Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Groundbreaker

J-sews · 29 · 7205

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gerber Groundbreaker
on: January 19, 2012, 07:29:50 AM
We saw a lot of exciting things at the Gerber booth today, but perhaps most exciting was the new Groundbreaker. :)

Based on an electrician's plier, the Groundbreaker features a number of additional functions that would be useful to a residential or commercial electrician. Like last year's CableDawg tool, most of these features are located in the Groundbreaker's removable handles:

One handle houses a standard utility-type razor knife, which also features a quick-change blade system:

While the other handle contains a drywall (sheet rock) saw, complete with pointy end for starting the cut, as well as a magnetic hex bit driver. Both implements lock open using the familiar Gerber sliding switch lock mechanism.

And these Gerber engineers have really thought of everything; You know those wire clamps and connectors used with electrical conduit? (below) And you know how electricians usually tighten the castle nuts on them? They engage one of the clamp tabs with a straight screwdriver and then pound on it with whatever is closest until it gets tight.

Well, the Groundbreaker can do that too. :) At the base of the hex bit driver handle there is a steel impact surface...

....and at the tips of the pliers there are (replacable) heavy steel jaws, suitable for light duty hammering:

That combination should be enough to take care of those pesky cable clamps :)

Also included with the Groundbreaker is a well-thought-out industrial strength pouch.

It features a heavy nylon flap that gets tucked into your back pocket, with a strap that goes up around your belt for security. Accessory compartments in the front hold items such as spare utility knife blades, etc, while side loops are there for voltage testers and flashlights and the like. The buckle and snap strap at the bottom is intended for carrying a measuring tape or "fish" tape.

The example we got to play with today is only a prototype, but it felt very nearly complete to us. We're told that Groundbreakers should be available this coming June.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Gerber Groundbreaker
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:40:23 AM
Looks neat. Needs to be in all black :)

Great name too!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Gerber Groundbreaker
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:02 AM

Great name too!

Actually, I'm surprised you haven't modded up a version of this tool yourself by now Eric :pok: :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:46:15 AM
I really like the look of that. I'm a little concerned about what UK retail price might be though  ::)

Can't quite tell from the pics, but is the hex driver hollow to accept the bits straight away or is there an adaptor piece which fits on? Standard 1/4"?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Gerber Groundbreaker
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:57 AM

Great name too!

Actually, I'm surprised you haven't modded up a version of this tool yourself by now Eric :pok: :pok: :D

Alas. I have the parts but mother nature says nay.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
Like the concept a lot - not sure I'd have a use for it myself but I can see it being rather useful for a spark.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:13:13 PM
I think all BO would be groovy, too.  Still, I think I found an error in their logic, if you need to grasp one end of the clamp (with the pliers) and pound the other end (with the steel impact surface - on the end of one of the handles), you'd not be able to do both simultaneously with a single tool, correct? :think:

You can do one or the other, but not both... I think?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:09 PM
That's a very nice tool.  I'd have to play with it using various cables/wires and connectors to see if it's as good as my current electrician's pliers, but it looks good!

(btw, one of the things my current ones have are thread dies for standard sized bolts used in electric outlets AND an integrated bolt cutter--very handy when a bolt gets buggered up)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:53 PM
I really like the look of that. I'm a little concerned about what UK retail price might be though  ::)

Can't quite tell from the pics, but is the hex driver hollow to accept the bits straight away or is there an adaptor piece which fits on? Standard 1/4"?

Yep, it has a standard 1/4" drive receptacle (no adapter required)  And I forgot to mention, it comes with a kit of hex bits which are stored in one of those front compartments on the pouch.

I think all BO would be groovy, too.  Still, I think I found an error in their logic, if you need to grasp one end of the clamp (with the pliers) and pound the other end (with the steel impact surface - on the end of one of the handles), you'd not be able to do both simultaneously with a single tool, correct? :think:

Well, we were not able to test this function ourselves obviously, but I think the idea is to pop off the one handle, insert a flat screwdriver bit, then while keeping the pliers locked closed (note the plier locking switch in the second photo) grab the other handle and use the tool to tap on the screwdriver.

(hope that makes sense) Seems like it should work okay :)

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:25 PM

Yep, it has a standard 1/4" drive receptacle (no adapter required)  And I forgot to mention, it comes with a kit of hex bits which are stored in one of those front compartments on the pouch.

Well, we were not able to test this function ourselves obviously, but I think the idea is to pop off the one handle, insert a flat screwdriver bit, then while keeping the pliers locked closed (note the plier locking switch in the second photo) grab the other handle and use the tool to tap on the screwdriver.

(hope that makes sense) Seems like it should work okay :)

That does make a lot more sense; it didn't help I'd missed the locking tab in the picture. ^^;  Cool for Gerber adding that. :tu:

Did they have any clue as to MSRP or approximate street pricing?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:09:18 PM
I don't think pricing was set yet, but I seem to recall the target was about $100.

We'd also spoken to Gerber about the possibility of a sample for a potential passaround, so keep your fingers crossed!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:38 PM

Cheers Bob, that really does make the package more appealing

I don't think pricing was set yet, but I seem to recall the target was about $100.

We'd also spoken to Gerber about the possibility of a sample for a potential passaround, so keep your fingers crossed!  :D

Def

... which would put it about £120 GBP UK retail at a guess ... which is what I was concerned about  :think: I'll need to sit tight and wait to see what pans out on this. My only fear with this is Business Tool Syndrome, and becoming cost prohibitive in comparison with "conventional" tools. A pro sparky may take a different stance, but obviously I'm looking at it from a dabbler's perspective

The passaround would be excellent if it came off - I'd certainly be more likely to cough up the readies for one of these after than a successful trial rather than off the cuff.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:47 PM
I really like the look of that but, like Al, I'm a touch worried about the price.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:43:29 AM
That is a lot cheaper than the cable dawg. I wish that would come down in price

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 03:42:31 AM
That is a lot cheaper than the cable dawg. I wish that would come down in price

Absolutley. I'd love to try a Cable Dawg out, but $350 is far too rich for my blood.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:43 AM
Both this and the cable dawg look great but the price tags will prevent me from getting either. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:50 AM
The Cable Dawg, and to a lesser extent the Groundbreaker aren't typical multis the way we know them.  They are specialty tools, and the price of them reflects that.  Gerber won't be making as many as they did with the Diesel, Flik etc, and that lower production means a higher price per unit.

Additionally, the Cable Dawg has some very specific components on it that are (or at least appear to me as a general tool guy) to be very high quality.  Yes, it's not an attractive price to most folks, but by the same token it's also not meant for everyone.  It's meant for telecommunications workers, and it's a tank, so it can be counted on to last on a job site, being used a hundred times a day for years without a hitch.  If you are a telecommunications worker, you may just appreciate that enough to justify the money.

The Groundbreaker is a little less expensive but seems like it fits a different group.  It strikes me as a great tool for the kind of guy that takes odd jobs doing electrical work in the evenings and on weekends- a pro is probably not going to want this tool as pros tend to be pretty well stuck to their simpler tools as they are easily replaced if lost or broken, while the do it yourselfer probably doesn't have enough work in just his own house to justify buying $100 specialty tool.  But, for the neighborhood handyman that's always helping others it makes a convenient package that keeps all of you most used and basic tools close at hand for those times when someone calls and you grab your stuff and go.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 01:21:04 AM
... a pro is probably not going to want this tool as pros tend to be pretty well stuck to their simpler tools as they are easily replaced if lost or broken, while the do it yourselfer probably doesn't have enough work in just his own house to justify buying $100 specialty tool. 

Those seem like problems to me as well. That tool sure does look cool, and is obviously designed well for a specific job (and I'd love to get my hands on one :D), but from my experience doing electric, you don't want to get too attached to whatever you cut wire with, because at some point, whether it's your own fault or someone else's, there's going to be a "BANG", and it's going to be trash.  :poh:

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Gerber Groundbreaker
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 02:52:30 AM
... a pro is probably not going to want this tool as pros tend to be pretty well stuck to their simpler tools as they are easily replaced if lost or broken, while the do it yourselfer probably doesn't have enough work in just his own house to justify buying $100 specialty tool. 

Those seem like problems to me as well. That tool sure does look cool, and is obviously designed well for a specific job (and I'd love to get my hands on one :D), but from my experience doing electric, you don't want to get too attached to whatever you cut wire with, because at some point, whether it's your own fault or someone else's, there's going to be a "BANG", and it's going to be trash.  :poh:
Whaaaaat...?

I like this one. At $100 it's more use to me than a MUT. I'll be eager to see a full review when it becomes available. Thanks for the sneak-peek Bob!

Stay multi my friends

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 05:04:55 AM

Those seem like problems to me as well. That tool sure does look cool, and is obviously designed well for a specific job (and I'd love to get my hands on one :D), but from my experience doing electric, you don't want to get too attached to whatever you cut wire with, because at some point, whether it's your own fault or someone else's, there's going to be a "BANG", and it's going to be trash:poh:

Nope, that can never happen. See? It says right there on the side, "DO NOT USE ON LIVE CIRCUITS" :salute:

So there, problem solved! :D

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 01:46:59 AM
Nope, that can never happen. See? It says right there on the side, "DO NOT USE ON LIVE CIRCUITS" :salute:

So there, problem solved! :D

Actually... Now that I look at it again, I'm wondering if any of those metal pieces/screws in the handles have contact with the main cutter head? Because regardless of what that warning might say, wire strippers will occasionally be used on live circuits, and I would hope that the handles would be fully insulated, or you're going to have some hot electricians.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:25:44 AM
Since Grant mentioned the cable dawg  is built like a tank, I decided to get 1. it is nothing like recent tools from gerber. it makes the strata feel like a suspension. I think the locks should be a little more sturdy, but other than that it really is built like a tank. and all of a sudden gerber must of thought let's build a tool someone could actually use on a screw. the driver takes standard bits and is the longest on any tool I know of. about identical to the multi tasker.
the cable dawg is second from left
IMG_20120212_162410.jpg
* IMG_20120212_162410.jpg (Filesize: 268.99 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:41:24 AM
Pic
IMG_20120212_163431.jpg
* IMG_20120212_163431.jpg (Filesize: 284.7 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:47 AM
Left to right, second from last
IMG_20120212_163734.jpg
* IMG_20120212_163734.jpg (Filesize: 299.99 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:03:05 AM
Yeah, the Cable Dawg is a big honking piece of equipment all right.  At about $300 it's really only something a few people are really going to need.  Developed for linesmen working for communications companies it really seems to be worth it's weight, at least from what I've heard from the few people I know who have one.

It's a heck of a piece of equipment though!  :D

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 06:30:39 AM
Surprisingly it came with a user manual, which Gerber never does these days. I got it on the bay for 240. Travis reached out to a.distributor for me and they are discontinued

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:44:57 PM
That's because anyone who buys a Gerber is smart enough not to need a manual!  :D

I didn't realize it was discontinued- they never said anything about that at SHOT last month.  In fact, they even had a Cable Dawg there for us to look at, and they usually don't bring discontinued items to the show.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 11:47:19 PM
Well, they said June, and June is almost over, so....? :drool:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 01:03:01 AM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%