #898 on: September 30, 2016, 10:50:54 PM

I think I saw your car on another forum too :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Reply #899 on: September 30, 2016, 11:30:31 PM

I think I saw your car on another forum too :)

Tweakers.net I presume? I think I remember I saw you there on the EDC or on the pocket knife topic?

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44