Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Paracord?

Splat · 2375 · 317277

00 Offline cool123

Re: Got Paracord?
Reply #1740 on: June 03, 2015, 09:29:46 AM
Great thread guys....
I do believe that the paracord can sometimes proves to be really helpful in case of any emergency.
A small paracord can become a long rope which is durable for heavy tasks.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

nz Offline Henry

Reply #1741 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:24 AM
Both laces on my Scarpa Triolets snapped, both times at work. Always have paracord in my toolbag. Almost glad the second one snapped as they're matching again now!

Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1742 on: July 02, 2015, 06:22:55 AM
Both laces on my Scarpa Triolets snapped, both times at work. Always have paracord in my toolbag. Almost glad the second one snapped as they're matching again now!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice boots mate.  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1743 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:45 PM
The weather got hot and the paracord bracelet I carried was beginning to bother me a little. Took it out but still wanted to carry some paracord around so now I have a new "keychain" for my SAK + Led Lenser.

Simply a normal cobra stitch covered by the same cobra stitch.
Paracord Keychain.jpg
* Paracord Keychain.jpg (Filesize: 140.53 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #1744 on: July 17, 2015, 02:46:40 AM
Was kinda bored so I just looked around and found a few thing and just put this together for the wife.. It's about 4" round.
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #1745 on: July 19, 2015, 05:07:56 PM
snip

I went through this whole thread over a few cups of coffee and I love your work, especially the dog leashes. I ordered a bunch of paracord but probably not enough since I didn't think about doing a leash until after I ordered everything. Do you have any tutorials on doing a leash or is it mostly a matter of picking a knot you like and then making a lanyard that just keeps going until it is a leash etc.?

So many talented and artistic members! Great work everybody!
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #1746 on: July 19, 2015, 05:53:27 PM
snip

I went through this whole thread over a few cups of coffee and I love your work, especially the dog leashes. I ordered a bunch of paracord but probably not enough since I didn't think about doing a leash until after I ordered everything. Do you have any tutorials on doing a leash or is it mostly a matter of picking a knot you like and then making a lanyard that just keeps going until it is a leash etc.?

I've been working on a dog leash from snake knots, which make nice and flexible leash. Some other knots may be slightly too stiff, but as I always see it with paracord  work, it's a lot of trial and error :)

And while there's tons and tons of instructions around the net and printed media, what really makes me love paracord is that there's always so much space for imagination...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1747 on: July 19, 2015, 06:52:34 PM
Looking at all the pics and videos can be mind boggling without actually having something to work with. Waiting for my paracord order to arrive...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1748 on: July 19, 2015, 06:56:09 PM
Looking at all the pics and videos can be mind boggling without actually having something to work with. Waiting for my paracord order to arrive...

So very true, I remember my hands were absolutely itching to get to work while waiting for the first paracord order :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1749 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:17 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

That's hilarious but the color looks great. I have an excuse to keep some black Type II around now in case my dress shoelaces go.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1750 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:35 PM
snip

Thanks for the kind words. Search youtube and you should find some paracord dog lead help. Depends how hard you want to make it!

Simple=Cobra weave the whole thing.

Simple+1= four cord braid and a few stopper knots

Not so simple=6 or 8 cord braids, round for the main leash, flat for the handle, lots of stopper knots.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1751 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:29 PM
Really nice work Essexman. I spent a lot of money on nice leather dog tack over the years but that stuff takes a lot of upkeep and I'm not sure it's even as strong as some woven or braided paracord. I bet you could make a nice second income doing that. Thanks for the pics.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1752 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:19 AM
Really nice work Essexman. I spent a lot of money on nice leather dog tack over the years but that stuff takes a lot of upkeep and I'm not sure it's even as strong as some woven or braided paracord. I bet you could make a nice second income doing that. Thanks for the pics.

The good thing about paracord is when it gets dirty you can just give it a wash. Don't know how a paracord lead would compare to leather in use. I think leather my have more comfort on the hand, paracord can be a bit rough after a long time.

I don't sell many dog leads, hardly any, they take a long time to make, no one wants to pay for the hours spent weaving and knotting.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1753 on: July 21, 2015, 06:57:53 PM
I don't know if there are specialty leads that have rounded handles but the ones I bought were from hunting supply companies and feed stores and they were basically just nice thick straps of good quality leather with good hardware. They hurt if you're surfing behind big dogs for any length of time but I figured that's just the way it is or you wear gloves. I get the impression paracord would be better but I guess until you actually compare them back to back who knows. With paracord it would be probably be easier to weave some kind of soft and compressible covering over the handle portion.

I'm surprised people won't pay for the excellent work you do. I understand country people wouldn't because we tend to be real practical but I would bet you could sell them for top dollar (pound, etc.) in the right boutique in a big city like LA. Do people walk dogs in London?
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1754 on: July 26, 2015, 06:05:47 PM
I don't know if there are specialty leads that have rounded handles but the ones I bought were from hunting supply companies and feed stores and they were basically just nice thick straps of good quality leather with good hardware. They hurt if you're surfing behind big dogs for any length of time but I figured that's just the way it is or you wear gloves. I get the impression paracord would be better but I guess until you actually compare them back to back who knows. With paracord it would be probably be easier to weave some kind of soft and compressible covering over the handle portion.

I'm surprised people won't pay for the excellent work you do. I understand country people wouldn't because we tend to be real practical but I would bet you could sell them for top dollar (pound, etc.) in the right boutique in a big city like LA. Do people walk dogs in London?

No they pay others to walk their dogs for them. Joking aside, I don't see my leads in hi end shops. Think they would sell better in outdoors type shops, where hunters would shop, people who use working dogs don't mind spending good money on good products.

Not posted my work for a while, so a quick round up......

Madmax style bracelet

Dog lead

Voodoo doll key fobs

Bracelets

Belt

Monkey fist lanyard

Mini Voodoo doll

Lanyard

Another lanyard

Something for someone

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1755 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:44 PM
Wrapped the kydex sheath of an Old Hickory knife, that a friend gifted me last month at the Blade Show in Atlanta, by tying a long two-bight Turk's head knot with black paracord, then interweaving some black/tan combo paracord(Knights pattern?) before tightening it up.

Old Hickory knife with paracord wrapped kydex sheath... by David Hopper, on Flickr

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1756 on: July 28, 2015, 06:50:56 PM
You do beautiful work, Stormdrane. I have been admiring it along with Essexman's in this thread.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1757 on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:59 PM
I made a new style bracelet last night. I like this pattern a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1758 on: August 03, 2015, 06:20:25 AM
Minions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1759 on: August 03, 2015, 02:29:42 PM

Well it is, sorta. I should have taken pics of the liquor stores with ammunition for sale in Arizona but it seemed so normal at the time I didn't think twice about it. And not so long ago you could check your guns when you went into a bar there but in the last twenty years they outlawed that too and now you can't bring guns into a place that serves alcohol. But you can into a place that only sells alcohol. So don't be sad, 'cuz two out of three ain't bad. :cry:
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1760 on: August 03, 2015, 02:41:43 PM
Rebel, you took down your Flag avatar while I don't agree with the flag I do support your right to have it. But that is just me.

Mike

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1761 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:11 PM
Did I miss something? I didn't take it down and it still shows up on my screen.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1762 on: August 03, 2015, 03:37:59 PM
Rebel, It is on my iPad now earlier it wasn't. I think it is my iPad pix were slow this morning. So guess it's my bad.  :D

Mike

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1763 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:24 PM
Hehe you can't trust those cagey iAnythings :pok:
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1764 on: August 03, 2015, 06:04:36 PM
Mike56 the minion are most excellent! 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1765 on: August 03, 2015, 06:37:09 PM

Thank you, Now my problem is everybody wants one kids, grandkids. I am tieing  para cord like crazy. ;-)

Mike

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #1766 on: August 05, 2015, 03:49:40 AM

Thank you, Now my problem is everybody wants one kids, grandkids. I am tieing  para cord like crazy. ;-)

and members here   :rofl:  like me  :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #1767 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:21 AM

and members here   :rofl:  like me  :rofl:
+1 me too :)  Very nice!

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1768 on: August 09, 2015, 03:02:48 PM
What are you guys using to cut paracord with? I mean when you are finishing ends on a piece and can't use a knife. Is anybody using multitool scissors, etc.? I tried cutting one with my old Micra and I just mashed and mangled the cord...

By the way I think I may have no talent for this. Spent an interruption-filled hour farting around trying to follow directions for one stitch and I got something but it doesn't look it is supposed to.

Any recommendations for easy to learn stitches for lanyards?
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #1769 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:53 PM
What are you guys using to cut paracord with? I mean when you are finishing ends on a piece and can't use a knife. Is anybody using multitool scissors, etc.? I tried cutting one with my old Micra and I just mashed and mangled the cord...

By the way I think I may have no talent for this. Spent an interruption-filled hour farting around trying to follow directions for one stitch and I got something but it doesn't look it is supposed to.

Any recommendations for easy to learn stitches for lanyards?

I use Victorinox 91mm scissors for cutting paracord.  they work great for me.  then I use a lighter to singe them to keep them from fraying.

I recommend Tying it All Together  easy to follow and well done videos.  he has books as well at Amazon that are mainly just pictures showing step by step instructions.

check this one out as an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSewhzF5J44&list=PLXbBYv4UiyEoRpzBGDE5txE2cxE4QNPIs&index=15&ab_channel=TyingItAllTogether
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:16:57 PM by detron »
If I can help, let me know 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69