Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

sog paratool owners club

Zed · 193 · 50302

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: sog paratool owners club
Reply #120 on: August 11, 2015, 01:53:58 AM
Will the Paratool fit in the SOG small leather sheath ?

http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/leather-pouch-small.html
It fits, but when you close the pouch the attachmentring pushes against the leather, so I think it'll be ruined quickly..  :)

Thanks AHB, Does the sheath close easily or does it stretch over the lanyard ring ?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #121 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:21 PM
Will the Paratool fit in the SOG small leather sheath ?

http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/leather-pouch-small.html
It fits, but when you close the pouch the attachmentring pushes against the leather, so I think it'll be ruined quickly..  :)
Thanks AHB, Does the sheath close easily or does it stretch over the lanyard ring ?
It stretches quite alot, so probably not the best choice.. :)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: August 21, 2015, 10:50:52 PM
Scored a early Para tool with Blackie Collins Sheath.   :tu:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:39:49 AM by SteveC »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:35 PM
Very nice!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #124 on: August 24, 2015, 11:55:10 PM
SCORE!

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #125 on: March 11, 2016, 07:27:40 PM
I have joined the club.    :salute:  I got a good deal on one that had modded (added saw, strap cutter), but apparently never actually used.  Perfect shape, not a scratch on it, no sign the blades or drivers had ever been used.

Pros: Fit and finish, tool machining, unique design, good weight and size, high tool density.
Cons: poor tool retention, plier mechanism makes extracting handle tools or closing the tool relatively slow.

Some preliminary thoughts:

I love the fit and finish.  All the tools are precisely machined, everything fits together nicely, tolerances are tight.  I love the "Victorinox style" high polish finish.  Great for rust resistance and just makes the tool feel high quality.  I much prefer the polish to the matte finish of some other tools.  The tool has great weight and high tool density for its compact form factor. 

I must salute SOG for using hex bolts for the pins.  Adjusting tension, or swapping tools, is trivial compared to a Leatherman or Gerber. 

I got this mainly because I was intrigued by the plier mechanism.  It is stiff enough that it stays open when you want it open, closed when you want it closed.  I don't know if this will degrade over time though. You can open the tool one handed but it is slow.  Closing the tool is actually annoying.  You need to line up the handles and close them symmetrically, so that the locking tabs on the handles line up.  These hold the tool closed (no wobble in the handles when closed) but it takes far more mental effort to close than just about any other multi tool.

So far, I've tried it on some nuts here and there and I don't think this tool will fold up on me.  There is no play in the plier pivot, and I have no complaints about the plier head.  Pretty standard.  I have not had a chance to try the cutters.  The pliers are quite comfortable to use, no sheet metal cutting into your palms.

While the plier retention is excellent (which was a worry given its unique design), the handle tool retention is very disappointing.  Honestly, not much better than many low grade Chinese multitools.  The handles seem to be made of high-quality sheet steel of decent thickness, so I am not sure why the spring retention is so weak.  Two possible factors:

• Perhaps the spring tab is cut too long (and it therefore too flexible)?  I am not sure.  My PSTs are made from thinner sheet metal but the tool retention is outstanding (maybe too stiff!).
  • The handle tools don't actually have a flat part that engages the spring.  Think of how that flat bit that clicks into place on a slipjoint knife, or on the PST tools.  Instead, these tools (which are interchangeable with the locking Power-Lock) have this little circular tab that doesn't really seem to engage with the spring at all.  A picture might help explain what I mean:

In fact, after using the pliers, the tools become loose in the handles and can "stick out", which is dangerous.  I could easily see a careless person cutting themselves on the protruding knife after using the pliers for a while.  I supposed adjusting the tension on the pins might fix this. 

Design wise, the Leatherman Wingman/Sidekick have a similar problem but they seem to angle the spring in such a way that tool retention is far better.

The poor tool retention makes it hard to recommend this tool for more than light use despise the obvious care that went into its manufacture, which is a bummer.

As for the handle tools themselves:

• The knife is fine.  The chisel edge on a tool that otherwise oozes quality is disappointing tough.
  • The wood saw is not as a good as Victorinox or Leatherman, but is more than adequate.  Did just fine on some wood from the backyard.
  • The file is excellent.  Very aggressive teeth on both sides.  It reminds me of the Gerber file, but with a notching underside as well.  One gripe is that the teeth do not extend all the way to the end (which is also a gripe with Victorinox and Gerber files).  In fact, the file has a beveled flat tip.  Is this intended to be a large flathead driver?  If so, that is pretty boneheaded--it would be inviting a real headache for SOG's warranty department.
  • The awl is great.  Very sharp, very robust.  Only weakened by poor retention.
  • The strap cutter is interesting.  Honestly, I would have rather this was made a short tool (with just the hook tip), leaving room for a regular serrated blade in its long slot.
  • The can opener is fine.  On my paratool it is in the Victorinox style, with a small driver tip. I see older paratools have a Wenger style hawkbill opener, which in my experience is just a better can opener.  On a tool with so many drivers I am unsure if the added small driver tip (with no reach) is worth compromising the opener functionality.
  • The large driver is unremarkable (what is there to say?) and seems like it could handle light prying tasks.
  • The medium driver is fine.  Not sure the tool needed it to be a bottle opener as well, this seems like functionality that could have been combined with the can opener.
  • The phillips driver is precisely molded and has a nice long shank. It does seem a tad soft though, just trying it out on some screws around the house.

Overall, it is a fun tool that I enjoy playing with.  Unfortunately, the poor tool retention and slowness of tool extraction make it hard to recommend.   :-\

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:49:20 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #126 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:26 PM
That flat bit on the end of the file is in fact a screwdriver. I think its interesting you liked the file. Many others (myself included) think SOGs files are just terrible. Have you actually used it yet?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline gingerman

Reply #127 on: March 12, 2016, 01:11:30 AM
Between my wave and my SOG, the SOG goes more places with me. My only complaint is the weight. I wish there was a 3/4 size one with the same design and features.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #128 on: March 12, 2016, 01:28:46 AM
3/4 the size of a Paratool? That seem a little small given that it is already a light tool.

The SOG files seem to be variable, ranging from nice and aggressive to little more then a textured piece of metal.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: March 12, 2016, 01:28:47 PM
That flat bit on the end of the file is in fact a screwdriver. I think its interesting you liked the file. Many others (myself included) think SOGs files are just terrible. Have you actually used it yet?

I was a bit wondering about that too, I guess it's an older model (still made in the US?) and that could make the difference?

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #130 on: March 13, 2016, 05:17:04 AM

Quote from: yud
The SOG files seem to be variable, ranging from nice and aggressive to little more then a textured piece of metal.

I tried it on a piece of wood in the backyard and it did well.  It has pretty aggressive teeth. 

The file on my powerlock is garbage though.  Textured metal indeed.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: March 13, 2016, 07:06:00 PM

Quote from: yud

I tried it on a piece of wood in the backyard and it did well.  It has pretty aggressive teeth. 

The file on my powerlock is garbage though.  Textured metal indeed.
Huh. You must have gotten pretty lucky then

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #132 on: March 14, 2016, 12:32:26 AM
Huh. You must have gotten pretty lucky then

Not sure this picture shows the difference.  On the left is the POS Power-Lock file.  On the right is the pretty decent Paratool file.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #133 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:27 PM
Lately I have been carrying Paratool, and it really started to feel better and better!
First the mechanism was annoying, but it took some practice, and now I really enjoy it.
I have to say that this tool is really fun to play with!
I havent done any heavy duty tasks yet, just basic package opening and prying, loosing few bolts with the pliers. You know.

My Paratool is unmodded, and I have been thinking about adding some extra tools to it. The other side has room for two narrow tools, right?
At the moment it has only file, punch and a can opener. What tools would you recommend?

I was thinking about 1/4 driver, it can fit right?
I don't usually need saw, but it would probably look better?
v-cutter also is interesting, as I don't yet own SOG with that tool, is it good?
Any other ideas?
 :D
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: April 21, 2016, 04:21:09 AM
Lately I have been carrying Paratool, and it really started to feel better and better!
First the mechanism was annoying, but it took some practice, and now I really enjoy it.
I have to say that this tool is really fun to play with!
I havent done any heavy duty tasks yet, just basic package opening and prying, loosing few bolts with the pliers. You know.

My Paratool is unmodded, and I have been thinking about adding some extra tools to it. The other side has room for two narrow tools, right?
At the moment it has only file, punch and a can opener. What tools would you recommend?

I was thinking about 1/4 driver, it can fit right?
I don't usually need saw, but it would probably look better?
v-cutter also is interesting, as I don't yet own SOG with that tool, is it good?
Any other ideas?
 :D
Assuming I'm thinking correctly that the other side has a PE and serrated blade, phillips driver, bottle opener and flathead.....

You could actually fit a long tool and a short tool in there, although you will find that most of SOGs long tools (saw, V grind blades, scissors, & possible the V-cutter) are about 2-3mm too long to fit in an unmodified Paratool. Kampfer covers this mod pretty well here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=63536.0 (As a side note, I always feel weird linking to this page, because I gave him that Paratool, and he credits me first thing...)

I say you go for the mod, and fit either Scissors (if you like them, they take up 2 spaces I believe) or a saw (if you prefer that). The 1/4" driver adapter is neat, but needs an adapter and bit kit to work, so is really only good for sheath carry.

The V cutter is cool and unique, but a pretty niche tool, especially as you already have a serrated blade for cutting ropes and fibers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #135 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:11 AM
I got a second Paratool that is matte.  Different tool selection as well.  I was looking thru this thread and remembered the Paratool comes in BO as well  :D.  I may have to hunt one down as I originally said I was.
IMG_0718 (2) copy.jpg
* IMG_0718 (2) copy.jpg (Filesize: 171.74 KB)
IMG_0719 copy.jpg
* IMG_0719 copy.jpg (Filesize: 191.72 KB)
IMG_0720 copy.jpg
* IMG_0720 copy.jpg (Filesize: 159.3 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #136 on: July 21, 2016, 07:01:10 PM
I prefer the earlier "matte" Paratools.  Thy have heavier-duty tools with the v-grind PE blade.
- Terry

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 10:01:25 AM
I got a second Paratool that is matte.  Different tool selection as well.  I was looking thru this thread and remembered the Paratool comes in BO as well  :D.  I may have to hunt one down as I originally said I was.
Go get one..  ;) :pok: Incredible finish btw..  :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #138 on: July 29, 2018, 07:20:58 AM
Another club I can join...

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #139 on: January 26, 2019, 05:39:51 PM
Well, I'm very late to this Club  ;) But seeing that the Paratool is now discontinued, it may get a little more interest from collectors. Here's my entry...
IMG_2186.jpg
* IMG_2186.jpg (Filesize: 128.26 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #140 on: April 25, 2020, 09:22:44 PM
One of my Paratools had a snapped Phillips. On closer inspection, the older PST Phillips is very similar...and I just happened to have a spare. :D
Just needed slimming down and was a direct drop in.  :tu:
Paratool all good again.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #141 on: April 26, 2020, 06:09:40 AM
Great work, Max! Good thing you had a spare  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #142 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:40 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #143 on: April 26, 2020, 09:35:14 PM
Thanks guys.  :hatsoff: Was a broken PST that I had in bits.  :salute:

nl Offline GotBluntnose

Reply #144 on: February 21, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
To be in this club, is to be happy.

I have two, an older one (pat pending) (4 hole rows). And a regular shiny polished newer model (patented) (3 hole rows).

Full metal blunt force trauma

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: February 21, 2021, 09:18:41 PM
How reliable are the pliers of this tool? I can't help but thinking that they would unexpectedly fold close in your hand while being used, especially when under load

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #146 on: April 27, 2021, 10:00:47 PM
The joint locks up under load and because the geometry of the folding mechanism is 90 degrees to the pivot, there's no serious build-up of tension to cause them to 'pop' out of position under load.

...and they're easy to upgrade  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:37 PM
Paratool getting it done in the garden.   :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #148 on: May 23, 2021, 06:06:08 PM
Received a BO Paratool from a trade with encki - very impressed so far. It has the 1/4" bit adaptor fitted so I'm going to get the bit set for it and maybe the scissors.

Having read some negative reviews of the scissors, what are peoples experience of them?

20210522_103532.jpg
* 20210522_103532.jpg (Filesize: 159.51 KB)
20210522_103504.jpg
* 20210522_103504.jpg (Filesize: 149.97 KB)
20210522_103555.jpg
* 20210522_103555.jpg (Filesize: 168.26 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: May 23, 2021, 09:45:55 PM
Ain't she a doozy!  :like:

No experience with scissors in a Paratool, but my experience with SOG scissors in their newer tools has been....disappointing....to say the least. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%