Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wingman Review

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Leatherman Wingman Review
on: December 08, 2011, 04:53:16 AM
Leatherman Wingman

Leatherman’s Wingman tool was released in 2011 as a companion tool to the slightly more expensive Sidekick.  The Wingman is Leatherman’s attempt to reach the mass market with an inexpensive yet quality tool that could be sold alongside many of the cheap imports from overseas.  My guess is they will be successful as the Wingman (despite the ultra cheesy advertising) is a handy, well built tool, and with a handy pocket clip, it rides along virtually unnoticed until such time as you need it.

Retailing at a mere $29.99 the Wingman packs a number of features, starting with a one handed opening, partially serrated, liner locking blade.  My example’s blade is extremely tight and doesn’t open without a fight.  This is likely just my example, and I believe the Wingman meets Leatherman’s usual quality standards.  Some folks may not care for the partial serrations, but it’s Leatherman’s stance that less expensive models (like the standard Skeletool and Freestyle models) should have serrations as they tend to stay sharper longer, and people looking for cheaper tools are less likely to maintain them. 

Also living on the outside of the Wingman is a pair of scissors.  These are quite large for a set of multitool scissors and lock open as well.  The only thing wrong with these scissors, and this is nit picking, is that they have to be pushed all the way out, release the pressure, then push them again to lock them into place.  Since this tool is aimed at new users (or people who won’t pay enough attention to maintain the edge) I think this is a bit complex for someone with no experience with these tools.  This is very similar to the method of opening the scissors on the Surge.

Inside the handles you find a Phillips and a flathead driver on one side and a clam shell package opener, file/ruler and can/bottle opener.  The clam opener is a popular item these days and seems to be gaining on popularity.  It is very similar to the one found on Gerber’s Octane model and makes short work of clam shell packages.  It’s amusing that the Wingman comes in a clamshell package, so you need to have the tool to get at the tool!

The can/bottle opener and file/ruler are the same ones found on the Wingman’s sibling, the Sidekick, and are just about as useless.   The file is too short for any serious work, and the ruler on the flip side is pretty well the same- they are fine if everything you want to measure is less than an inch long.  The can/bottle opener is ok for cans, but is a bit too sharp and pointed, and tends to puncture the cap rather than lifting it off.  It’s ok if there are no other options, but if you need a bottle opener with any frequency, bring another tool along.

The last interesting feature of the Wingman is the radical departure from Leatherman’s typical plier head design.  Like the Sidekick the pliers are sprung, which means that when you release the pressure on the handles, the jaws open up again by themselves.  Personally I don’t like this feature much, and one usually only sees it on cheap copies and off brand multitools.  However, Leatherman did it right, with an internal spring, meaning that it should be pretty impervious to any kind of damage.  My dislike is a personal thing, and some people seem to really like it.  The head also features anvil style cutters rather than the more traditional Leatherman bypass style cutters, which means the blade points come together like bolt cutter jaws rather than passing each other like scissors.  The good news on this is that if you try to cut something too heavy with them and damage them, they won’t drag like damaged bypass cutters will.

Overall the Wingman is a very good value for the price, and should serve a user well for many years.  There’s one drawback I found on the Sidekick that really bothers me, and the Wingman suffers from this as well.  On the far corner from the blade opening hole is a decorative hole cut into the handle, and when you grab the tool and try to open the blade without looking like it, you often are pushing on this handle hole rather than the blade’s opening hole.  It’s quite frustrating and the hole serves no purpose other than to look cool and annoy me.  If there was at least a legitimate function to it I may be able to excuse it, but there isn’t and so I can’t.

Pros:
•   Price
•   Good sized scissors
•   Good tool selection

Cons:
•   Decorative hole in handle feels just like blade opening hole
•   File, ruler and cap lifter are virtually useless
•   Sprung pliers

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Leatherman Wingman Review
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:56:13 AM
How did you find the scissors for cutting , I found that while they worked ok you had to kind of chase what you were cutting , there was a tendency for the jaws to push the material out .

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:48:16 PM
I haven't noticed that yet on these, but I will do a bit more testing and let you know.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:38:41 PM
Just in case you missed it heres a thread about the scissors http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,32952.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:04:57 PM
I read that, I just don't recall encountering that particular problem. 

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:17 AM
It's no worse than any other straight edge scissor this size, I think the feeling is due to the small thumb pad produce more pressure on your thumb, so you "feel" you are using the same effort but actually not.

The metal does seems a bit thin though, this is just eyeballing it, not with a caliper.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:06 PM
That was pretty well what I was thinking.  I suppose "Small thumb pad" could replace the sprung pliers in the cons list.

Def

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:31 PM
I didn't think I was going to like this tool but I really love it!  :tu:  I thought the scissors were broken right out of the package though.  :D  The tool is cheap enough that I can keep it in all the places that I might need a multi. Will it replace my TTi? No... but a really nice tool for the $$$.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline TangoDown

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:24:30 PM
Great review!  :tu:

Although I do disagree with one of your cons...

I actually like the spring pliers. They are very helpful and easier to use the pliers IMO. Just because the expensive normal pliers pliers don't incorporate this feature, doesn't mean that it is without merit. All pliers should have a spring feature and I for one look for ones quality that do. Sure I've learned to work pliers without springs but why should you have to. Incorporating a good spring design like on the Wingman would make it easier to use.

I do wish that the file was longer and did away with the ruler on one side and instead had the diamond file.

I love the package opener and have used it several times now. It works great!

Ideally though, it might take getting the Sidekick and swapping tools to improve the Wingman. I'd swap out the ruler for the short serrated blade off the Sidekick. I'd also swap out the combo-edge blade of the WM for the Saw of the SK (if possible). This would leave me bladeless on the WM  but I carry a plain-edge folding knife anyways so this wouldn't matter to me and the serrated blade would compliment my setup well.

And on the SK I'd have 2 blades, one combo-edge and the other plain edge. Or maybe try to work in in a full length file or full-serrated blade from another LM.  I'd have to find another tool or 2 to fill the 2 slots that would be 2 dinky useless files. Maybe a the small eyeglass screwdriver bit-holder and a washer/spacer.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the WM. Especially when you factor in price. On the quality and fit-n-finish, I think it is actually better than my Wave. The action on opening the pliers and the tools is smoother, doesn't have that gritty feel and doesn't have the sharp edges and corners like my Wave does. The WM is very solid feeling, operates smoothly and the tools "snick" into place nicely. The retention of the tools, although not truly "locking", is quite adequate. The scissors do leave me left wanting more but they work well enough. I would have like scissors like on my Juice S2 or some of my larger Vic SAK's but it is what it is and I can work with it. And finally, I like the clip and clip it in my left rear pocket when I carry it.

One last note, I like the spring-pressure closed retention on the WM which prevents the handles from opening up in pocket. A problem I have with my Wave and Charge Ti. More of an issue when I drop them into my front pocket as coins tends to work its way into the handles.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:02 PM
I think I'm going to change the Sprung Pliers in the cos list to a thing about the scissors.  I wasn't real pleased with putting that in there but there are times when one has to list any bad things they have to make three of each.

Regardless of the price of the plier tools, I just don't care for sprung pliers, and it's not a snooty thing.  Perhaps that it is the result of using so many higher end plier tools that my preference is for non sprung just from a comfort aspect, but the bottom line is that it is a personal decision.  Some people like them, some don't, and I wasn't comfortable putting that in there, other than in my mind, it is a mark against it. 

Of course I'm not the only one that can write reviews and put them on the Main Site- check out the Offical Main Site Review Format for details on how you can have your say!

Def

us Offline TangoDown

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 06:05:49 PM
Yeah, I realize it's a personal preference with the sprung pliers and I respect your opinion on it. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were "snooty".

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08:41 PM
No problem- I have a pretty thick skin anyway!  I just wanted to address it in case anyone else thought that reading it later on, and as I said, I wasn't really comfortable putting it in there because it is a personal preference.

Besides, I wouldn't post stuff here if I didn't fully expect folks to disagree with me!  :D

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:10:19 PM
What I can't understand is why did Leatherman leave out the lanyard ring on the wingman  :think: Theres space there for it and they just put a washer in there  ::) I know not everyone is a fan of lanyard rings but its better to have and not need then to need and not have .

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:35:16 PM
My guess would be to further differentiate models.  Plus, it may only be included on the Sidekick because of the carabiner.

Def

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:39 PM
No problem- I have a pretty thick skin anyway!  I just wanted to address it in case anyone else thought that reading it later on, and as I said, I wasn't really comfortable putting it in there because it is a personal preference.

Besides, I wouldn't post stuff here if I didn't fully expect folks to disagree with me!  :D

Def

I disagree!
what?  :think:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:18 AM
What I can't understand is why did Leatherman leave out the lanyard ring on the wingman  :think: Theres space there for it and they just put a washer in there  ::) I know not everyone is a fan of lanyard rings but its better to have and not need then to need and not have .

Look on the back end of the handle of the Wingman/Sidekick. See those holes on the back of the handle? I started wondering why they were flush with the folding tools on the clip side of the tool, but are lined on the inside, and turned out slightly on the side of the tool with the blade and scissors. I >think< that's to allow a small ring or lanyard to be passed through there. Not certain, just a suspicion. Otherwise, I don't know why they would go through the extra expense of putting a liner piece on the inside, except to decrease wear to a lanyard. You couldn't fit 550 through there, but thinner stuff would work, I think.

In theory, the corners are turned out somewhat so a lanyard wouldn't jam up the tools when they were extended.

I'm not saying this is a fact, just my theory.

Here's my Wingman sporting the wrist strap from my camera as an example...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:05:40 AM by Lynn LeFey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:28 PM
Interesting- I just thought those were more useless holes cut in them to try and make them look fancy.

I'll have to take a closer look.

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:37:46 PM
Those aren't 'useless holes'. They... uhhh... cut down on wind resistance at subsonic speed. Yeah, that's it. They improve drag coefficient.  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:44 AM
Thanks for the reply , I realise that the holes in the frame make an ideal lanyard point but I still think it was a bad idea for Leatherman to out a dedicated lanyard ring on the sidekick and only a washer on the wingman .

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 01:12:39 AM
Those aren't 'useless holes'. They... uhhh... cut down on wind resistance at subsonic speed. Yeah, that's it. They improve drag coefficient.  :D

Actually, in my opinion they are worse than useless holes.  Useless implies no impact on function one way or the other, while these are actually detrimental holes as I often confuse them with the blade opening hole.

Def

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 01:50:35 AM
Speed holes.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:26 AM
I thought I'd add this note on my latest Wingman testing.

I opened a bunch of cans today with various multitools I own. In this test, the Wingman performed middle-of-the-road. The can opener works as promised. Not great, not terrible. It's better than the can opener on my SOG Powerlock, about the same as most of my cheapo multitools, and not as good as that on my cheapo Sheffield 1200E.

There was no slipping off the lip of the can, but cutting strokes with it are short. 3 of 5 stars, IMO.

EDIT: additionally, the package opener was tested and cuts medium zip ties in one pass. It took me three passes with it to cut 550 paracord, and it left some ugly fraying.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:42:15 AM by Lynn LeFey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 02:42:52 PM
Good to see some real world testing going on!  :D

If you want to play with a good package opener, check out the one on Gerber's Octane and Dime models.  They are excellent.  I actually used the Dime's package opener the other day to free a Gerber Steady from it's package!

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:08 PM
I used the scissors on the Wingman last night to cut open a package of guacamole.

Results:
1) They cut the heavy plastic pouch well
2) They are guacamole resistant. :D

As I tend to strongly lean toward keychain size MTs for EDC, the Dime is definitely on my radar right now.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 03:37:07 AM
Picked up that wingman on a whim the other day. Carried it to see how it rides in the pocket with the pocket clip the last couple days. Not bad. Oh how I wish my rebar had a pocket clip... Modders  :think:

I'm somewhat impressed so far with the wingman (for what it is). I had really low expectations and only paid a whopping $25 for it. So I've been very pleasantly pleased.  :tu:

I'm afraid it's gonna see a bit of pocket time really, because of that sweet pocket clip. My rebar is sad, and  lonely on the table right now. While the wingman is warm and cozy, in my pocket...
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 03:39:01 AM
Sorry for the necro bump and if there is another thread on the wingman.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 467.35 KB)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:49:42 AM by kaput »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 06:03:18 AM
Is there anyway to delete an older post, I may have been a little too optimistic  :rofl:

The wire cutters, when pliers are fully closed, have a gap. They couldn't cut through a simple plastic tag. And the pocket clip popped out...  :think:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 270.61 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 06:10:57 AM

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=32035.0

I wish I knew before ordering.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 06:29:30 AM

I had read nothing on it prior to buying it either. I never cared for the way it looks. I have it in my head a Leatherman is supposed to look like a pst, Supertool or even the micra for that matter. Squared, rectangular, sleek, clean lines. Those are more my style. Not the wingman or really most of the ones with oho tools.

But for $25 I bought it. And although there are shortcomings I am happy I got it to add to my collection. I am usually a guy who carries the same tool for years day in day out. But recently I've started adding to the collection and am enjoying varying my Edc.

Although it's silly to cut something that thin with "wire cutters", the precision on my rebar and even freestyle are much tighter and have overlap to be able to cut through the smallest diameters. Also, I think the scissors on the wingman are fantastic, which is probably a task more apt for that anywho. And the belt clip just needs the torq tighten.

So I'm still "enjoying" it for what it is. Also, I read the last post in that thread you linked too. As far as the tools "clumping" I have had that issue before. But not with the wingman, they are actually buttery smooth.

:think:  :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 06:36:20 AM

But for $25 I bought it. And although there are shortcomings I am happy I got it to add to my collection. I am usually a guy who carries the same tool for years day in day out. But recently I've started adding to the collection and am enjoying varying my Edc.

Although it's silly to cut something that thin with "wire cutters", the precision on my rebar and even freestyle are much tighter and have overlap to be able to cut through the smallest diameters. Also, I think the scissors on the wingman are fantastic, which is probably a task more apt for that anywho. And the belt clip just needs the torq tighten.

So I'm still "enjoying" it for what it is.

:think:  :tu:
I got carried away from all the misleading reviews on youtube. "Standard LM quality" bla-bla-bla.
It dropped to $27 in Amazon, so I thought, why not?
If you buy a tool and it turns out to be less than you expected, you either learn to love it, or just sell it.
I use my Wingman from time to time, because why not. I don't like it all that much, so I don't mind if I rough it up a bit.
Did you get the Rebar after the Wingman? That's what I did. Awesome tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%