Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Junk, thy name be 888

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Junk, thy name be 888
on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:25 PM
Triple 8 Cop tool- one of the flimsy "rescue" type tools on the market.  I would be ashamed to carry this on duty if I was a cop.

It's tiny, overly complex and flimsy- all things a Rescue Tool should not be.

I think only people who were cut from a crushed car, or who cut people from crushed cars should be allowed to approve production of rescue tools.

Supposedly this was designed by a cop- my guess is the cop who designed it spent more time freeing donuts from the box than he did dealing in emergency situations.

I also don't like the blade on the back of the hook- it's a natural spot to rest your thumb, making you a casualty as well.

Plus it offers you the opportunity to slash the victim while cutting a seatbelt or cutting clothes away.  I would think the victim would have been through enough trauma that day without having to get mugged by the person trying to help them.   :o

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 82brutus

Re: Junk, thy name be 888
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:23 PM
Good review.  But tell us how you really feel about it.   :pok:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:54 PM
Thanks and perfect timing.  I actually had that site bookmarked waiting for a restock of one of the other models.  I think I'll take a pass now.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:03 PM
That's not really a review... it is a cute little tool but my guess is the retired officer who designed it is looking to make a quick buck to supplement is pension rather than any need to put a good tool on the market.  It's not bad just because it's flimsy, it's also bad because it's kind of complex with handles that need to rotate in opposite directions in order to access the blade, and unlike a balisong, there's really no good place to hold it while rotating it.  To me, that says "concept" more than "practical" and let's face it, if someone needs to be cutting a seatbelt to get you out of a burning car, you don't want them fiddling with a teeny tool to get the cutter out when they should be helping you.

And, it's pretty slick, which just adds to the difficulty.  Imagine you have about thirty seconds before the gas tank ignites and explodes.  Two cops arrive, one tries to pull your passenger out and is carrying a Spyderco Police model or Vic Rescue Tool while the one trying to help you has a Triple 8.  It takes five seconds for the first cop to run to the car, half a second to open the blade on what they are carrying, and another half second to cut the seatbelt, leaving them over twenty seconds to pull the passenger to safety.

On your side, the officer takes 5 seconds to reach the car, half a second to pull the Triple 8 from their pocket, five seconds to try and open it, two seconds to locate it after they drop it, another five seconds to reach it and pick it up, another two seconds to try and open it again, half a second to cut your seatbelt while slicing open your chest and his thumb, three seconds to swear about his ripped open thumb, which leaves him only about seven seconds to drag you to safety.

So, congratulations Triple 8, your incompetent tool just killed me and burned the hell out of the poor cop who was just trying to help.  Congratulations...  ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:58:21 PM
So you're not a fan then boss? ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:16 AM
The one i was sort of interested in was the rhino.   Not really for a practical tool though, i was interested to have one just because of the weird way it opens.   Kind of the same reason I bought a crunch, it was just too different to everything else I had to have one to play with, never really intended to EDC it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:55:53 AM
If you want something neat to fiddle with then this is actually a pretty good choice.  If you want something decent, move along, nothing to see here.

Def

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Junk, thy name be 888
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
I hope I'm never in need of being extricated from a vehicle, again. But I'd better not be conscious if someone waves that POS near me. I'd consider it a threat to my personal safety and try to defend myself!

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:35 PM

Supposedly this was designed by a cop- my guess is the cop who designed it spent more time freeing donuts from the box than he did dealing in emergency situations.
Def

:rofl:

I actually like the look of it but you might have put me off a little bit  :-\
Everything’s adjustable

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:17 PM
Get a Sanrenmu T01. Cheap, all locking tools, tough and comes with a screwdriver and bottle opener
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:26 PM

Def

I thought it looked interesting too, but the end result is this is too much gadget, too little function.  I suggest you and everyone else give it a pass.

Def

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:50 AM

Def

I thought it looked interesting too, but the end result is this is too much gadget, too little function.  I suggest you and everyone else give it a pass.

Def

Same guy designed the Boker and Wilson Tactical Cop Tools.  I'm guessing it works way, way better as a fixed blade rather than a goofy folding knife.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:50 AM
I have no idea as I don't have either of those.

Def

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:50 PM
Nice job Grant. I've literally worked hundreds of car accidents in a 19 year police carreer thus far and have cut my share of seat belts. The reality is that you will cut someone out of a seatbelt with whatever is closest at hand at the time. Seatbelt specific cutting tools are great, in theory, but in the real world they usually occupy space in a uniform pocket that is better used for a good folding knife.
Famialiarize yourself with your folder and be able to access it from strong or offside positions. Then allow it to serve several purposes, backup weapon, weapon retention device, seatbelt cutter etc etc..
Also in our defense, donut boxes can be tricky... :tu:
Stew and K9 partner Ajo...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:02 PM
Thanks for backing me up on this.  I think you nailed it perfectly- get a decent knife that will do just about anything and familiarize yourself with it.  A fiddly little gadget like this is not worth the money or the real estate on your belt or in your pocket.  I can understand having a non threatening alternative for some things, but this isn't it.

Def

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:22 PM
Thanks for backing me up on this.  I think you nailed it perfectly- get a decent knife that will do just about anything and familiarize yourself with it.  A fiddly little gadget like this is not worth the money or the real estate on your belt or in your pocket.  I can understand having a non threatening alternative for some things, but this isn't it.

Def
Anytime my friend, well splained you... :drink:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:30 PM
Honestly I think cops should be able to carry whatever the heck knife they want, but that is sadly not the world we live in.  I know lots of people would have an issue with cops carrying intimidating blades, so I totally understand the need for tools like this- well, ones that work anyway.

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 02:57:45 AM
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 09:41:08 AM
I remember taking a fancy to the 888 a couple of years ago,but the UK prices were idiotic. I've also got a notion I'd read this review. Damn good thing too! If Def hadn't put me off,then Stews field experiance would have nailed the coffin lid down!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:23 PM
I remember taking a fancy to the 888 a couple of years ago,but the UK prices were idiotic. I've also got a notion I'd read this review. Damn good thing too! If Def hadn't put me off,then Stews field experiance would have nailed the coffin lid down!

:cheers:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 04:35:14 PM
so where can I get one ?  ::)
do they come in camo or pink as well ?
and has Chako got 20 of them yet?

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 04:42:28 PM
:twak: :D
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 04:59:50 PM

http://www.niton999.co.uk/shop/product_view_Niton-Tactical-Cop-Tool-by-Triple-Eight-Professional_code_NT52002.html.  >:D

Camo or pink? Don't know

How many as Chako got? Serve you right if he has twenty!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%