Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Source for Wenger Rangergrip scales

Sags · 7 · 1884

us Offline Sags

Source for Wenger Rangergrip scales
on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:52 AM
Hey all first post, I've been on the SOSAK forum at Knife Forums before but it seems like this place might be more active.

So I'll ask the same question here.

Does anyone know of a source to buy Wenger RangerGrip scales?  I like the tool set and rubberized scales of the RangerGrip 78, except I like the green scales of the 178 better.  BUT.. the difference is the 178 has a serrated blade, and I want a straight edge.  So I'm thinking "buy the 78 and swap scales."

us Offline Sags

Re: Source for Wenger Rangergrip scales
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:45 AM
OK...

So I guess since it seems there is no place to buy Wenger scales, perhaps I'll go to plan B and make my own green/black 3D G10 scales.  I like making stuff anyway.

Hmmm.... I'm off to McMaster Carr to look at neoprene rubber for grips...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:59:33 AM
Yup you'll need to make your own likely.  I have a 78 I need to make scales for too, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Did you see the custom rangergrips here?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg575743.html#msg575743
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline Jmora

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:56 PM
cuscadi make nice looking custom scales too. I have no idea about prices though

us Offline Sags

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:04:51 AM
Yup you'll need to make your own likely.  I have a 78 I need to make scales for too, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Very nice looking.

One question, I noticed in the picture of the Wenger before the scales are attached that he made the backside of the scales with a small rim, leaving the entire middle of the scale recessed tiny bit.

Is this necessary to make those scales fit properly.  I have made wood scales for both 91mm and 111mm slide lock Victorinox knifes, and apart from the recess for the pins, and slots for toothpick tweezer, and the slot for the slide on the 111mm,  I left the backside flat. 

If it is necessary to recess the backside of Wenger scales like that, it would make them significantly harder to craft.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:50 AM

Very nice looking.

One question, I noticed in the picture of the Wenger before the scales are attached that he made the backside of the scales with a small rim, leaving the entire middle of the scale recessed tiny bit.

Is this necessary to make those scales fit properly.  I have made wood scales for both 91mm and 111mm slide lock Victorinox knifes, and apart from the recess for the pins, and slots for toothpick tweezer, and the slot for the slide on the 111mm,  I left the backside flat. 

If it is necessary to recess the backside of Wenger scales like that, it would make them significantly harder to craft.

Its only necessary if you want to hide the outer liner.  The stock plastic scales fit that way and hide the liner. I suspect since the plastic isnt all that strong is adds to the strength too.  Wood would certainly be strong enough on its own, so its really esthetics at that point, how you want it to look.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Sags

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:53 AM
Its only necessary if you want to hide the outer liner.  The stock plastic scales fit that way and hide the liner. I suspect since the plastic isnt all that strong is adds to the strength too.  Wood would certainly be strong enough on its own, so its really esthetics at that point, how you want it to look.

I'm actually thinking of doing the scales out of something like this 3D G10

So now that I think about it, it would be easy enough to buy a piece of black plastic spacer material, and cut out to make the recess to hide the liner.

Was also thinking of getting some textured neoprene rubber like is on this page
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3528/=gkvsd8
and trying to inlay some rubber grip areas ala the RangerGrip ones.

Maybe a month or so before I get stuff together, but I think I'll try it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:43:34 AM by Sags »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD