Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Micra and Victorinox Midnite Minichamp and ??? Comparison/Review

dks · 25 · 34695

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I recently got a Victorinox Midnite Minichamp to use on my keychain, in place of the LM Micra I usually carry.

So here is a comparison between them to see who is king of the mini multitools.
They are both used but not in any way abused.

From their respective sites

the Victorinox Minichamp has:

1.nailfile with
2.-nail cleaner
3.Key ring
4.ballpoint pen
5.cuticle pusher (Note: Can also be used as a spatula)
6.blade
7.scissors
8.LED, light white (Note: Red in my case)
9.orange peeler with
10.-scraper
11.letter opener (blade)
12.screwdriver with
13.-ruler
14.cap lifter with
15.-magnetic  Phillips screwdriver (Note: No magnetism on mine)
16.-wire stripper

Color Red (Note: Mine is black)
Length 58 mm
Width 20 mm
Height 16.5 mm
Net Weight 46 g

And the LM Micra has:

1.   Spring-action Scissors
2.   Nail File
3.   Nail Cleaner
4.   Tweezers
5.   420HC Knife
6.   Extra-small Screwdriver
7.   Medium Screwdriver
8.   Flat/Phillips Screwdriver
9.   Ruler
10.   Bottle Opener
11.   Key ring

Available Colours: Red, Blue, Green, Black, Gray, and Stainless Steel
2.5 in | 6.5 cm (Closed)
1.8 oz | 51 g (Weight)
1.6 in | 4.06 cm (Blade Length)

Comparison:

On my scales the Micra is 3g heavier than the Minichamp. (Minor difference)
The Minichamp is thicker and shorter.
Note that you can feel the Minichamp in you pocket more than the Micra because of its thickness.

The Minichamp has more polished tools.

Scissors:

Micra is a scissors based tool and it shows.
Apart from being easier to use because of their bigger size (note  that I have large hands) they actually cut twice as much per stroke, compared to the Minichamp scissors. They also feel more solid, and designed for heavier use.

Both tools can, however, cut well with their scissors, which have similar style grinds.

Screwdrivers:

The Minichamp has two actual screwdrivers whereas the Micra has 3 and the Philips one can also be used as a flat driver.

The Micra flat screwdrivers are thicker and look more dedicated than the Minichamp ones.
The Minichamp small flat looks like it should only be used as a last resort and does not feel solid when used. Still, better than using the tip of the blade!

I used some Philips type screws that I had nearby and did a comparison test between the Philips screwdrivers offered by both tools. Note that the Minicham offers a proper screwdriver with four edges on the tip.

They both worked well and surprisingly the Micra screwdriver, despite not having four edges, like the Minichamp one, felt more secure in larger screws, having less “play”.
The Minichamp screwdriver was better with small screws, like the ones you find in toys; it has a slimmer and pointier tip making it more suitable for this purpose.

It also got less scratched when I applied a lot of torque on the large brass screw.

All in all, they both worked fine.

I would also like to add here that if you buy one of the original Minichamps, of which there are plenty on eBay, you will not get the Philips Screwdriver / Bottle opener /wire stripper tool. I consider this tool quite useful and have avoided getting that older version, so as to have it.

Bottle openers:

They do look angry!!  :D

No problems with either and they both make good use of the space adding a screwdriver too.

Blades:

Though the Micra blade is by no means large it is noticably larger and thicker than the on the Minichamp. It is also chisel ground which should make it easier to sharpen (you only need to sharpen one side).

They both work fine.
The Micra wins because of its bigger blade, but bear in mind that the Minichamp has one more, smaller, blade too…

Nail files:

The Micra filing area is a bit shorter but also a bit wider. They both have similar texture and both work. Their nail cleaners, though different in shape work well, though the Micra one, with it narrower hook, should allow you to dig deeper and get that pesky dirt out.

No problems with either.

Rulers:

The Micra has a, significantly, larger ruler though the Minichamp one is, significantly, slimmer and can be inserted into narrower gaps.

Still, the Micra offers more ruler than the Minichamp.

What does each offer than the other does not then?

The Micra has tweezers and the Midnite Minichamp does not.

If you buy the regular Minichamp you can have tweezers too, though you will lose the light and 1g in weight.

The Minichamp offers the:
1.   LED light
2.   Orange peeler with scraper (Originally used for opening bottles with pills)
3.   Letter opener (blade)
4.   Ballpoint pen
5.   Cuticle pusher

Out of these I would say that the light and the pen are good additions, but I would question the usefulness of the rest, taking into consideration that you already have a blade capable of peeling oranges and opening letters (maybe pushing cuticles too?).  :D

Looks wise at least here, the Micra will be the most unusual tool, whereas the Victorinox shape is quite common.
The downside is that when someone looks at your keys they are not likely to be impressed  ;) with the Micra, probably thinking it is a cheap folding ruler.  :(

I like the push button on the shield for turning the light on. Very clever and gadgety.

I would now like to throw one more contender in, the Victorinox Midnite Manager.

With the Midnite Manager instead the Midnite Minichamp you lose the:

1.   Cuticle pusher
2.   Letter opener (blade)
3.   Orange peeler with scraper
4.   Ruler
5.   Nail cleaner

but you keep the actually useful, for me, tools and you get a smaller tool that performs all the needed tasks but sits better in your pocket.

The Midnite manager is also noticeably lighter, 12g lighter than the Minichamp and 17g lighter than the Micra, or nearly a third lighter than the Micra.

Conclusion:

If you use the scissors and the blade regularly get the Micra but if you want a lighter tool with a pen and a light get the Midnite Manager.

If you like strange, unusual, geeky tools get the Midnite Minichamp.  :tu:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
nice comparison and excellent pictures. :tu:  These are both tools that I like as well and carry often.  One thing that I find in favour of the Vic that you didn't mention was the ease of access to the tools.  I know it's not a big thing to a lot of folks, nor is it a deal breaker for me, but it is a nice bonus IMO. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Nice write up! I do like the Micra, but find also for a slim/lightweight carry, the Vic Rambler fits the bill. Same tools as the Manager, but scales contain toothpick & tweezers instead of pen & light.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I was going to mention the outside opening tools in the Victorinox but forgot  :twak: in the end.
As you said Gareth you can access all tools easily from the outside. This also means they are more exposed to any damage and easier to get dirty, at least in theory. The Micra has a metal shell around the tools, an armour or exoskeleton if you wish that cocoons the tools and protects them.
But, you can open them without the extra step of opening the tool, like with the Micra.

I was thinking of going down the Rambler way Dutchman but I liked the idea of having a pen and a light always on me. I do seem to use the tweezers more than the toothpick, as I tend to make my own from hay, twigs, paper etc.

My main concern with the Midnite series is that because of the wiring for the light you can not give it a good wash, including as a last resort using the dishwasher, when they get really dirty.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Interesting comparison!I have a Manager on my work keyring as tool of last resort(and lovethe combo tool).I'd looked often at the MiniChamp,and finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago.Ithe Mini has done a few work trips,and whilst its good,you feel the extra bulk,both in the hand and pocket.Its kinda cool having the extra tools,but they dont add much!Mind you,I've just fitted it with Saphire scales,with pen and LED!

The MiniC reminds me of its big brother,the SwissChamp....I love my SwissChamp,but it doesnt figure in my work EDC.At work I need to find the tools withouthaving to stop and think about it!In my own time,its my most usual EDC SAK.I can see the Mini going the same way!

As to the Micra,its a lovely little tool,but it was litterly a PITA!My work keys go in my back pocket,and I just couldnt get comfortable,standing or sitting with the Micra there.Saying that,I gave a Micra to a lady friend,who gives it good use both at work and at home.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
great write up. i carry the micra and luv it but it does have its times where is a pain having to open it to get to the tools inside.

i would like to give the mini champ a go to see how it goes as a replacement for the micra. maybe ill get one and start a pass around one day
-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Excellent comparison dks, and I'd agree that on paper the micra does seem a much more capable tool than a manager or rambler ... but in use I'm with Kirky, and prefer to carry and use the Vics on my keys.

I have a Manager paired up with a Photon light and have found that to be an excellent configuration for me. I do like the Micra, but it's not a tool I'd want to use regularly - inboard tools and chisel grind don't win me over. It's gone in my (Altoids) micro tool tin - the whole purpose of which is a small lightweight kit to carry when I don't expect to need stuff, but I've got a ton of options should I get caught out. For me the Vics make a far better everyday tool, but the Micra is the better tool as part of a small "kit" for occasional use be it an otterbox, altoids tin, or organiser pouch.

As for the minichamp, I've never been tempted to be honest. It's like a manager with a lot of extra stuff, bulk and weight I personally don't need  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Here is a summary of the Pros and Cons from the comparison and the follow up posts. I tried to keep to 3 Pros and 3 Cons for each though truthfully they are all quite good for what they are.

Leatherman Micra:

Pros:
Better Scissors and screwdriver selection/quality (flats)
More discreet (in silver…)
Tools protected inside the solidly build and scratch resisting handles

Cons:
Heavier
Not universally recognisable
Inside opening tools and no pen or light provided – maybe too many flat screwdrivers for a small tool

Midnite Minichamp:

Pros:

Universally recognisable
Has a lot of tools including a pen and a light, in a small package
All tools accessible from the outside

Cons:

Some of the tools are of limited use (e.g. Cuticle pusher) or unnecessary in a small tool (e.g. second blade)
Too thick and heavy for what it actually offers
The plastic scales can be scratched easily and the tools can get damaged or covered with dirt or fluff since they are more exposed.

Midnite Manager:

Pros:
Universally recognisable
Has enough tools, including a pen and a light, in a very small and light package
All tools accessible from the outside

Cons:

May be too minimalistic for some people
Possibility of getting damaged if washed.
The plastic scales can be scratched easily and the tools can get damaged or covered with dirt or fluff since they are more exposed.

Offline SomeOneWho

Another good SAK alternative to the Micra is the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest (PTC).  The two are almost one-to-one in terms of tools/functionality. 

I've carried a PTC in my front pocket for about 12 years and use it almost daily.  Both are excellent tools (I do have both), but the PTC is noticeably lighter and more "pocket friendly".  Also, I like being able to access the tools directly and I get a fair amount of use out of the awl and toothpick. 

A good comparison review of the Micra and Wenger PTC were posted on SOSAK Online back in 2008:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=397&Itemid=35

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Great comparison of some useful keychain tools, personally I use Midnight manager and have done for quite a few years now,

I find that the set of tools are a good compliment to full size multi without adding much duplication.  I agree with Garth that the ease of assess of the tools on a SAK is better than the micra.  I also prefer the feel of it in use, its just fits my hand better.
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Well, I know that appearance is very subjective, but I actually love the looks of boththe Micra and the Minichamp, but for very different reasons. The Micra looks like a fine piece of well engineered tooling, fit for it's purpose. The Minichamp looks like a sculpted mini pocket tool/knife that exudes quality, precision, practicality, and maximum tool density.
Each has their own particular niche, and so that I am not forced into making carrying decisions that I might regret, I carry both. The Micra on my keyring, and the Minichamp on a longish lanyard hooked around my front belt loop, hanging in my front pocket.
It's astonishing how many different tasks can be completed with one, or both of these two fine tools.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
I've carried either a SOG Crosscut or Micra constantly for about 15 years, and just a week ago switched over to carrying a Rambler.

The blade on the Crosscut and Micra, in theory, should be harder for me to sharpen. In practice, I ran 15 years without needing to sharpen my Crosscut. It was still paper cutting sharp.

What I use the blades for... cutting boxes and letters open, both Micra and the 58mm SAKs work equally well. The scissors are better on the Micra (and Crosscut) for larger/heavier tasks. The SAK scissors are better for fine tasks, in my experience. Both are fine for paper, but as you pointed out, the Micra is faster with more distance per cut.

The drivers on the Micra amaze me every time I use them. They are really solid and surprisingly durable for such a small tool. The little flathead on the end of the file on SAKs is seriously weak in comparison. But the phillips on the SAK is surprisingly capable for its size.

I am NOT impressed by the cap lifters on either, but this isn't an area of critical need. I can waste a few extra seconds making a second and third attempt to pop a cap, since I open 2 caps every 2 weeks.

The files on both the Micra and SAKs suck compared to the file on a Crosscut. The only thing I give the Micra over the Crosscut is that it has a phillips instead of a toothpick. It makes the micra seem much more like a small tool kit over a grooming tool.

I've considered getting a Midnight Manager, for the pen/light, but in truth, what I'd like is Light/Tweezers. I guess a little scale swapping would fix that.

I don't carry the Crosscut/Micra on a keychain, so issues of weight aren't that important to me, but I have to say the Rambler is fine on a keychain. I'm not sure how the scales wear on the SAKs, but the stainless of the Crosscut and Micra make them virtually indestructible.

While I'd like to give a flat-out 'Crosscut beats Micra' statement, I can't. I replaced my original Crosscut with a new one recently, and fit-and-finish has fallen off significantly on the tool. While the scissors are still a little better on the Crosscut, I think the overall winner is the Micra these days. Which makes me sad.

As for appearance... I care not a bit. As long as the tools are not flat-out ugly, I don't judge either. The SAK is certainly more likely to be recognized for what it is. What people think if they see me with a tool is something that doesn't concern me. I'm certain if I pulled my Vic OHO Trekker out, THAT might have some reactions I didn't care for.  At this scale, I don't think even the most moronic fear-monger would freak out over the murder-blade on that vicious 58mm assault Rambler.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
^ that there is a proper post :salute:

I've never had a Crosscut - sadly missing from my small tool collection!

Love the Micra, Minichamp and others but the Rambler is my top keychain tool currently.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I find it strange that nobody apart from me seems to use the pen on the 58mm much.
It is used more than the other tools...  Maybe everybody else carries a pen   :D

As a sidenote I now use the plain, no light, Manager as I carry a keychain torch

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
It is used more than the other tools...  Maybe everybody else carries a pen   :D

This is exactly the case for me. I'm super picky about my pens, and the only commercial ball-point I like is the Pilot Precise V5 (extra fine). So it gets split away from any addition to a Multitool. I can't speak for others in this regard.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Yeah, always have a pen. Don't mind a SAK pen as an emergency back up, but prefer writing with something more substantial. Space pen at the bare minimum usually.

I'm a left handed scientist/artist type... need all the help I can to make things legible! ::)

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I keep losing my pens (BIC... ), but the Manager pen is attached to the keys and thus harder to leave behind...

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
I find it strange that nobody apart from me seems to use the pen on the 58mm much.

As a sidenote I now use the plain, no light, Manager as I carry a keychain torch

I actually do use it, quite a lot. Got a signature, and I think that indeed the pen is the most used part.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I keep losing my pens (BIC... ), but the Manager pen is attached to the keys and thus harder to leave behind...
I used to be really bad for doing that as well, right up to the point I got some pens I cared about.  I then found myself taking much better care and making sure I kept track of them. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

is Offline IceKnife

Really good and comprehensive review! I like the Manager most, ultimate tool setup for a mini multitool. The Phillips screwdriver is the best especially for electronics and such things :D
Hnífar eru lífstíll!
Knifes are passion!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Thanks for the reviews :)
Thanks for taking the time for all the great opinions on either tools.

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline Reccemonkey

• New User
I have the minichamp and I can suggest that there are actually 4 screwdriver options on it. You have:
1) the philips on the combo tool
2) the nail file tip that is great for small screws like those on toys (just like the philips)
3) the standard flat tip on the ruler that is good for medium philips or straight slot screws
4) the cuticle pusher/drug spoon that can be used for larger slot screws as a last resort, it is last resort as usually for larger screws more torque is needed to break to move. So it may damage your minichamp if you attempt too large screws. The cuticle pusher can also be used as a tiny tiny pry bar.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Good to see some new  ideas on how to use the cuticle pusher

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
I used to have a Micra on my keys, but I botched it when I tried to mod it. I did not have loki's wrenches and I scratched the screws, and after lots of efforts removing a screw, I could not get it back in because of the backsprings.
I retired it and put a Manager on my keys. Significantly lighter, I still had good scissors, and it also has a pen.
I've since fixed my Micra with my loki wrenches. But I do not like the massive cut-out for the tweezers, especially since the tweezers themselves are sub-par. But I do have a Micra with alumin(i)um handle covers, and I rarely use the Manager's pen anyway, so I might try the Micra again.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%