Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches

dks · 218 · 49771

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches
Reply #60 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:27 PM
Great comparison, thanks for sharing!!  I've been thinking about getting a smaller light, so this could be very helpful to me.  :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #61 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:57 PM
A surprise on the pill…

It is marked as Tank007, something that makes me happy about its quality.

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that's cool. :tu: The first thing I noticed in the above pic and I had the same thoughts regarding quality. :salute: I may see myself ordering one of those at one point. I think I might like a more floody version of it better but that's easily fixable with a bit of scotch tape. :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #62 on: December 22, 2013, 03:51:01 PM
It is rare to find anything with a Cree LED at a reasonable price here so after a bit of thinking I got this. 

It has a 5W Cree LED (claimed, unspecified) and by the size of the reflector it should be a thrower. It is currently being charged as I was not able to test it during the day, too much.
Price 19.99 euros.

Specifications:

The  Reflector

The reflector is made from polished aluminium, nice, and the lens is plastic.

Inside:

The LED. Looks like an  XP-G.

The main problem with these type of low cost spotlights tends to be the battery. Usually they do not last long and die after a few charges.
Some beam shots will come later.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: December 22, 2013, 05:34:31 PM
No beamshots across the town? :pok:

That thing looks like a real thrower. :ahhh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #64 on: December 22, 2013, 07:38:42 PM
I took a few quick pictures, using my usual target a building about 300m away.

I compared the Romicsen RC-T601, a halogen spotlight and the new LED spotlight.

I did not use a tripod so the speed I could use was 1/100, full zoom.

The illumination produced by the other two was too low to show using the camera but the new one was visible and noticeably brighter.
Here is the new one in action (look above the window, to the right)

I will try and take some better pictures with a tripod.

The beam was:

I have a lightmeter App on my phone so I made some comparison readings of the reflected light, beam reflected by the ceiling, in a dark room to see how bright the spotlight was (this is a simple techniques use to measure the total output, both throw and spill..

On full, readings in LUX:

Romisen RC-T601  = 160
Jetbeam BA20 = 101
Halogen Spotlight = 160
New LED spotlight 101 to 160(moved between these steps). (and 40 on low)
Trustfire TR3T6 403-640(moved between these steps)

As seen the readings are in steps, so whereas you can not see exactly what the reading is you get a good idea, especially when comparing. I would say that the new one is not as bright s the Romisen (better LED in that one) but noticeably brighter than the Jetbeam.

I will try and take some more readings......

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:55 PM
If anyone in the UK wants one of the focusable headtorches that were mentioned earlier, you can buy identical ones from CPC for not very much money. They munch through batteries at a rate of knots though.

They're often on special offer if you get their special offer catalogues.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #66 on: December 23, 2013, 08:43:31 PM
Bought as a joke. Looks like a sex toy. $12.59.

It is 30cm long, normally but extends to 40cm or any length in-between these. To extend you unscrew it by a quarter turn, extend (there is a spring too that pushes it out by a bit at the beginning).

I assumed that it would look like a regular torch when contracted and like a baton when extended but it just looks like a smaller baton when contracted and a larger one when extended. comes with a clip so as to be hanged from your belt etc.

It is quite solid and reassuringly heavy; this could cause damage if such a need arose. Will it last? I do not know.

Cree Q5, looks like an XR-E or XP-E (there are other models with better LEDs available too). It has a plastic, highly convex, lens so you get a uniform, wide beam in regular use, which lights a large area. When you extend it you get the image of the LED, but it still works as a torch.

It is not very bright. The overall machining and finish is good. Low, high and disco modes.
Fun!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #67 on: January 15, 2014, 05:34:30 PM
Bought from Wallbuys.

I got 3 of these as they were on offer at the time and I wanted some really small AA powered torches.

2 gold, 1 black

They are zooms, similar to the SK68 style torches and cost $3-$5

They have no branding at all, outside or inside..   ???
Work with AA and 10440 batteries.
Cree XPE LED.
Glass convex lens.
They are all 3 mode High, low, disco.

They produce around 100Lm though they are, surprisingly , advertised as producing 20.

They are reasonably bright.
All 3 have uniform beams; a good sign for QC.

On the left you see the output with LiMh AAs and on the right with 10440

They are not as bright as the SK68 style ones.
All 3 are well made and the zooming is easy. The finish is good and they come with a pocket clip.

Here is a comparison with two other AA torches
The gold one is extended (long throw) and the black one is contracted (spread)

Overall they are definitely worth the money and are really small for AA torches, especially ones that zoom.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #68 on: January 15, 2014, 05:48:53 PM
Another wallbuys buy.

Ultrafire A3
130Lm
Good finish, good feel to the switch.
Cree Q5 (possibly the same as the one used in Tank007 E09)
Orange peel reflector (deeeeeep)
Tank007 driver.  :D  (again)

Cheaper than similar Tank007 models.

Surprisingly long, as shown in the comparison photographs.

With an AA torch:

It has a tail button but some of the extra length is from the head.

Here is a comparison with the Tank007 E09 (beams)

The Ultrafire is on the right and the beam, despite the similar emitters, is a lot more focused.

The outputs are similar.

Although it is not stated, based on my testing, it runs on Li-Ions too.

Tank007 on a budget   :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 04:26:36 PM
A sexy little thing, the Tank007 E10

Bought from eBay for under $14 total cost. (Tank007 models have doubled/tripled in price lately)
I got this because of the brand, the price I found it at and because I wanted a good qaulity small torch with a clip and sexy looks.

120Lm, 3 mode, rear button, smooth reflector, Cree XP-E LED.

Came in the usual box

In the box you find two rubber rings and a manual

Stainless steel head and rear button; aluminium body

There was a rough, sharp, spot on the head's grooves that I filed down a bit.

Otherwise the finish was very good - sexy little torch..

Some comparison shots

NOTE: the Ultrafire has an XR-E  LED instead of the XP-E used by the tanks

Beam shots

E09 to the left, E10 to the right

Note the shape of the beam of the E10, a result of its head shape.

E10 to the right, E09 in the middle and A3 to the left (note the XR-E ring)

The overall light volume is similar.

Did I say it is a sexy light?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 05:40:16 PM
I like this one quite a bit but would like it much more without the striking bezel. :doh:

This is a great addition to the market as for some reason the manufacturers don't see the potential of making 1xAAA powered flashlights with BOTH pocketclip and clicky switch. :tu:

The mode spacing looks good, maybe if the low was just a tad lower. :think:

I see they take Li-ions, did you try them? How warm/hot does the body get?

And how are the modes on the Li-ions. Do the lower ones remain the same or brighter?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 05:59:49 PM
The beam shots are with Li-ions.

They get warm but not burning hot (the Tanks have glued heads so the heat could affect that too)

Visually the low modes appear similar between eneloops and LiIons

The Tank007 AAA models have a reputation of similar output with eneloops and LiIons so it makes sense.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 06:08:28 PM
I do like the look of that E10. 8)

As Nik says; a decent quality, multi mode, AAA light with tail switch and pocket clip is an oddly rare beast. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 06:16:08 PM
I like this one quite a bit but would like it much more without the striking bezel. :doh:

This is a great addition to the market as for some reason the manufacturers don't see the potential of making 1xAAA powered flashlights with BOTH pocketclip and clicky switch. :tu:

The mode spacing looks good, maybe if the low was just a tad lower. :think:

I see they take Li-ions, did you try them? How warm/hot does the body get?

And how are the modes on the Li-ions. Do the lower ones remain the same or brighter?

Just reading a review that says the E09 head will fit on the E10.  Might not work out a cheap option, but it does seem to be a solution. :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 07:53:38 AM
I will try switching heads later.

There is also the option of grinding the strike bezel down (SS, not painted) so that you do not spoil the look.

The bezel is not very aggressive (sharp).

Ther main issue I have is the price. The normal price is around $35 but you can find it for about $22, which is still Fenix money.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
After popular demand, one request being popular demand for this thread, here are the Tank007s E09 and E10 with switched heads, both working and both looking a lot uglier than they normally look.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: January 22, 2014, 05:16:32 PM
I don't know, the E10 body with the 09 head looks pretty good to me.  Cheers for the experiment mate. :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #77 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:17 PM
I had to oblige; you and Enki are the only two that read this thread  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:47 PM
I'm sure others read it too. ;) It's got 9500 views after all. I didn't open it that many times. :P

Thanks for the fit test. I'm not as much of a flashoholic as I used to be so it's great to have someone that keeps me/us up to date on the latest developments in the budget lights. I have about half a dozen Tank lights and like them very much. :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #79 on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:46 PM
Two classic cheap diving torches. The same design/idea is used for many similar products, using a variety of emitters but with the same look. These were the cheaper, low end, versions.
These two were supposed to be the same, in different colours, but they are different.
The yellow one says Diving Flashlight on one side and Cree Q5 on the other.
The red one says shallow light on one side.
They both seem to have Cree XR-E LEDs and should be good for 200Lm

The specifications given by SPAMCORP ( http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Wholesale-F2-Cree-Q5-300LM-Waterproof-Diving-LED-Flashlight-POPLite-p-48259.html[/url] ) are:

Product name: F2 Cree Q5 LED Flashlight
Brightness:300 Lumens
Battery lifetime:140 Hours
Voltage:6 V
Current:800 mA
Max. Distance:350 m
Switch function: ON/OFF (please do not put it in to the water)
Waterproof grade:IPX-8
Casing colour: aluminium head + plastic body
Colour: black, blue, red, silver, yellow
Accessory: lanyard

Features:
F2 High Power LED Flashlight with 1pc US Cree Q5 white LED,4pcs AA batteries(not included),magnetic rotary switch, lanyard, packed into gift box

They both use a magnetic switch, so there is no hole where the switch is to let water in.
There construction is basic.
You have a plastic, thick plastic, tube an aluminium head with a plastic lens a pill with the LED and a switch. None of the parts from the one will fit on the other

The design is similar to the plastic money/key containers people use when swimming. The head and the body use two rubber rings to stop the water from coming in.
They are available with various battery types but I went for the 4AA model as the batteries are easy to find and safer if water comes in and shorts the circuit.

Inside

The two pills (red on the right)

And reflectors – LED part. The red one has a shiny piece of foil, whereas the yellow one has matt aluminium sides that act as a reflector too.

The beam profiles are similar – throwers

Their beam is similar to the one produced by the better and more powerful Xtar D02, shown here in the middle.

Quality wise the yellow, “diving flashlight” one has a bigger pill and a more solid feeling and looking switch. The red one has more space for the batteries so they rattle a bit whereas you have to squeeze them in the yellow one and thus they do not rattle.
They both have just one, similar, mode which you can operate by turning the switch either left or right.
They both, according to the internet, should be reasonably watertight. I bought them to give as gifts so they will be tested in the sea and the bath.
Interestingly, despite having an aluminium head, there is no contact between the pill and the head as they are separated by the plastic sides of the lens. Thus any heat will have a hard time being dissipated. I wonder if the ones using XML LEDs can be operated safely.. The Xtar has a pill that touches the outer aluminium body so the heat is removed very effectively in water, but we talking about a different class of product.
For 4AA, bright torches, they are quite cheap. Take into account the magnetic switch and their waterproofing (they should be ok for snorkeling) as well as the robustness of their construction and they are pretty good value for money.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #80 on: April 30, 2014, 08:23:11 PM
The second one today is a diving headlamp. I sometimes take pictures or use a speargun when I am diving/snorkeling and thus would like to have at least one hand free. The headlamp seemed like a good idea.
I chose the XML-T6 version, with no zoom as the price seemed reasonable.

It is a nice looking light with a head strap, rubber, and the ability to change angle, as with most such lights.

From SPAMCORP (http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/CREE-XM-L-T6-1800LM-Diving-LED-Flashlight-Headlight-80M-p-86720.html[/url]) :

1.Diving flashlight, specially designed for the people who are crazy with diving.
2.With its outstanding performance, it is widelu used in personal diving and camping trip, underwater hunting and so on
3.The headlight suitable for any type of underwater lighting needs. Waterproof up to 80M, can be set to constant or flashing lights (AAA adapter)
4.Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.

Specification:
Product name:   CREE T6 1800LM LED Diving Flashlight Headlight
Emitter Brand/Type:   CREE
Emitter BIN:   T6
Mode:   high /low / strobe
Battery Configurations:   3x AAA/1x 18650 3.6v/3.7v battery ( not include battery )
Switch Type:   Twist (Twisty)
Brightness:   1800LM manufacturer rated
Color:   green
Weight:   150G
Size:   33mm diameter

The two side caps can be removed to insert the batteries and so can the head. Thus, despite the rubber rings, you have a lot of possible water entrance points.
It has 3 modes, and secret SOS mode, operated my a magnetic switch on the top.
The head is made with nicely polished aluminium.
The reflector on the pill is also very nicely polished.
Despite taking 18650 LiIon batteries I would not feel comfortable using it in salt water with them as there is always the chance of a short circuit. Thus in the sea I will just use 3AAAs.

The pill looks like a standard drop-in.

Inside the plastic it has a full aluminium tube so it is pretty solid.

Again the pill has no contact with the aluminium head, You can see here the layer of clear plastic inside the head. I wonder how hot it will get.

The beam has a big and uniform spread, because of the LED’s size and the nicely polished reflector.

Here you can see it on the right, compared with the other diving lights shown before.

And with the Xtar.

It is not bad but I worry about the heat dissipitaion and the possibility for water to come inside. Lets see how it goes.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: April 30, 2014, 08:28:09 PM
So a dive light that one should "not put it in to the water". :think:

Interesting. ;)

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #82 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:57 PM
Great review's dks

you got me thinking.

Defend the Hive!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #83 on: April 30, 2014, 08:31:15 PM
So a dive light that one should "not put it in to the water". :think:

Interesting. ;)

Only the switch..  :D  I have no idea why they said that as it is magnetic and whether you use it in water or out of it should not matter. I assume they copied it from the instructions you get in 50m Casios about not operating their buttons under water.

Thank you Ja... now read all of them.  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 02:16:15 PM
A few weeks ago, inspired by Grant, I ordered one of these:

SL-2001A diving AAA penlight in yellow.  from DX

http://www.dx.com/p/letterfire-sl-2001a-15000mcd-led-warm-white-diving-flashlight-yellow-2-x-aaa-294667

On the box there seem to be several available colours to choose from

It uses a typical 0.5W LED and gets power from 2 AAA batteries. It looks very similar to what doctors have been using for years to examine your mouth.

It is basically a two part construction. The plastic body with a copper metal running inside it and the opaque head with the LED. There is a rubber o-ring to keep the whole system sealed.

You twist it clockwise to turn it on and anticlockwise to switch it off. Single mode, claimed to work for 4 hours on a set of batteries, which is not really that long.

With these lights you need to twist it a bit more, after it switches off to make sure that if the head gets pushed down during storage or carrying the light will not go on. Purely mechanical system.

The light feels light and solid enough, for a cheap plastic torch.

It has a plastic clip and a lanyard hole and came in a decent enough box with English instructions outside and inside the box. It also has a phosphor dot at the end, so that it can be located at night.

It is reasonably bright (good enough to check inside someone’s mouth).

In theory the whole design should make it waterproof. The weak point is the single o-ring. Overscrewing and damaging the head or the threads is also a possibility.

DX says it should be OK for 20m, and it does seem decent enough for some snorkelling or for using it in the rain, thus protecting your more expensive tactical and pretty torches. (the ones you buy and never really use but tell everybody about how strong and great they are..  :D )

It is thin but its length makes it feel fine in the hand and it should go in your pen pocket easily, when not needed.

So, instead of buying a boring penlight you can have a nice colourful one that is also waterproof. Or you could get a Cree LED torch for the same money or just a bit more.
IMG_20140519_130239.jpg
* IMG_20140519_130239.jpg (Filesize: 154.47 KB)
IMG_20140519_130258.jpg
* IMG_20140519_130258.jpg (Filesize: 69.24 KB)
IMG_20140519_135030.jpg
* IMG_20140519_135030.jpg (Filesize: 98.87 KB)
IMG_20140519_135205.jpg
* IMG_20140519_135205.jpg (Filesize: 42.16 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:41 PM
I have left it in  water, in the sink, for several minutes and no water came in so it is waterproof enough.

However, I am now pretty sure that it does not have an LED, but a regular incandescent light bulb, producing the usual orange tinted light. The pill is stuck in the head and it seemed like it had a bubble shape in the inside for the lamp, but it seems that that is just the actual standard lamp shape.

It appears to produce about 10Lm, which seems reasonable. I have contacted DX to see what they think.
IMG_20140519_195603.jpg
* IMG_20140519_195603.jpg (Filesize: 27.5 KB)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:08:39 PM by dks »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #86 on: May 31, 2014, 03:18:13 PM
Starry Light SA-22 BLF edition

This torch has interested me for a bit so when I remembered I decided to get one.
The SA-22 was available originally with the usual 3 modes and two disco modes, cool white Cree XM-L2 U2 emitter.
Original modes: Low(150LM,12h)-Mid(400LM,4.5h)-High(880LM<2.25h)
It is/was still available in this version from Wallbuys, for $23. For a premium, similar product the Fenix LD41 and Jetbeam PA40 offer similar performance/style, at 3 times the price but they should be even better quality.

A different version was produced, as a special for Budgetlight forums (relevant thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/28859 ),which had just 4 modes (including a very low one) and no flashing modes. A Neutral white emitter option was also added.

The PWM of the BLF version was improved, so as to be unnoticeable. The specifications were: 
4 modes, LL-L-M-H (0.2%, 2%, 25%, 100%), with memory, no blinky modes!
- Fast >2kHz PWM (maybe 10kHz), making the lower modes usable
- Longer runtimes due the better mode selection
- Neutral white XM-L2 T6 emitter

These were still available from the BLF linked site and were on offer for $20 plus shipping, which is a very good price.

I like the idea of a new emitter, being driven by standard AA batteries, 4 instead of the usual 3AAA you get to use in 18650 Li-Ion torches. Friendly and easy to buy batteries, with the XML brightness. You can use alkaline AAs as well but the current needed to drive the LED may be too high for them, so I would stick with Ni-Mh AAs.

Having already bought some 4AAA diving torches and seeing that they were good in the hand I ordered one, and it arrived in 2 weeks, fast. I did not pay any extra but it came with recorded delivery.

So the torch arrived in decent but crumpled box with instructions and a spare O-ring. It also included a decent, sheath. The box/specifications and the instructions are for the original model.

The push button (no momentary-on) controls the modes. It has a memory mode, provided you leave it off for a few seconds (off- memory mode).
It can tailstand.
You go through the modes by pressing the button gently (more gently than with most similar switches).

113.7g without batteries

It has reverse polarity protection and the pill in the head will only go in one way. (notice the grooves in the pill that have to match the ridges in the head.

The body has signs showing you which pole goes in, rather than which should stick out, which can be confusing.

The head is made from aluminium and it is a solid heavy thing. The emitter is centered and the reflector deep and polished. Glass lens.

The anodising at the point where the head meets the body, when screwed in was a bit worn, but nothing too visible. If you look at the pictures of the whole torch you will see the faint grey parts, on the black head.

The body is made from good quality Nylon but as the head is Aluminium you need to be carefull when you screw it in so as not to damege the threads (cross threading). The threads and the overal construction are very good, especially when you realise that this costs about the same as an Fenix E05 etc. Note that the head is dark, mat, black whilst the body is a slightly lighter, greyish colour. They could have easily made the head the same colour as the body. No biggie.

The most important for me is how good it feels in the hand. I have large hands but the flattened body feels much more natural than the usual circular bodies you get with torches. (knives, swords, pistols etc have similarly shaped handles, for a reason  :) it works ). I could have done with a slightly fatter body, still flattened, but it should be fine for most people.

The Nylon feels really grippy too. There is also a slope near where the body meets the head, so that you hold it the right way up, also adding to the comfort. More torches should have flattened body.

The Lanyard and the sheath are good, similar to most, decent, ones you could buy. Not premium but good.

When compared with the Romisen RC T601 in a small dark room (OK, Toilet) I initially thought that the Romisen was brighter as it had a stronger hot spot. however when I reflected the light from the ceiling it was obvious that the SA-22 produces noticeably more light and a much nicer coloured beam.

This torch produces a nice, "wall of light" uniform beam, with still plenty of throw. It will light objects uniformly, at a large distance. To test it, it was given to several adults, and most importantly several children, to go and play with in a dark large open area. It came back after a few hours with plenty of battery charge left and no damage or complaints.

The fact that on several occasions I had it on medium, rather than bright thinking it was the highest setting shows how bright it is. Of course, once you realise the mistake and go to high the difference is noticeable.

On high the head did not get too hot.

PWM was impossible to notice. It gives the best impression of a current regulated torch I have seen.
The low mode is a few Lumens and is not as low as you would assume by it 0.2% rating. It appears to me to be around 10+ Lumens and is good enough for going round the house at night. It is similar to the beam brightness of a standard incandescent torch. On that mode the light should in theory stay on for a few weeks.

Lowest beam:

and lowest beam (right) compared with the lowest beam of standard XML torch (501B). Lots of difference.

Also their high beams. Despite the fact that the 501B is not a thrower the SA-22 has a much more uniform beam, whilst still maintaining a bright hot-spot.

Some comparison pictures with a 4AA torch:

and a 2AA one

With an 18650, thrower.

Notice the difference in head circumference. The SA-22 has a smaller head for more beam spread.

BUY one!!! A proper XML cree, driven at proper current, using common batteries, in a sexy package.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:44:53 PM by dks »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: June 01, 2014, 02:41:40 PM
Thanks for the write up and pictures. :cheers:

BUY one!!! A proper XML cree, driven at proper current, using common batteries, in a sexy package.

I will, I will. As soon as the site is back up. :ahhh

And some more eneloops too. :doh:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
I took some torches to the beach and tested them in the water, up to a depth of 3m, whilst swimming/diving at a reasonable speed.

The two classic cheaper diving torches (4AA yellow and red) worked fine. They both produce a narrow, bright beam, useful for looking into the hiding holes of fish, or at a distance of a few metres.

The water did not manage to get in, so they worked fine. No noticeable temperature increase.

The one I was a bit worried about was the headlight, as it has 3 potential openings for water to get in.

To be on the safe side I used 3AAA alkalines in it so as as to avoid any surprises from LiIons or destroy any rechargeable batteries, if the water managed to get in.
This limited, noticeably, the brightness of the beam. It was still brighter than the other two though.

It worked well and enabled me to take pictures and swim with a free hand.
The beam is nicely spread with a middle hotspot, enabling you to see in opening but also see more around you. The uniformity of the beam means that you can make a video or take pictures without having the centre part "burned" from the high hotspot.
The position, on the top of you head, means that if you use a mask with clear silicone some light will get in and may get annoying. Also it means that there is not a lot of space to secure it, above the mask, so it may come off during fast movement.

Still, if you are not using flippers, it should stay in place.

At a depth of 3m

Some general comment for anybody using their torches underwater.

Do not spend more than you are willing to lose, as there is always the chance that you will lose your light or that they will get water in them (most will sink and not float)

Tighten them to the right amount. Too little and water may get in, too much and you may damage the threads or move the rubber seals out of position, on cheaper torches.

Many will have a switch movement that appears stiff out of the water. Do not worry as in the water, because of the lubrication provided by the water, they will work much smoother/easier.

After use rinse them with clean tap water and as soon as possible immerse them in a water bath for a while so as to remove all salt water. The salt, if not removed, will form crystals which can push part of the head etc apart.

If you have used sunscreen then use soapy water too.

Let them dry well before opening them. Wash your hands before opening them.

After opening them, again give them a quick wipe inside out and let them air dry for a bit.

Lubricate the rubber seals, contacts etc when needed. If the seal dries then water will get in.

Even if salt water gets in  you may be able to save your torch if you immerse it in tap water for a few minutes and then dry it quickly, with a towel and in the sun

Note that some diving torches will get very hot out of the water. If possible avoid using them for too long out of the water.
When I got out I used the SA-22 as my beach torch (which still did get hot..)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: June 28, 2014, 01:21:55 PM
Reporting for reading/commenting duties. >:D

Glad they worked ok and some excellent advice on salt water and flashlight maintenance. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%