Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Paracord?

Splat · 2375 · 317299

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Re: Got Paracord?
Reply #1800 on: October 04, 2015, 06:27:13 PM
Another round up.............

Small snake keyfob with GITD bead eyes

Snap shackle lanyard for keys

Book mark for my bookworm daughter

Small cord key fob (ended up on the bathroom light pull cord)

Knife lanyards

MadMax bracelets

Keyfob

Monkeyfist knife lanyard

Dog leads

Work in progress

Finished

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1801 on: October 04, 2015, 06:47:54 PM
Nice stuff there Eman   :cheers:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #1802 on: October 04, 2015, 06:50:52 PM
Absolutely gorgeous job there  :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1803 on: October 05, 2015, 07:09:25 PM
First attempt at Single Strand Star knot:

Clearly some more practise needed.

Further notes: paracord longer than 3 ft preferable, looser knotwork while working would make it easier

Thanks to Stormdrane for providing the educational material :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1804 on: October 05, 2015, 10:01:08 PM
I don't know if there are specialty leads that have rounded handles but the ones I bought were from hunting supply companies and feed stores and they were basically just nice thick straps of good quality leather with good hardware. They hurt if you're surfing behind big dogs for any length of time but I figured that's just the way it is or you wear gloves. I get the impression paracord would be better but I guess until you actually compare them back to back who knows. With paracord it would be probably be easier to weave some kind of soft and compressible covering over the handle portion.

I'm surprised people won't pay for the excellent work you do. I understand country people wouldn't because we tend to be real practical but I would bet you could sell them for top dollar (pound, etc.) in the right boutique in a big city like LA. Do people walk dogs in London?

Well you're going to laugh Rebel. I was contacted by a leather worker from London a few weeks ago, he had a new puppy and asked me to make a paracord dog lead/leash for him. Made the lead to his spec, he asked to pick it up in person, which he did. Real nice fella, stopped for a chat.
 He was very happy with his new lead, so happy he wants some for his website. He will take my lead, add some leather tags with the dogs name stamped on it and sell them to dog owners in London.

:rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1805 on: October 06, 2015, 12:44:19 PM
I don't know if there are specialty leads that have rounded handles but the ones I bought were from hunting supply companies and feed stores and they were basically just nice thick straps of good quality leather with good hardware. They hurt if you're surfing behind big dogs for any length of time but I figured that's just the way it is or you wear gloves. I get the impression paracord would be better but I guess until you actually compare them back to back who knows. With paracord it would be probably be easier to weave some kind of soft and compressible covering over the handle portion.

I'm surprised people won't pay for the excellent work you do. I understand country people wouldn't because we tend to be real practical but I would bet you could sell them for top dollar (pound, etc.) in the right boutique in a big city like LA. Do people walk dogs in London?

Well you're going to laugh Rebel. I was contacted by a leather worker from London a few weeks ago, he had a new puppy and asked me to make a paracord dog lead/leash for him. Made the lead to his spec, he asked to pick it up in person, which he did. Real nice fella, stopped for a chat.
 He was very happy with his new lead, so happy he wants some for his website. He will take my lead, add some leather tags with the dogs name stamped on it and sell them to dog owners in London.

:rofl:

You could take his leather tags with the dogs name stamped on it, add some leads and sell them to dog owners in London.

:pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #1806 on: October 06, 2015, 03:11:22 PM

That's great news! I don't think I have ever seen dog leads as nice as yours and I am really happy you are going to get paid for your work. Congrats!  :cheers:
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1807 on: October 06, 2015, 10:07:25 PM
You could take his leather tags with the dogs name stamped on it, add some leads and sell them to dog owners in London.

:pok:

He's all set up, he has route to market, website, social media and the time to do it, I don't. I'm happy, he's happy, it's all good.

That's great news! I don't think I have ever seen dog leads as nice as yours and I am really happy you are going to get paid for your work. Congrats!  :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words, just seemed so funny how it has worked out, and made me think of you words in this thread.

Really nice fella, he drove out from central London (25miles approx. each way) to pick up the first lead. A nice personal touch to shake hands and chat.
As a leather worker he was keen to understand what went into making the leads, the process, the knots, the braids. He actually insisted in paying me more than I asked as he felt I wasn't asking for enough for the work involved. Bit of a shock, used to people low balling all the time!

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #1808 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:12 PM
Great!
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1809 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:01 PM
More knotwork...

Matthew Walker, Diamond, Cross and Eternity knots :)
"Hoarder of weirdness,

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #1810 on: November 29, 2015, 09:38:34 PM
A little to much fiber for me. ;-) These are two paracord projects I have been working on. The bracelet has a fire starter/whistle buckle and ten yards of braided fishing line, two #10 hooks, four split shot weights inside the bracelet. Their are all so four small zip ties you can get to without taking the bracelet apart.

(Image removed from quote.)

Partially inspired by this - as well as the fact that I know I'm gonna be carrying zip ties through most of December - I decided to try and put zip ties in a Trilobite-bracelet. Took most of the day and I'm still not happy with what I've ended up with. Six zip-ties might just be too much; either that or I shouldn't use zip ties that has to double back, at the end of the bracelet.
Hope you can make it out, in the picture - the camera in my phone is really crappy. Got my normal every day bracelet on top - three core Trilobite, with about 6-7 metres of paracord. Todays work on the bottom - still three cores, 2 zip ties per core, about 5-6 metres of cord. Didn't make it as tight as the other one. It works, as is, but limiting myself to 3 zip ties, no longer than the length of the bracelet, would probably be better.
2015-11-29 21.24.06.jpg
* 2015-11-29 21.24.06.jpg (Filesize: 188.47 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1811 on: November 29, 2015, 10:00:29 PM
I really like the Mad Max bracelets, but I'm waiting for my fids to arrive before I can make one.

Freaver, I really like your EDB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #1812 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:55 PM
I really like the Mad Max bracelets, but I'm waiting for my fids to arrive before I can make one.

EDB? I'm guessing you mean EDC? Or am I falling behind on the acronyms?

Having a fid or needle really helps alot, when making the Mad Max bracelet - I wouldn't attempt it, without a fid.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1813 on: December 01, 2015, 08:38:52 PM
EDB- Every Day Bracelet. :D

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1814 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:38 PM

A fid, marlinspike, lacing needles, or paracord bracelet jig aren't really needed to make that style of bracelet, although you can certainly use them if you wish.  Here's a photo tutorial, that I believe a friend from the DIY Tactical forums had originally shared on a long gone website back in October 2004 (luckily saved by the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine), for tying the basic Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet/cobra stitch/square knotting/macrame paracord bracelet and finishing with a BDU button, or alternately by pulling the end strands through the start end loops, like the new kids are calling the Mad Max style after seeing it in the movie recently.  :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:14:03 PM by Stormdrane »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #1815 on: December 02, 2015, 07:19:43 PM

A fid, marlinspike, lacing needles, or paracord bracelet jig aren't really needed to make that style of bracelet, although you can certainly use them if you wish.  Here's a photo tutorial, that I believe a friend from the DIY Tactical forums had originally shared on a long gone website back in October 2004 (luckily saved by the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine), for tying the basic Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet/cobra stitch/square knotting/macrame paracord bracelet and finishing with a BDU button, or alternately by pulling the end strands through the start end loops, like the new kids are calling the Mad Max style after seeing it in the movie recently.  :D

Seeing that photo tutorial, it seems incredibly easy to do it Mad Max style - it all depends on how creative you are, I guess.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #1816 on: December 04, 2015, 03:50:00 AM
My wife's Xmas gift came in, so I took mine back, it was my first attempt at a diamond knot, not the best but ahh, I got to make some adjustments but my backs killing me so I turned in for the night.. Sorry not the best of pic's..
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1817 on: December 09, 2015, 03:51:18 PM
Pineapple knot on a stocking stuffer.

Pineapple knot paracord lanyard/fob by David Hopper, on Flickr

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #1818 on: December 28, 2015, 01:24:05 AM
The Maxped Larkspur Messenger bag has an Easy Access zipper that allows you to open the main compartment through another zipper at the top.

However all the zippers pulls were the same color.

Not anymore!

I absolutely love this color blue, it hurts your eyes to look at but it grabs your attention.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1819 on: December 29, 2015, 08:58:26 PM
Some really nice work y'all. 

A simple wrap for my little prybar. 
IMG_9896 copy.jpg
* IMG_9896 copy.jpg (Filesize: 281.19 KB)
IMG_9897 copy.jpg
* IMG_9897 copy.jpg (Filesize: 273.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1820 on: January 02, 2016, 05:39:54 AM
Gutted midnight blue and white(glow-in-the-dark) paracord pineapple knot tied for this recent boot knife handle wrap.  Black and white 0.9mm string used for the keyring bottle opener wrap. Happy New Year! :)

Pineapple knots by David Hopper, on Flickr

Glow-in-the-dark handle wrap by David Hopper, on Flickr

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1821 on: January 02, 2016, 04:25:54 PM
That looks really good!! :tu:

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #1822 on: January 17, 2016, 01:59:34 PM
Really gotta get me some glow-in-the-dark cord...  :drool:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #1823 on: January 17, 2016, 04:32:57 PM
Gutted midnight blue and white(glow-in-the-dark) paracord pineapple knot tied for this recent boot knife handle wrap.  Black and white 0.9mm string used for the keyring bottle opener wrap. Happy New Year! :)

Pineapple knots by David Hopper, on Flickr

Glow-in-the-dark handle wrap by David Hopper, on Flickr

There are times when I'm at a loss for words to describe your work SD.....this is another one.   
 :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  :D :D :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1824 on: January 17, 2016, 05:20:17 PM
My oldest son and my wife are skilled at this...I need the step by step instructions!  Here's one of my son's creations:
DSCN0887.JPG
* DSCN0887.JPG (Filesize: 259.68 KB)
Barry

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #1825 on: January 17, 2016, 06:13:19 PM

my daughters handiwork
20160117_151121.jpg
* 20160117_151121.jpg (Filesize: 298.15 KB)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1826 on: January 18, 2016, 09:04:05 PM
Quick round up,

This fella

and this guy

which lead to this

and him

and then this

which I had to update after the new film to

followed by Jango Fett

Spent some time working out how to make this...

Made a few of these

The orange dog lead was well received, so an order came in for five more

Sorry for the long post, will update more in the future.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #1827 on: January 19, 2016, 04:27:53 PM
Do you use drilled through LEGO Minifig heads or are Star Wars beads available? Excuse me if I sound like a Noob, but I only knew Skulls and warrior heads and plain beads.

Oh, and I need to confess that after a recent post here, I always see Donald Duck when seeing one of the new Stormtrooper helmets. Dang!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1828 on: January 19, 2016, 06:10:29 PM
Oh I need to find some of those Stormtrooper heads!!

Awesome work Eman!

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1829 on: January 22, 2016, 07:00:16 PM
Do you use drilled through LEGO Minifig heads or are Star Wars beads available? Excuse me if I sound like a Noob, but I only knew Skulls and warrior heads and plain beads.

Oh, and I need to confess that after a recent post here, I always see Donald Duck when seeing one of the new Stormtrooper helmets. Dang!

Yes Lego mini figure heads with 5mm hole. Heads/Helmets can be purcashed as a separate item on eBay or Lego part shops.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%