Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Svea/Optima 123

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Svea/Optima 123
on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:12 AM
Reposting these pics to kick off the new forum!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Svea/Optima 123
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:01 AM
OMG all those skeleton keychain tools out there now are really knock off of the svea adjusting key!  :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:07:01 AM
Yeah, I imagine it predates just about all of them!  This design dates from the "late 19th century" according to Wikipedia, but I'm not certain what form the key took in the early days.

I'm going to do a video soon of me cooking someone with this little stove.  So far all I've cooked on it was water for re-hydrating a Mountain House meal.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:45 AM
Yeah, I imagine it predates just about all of them!  This design dates from the "late 19th century" according to Wikipedia, but I'm not certain what form the key took in the early days.

I'm going to do a video soon of me cooking someone with this little stove.  So far all I've cooked on it was water for re-hydrating a Mountain House meal.

Def

I love those... :drool:

Well those and Backpacker's Pantry.   They have an AWESOME chicken mole.  For backpacking and climbing trips (where weight is at a premium), those meals are so good, I find it hard to justify doing anything more than  heating water for one of them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:22 AM
I have tried a bunch of them and I love them.  I am looking for a wholesaler in Canada so I can buy them by the case but I can't seem to locate one. 

I found a wholesaler in the US but that was kind of pointless.  I pay about $8/each for them here and this place in the US had them listed for $6/each, but with shipping they became $11.50/each.  I can't afford to save that much money...  ::)

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:58 AM
They are good, just not enough. Even in a sedentary day I can eat a bag each meal and not feeling full, and each bag is suppose to be enough for two person. For any outdoor activity I can't afford to eat $20 worth each meal.  :-[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:21 AM
When I'm kayaking I like to eat light- the lighter the better.  I'd rather stick to a smaller meal that won't weigh me down than fill myself up.

Being in a kayak makes gurgly stomach issues even worse.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:59:16 AM
I suppose you can break it up into smaller meals, but in a day you'd still eat the same amount. Then again, I'm fatter than both you and Nate, so I need more food to haul my butt around. :D

I found another brand called go food, they are more like dehydrated than freeze dried. Testing the sample pack right now and see how they stack up.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:02:08 AM by jzmtl »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:41 PM
I've never tried the Mountain House meals, but I have been out hiking with someone who was using them.  I gotta say it didn't look like a massive amount of food to me, and my friend wouldn't let anyone else try any as 'there's not enough to go round'.  Well, that was his excuse for not sharing anyway. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:01 PM
Backpackers Pantry.

The dinners say, "Two servings" but really, I think that's just for calorie counting types.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:00 PM
Well the svea 123 has never failed me yet, I have used it on many back packing adventures, but
if you are looking for stealth, this is not the stove. it like a 747 flying over. killer stove new back packers trip out on it.

:drool:
CHEERS

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:08 PM
I know what you mean- I lit mine up on a recent 4x4 trip and everyone kind of stood back when it started roaring!  No one believed it was supposed to sound like that!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:15 AM
In case anyone missed it, here's my Svea/Optima 123 stove cooking us lunch at the side of the river yesterday:

Frank used my Light My Fire spork to eat his, Christine had her own utensils and I used my trusty CRKT Eat'n Tool. 

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20:53 AM
I'm glad you bumped this, that looks a decent bit of kit. Looks about the same size stove as my new one, but that runs on wood  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:46 PM
I still think that's a great looking stove mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:54 PM
Thanks- here's a couple more shots.  I'm warming it in my hands to get the gas moving in the first one:

I'm unpacking food and getting ready to cook here.  The grey bits and pieces are the pot that comes with it (was too small for what I needed so I'd brought another pot) and the aluminum carrying case it lives in.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:09 PM
How easy is it to fire up? Only petrol/white gas stove I've had was a Coleman, which was a chuff to get started, and when the primer pump packed up I was thankful that I could try another system. It was great when it was running, but I just couldn't rely on it to start when I needed it

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
I went through four or five matches to get it started. With more practice I could probably get that down to two or three maybe....  it's not the easiest thing to get going but once it reaches it's peak (you can tell by the roar that sounds like a jet) there's nothing that's going to put it out until you want it out.I have no doubt it'll happily run in a rain storm, snowstorm or near hurricane force winds.

Since we are at a high likelihood for a hurricane this year I might get the opportunity to test it and I'll let you know how it works out!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:39 PM
Yeah, mine was the same when it got going. To be honest if it wasn't such a bugger to fire up I'd have probably replaced it. I did get it second hand though, so there is a good chance I just never really got in tune with how to make it run effectively

I do like the look of sturdy stoves like those though, they really do inspire confidence they'll last the trip without falling apart on you. Very reassuring  ;)

Here's a review I found of that wood gas stove (I already posted it in another thread, but a repost won't hurt  :) )

Wild Stoves woodgas stove: inital review

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 12:28:51 AM
That looks pretty neat, but I think at this point if I was to by a wood stove it would be one of those fancy BioLite ones:

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

I like the idea of having a wood powered battery charger.  I used the My Tracks app on my phone during our kayak trip the other day and the battery was fully charged when we started (it was even plugged in on the way over) and when we finished it was at 5%.  Assuming I was out in the woods for a period of time and then needed help/rescue/pickup, my phone would be an invaluable tool- or completely useless if it was dead.  I could see a stove like that not only being functional for cooking, but also beneficial for keeping a phone (or light or other electrical doodad) going when you need it.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:50 AM
That looks pretty neat, but I think at this point if I was to by a wood stove it would be one of those fancy BioLite ones:

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

I like the idea of having a wood powered battery charger.  I used the My Tracks app on my phone during our kayak trip the other day and the battery was fully charged when we started (it was even plugged in on the way over) and when we finished it was at 5%.  Assuming I was out in the woods for a period of time and then needed help/rescue/pickup, my phone would be an invaluable tool- or completely useless if it was dead.  I could see a stove like that not only being functional for cooking, but also beneficial for keeping a phone (or light or other electrical doodad) going when you need it.

Def

That does look pretty neat, although it also looks like something I wouldn't want to lug around on my back for two weeks  ;) I think that could be a very good choice for touring or camping in a kayak though  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:25 AM
Yes well, when your left foot is held together with a steel plate and eight pins you don't do a lot of hiking if you can avoid it!   :whistle:

Def

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 07:52:46 PM
The trick to lighting the seva is to pure a little fuel at the bottom of the stem, you will see a indentation on the top of the tank, light it with the tank off then turn the key and you will see fuel come out the top, then light the fuel. Also another trick, fill the tank before you leave on your trip, after hiking for awhile or whatever you are doing the tank builds enough pressure to get the fuel to the top so you can light it. only one shot on that one.
CHEERS

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:45 PM
Yeah I've heard that. It's a bit of a pain to light but not that bad.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:35 PM
Probably easiest to carry a small squirt bottle with alcohol for preheating. It's what I do on my stoves, especially if I run kerosene instead of coleman fuel.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 12:36:51 AM
If I had a small squirt bottle with alcohol in it and I started trying to light something I'd have a little too much fun and be featured on the evening news.....

Def

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 02:36:45 AM
I dug this up because I've been obsessed with cooksets for the 123 lately  :P

-Sigg Tourist and its little brother the Optimus 88...both two pot sets.

-Optimus Terra with heat exchanger
svea_cooksets01.jpg
* svea_cooksets01.jpg (Filesize: 41.01 KB)
svea_cooksets02.jpg
* svea_cooksets02.jpg (Filesize: 44.35 KB)
svea_cooksets03.jpg
* svea_cooksets03.jpg (Filesize: 47.83 KB)

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 02:42:42 AM
-Snow Peak Trek Combo - the entire Svea with cup fits inside the 900ml pot. The box actually shows the Mini Solo Cookset fits inside the 900ml

-Snow Peak Mini Solo and a 750ml Ti Mug...both replacing the Svea cup.

-Coleman Max Cookset...without the smaller Coleman cup/pan/lid and the Svea cup.
svea_cooksets04.jpg
* svea_cooksets04.jpg (Filesize: 42.59 KB)
svea_cooksets05.jpg
* svea_cooksets05.jpg (Filesize: 49.62 KB)
svea_cooksets06.jpg
* svea_cooksets06.jpg (Filesize: 36.82 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:45:20 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:07 AM
Great looking cook set there mate :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:36 AM
The Snow Peak Trek set really appeals to me for some reason. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%