Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade NaviTool Taylor Brands LLC.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Schrade NaviTool Taylor Brands LLC.
on: March 30, 2012, 02:44:09 AM
As some of you may know, I am a big fan of the Schrade NaviTool. In fact, I have several. One or two are shelf queens, and one is a user for those times when I go into the forest. I just like its quirky capabilities.

I was taken aback to find out that my discontinued and beloved NaviTool has recently been reintroduced by Taylor Brands. I just had to buy one of these and compare it to the older model. This is not just curiosity on my part...but morbid curiosity. I know that the Taylor Brands LLC version is going to suck compared to the older Schrade USA.

Seeing that I just got a new NaviTool through my door, it is time to see what we can about the new NaviTool.

Well I quickly opened the box to find a what...a sheath?!?! Now that took me by surprise. Why include a sheath as the old NaviTool had a wonderful hard plastic spring loaded belt loop on the back. Hmmm...maybe the new NaviTool doesn't have one. Well only one way to find that out. I tried to get the new NaviTool out of the sheath to no avail. The tool was locked in there and wasn't budging. I took a closer look and realized the rubberized compass housing protrusions were fighting me hand, tooth, and nail. Armed with that knowledge, I valiantly struggled to get the tool out of the sheath and won the battle after too much effort was invested. Note to self, ditch the sheath if the tool has a built in belt loop. I flipped it over, and yes it does have one. Why include a sheath? Well, I closely examined that spring loaded plastic belt loop to find out that the spring wasn't all that strong. I guess I now know why the sheath was included.

Hefting the tool to get a first impression was tantamount to getting gob smacked on the side of the head. Bloody heck, this doesn't feel like the old NaviTool. It did look the part though...but after holding it, you can tell right away the difference between old and new. Mind you, how many people have an old one to make direct comparisons. I guess Taylor Brands is betting on that fact. I know I didn't like what I felt, and the more closely I looked, the less I liked.

Opening the tool only reinforced my first impression that this is a stinker quality wise. Even the inside frame is thinner than the old. You know true cost cutting has occurred when the frame is lighter.

There are some differences when one looks at the folding tools. For instance, the can opener on the Taylor version has most of its thickness shaved off. Note that step in the metal. I guess if you can save some metal from each tool made, at the end of the day, that can amount to some good savings. I have little to no confidence of the durability of this tool based on its thinness. A big hint at the quality is the locking mechanism. On the older tool, you depressed the other tools to unlock the opened tool. The newer version does the same, but more disjointed and less smooth.

Likewise, the scissors are not as comfortable as those found on the older version. The small bent shape has sharper corners. Not to mention the scissor action on the older version is far smoother.

How about the compass you may ask? Well, this is one woofer of a compass. The older version was liquid filled. The new version is dry. I like a liquid filled compass. I find them smoother and more accurate to use in general. The markings are identical to the older version.

Time to make some direct comparisons...

In the above photo, the older version is on the right, the newer Taylor version is on the left. Things to note, the whistle on the Schrade USA version comes from England and is a very good quality whistle. The Chinese copy on the left is not as good. Likewise, the older tool has better fit and quality all around. For example, the central Schrade Tough name plate is more than easily scratched paint found on the newer Taylor NaviTool.

The mirror on the older tool is of higher quality to the newer tool...which I am strongly suspecting is only some sort of cheap reflective Mylar/plastic that is glued there. Note also the liquid filled compass of the older version. Also note the difference in size of the rope that attached the compass to the body. The Taylor version screams cheap all around.

In the above photograph, you can see some of the changes in the folding tools. There are minor changes to all of the tools here. One thing that was consistent, the newer Taylor NaviTool has a polished finish to all of the tools. The older version preferred a more subdued look. One thing is clear however, the older version has the newer version beat in the quality department. The Phillips driver in the old tool is far superior to the newer . Note how the corkscrew is deployed crookedly in the newer version. The yellow is a lamp reflection in case you were wondering.

Looking at a side view, you can see how some things have changed. Note how crooked that corkscrew is when folded away in the Taylor version  on the bottom of the above photograph. Likewise, note how the older version has nice white dotes to help you screw off and on the compass. The newer version doesn't aid you in any way.

In the above photograph, you can clearly see the included belt loop. The newer version on the left has a very weak spring compared to the older right version. Note also that the cheaper quality permeates right down to the screws and fasteners.

Both features a compartment that is made for a BIC lighter that is not water proof. Sadly, the opening and closing feel of that lid is superior to the newer version.  The older version is on the right in this photograph.

Well what can I say. Taylor Brands LLC has struck again. They have managed to cheapen a once wonderful quality item, and drag the old Schrade name into the mud again. I am not a big fan of Taylor brands products, and crap like this only reinforces my distaste of their products. I can tell you that there is no chance that this one is going to replace my user.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:47:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Schrade NaviTool Taylor Brands LLC.
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:33 AM
I have been really keen to see the differences between the new & the old NaviTools , thanks Chako  :cheers: :cheers:.

I wish Taylor would just call their products 'Taylor's Turkey's' or 'Taylor's Turds' & just be honest about their attitude to product quality  >:( >:(. How many people buy Taylor's products because of the 'Quality' name they attach to their products   :rant: :rant:. It is very sad that Schrade's name is now attached to something that would never have left their factory  >:( >:(

Lets hope Taylor never buys out Leatherman  :ahhh :ahhh

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:04 AM
 :tu: chako

Is it significantly cheaper too?  ???
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:10:20 PM
That is the thing with Taylor Brands LLC. They rape a good name so that they can sell you a turd for a high profit margin.

When you have two identical products, one being from the old Schrade US, and the other being the Taylor Branded one, you can usually tell the difference in quality right away. Taylor Brands goes that extra mile to make it look like the original so they can sell it to you for a hoped up price.

I can go to one of the local dollar stores and buy a compass for a dollar. That one won't have any liquid filling in it either, and I dare say, it might still be of a higher quality to the one found in the Taylor brands version. In fact, my copy does point to north eventually. After much jiggling, tilting, and coaxing. The old just goes to north on its own and right quick at that. 

:facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:31 PM
Shame they have messed that up too... great comparison though Chako :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:46 PM
Amazing that they could take a piece of junk like the Navitool and make it worse! They have to have some serious engineering staff to manage that!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%