Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any pipe smokers here?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Any pipe smokers here?
on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:15 AM
Not that kind of pipe, you damn hippies! :twak: :)  Today was such a beautiful day, and I actually got out of work on time, and decided to relax a bit:

The pipe is a Dr. Grabow Riviera, and is my favorite for flake tobaccos.  The knife is a Rodgers smoker's knife, made in Sheffield.  University Flake was almost impossible to find here in the US until recently, and I must say I like it.  I know, it's not exactly common to see a 33 year old smoking a briar, but what can I say, I'm unique in many ways  :D.  I have a collection of about 10 briars and a number of corncobs, and for relaxing outside on a nice day, there are few things better.  Anyone else out there enjoy pipe smoking?
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Any pipe smokers here?
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:25:52 AM
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't smoked one in while.
Is that a cool smoke?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32:02 AM
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't smoked one in while.
Is that a cool smoke?

Yes it is, but you have to let it dry out a bit.  I rub the flakes out usually and let the tobacco sit for a half an hour or so before loading the pipe.  SOP with any pressed tobacco with me.  It's a VA/burley mix, very nice.  :tu:  MacBaren's Navy Flake is a favorite of mine too, a bit lighter than the University but a nice summer smoke.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:22 AM
Sweet, i will have to find some. Last time i smoke my pipe it was borkum riff.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:49 AM
Here's a great tobacco review site, aptly named......

http://tobaccoreviews.com/

Lots of good info there.  There's a smoke shop in the town I work in that has a very nice selection of pipes and tobaccos, from their own house blends to some harder-to-find tins.  I started off with a corncob and Prince Albert, a joke gift from a friend who thought that it was funny that I rolled my own cigarettes.  If you think that knives and MTs are expensive, I'll have to post pics of some of my pipes!  :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:05 AM
Thanks for the link. Your are right about the pipes. They can get rather expensive. But they are worth it.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:07:32 AM
I have been thinking about getting a pipe for a while now. Any advice for when I decide to dive into the pipe smoking scene?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:28 PM
If I were you Captain, I'd get a corncob made by a company called Missouri Meerchaum and a pouch of tobacco like Prince Albert and experiment a bit.  Avoid things like Captain Black and such,  super wet, highly flavored crap that will scald the inside of your mouth.  There are some good sites with tips for beginners such as:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you enjoy it, go on and get yourself some different tobaccos and a briar or two.  If you don't like it, you're only out $10-15 for the cob and the tobacco.  I'll warn you though, if you're a cigarette smoker, don't expect the nic hit like you get from a cig. 

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:56 PM
I have an old meerschaum I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away about 10 yrs. ago.  I smoke it very occasionally, mostly just to keep up appearances (academics you know...).  I haven't tried a lot of different tobaccos but I do like the drier ones better.  I hate all that flavored crap in them.  I do prefer a sweet cigar in comparison though, and I although I am an occasional smoker at best, I find I cigars more convenient.  Although I have to say, that I can't really finish one before the nicotine in them makes me feel like my head's gonna go all Scanners on me... which is the nice thing about a pipe.  Just wish they were easier to use.

(And yeah, for what it's worth, I am a damn hippie some of the time! :D )
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:39 AM
Not that kind of pipe, you damn hippies! :twak: :)  Today was such a beautiful day, and I actually got out of work on time, and decided to relax a bit:

(Image removed from quote.)

The pipe is a Dr. Grabow Riviera, and is my favorite for flake tobaccos.  The knife is a Rodgers smoker's knife, made in Sheffield.  University Flake was almost impossible to find here in the US until recently, and I must say I like it.  I know, it's not exactly common to see a 33 year old smoking a briar, but what can I say, I'm unique in many ways  :D.  I have a collection of about 10 briars and a number of corncobs, and for relaxing outside on a nice day, there are few things better.  Anyone else out there enjoy pipe smoking?
Btw, i forgot to mention, i like that pipe.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:09 AM

(And yeah, for what it's worth, I am a damn hippie some of the time! :D )
:D I wouldn't expect anything less from a psych professor  :P.  As for cigars, I enjoy them too, and you're right about the convenience factor most of the time.  I do have a nice pipe pouch though, holds the pipe, pipe tool, cleaners, and tobacco in a pretty small package.  Some of my smaller pipes go with me out and about as often as I bring a cigar along.

@DTT- Thanks!  I like Dr. Grabows.  They're a nice way to expand a collection of briars without breaking the bank.  Nothing special, just decent quality pipes.  Think of them as the Rough Riders of the tobacco world  :).  I have some higher end pipes as well, but my Grabows see the most use.  I'll have to post some pics tomorrow.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:19 PM
My favorite pipe still to this day is a Dr. Garbow Freehand.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Corso

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:41 AM
Jerseydevil, nice Riviera and tool!  I dig the metal windcap too.  I haven't tried University Flake yet.

My favorite pipe still to this day is a Dr. Garbow Freehand.

Same here.  I'm partial to the 07 shape and have a few, but I like a good cob as well.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:57:32 AM by Corso »

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:36 PM
This one is very similar to the one I have.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180718374915?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

I prefer the more curved stem to the straighter or stubby style stems.  I like the increased cooling it gives the smoke, and find them more comfortable to hold, but they are a pita to clean.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:22 AM
@Corso - Very nice Freehand, and welcome to the forum!  My favorite cob is the Great Dane spool my Missouri Meerschaum, one of the models that has a wooden plug in the bottom.  Great pipe.

@Heinz - That meer is nice!  I agree that full bents are great to smoke, but a PITA to get a pipe cleaner through.  One thing you might want to look for is what is known as a military mount.  This allows the stem to be removed from the bowl without needing to wait for the briar to cool down, even while smoking.  That way you can get a pipe cleaner into the bowl no problem.  This is the one that I have, a Grabow Omega:

This is one of my favorites.  One day I WILL have a Petersen mil mount.  I know of a local store that has them, but these things called SAKs and multitools seem to take up my spare cash.....  ::)

us Offline Corso

Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 02:31:30 AM
@Corso - Very nice Freehand, and welcome to the forum!  My favorite cob is the Great Dane spool my Missouri Meerschaum, one of the models that has a wooden plug in the bottom.  Great pipe.

Thank your for the welcome.   I'm also a fan of the MM cobs and have added wood plugs to the bottom of a few.  I've even made a couple of unique new variants (cheap and easy to modify).  I'm liking that Omega.  I didn't know they all have a military mount, I might have to pick one up. 

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 05:03:47 AM

@Heinz - That meer is nice!  I agree that full bents are great to smoke, but a PITA to get a pipe cleaner through.  One thing you might want to look for is what is known as a military mount.  This allows the stem to be removed from the bowl without needing to wait for the briar to cool down, even while smoking.  That way you can get a pipe cleaner into the bowl no problem.  This is the one that I have, a Grabow Omega:

This is one of my favorites.  One day I WILL have a Petersen mil mount.  I know of a local store that has them, but these things called SAKs and multitools seem to take up my spare cash.....  ::)
Thanks for the info JD... that's good to know.  I'm still pretty much a novice at this because I do it so rarely.  My wife and kids all hate it when I actually do smoke, and I can feel what it does to my lungs pretty much right away.  Mostly I end up smoking just when I'm hanging with friends and playing cards, or doing man-cave/guy type stuff.

I've thought about getting another pipe just to have as a general purpose user, because the meer I have is kind of an antique, since I inherited it from my grandfather.  I didn't know you could get a briar with a full bend stem like that.  (Shows how much I know... :P

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 04:30:31 AM
Got this pipe the other day.

I think it's a Vilani or Vilano. Something like that :think:

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 05:05:10 AM
Very nice Terry!  :tu:  Now you have to get another one to use while that one is resting.  And another one just because.  And a couple of cobs. And....  :pok:  ;)

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 05:17:47 AM
I need to throw my cigarettes away and take up pipe smoking.

at almost 10.00 a pack I'd need to slow down and enjoy my smoke more
Defend the Hive!!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 08:44:20 AM
You might try electronic cigarette. I still do 0-3 cigarettes a day, although I did none for 6 months. And a pipe or two per month. I have the pleasure but at a lower cost, less dependence and less health hazards. This is harm reduction through substitution treatment. Started with 16mg nicotine (1.6%) and now I am at 4mg (0.4%) after 21 months.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 06:08:40 PM
nice pipe. what are you going to smoke in it? Mac Baran, dunhill.....?
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 06:33:04 PM
Got this pipe the other day.

I think it's a Vilani or Vilano. Something like that :think:

It suits you Terry :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline stealth007s

Any pipe smokers here?
Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 06:36:06 PM
Thanks John :tu: I like it.

I might get a church warden next for the aromatic tobacco. I've been told and have read not to smoke both aromatic and non-aromatic in three same pipe. I like this one so far.

Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 01:32:34 PM
I would love to get a Churhwarden too. As for smoking aromatics and english blends in the some pipe, no you shound not. It will not hurt the pipe, but you will get ghost flavors from the bowl that you smoked ealier. It is a good idea to have a pipe for each type of tobak. One for English/Balkin, one for Virginia/Burley and one for Aromatics. And with aromatics you might want more than one because of the wide selection that out there. Cherry, Apple, Black Cavendish and so on.
But of coarse, pipe are like saks and multitools, the  more pipes you have, the better.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:38 PM
Went into the local smoke shop today.  I swear, I was just going in for a lottery ticket and a magazine....  :facepalm:

At 40% the marked price, I had to free this beauty from behind the glass.  It's a GBD.  Gonna start breaking it in shortly.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 08:31:27 PM
Very nice mate. :tu:

Here are my pipes, none get smoked much but I do enjoy one every-so-often.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 02:19:45 PM
Those are nice.
Nice pipe Jerseydevil.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 08:33:34 PM
'm getting my big porch back..time to find me a good sittin chair and a pipe.

:D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 08:39:11 PM
My latest, a churchwarden by KSI. I'm using this one for aromatics. Nice cool smoke :D

Sent from Endor via an Ewok

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56