Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1056589

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 12:41:31 AM
that is nearly identical to the mod I've asked Steve to make for me, only without the combo tool and blade, and instead having an awl and file/metal saw in their place. Otherwise identical 4 layer alox SAK (if the bit driver can be fit to the alox frame).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 12:45:47 AM
Otherwise identical 4 layer alox SAK (if the bit driver can be fit to the alox frame).

I'm going to make it fit somehow.  I'm not in love with the plastic bit holder, that's going to get remade out of anything nicer than plastic, probably aluminum, Ti if im feeling richer.  I dont have the driver part yet though, its en route so I cant test yet to see how it fits.

What I found when I swapped the standard opener layer for the combo too, i missed having the driver ends of those tools.  But if I add in the bit driver layer, that solves that problem, and the combo tool becomes mostly just an opener.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:14 AM
well, I'm a UK user so knife is problematic, and I don't use openers and the bit driver replaces the bit ends as you said, so no need for knives or openers. The awl and file/metal saw are much more useful tools for me, hopefully both can be fit into a single layer.

If that plastic bit holder was metal, that would be pretty sweet. An entirely stainless steel SAK would be quite something to behold, liners and all. Although would take up the weight a fair bit.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:52 AM

If that plastic bit holder was metal, that would be pretty sweet. An entirely stainless steel SAK would be quite something to behold, liners and all. Although would take up the weight a fair bit.

Ya I think all parts that can be made for Titanium for weight, and then the standard SAK components.  Id LOVE that.. but a sheet of thick titanium is quite an investment. :D  But a man can dream.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:25 AM
Let me know how thick that bit holder is. I have small chunks of 1/4" and 3/16" titanium that I'd sent you just to see you try it. Also some 1/8" CF scrap that might work better because you could carve it clamshell style and sandwich the halves together. Does anybody have a picture of a naked bit holder? I've always wanted to look up one's skirt.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:29 AM
Let me know how thick that bit holder is. I have small chunks of 1/4" and 3/16" titanium that I'd sent you just to see you try it. Also some 1/8" CF scrap that might work better because you could carve it clamshell style and sandwich the halves together. Does anybody have a picture of a naked bit holder? I've always wanted to look up one's skirt.

I have one attached to a cybertool, I'll break out the calipers and camera after I get this baby to fall asleep! :D  The wife is at work tonight.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 03:50:00 AM

I have one attached to a cybertool, I'll break out the calipers and camera after I get this baby to fall asleep! :D  The wife is at work tonight.

I snapped some good pics.  The part is almost exactly 0.250 thick.  Roughly 3/4 inch by 2 1/4.  It has a seam around it, you can see it was made by pressing 2 parts together.

Anyways here are the pics.... Id love to remake in Ti.. oh boy!

By the way, this cybertool has the thickest liners ive ever seen on a 91mm SAK.. 0.050!  Its the butter soft aluminum though, so I think they beefed up thickness for this tool.  Yet another benefit if remade with stronger thinner liners, the tool would be thinner!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 05:50:50 PM
Oh this will be VERY Exciting... definetly one of my goals to have a Alox Cybertool!

The only thing with a titanium bit holder is I wonder if the bits would kind of stick in there too tightly, maybe since the bits would be enough smaller than their sockets because of the bearing that would not be a problem.  Titanium seems tough to get right when threads or friction fit is required.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
Oh this will be VERY Exciting... definetly one of my goals to have a Alox Cybertool!

The only thing with a titanium bit holder is I wonder if the bits would kind of stick in there too tightly, maybe since the bits would be enough smaller than their sockets because of the bearing that would not be a problem.  Titanium seems tough to get right when threads or friction fit is required.

Ya I dont think a friction fit would work.. maybe tiny leaf springs... hmm. I'll have to think about it, but there's gotta be a way.

Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 12:03:53 AM
The driver has magnetic retention right? Why not the bit holder? Teeny tiny neodymium magnets.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DH101

A titanium bit holder is totally doable. I'd go with multi layered construction riveted together. The slots could be cut into a single piece, retention magnet holes drilled and the outer layers riveted on. I really like eliminating SAK plastic. 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 12:10:22 AM
The driver has magnetic retention right? Why not the bit holder? Teeny tiny neodymium magnets.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DH101

A titanium bit holder is totally doable. I'd go with multi layered construction riveted together. The slots could be cut into a single piece, retention magnet holes drilled and the outer layers riveted on. I really like eliminating SAK plastic.

Magnets! Yes that would work.  Each bit though does have the spring loaded steel ball in the center, so a corresponding tiny indent ring in each bit holder slot would work too.

This SAK plastic is really low quality on the holder, so an upgrade to metal would be wonderful.  The design would have to be altered anyhow to fit in an alox frame as currently this slots into a gap in the springs, and on my alox model there would be no gap as the springs would extent the length of the knife.

Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 03:00:30 AM
Ah, treat it like a ball detent on a folder then. Assemble the layers without peening the rivets down and insert the bits a few times until the balls rub a line on the inside of the hole. Then pull it apart and drill a hole where that line stops.  :tu:

My only problem with magnets at the bottom of holes is keeping them clean of the metal shavings they pick up over time. Seems to be a bigger problem for me than most people for some reason.  :think:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #72 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:59 PM
Reminds me of this reply:

Most useful: CyberTool driver/bit holder. But that's also the ugliest tool (I don't like the plastic "cage" thing).

So I'm totally interested in a CT 34 with metal bit holder, be it titanium, stainless steel or even aluminum :drool:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #73 on: March 04, 2012, 01:42:15 PM
Reminds me of this reply:

Most useful: CyberTool driver/bit holder. But that's also the ugliest tool (I don't like the plastic "cage" thing).

So I'm totally interested in a CT 34 with metal bit holder, be it titanium, stainless steel or even aluminum :drool:

Ya the plastic cage is a pretty horrid part.  I tend to think of SAKS as amazing potential just wrapped in a temporary shipping package of cellidor... :D  I would stick to 93mm components only, but they dont make many!  So we have to find ways to get the 91mm goodness to a better frame. :D

Titanium sure sounds nice to me, and you can anodize that as well.  Hard anodized aluminum would work too... so many options so little time! lol  At least I discovered a fun hobby now though.  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
Looky what I just got from my local neighborhood electroplater!  My first batch of hard anodized (HA3) black scales!!!   :drool: :drool:

Most of these are 93mm but I did 2 sets of 84mm as well.  I want to pocket carry a cadet with scissors with these scales.

Here is a comparison with standard vic scales on the left.  The color is darn close, but not exactly the same blackness.  Next I want to experiment with a self etching primer to see if I can re-highlight the shield outline.  Unfortunately all that color gets stripped off by this process.

I had a long talk about what I wanted with the shop owner and what he could do.  He does use a bit different process to do his HA, which actually allows for a few other color options.  Stock natural is 60 RC from him, but he can do red and orange that is still 55 RC, which is really darn good considering stock regular anodizing is 35 RC.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:55:39 PM by Syph007 »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 06:46:26 PM
That is so cool!
And orange... awesome :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 06:54:53 PM
That is so cool!
And orange... awesome :tu:

Ya i know I'm pretty excited but I'm out of scales to run now so I have to wait till I have enough to make it worth while.

The red and orange are not as vibrant as regular anodize, more muted flat finish, but I think that's still fine if the anodize is hard and doesn't come off easily.  I got tired of only having the silver scales to mod with so I had to give this a try. :D

Edit: my wife being Dutch, I know how awesome orange is!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:40:50 PM by Syph007 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:10 PM
OH MY GOD. :ahhh And I'm not even religious. Those will look so cool. Do you have a price point for a Huntsman slim mod maybe? Red, black or BLUE :pok:

I tend to think of SAKS as amazing potential just wrapped in a temporary shipping package of cellidor... :D
:rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 08:08:34 PM
Ok I'm impressed.  I just did a toughness test. Grabbed a coin and rubbed it like crazy on the textured part.. then i noticed little silver flakes and my first thought was oh no its already coming off... then I blew on it.. nope that was the coin dust. Scale was unharmed!  It acts like a mini hardened file!  Im impressed.  :D  Should last forver in pocket carry unless your keys are harder than 60 Rockwell :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:04 PM
Kobolt! A nice dark blue,, that would look good,, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #80 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:41 PM
Ok I'm impressed.  I just did a toughness test. Grabbed a coin and rubbed it like crazy on the textured part.. then i noticed little silver flakes and my first thought was oh no its already coming off... then I blew on it.. nope that was the coin dust. Scale was unharmed!  It acts like a mini hardened file!  Im impressed.  :D  Should last forver in pocket carry unless your keys are harder than 60 Rockwell :D

That's awesome. Carry it with your keys in the same pocket and eventually realize your keys are too nubby to work anymore.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #81 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:19 PM

That's awesome. Carry it with your keys in the same pocket and eventually realize your keys are too nubby to work anymore.

LOL ya, and whats this pocket full of shavings about... LOL  No i pressed really hard down on it, wouldnt come anywhere near that kind of force in normal jingling around in a pocket.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: March 10, 2012, 08:50:19 PM
they look excellent mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #83 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:43 PM
Those look awesome!!!
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:22 AM
 :salute: :salute: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :gimme: :mail:

;)

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #85 on: March 13, 2012, 06:53:20 AM

Wow if its that hard could you sharpen carbon knives with it.. be damn handy
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 01:15:06 AM

[/quote]

Wow if its that hard could you sharpen carbon knives with it.. be damn handy
[/quote]

Huuummmm....

That would be an interesting one... A coated scale for sharpening would be really sweet....

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #87 on: March 15, 2012, 02:20:00 AM
Here's my latest that got finished tonight for a member here.  Two alox compacts with spare blades.

They turned out darn nice and are really light weight pocketable tools.  I will be making one for myself next.

Cheers!

Offline k12cop

Reply #88 on: March 15, 2012, 03:48:44 AM
Yeah, those beauties are mine and I can't wait to get my paws on them. If they look half as nice in person...I'm in love

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #89 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:28 AM
You should make some voyaguers next
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Voyageur

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24