Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photo Essay: The SideClip

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Photo Essay: The SideClip
on: January 26, 2008, 12:45:29 PM
One of the first multi-tools designed to be carried clipped to the pocket with an integral clip this tool has many interesting features not typically found on larger tools. It is slim, light and has a fair assortment of implements.

First, we shall observe the SideClip in it's natural environment. Solitary and proud the SideClip remains elusive to the collector and user alike, fetching astronomical prices when offered for sale. Note the bisected handles, the proud button-head screws and the exotic matte finish.

Long discontinued the current multi-tool that best compares to the SideClip is the Leatherman Kick. Featuring an optional pocket clip and a comprable selection of tools the Kick is similar, but still very different than the SideClip. Note how it is fatter, heavier and stronger. Gone are the ultra-thin bisected handles and the matte finish, the Kick falls in line with all the other Leathermans, like so many soldiers in formation. The pocket clip no longer sets it apart, interesting and different. Now it is relegated as an option, one that most users will ignore. Modern and bulky the Kick gives in to the cries for more strength in the pliers, more comfort in the handles and stronger drivers. No longer something one can clip to the pocket and forget about, the Kick must be accomidated into one's pocket. Coaxed next to the keys and slid around when trying to reach for a pen.

Do not despair for the loss of uniqueness. The Kick is so much more capable than the SideClip, lament not for it's loss. Instead, spend the time and energy to find a SideClip. It will most likely be well-used and well-worn but will still be ready for service. Carry it for a while, see how it works and understand the progression continually occuring in our hobby and rejoice for the future. What is old will once again be new, in time.

*The Kick seen below has a custom assortment of implements, only those that are the same between the two models are compared.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Photo Essay: The SideClip
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:46:28 PM
That is Leatherman "minimalism" at its finest :multi:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:52:07 PM
I cannot wait until I finally get mine!! It will be sweet to finally have one. However do ya think Tim invented the kick to kinda bring back the glory of the sidekick?
S

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:00:14 PM
I cannot wait until I finally get mine!!
Should be less than a fortnight, or even 10 days.

I never realised the Kick was so fat-arsed, and that's the slimmest of their regular sized tools!

These comfort accessory plastic inserts have a lot of answer for.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:13 PM
I cannot wait until I finally get mine!! It will be sweet to finally have one. However do ya think Tim invented the kick to kinda bring back the glory of the sidekick?

I used to read a lot of threads about people hungering for the SideClip. Thursting for it's pocket clip and ever so slim profile. I used to scoff at those people, never having owned a SideClip I didn't understand the power that little tool has. I'm hooked now, the matte finish is like a black hole, I must have another!

If that was his intention I think he missed by a little bit. The Kick is a good tool but loses a lot of what makes the SideClip special.

Oh, hey. Look at this.
 :angel:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:09:50 PM
That goes to show that If ya really watch ebay there are deals out there.

Question.... what is the knotch for in the side of the handle scale?
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:24:05 PM
Yup, I got lucky because the word "SideClip" was nowhere in that auction and the thumbnail picture made it look like a cheap knock-off tool.

As I understand it it was for the Tool Adapter assembly to lock in.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 05:58:00 PM
Yup, I got lucky because the word "SideClip" was nowhere in that auction and the thumbnail picture made it look like a cheap knock-off tool.

As I understand it it was for the Tool Adapter assembly to lock in.

I think you are right.  The Supertool has one as well.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:27:14 PM
Excellent run through that, especially if you read the text to yourself in the style of David Attenborough....
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 06:50:23 PM
Another fine presentation Spoon!

One other advantage (IMO) that the SideClip has over the Kick is the loctaion of the clip itself. On the SideClip it is on the plier end, where it ought to be. The clip on the Kick is on the blade end, so the handles "point up" and can come open when carried clipped.

* Clips.jpg (Filesize: 122.25 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35:28 PM
Excellent run through that, especially if you read the text to yourself in the style of David Attenborough....

LOL!!!  I was thinking the same thing!!!  Hahaha. 
I love the Sideclip.  I'm really surprised it didn't catch on and got discontinued.  It is an awesome little tool, specially for people with minimalist tendencies.  Although I myself want a big Core, I am at heart a minimalist, and have been trying to cut down on my edc choices.  On another forum, I am doing an experiment which others have decided to take part in.  I am only going to carry my tiny Case Peanut for all my cutting for a whole year.  I may do the same with my choice of multitool.  I need one for work, as it is required, so I may start carrying my Sideclip for a whole year, see if I can get by with just that.  Hmmmmmmmm................

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:47 AM
A great read Spoonrobot, and some nice pictures too.
"

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:33:08 AM
Thanks for the comments!  :)

I had a pretty good fire going by the time I got through taking the pictures and began writing. Something about the cocktail of cold medicine, sleep deprivation and boredom really fires up the ol' typin' fingers.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 01:51:30 AM
That's why I finally broke down and got a clip to go with my Kick which was gathering dust in my drawer
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:43:48 AM
     I had an earlier model sideclip and decided to disassemble and polish it with very fine sand paper and flitz.  It came out almost a mirror finish.  Made for a smooth action depending on how tight you reassembled it.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:25 PM
I love black oxide tools and I'm thinking about a phosphate finish on my Sideclip you think is worth it?
Enjoy!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:13 AM
I love black oxide tools and I'm thinking about a phosphate finish on my Sideclip you think is worth it?

I'd be interested to hear how that works. The tool would have to be totally disassembled would it not? Do you think there would be any problem with phosphate build-up in the plier pivot?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:01 PM
The tool has to be totally disassembled, that is not a problem because I have the 5 point security torx kit to do that and the Side Clip is pretty simple to disassemble, about the build up I don't know I'm gonna have to try or leave the plier with out phosphate.

what do you think?
Enjoy!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 05:43:02 AM
The tool has to be totally disassembled, that is not a problem because I have the 5 point security torx kit to do that and the Side Clip is pretty simple to disassemble, about the build up I don't know I'm gonna have to try or leave the plier with out phosphate.

what do you think?

The disassembled components should be fine. I've thought about plating or coating multitools in the past, but I always get stumped wondering how the plier head would turn out :-\

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:47 PM
I would be more concerned with buildup on the smaller tools other than the plier pivot.  You could have the tool disassembled and have the handle scales coated and that would make the tool blacked out when closed and two toned when open and it would not have any effect on any of the pivot points.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 03:55:09 PM
I think that the project is worth a try and if it does not comes Ok, my sandblaster can fix it I guess. :climber:
Enjoy!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:42 PM
spoon, nice job, I carried the sideclip and enjoyed it. it is the most comfortable multi in the pocket imo.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:55:24 PM
Thanks for digging this thread up Roadie and nice job as usual Spoon!

I bought 8 of these things a few months ago, sold 6 and kept 2. I love them, they are one of my favourite LM tools.

I really like how slim the tool is, making it much more practical to carry. The matte finish is unique (I think) in the LM range. I wonder if the finish was the precursor to BO, being non-reflective?

If I had one criticism it would be the lack of a file - I reckon they could have squeezed one in there with a bit of LM ingenuity!

Oh - the notch is definitely for the Tool Adapter. When you attach the tool adapter to the Sideclip, you get to appreciate just how consistent and accurate LM engineering is - it's first rate.
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 07:57:11 PM

Ermmm no problem.... :think:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:20 PM

oops. Sorry scrappy  :-[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:40 PM

:D :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 10:07:52 PM
By way of reconciliation for confusing Roadie with Scrappy (well they both look the same to me  :oops:), here's some piccies of "The Notch"

* sc notch 1.jpg (Filesize: 23.45 KB)

* sc notch 2.jpg (Filesize: 20.5 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 10:47:53 PM
By way of reconciliation for confusing Roadie with Scrappy (well they both look the same to me  :oops:), here's some piccies of "The Notch"
I don't know how you got them mixed up, Scrappy's much better looking than Ryan :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:51 PM
I don't know how you got them mixed up, Scrappy's much better looking than Ryan :D

Run like the wind Scrappy!  :o  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 10:54:53 PM
I meant that in a strictly humours way Ben as well you know it :twak: :twak: :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds