Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAK Whittling Club

Smaug · 696 · 72622

gb Offline Pattas29

Re: The SAK Whittling Club
Reply #240 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:48 PM
Has anyone ever whittled a wand? (Like of Harry Potter)

My 5 year old has just decided she loves Harry Potter and I was thinking of giving one a try.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #241 on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:26 PM

My 5 year old has just decided she loves Harry Potter and I was thinking of giving one a try.

The last time I tried, the wand accidentally spirited itself away, and my SAK with it.  :(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:34:11 PM by Ronald Schröder »

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #242 on: February 23, 2017, 09:55:52 AM
Then I guess you did it right  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #243 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:34 AM

Yes - my daughter whittled herself a Hermione Granger wand when she was little - it's beautiful and she still has it now at 19.

Just try and find one that is already nice and thin but strong and will fit her hand. Here's a pic of my daughters:
WP_20170223_022 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #244 on: February 26, 2017, 09:17:17 PM
I cobbled together a knife from parts and did the sharpened can opener and gouge mod on the can opener. Didn't get much of a curve on the gouge because there's just not enough thickness on the can opener.

My opinion is that it's not worth altering a good knife for. I did manage to carve a spoon bowl using mostly the gouge/cap lifter...didn't care for the sharpened can opener at all, although it did serve OK as a scraper to smooth out the bowl. Carving seasoned Poplar was pretty tedious...might be better using green wood.
sak_gouge02.jpg
* sak_gouge02.jpg (Filesize: 95.16 KB)
sak_gouge05.jpg
* sak_gouge05.jpg (Filesize: 87.44 KB)

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #245 on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:17 PM
A few days ago I whittled a spoon using my SAK Climber and an Opinel No.7, but just as I was detailing the handle it snapped in half in my hand  :rant:

Going to start again soon but trying to do it on the sly as a present for my girlfriend so finding time is difficult!

Also I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with whittling a wood whistle/recorder (as in an instrument with pitch/tone holes)?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:02 AM
A few days ago I whittled a spoon using my SAK Climber and an Opinel No.7, but just as I was detailing the handle it snapped in half in my hand  :rant:

Going to start again soon but trying to do it on the sly as a present for my girlfriend so finding time is difficult!

Also I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with whittling a wood whistle/recorder (as in an instrument with pitch/tone holes)?

Armchair "expert" comment here(I have no carving experience or musical instrument making abilities), but something with pitch holes would be an ambitious undertaking to get anything to sound right. You also need a hollow tube all the way through. A fixed pitch whistle "should" be an easier undertaking

Reply #247 on: April 24, 2017, 10:13:05 AM

Armchair "expert" comment here(I have no carving experience or musical instrument making abilities), but something with pitch holes would be an ambitious undertaking to get anything to sound right. You also need a hollow tube all the way through. A fixed pitch whistle "should" be an easier undertaking

Yes, I think the whistle might be a more sensible place to start :)

I made good progress with a spoon recently, until my mind wandered a little (after a couple of hours of work) and it snapped in half  :( oh well, at least it was good practice.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:52 PM
Hopefully the next one goes well and your girlfriend appreciates the thought and work that went into making it  :tu:

00 Offline NumberThree

• New User
Reply #249 on: April 25, 2017, 02:20:11 AM
I don't know if this counts as whittling per se, but it did include a lot of whittling and was done exclusively with my Vic farmer: https://www.youtube.com/embed/z0G7ok4FJjw

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #250 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:43 AM
I don't know if this counts as whittling per se, but it did include a lot of whittling and was done exclusively with my Vic farmer: https://www.youtube.com/embed/z0G7ok4FJjw
Fantastic! Love it.  :cheers:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #251 on: April 25, 2017, 11:20:28 AM
I don't know if this counts as whittling per se, but it did include a lot of whittling and was done exclusively with my Vic farmer: http://www.youtube.com/embed/z0G7ok4FJjw

Wonderful!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #252 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:03 PM
Had a piece of scrap wood and a spare 10min

They'd probably put this one on the clearance rack.  :D
WP_20170618_10_40_10_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170618_10_40_10_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 276.59 KB)
WP_20170618_10_43_35_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170618_10_43_35_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 345.89 KB)
WP_20170618_10_53_35_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170618_10_53_35_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 240.76 KB)
WP_20170618_10_53_40_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170618_10_53_40_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 236.26 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #253 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:24 PM

Me too!  This wand was carved from a magical component of an ancient shaggy juniper (i.e., dead tree limb) by a small in stature Master Craftsman (not me, I just provide the power).  The absolutely necessary smooth surface was handled by the SAK files (subdivision of the X-files).  The small nub on the side collects the Force from all over the universe and re-channels it to the wand.

Eat your heart out H & H (Hermione and Harry)...... :rofl:          :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 325.39 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #254 on: June 18, 2017, 10:40:14 PM
Went ahead and made another one, I think they will be better rhythm sticks. :whistle:
WP_20170618_13_37_17_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170618_13_37_17_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 295.29 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #255 on: June 19, 2017, 11:07:55 AM

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #256 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM

Now that's what I call music!

Yes - my daughter whittled herself a Hermione Granger wand when she was little - it's beautiful and she still has it now at 19.

Just try and find one that is already nice and thin but strong and will fit her hand. Here's a pic of my daughters:

Me too!  This wand was carved from a magical component of an ancient shaggy juniper (i.e., dead tree limb) by a small in stature Master Craftsman (not me, I just provide the power).  The absolutely necessary smooth surface was handled by the SAK files (subdivision of the X-files).  The small nub on the side collects the Force from all over the universe and re-channels it to the wand.

Eat your heart out H & H (Hermione and Harry)...... :rofl:          :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Both of y'all's look MUCH more legit.  :cheers: :salute:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:32:58 PM by El Corkscrew »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #257 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:37 PM
I have several books on whittling and carving, some 3D resin examples to copy from, plus some flexcut carving tools (palm tools). I never had the time to play around with it before, and now any attempts to use them would be foolish due to neck issues. I'll try to get them photographed and listed on the trade forums in the next couple of days. Maybe someone here can get more use from them  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #258 on: June 20, 2017, 03:40:11 PM
With Magentus' very generous gift of a Mora crook knife, I'm looking to start carving a decorative/lovespoon for my girlfriend. I want it to be a surprise so finding the time/location to do so has so far proved very difficult, but I think I have some time tonight so I'll hopefully be making a start.

A question:

Any tips for a first-time spoon carver? I've found a variety of tips online but wondered what the hive mind of MTO could suggest!

I'm using a basswood blank, seems to be the best I've found for easy carving. I'm just planning on using the crook knife, various SAKs and Opinel No. 7.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #259 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:14 AM
With Magentus' very generous gift of a Mora crook knife, I'm looking to start carving a decorative/lovespoon for my girlfriend. I want it to be a surprise so finding the time/location to do so has so far proved very difficult, but I think I have some time tonight so I'll hopefully be making a start.

A question:

Any tips for a first-time spoon carver? I've found a variety of tips online but wondered what the hive mind of MTO could suggest!

I'm using a basswood blank, seems to be the best I've found for easy carving. I'm just planning on using the crook knife, various SAKs and Opinel No. 7.

Keep your blade sharp, your thumb out of harms way and have fun, show us the results  :tu:

Reply #260 on: June 21, 2017, 10:17:21 AM
Keep your blade sharp, your thumb out of harms way and have fun, show us the results  :tu:

Solid advice! I'll make sure to show my progress here. I made a start last night - put together a design for the spoon, traced onto the wood and started to carve, but by that time it was quite late. Carrying on with it tonight!

Reply #261 on: June 21, 2017, 04:52:46 PM
Few more questions:

anyone had any luck with staining basswood? I've read various reports online that vary wildly in terms of useful advice. I'm guessing it would be something like sand the project over completely until smooth, then seal, then stain. I'm guessing off-the-shelf DIY shop sealant and stain would work ok?

Thanks!

Reply #262 on: July 26, 2017, 03:20:54 PM
So I finally finished the lovespoon I was carving as a surprise gift to my girlfriend. I gave it to her on Monday just before asking her to marry me!

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. The engraving was part by design and part by necessity, but it came out as good as I could have hoped.

Also my first time carving a spoon!

(She said yes, btw!)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #263 on: July 26, 2017, 03:27:37 PM
Beautiful Rob, congratulations on such a great first spoon, and massive CONGRATS on your engagement!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :like: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #264 on: July 26, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
So I finally finished the lovespoon I was carving as a surprise gift to my girlfriend. I gave it to her on Monday just before asking her to marry me!

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. The engraving was part by design and part by necessity, but it came out as good as I could have hoped.

(Image removed from quote.)

(She said yes, btw!)
Congratulations!   :like: the spoon
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: July 26, 2017, 06:19:44 PM

(She said yes, btw!)

Great work on carving a spoon and Congratulations!  :hatsoff:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #267 on: July 26, 2017, 08:35:31 PM

(She said yes, btw!)

Great work on carving a spoon and Congratulations!  :hatsoff:

+1   :cheers:

ca Offline JP

Reply #268 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:08 PM

(She said yes, btw!)

Congratulations!! That is a nice spoon. Your first one at that.  :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #269 on: July 27, 2017, 12:09:53 AM

(She said yes, btw!)

And they lived happily ever after.  :)

Congrats  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86