Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1066715

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #3000 on: August 29, 2015, 12:25:10 AM
I admire those who know what their perfect SAK is.  I cannot for the life of me decide either so I carry a Swisschamp as a result  :D.  I love the diamond plate Ti scales  :tu:
It is a struggle, but that is part of the journey
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

be Offline Willem85

Reply #3001 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:24 AM
So I went through the entire thread for inspiration. I think I know the tool layout, but I got some more questions.

1. Is the cadet nail file usable as a screwdriver? Or is it too weak? Could you shape it like a big version of the classic SD nailfile?
2. Have you ever made a 93 mm with black scales, springs, liners, pivots and screws, but stainless tools? Would love to know if it looks as good as I think.
3. Did I understand correctly that you make the electrician blade yourself? So you could make a regular sheepsfoot.
4. In one post you were contemplating either the large blade serrated, or the small, and the other plain. What did you decide on and why?
5. You showed a graph of Ti color vs voltage. But there was no black in there. How does Fisher make their black Ti bullet pens? Can you make black Ti?

Thanks
Rockin' a Huntsman!

be Offline Willem85

Reply #3002 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:38 AM
6. Regarding the bit driver in 93mm SAKs, could you make one that fits the bits I already own? Instead of using the Vic bit driver. No bit holder required.
7. What's the maximum number of layers in a 93 mm?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:30:35 PM by Willem85 »
Rockin' a Huntsman!

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #3003 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:37 PM
I believe I just saw that two thin tools opposite the large blade are possible. Would combo tool and 93mm awl be possible to put on the same layer with the main blade? (in that case, I'd have my 'perfect' setup...)

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3004 on: September 02, 2015, 04:21:48 AM
5. Ti does not anodize black. The ones fisher does have a special coating added to it. I've tried everything I know and only a couple possibilities work. Have it zirc coated, dlc coated, cerakote. One other method works but that is one I'm still working on ;). Hope Syph doesn't mind me answering that one :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

be Offline Willem85

Reply #3005 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:37 PM
So they cheat. Thanks for answering.
Rockin' a Huntsman!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3006 on: September 02, 2015, 03:30:26 PM

1. Is the cadet nail file usable as a screwdriver? Or is it too weak? Could you shape it like a big version of the classic SD nailfile?
I think that would probably work ok.
2. Have you ever made a 93 mm with black scales, springs, liners, pivots and screws, but stainless tools? Would love to know if it looks as good as I think.
Yes I have but cant remember what number build that was.  I have black scales and liners for 91s and 93s.
3. Did I understand correctly that you make the electrician blade yourself? So you could make a regular sheepsfoot.
Ive made some from 91mm main blades, but most of the ones I use are from electricians.
4. In one post you were contemplating either the large blade serrated, or the small, and the other plain. What did you decide on and why?
I would choose large serrated and small plain.  I rarely need a larger blade for normal knife work.  If you need a serrated blade for rope cutting etc, you'd want it big.
5. You showed a graph of Ti color vs voltage. But there was no black in there. How does Fisher make their black Ti bullet pens? Can you make black Ti?
I would bet black DLC.  Thats the best way to make a uniform deep black color.
6. Regarding the bit driver in 93mm SAKs, could you make one that fits the bits I already own? Instead of using the Vic bit driver. No bit holder required.
I am working on making one for 1/4 bits, but there are 2 issues.  its VERY wide, so I think Id do it like the 93mm saks do the marlin spike.  Making the hex cutout is not easily done with tools I have.
7. What's the maximum number of layers in a 93 mm?
There is no limit to the number, but what Ive learned is that if you go thick you need full liners every 4 or so layers to keep the frame strength up.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3007 on: September 02, 2015, 08:31:43 PM
I guess this thread is now mostly my adventures in Ti converted 91s...  :D

I got to tackle a new issue though on this build.  Can the phillisp be put on the back of the dual saw layer.  And yes, yes it can!

I milled some off each side though to thin it down. I kind of looks like a leatherman phillips now.

Snap is good too. I used a piece off a corkscrew as the filler to support the other spring not used by the phillips driver. 

And the rest of the pics...

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3008 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:39 PM
Thats a cool configuration.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3009 on: September 02, 2015, 11:24:48 PM
Pretty sweet mod Syph.

It's basically a Ti Ranger with the Philips in place of the fine driver. Very cool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3010 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:13 AM

I got to tackle a new issue though on this build.  Can the phillisp be put on the back of the dual saw layer.  And yes, yes it can!

I milled some off each side though to thin it down. I kind of looks like a leatherman phillips now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Fantastic work as always Syph.  :salute:

I think matching the liner cutout to the scale shape at the end would have been a nice visual touch and improved the access.

Ever thought of flattening the pocket clip screws a little?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3011 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:21 AM
Nice job Syph!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3012 on: September 03, 2015, 01:52:20 AM

I think matching the liner cutout to the scale shape at the end would have been a nice visual touch and improved the access.

Ive never thought much about the screws on the clips, I just use what comes with them. I suppose I could use countersunk flat head type though.

I like the idea of matching the scale shape good call.  It was a bit ad hoc anyhow as I was building it, then realized there was no way to open it, so I had to make that cutout.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3013 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:51 AM
On the one I've just done, I opened the curve of the liners up slightly so it's accessible from the end, however mine is captive both sides, so opening the corkscrew first doesn't help like it does in this one.

Just as an aside, I've got an old Sheffield knife which has the rebate all the way along to house a corkscrew, phillips, awl, and something else (forgot) :P It kind of makes me wonder if you need any of that liner wall there or if you could open it up to follow the entire scale cut out, not just the end profile (it's the knife that gave me the inspiration to put both c/s and Phillips on my mod)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3014 on: September 03, 2015, 03:21:39 AM
Love that latest mod Syph - Brilliant/inspired/fabulous execution as always....
Good ideas from 50 + Z on the liners ....

And will stop the perennial MTo Cs vs Ph arguments - Have both....  :D  :o
This, I believe, is a much better option than the backspring fine screwdriver and chisel  - One of which is redundant, and one pretty much unusable !! .....

So do we now know the mystery tool you were working on? - That we were all going nuts about, a page or so ago...
It's the mid knife backspring Phillips ??

Or is it the bit driver you mention above?....

Or yet another wonder idea???

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3015 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:51 AM
Love that latest mod Syph - Brilliant/inspired/fabulous execution as always....
Good ideas from 50 + Z on the liners ....

And will stop the perennial MTo Cs vs Ph arguments - Have both....  :D  :o
This, I believe, is a much better option than the backspring fine screwdriver and chisel  - One of which is redundant, and one pretty much unusable !! .....

So do we now know the mystery tool you were working on? - That we were all going nuts about, a page or so ago...
It's the mid knife backspring Phillips ??

Or is it the bit driver you mention above?....

Or yet another wonder idea???

That wasn't it, you'll know when you see it.  ;)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #3016 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:38 AM
This, I believe, is a much better option than the backspring fine screwdriver and chisel  - One of which is redundant, and one pretty much unusable !!

Huntsman - I'm curious as to which is which (in your humble opinion of course). I've never had an SAK with either, but always include the technicians driver back tool when thinking about my perfect 91mm (speculating that it will be really handy)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3017 on: September 03, 2015, 05:04:49 AM
Oh no more suspense - I can't stand it!!

This, I believe, is a much better option than the backspring fine screwdriver and chisel  - One of which is redundant, and one pretty much unusable !!
Huntsman - I'm curious as to which is which (in your humble opinion of course). I've never had an SAK with either, but always include the technicians driver back tool when thinking about my perfect 91mm (speculating that it will be really handy)

Aha Tommywp - I was wondering if anyone would pick me up on that!!  ;)
As you say this is just MHO - And I don't want to fire up the backtools debate again - They are a little tricky to use - But better to have them, than not - IMHO!!

However to me, the redundant one is the screwdriver - As you pretty much have this SD on the can opener - and it's inline!!

The chisel, to me, is the unusable one - When working with a chisel, you are usually pushing the chisel along some wood and this just does not work for a T-held backtool.
It is supremely sharp! And of course, as with all SAK tools, you can always find a use for them - eg as a small, pointy, cutty, scrapy thing. However these actions can be covered by other tools (eg the awl) - So by that token it is also redundant!!  :o
I just dont think it's a great chisel -  ???

de Offline windson

Reply #3018 on: September 03, 2015, 06:44:52 AM

Or... Even more elegant, you could countersink the whole base of the clip and have just the clip itself emerge from the scale, this would also allow the knife to ride deeper in the pocket and eliminate the snagging and the deepest position.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #3019 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:14 PM

As you say this is just MHO - And I don't want to fire up the backtools debate again - They are a little tricky to use - But better to have them, than not - IMHO!!

However to me, the redundant one is the screwdriver - As you pretty much have this SD on the can opener - and it's inline!!

The chisel, to me, is the unusable one - When working with a chisel, you are usually pushing the chisel along some wood and this just does not work for a T-held backtool.
It is supremely sharp! And of course, as with all SAK tools, you can always find a use for them - eg as a small, pointy, cutty, scrapy thing. However these actions can be covered by other tools (eg the awl) - So by that token it is also redundant!!  :o

Thanks huntsman. I've hypothesized that the back tool screwdriver would be super useful for recessed screws on toys etc, but I've never proved it for myself. Always interesting to hear others' opinion.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3020 on: September 03, 2015, 02:09:11 PM

Thanks huntsman. I've hypothesized that the back tool screwdriver would be super useful for recessed screws on toys etc, but I've never proved it for myself. Always interesting to hear others' opinion.

I personally like the back side technician driver. I've used it on smalls recessed screws on kids toys and even as a stand in for a small allen key on bathroom fixtures. The can opener would never have reached due to the curved blade for cutting cans. One of the reasons I made my Troublemaker mod was to include the driver on the backside of the file which you don't get unless you have the saw and file layers together.

I agree that the chisel is next to useless and I've never found a good use for it. Did debate trying to grind it flat to make another flat screwdriver but decided I didn't need it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3021 on: September 03, 2015, 03:38:36 PM
The chisel is an aweful tool, and quite sharp too.  It's opened up my fingers on more than one occasion.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3022 on: September 03, 2015, 09:36:42 PM
An alox mod today! :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3023 on: September 03, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
Wow........ :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

de Offline windson

Reply #3024 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:15 PM

I got myself an Explorer today, but I was lusting for something like the above. Looks great! What's the turnaround time for a custom job on that level, Syph?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3025 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:12 PM

I got myself an Explorer today, but I was lusting for something like the above. Looks great! What's the turnaround time for a custom job on that level, Syph?

Oh about a week or two right now if its for something ive got parts for.   Still waiting on black scales to come back from anodize.

de Offline windson

Reply #3026 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48:18 PM

Oh about a week or two right now if its for something ive got parts for.   Still waiting on black scales to come back from anodize.

Thank you; I'll email you in the next weeks.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3028 on: September 09, 2015, 04:13:58 PM
I finally got around to ordering some mokume since Ive got more Ti scale blanks coming in next week for 84, 91 and 93 mm mods with the cross cutout.  I wanted some more options other than brass and aluminum to fill the cross with.

I couldnt decide so I ordered both the classic and white mokume, examples here on the knife scales.  Should look interesting as the cross inlay I think.  :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #3029 on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:19 PM
Interesting is an understatement I am thinking.

What about a whole scale in Mokume? Now that would be "interesting".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:18:49 PM by HarleyXJGuy »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD