Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife based multitool vs. plier based multitool.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Knife based multitool vs. plier based multitool.
on: January 30, 2008, 03:09:03 AM
As of late I've been doing alot of downsizing in my life, and one of the things I've been looking at are the things I carry, my EDC.  I think back to the days of our parents and grandparents and how most of them got by only using a simple pocketknife.  Well, in an effort to cut back, I've been looking into what I really need and use, and the fact is I don't really need or use pliers on a day to day basis.  I don't use a file.  A saw?  No.  However, I use a knife ALL the time, many times a day.   Scissors?  Yes, those are used often.  Screwdrivers?  Sure, a few times a week.  So, I've decided maybe plier based multitools aren't for me.  However, a SAK works out perfectly.  Knife blades, scissors, and a few tools that can be used in a variety of ways.  Lightweight, and useful.  For the next year, as an experiment, I will carry only my SAK Super Tinker. :climber:  Our fathers and grandfathers used a little ingenuity and improvisation to get out of sticky situations, and that's what I'm gonna try to do as well.  Let's see how it goes.   

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Knife based multitool vs. plier based multitool.
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:41:32 AM
Our fathers and grandfathers used a little ingenuity and improvisation to get out of sticky situations, and that's what I'm gonna try to do as well.  Let's see how it goes.   

I agree, but they also didn't face some of the more intricate and technical things we use everyday.  There are more screws, bolts and wires in more places these days. 

For a "downsized" EDC a Super Tinker is a prime choice though. 
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:24:48 AM
 I understand perfectly where you're coming from,but for myself,I think I'd hedge my bets and carry a Deluxe Tinker,Ranger,or Cybertool34.
I

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:26:34 AM
The Super Tinker is an excellent EDC knife. I will also suggest getting Plus scales for it. That makes a super handy knife even more handy.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:28 AM
As of late I've been doing alot of downsizing in my life, and one of the things I've been looking at are the things I carry, my EDC.  I think back to the days of our parents and grandparents and how most of them got by only using a simple pocketknife.  Well, in an effort to cut back, I've been looking into what I really need and use, and the fact is I don't really need or use pliers on a day to day basis.  I don't use a file.  A saw?  No.  However, I use a knife ALL the time, many times a day.   Scissors?  Yes, those are used often.  Screwdrivers?  Sure, a few times a week.  So, I've decided maybe plier based multitools aren't for me.  However, a SAK works out perfectly.  Knife blades, scissors, and a few tools that can be used in a variety of ways.  Lightweight, and useful.  For the next year, as an experiment, I will carry only my SAK Super Tinker. :climber:  Our fathers and grandfathers used a little ingenuity and improvisation to get out of sticky situations, and that's what I'm gonna try to do as well.  Let's see how it goes.   

Both the Super Tinker and the Mechanic (substitutes pliers for the scissors of the Super Tinker) would make great EDC tools for me, except that both are slightly too thick to carry comfortably in my pocket.

If the Super Tinker rides comfortably in your pocket, you have got yourself a truly excellent EDC!

I've carried a small Tinker for over 20 years, which I consider the noblest instrumentality ever produced by Victorinox for EDC.

Tinker has all the crucial implements, except for pliers.  Lately I've taken to also carrying a Gerber Clutch on my keychain, so that I always have at least some minimal pliering ability.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:18:31 PM
I carried a Super Tinker only for 13 years.  It is a great balance.  It also has a Phillips instead of a corkscrew.  While I occasional drink wine I am more a beer guy  :cheers:.  I only carry a pliers based multi-tool when I am going in situations where a pliers could come in handy.  I now usually carry my Champion plus but on occasion give the S557 some quality pocket time.  That has a nice mix of tools.  Although for an improvement they could replace that stupid file with a second smaller blade.  My metro-sexual tendencies aren't strong enough to want manicures yet.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%