Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1067002

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #4290 on: November 04, 2016, 04:51:46 AM
Oh now that diamond texture is SWEET! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4291 on: November 05, 2016, 12:16:35 PM
Diamond textured compact deluxe tinker!

(Image removed from quote.)

Those scales look awesome, they really do, but have you considered aligning the diamond pattern the other way? I just think that it might look even better if the long side of the diamonds were aligned with the long side of the scale. Keep up the excellent work!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4292 on: November 05, 2016, 12:32:17 PM
Syph - on the scales which are tumbled, but which have a protuding cross, do you polish the cross after tumbling? I've also seen some of your work with a protuding cross in copper - how do you do that? I understand how it works with the inset ones, but not the other type.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #4293 on: November 13, 2016, 03:06:50 PM
WOW!
I really like your CNC made scales. These look super professional made  :tu:  and are very beautiful!   :salute:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4294 on: November 20, 2016, 09:49:50 PM
Here's something a bit different for me.  I did one with that light module and went through the process to make those goofy liners it needs from brass.

I really like the copper cross on this combined with the diamond texture scales.  First time Ive done this as well.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4295 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:21 AM
That is awesome looking Syph :drool: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4296 on: November 21, 2016, 03:02:05 AM
Very cool.  I like the scales :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4297 on: November 21, 2016, 05:06:23 AM
Been a while since I've posted, but I've kept up with this thread. Wowzers!  :tu: Amazing stuff! I know nothing about metal work or mills, but would it make sense to start producing your own combo openers, inline philips, technicians drivers to replace the hook backtool, bottle openers that could fit opposite the small blade on a 91mm, etc....basically any tool that doesn't need sharpening and doesn't have moving parts? Seems way easier than what you did to make the scales and brass magnifying glass
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:16:21 AM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4298 on: November 21, 2016, 05:11:13 AM
...maybe engrave a dope Syph logo, or order number in to the openers?!?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #4299 on: November 21, 2016, 02:30:22 PM
Here is my Syph custom "Inventor" (large blade, awl, flat head, 3D phillips, metal saw/file in 93mm titanium scales) with new scales affixed.  The scales already had some pocket time when these were taken so a few little scratches.  Also, I lost one of the screws in the workshop while changing scales so there is one I had as a replacement.  I'll have to talk to Bob about getting some spares so it looks right.

The backs of the scales are pocketed.  They are the same ones pictured earlier in the thread.  I managed to persuade Bob to let them come to the west coast.  I'll take some better pictures on one of my next outings.

Hey Robert.

You only have these scales in blue at the moment?

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #4300 on: November 21, 2016, 04:05:04 PM
Hey Robert.

I'm not Robert, but I believe the light blue is the easiest color to anodize titanium consistently,  which is probably why it shows up more often.  It also happens to be the perfect color for me, which works out nicely.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4301 on: November 21, 2016, 05:36:14 PM
Hey Robert.

I'm not Robert, but I believe the light blue is the easiest color to anodize titanium consistently,  which is probably why it shows up more often.  It also happens to be the perfect color for me, which works out nicely.

Blue and purple are the easiest.  The only other distinct colors are bronze and green.  I havent tried etching yet to get a good green.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4302 on: November 21, 2016, 05:37:23 PM
Been a while since I've posted, but I've kept up with this thread. Wowzers!  :tu: Amazing stuff! I know nothing about metal work or mills, but would it make sense to start producing your own combo openers, inline philips, technicians drivers to replace the hook backtool, bottle openers that could fit opposite the small blade on a 91mm, etc....basically any tool that doesn't need sharpening and doesn't have moving parts? Seems way easier than what you did to make the scales and brass magnifying glass

I am working on my own pocket knife / MT design based on feeback about what people want in a tool.  :D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4303 on: November 21, 2016, 07:09:58 PM

I am working on my own pocket knife / MT design based on feeback about what people want in a tool.  :D

:like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4304 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:02 PM

Awesome :cheers: You already have a pretty good database of info like this I imagine as well :tu:  Can't wait to see what you come up with Syph :o :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4305 on: November 21, 2016, 07:52:17 PM

Awesome :cheers: You already have a pretty good database of info like this I imagine as well :tu:  Can't wait to see what you come up with Syph :o :like: :like: :like:
Ditto :popcorn:

K-Tibbs

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4306 on: November 21, 2016, 10:40:59 PM

<Throws money at the screen>
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #4307 on: November 22, 2016, 05:21:38 AM
Hey Robert.

Blue and purple are the easiest.  The only other distinct colors are bronze and green.  I havent tried etching yet to get a good green.

Runs off to searh old posts for a picture of a purple tilox.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4308 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:20 AM
I had done a shaded bronze to light-blue pattern once to show what was easy to obtain without professional tools :

Green and pink need higher voltage and surface etching

And blue looks much better than bronze :

Many reasons to make blue anodized SAKs, right ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:27:39 AM by m47mu74nt »
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4309 on: November 22, 2016, 04:31:26 PM
Hey Robert.

Noone has asked for purple yet so Ive only made blue.  I will do a purple set today for a comparison.  I need a pic of both blue and purple anyhow.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4310 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:40 PM
Hey Robert.

Noone has asked for purple yet so Ive only made blue.  I will do a purple set today for a comparison.  I need a pic of both blue and purple anyhow.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4311 on: November 22, 2016, 04:45:41 PM
Hey Robert.

:o +1  :like:

:popcorn:

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #4312 on: November 22, 2016, 10:01:34 PM
I am really enjoying the heavily tumbled TI with the copper cross.  A quick question or two - can you use the magnifying glass from a donor knife with the older type grey plastic and smaller 8x lenses or do you need the new, larger lense?  Also - can you mill the scale to accept the toothpick?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4313 on: November 22, 2016, 10:48:19 PM
I am really enjoying the heavily tumbled TI with the copper cross.  A quick question or two - can you use the magnifying glass from a donor knife with the older type grey plastic and smaller 8x lenses or do you need the new, larger lense?  Also - can you mill the scale to accept the toothpick?

For the Ti scales Im trying a new option for T&T.  If I fit the existing thick tools that the plastic scales use Id have to have much thicker Ti.  So.. I got to thinking.  Might as well just make Ti T&T and then have them attached inside the scales and fold out to use. 

The old mag glass, glass was much smaller than the modern one so the frame I made wouldnt fit.   I have wondering if there is a place to get different magnification lenses ordered a specific diameter though as an upgrade.   I would love one strong enough to start a fire.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4314 on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:11 AM

For the Ti scales Im trying a new option for T&T.  If I fit the existing thick tools that the plastic scales use Id have to have much thicker Ti.  So.. I got to thinking.  Might as well just make Ti T&T and then have them attached inside the scales and fold out to use. 

The old mag glass, glass was much smaller than the modern one so the frame I made wouldnt fit.   I have wondering if there is a place to get different magnification lenses ordered a specific diameter though as an upgrade.   I would love one strong enough to start a fire.
This all sounds most excellent Syph :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4315 on: November 23, 2016, 12:41:20 AM

This all sounds most excellent Syph :tu:

Yes, yes it does :dd: :like: :like: :like:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4316 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:39 AM
Here's something a bit different for me.  I did one with that light module and went through the process to make those goofy liners it needs from brass.

I really like the copper cross on this combined with the diamond texture scales.  First time Ive done this as well.

How it the copper cross done, is it an inlay that is then polished after tumbling? I thought the 3D cross on those scales was part of the titanium scale itself, so not sure how the copper gets onto it?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4317 on: November 23, 2016, 12:45:25 PM

How it the copper cross done, is it an inlay that is then polished after tumbling? I thought the 3D cross on those scales was part of the titanium scale itself, so not sure how the copper gets onto it?

It's a solid piece of copper that goes through the scale.  I do that before I ma check one the texture.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4318 on: November 23, 2016, 03:55:35 PM

It's a solid piece of copper that goes through the scale.  I do that before I ma check one the texture.

I see, cool, so the copper doesn't get tumbled?

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4319 on: November 23, 2016, 05:33:42 PM
I have wondering if there is a place to get different magnification lenses ordered a specific diameter though as an upgrade.   I would love one strong enough to start a fire.

I don't think a stronger lens would help with that.  Ultimately they all focus sunlight to a point.  The problem is lack of area, it's not big enough to gather enough light.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%