Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show Us your first aid kits!

Santos · 25 · 4399

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Show Us your first aid kits!
on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:47 AM
This is my old kit i made up for my suzuki 4wd.

Recently i went into a local Aldi as their brochure had a $3 folding shovel. Yes.$3 Full size quite sturdy shovel. So i bought 5 of them and still saved $5 on what the auto shop wanted for 1. i dont even need them. What i saw in store though was a $16 'camping first aid kit'  which had a space blanket and trauma shears amongst the woeful amount of bandage strips, compression bandages and sanitary wipes.
An empty hardcase like that at a specialty camp store is  $20+. So i bought two.

Externally its not much bigger than my old kit. The one on the right has all the contents of my old first kit plus all the new items. This was made possible as i have a PhD in Tetris

pictured with my little pocket guide which is unfortunately to wide to fit in the box. Will look into getting a cheap clear document drybag for it to attach to the box by paracord fob.

In case you were wondering it also floats.

Which is handy should i ever want to take my Suzuki sierra the same places these people have

“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Show Us your first aid kits!
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:42 PM
Mine is not as grand as that, as it's intended only for carry in my EDC bag, and not anything other than a casual hike.

I use a MaxPed EDC Micro.

The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:58 PM
thats pretty sweet actually.. my pocket/airtravel first aid kit is a little depleted at the moment. Should revist it. What are the two items in the top left corner? (and is that 2 types of tweezers?)
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:20 PM
thats pretty sweet actually.. my pocket/airtravel first aid kit is a little depleted at the moment. Should revist it. What are the two items in the top left corner? (and is that 2 types of tweezers?)
The blue one is a Benadryl 'readymist'; it's a little spray on applicator for topical use, things like insect bites, rashes, etc.  The other is Neosporin.  And yep, two pairs of tweezers.  One is a standard needle jaw and the other is a broadhead angle jaw.  I also have a small SAK on order to put in as well, a Wenger EvoGrip 81 for the blade and scissors.  I usually carry a small SAK on me, but it never hurts to have a backup. 

My selection of band-aids are mostly regular ones, but I have a few finger tip and knuckle ones as well, a package of antiseptic wipes, and a few small gauze pads for blotting.  It's basically designed for small cuts and scrapes, slivers, that sort of thing.  Mostly for my kids really... I still need to get some Elmo or Dora band-aids to put in it for my daughter.   :angel:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:34:36 PM
Great thread! I love first aid kits. Sad, I know.

Here's my EDC FAK:

And my home kit is this one which I wholeheartedly recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-John-Ambulance-Statutory-20-Person/dp/B003KK693Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334867490&sr=8-1 You can read my review of it on amazon (H Yeend).
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:24 AM
The other is Neosporin.

I went looking for a small tube of neosporin a few weeks back and couldn't find one that'd fit in my first aid kit. After I saw this, I went out and got one. Thanks.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:07 AM
Great thread! I love first aid kits. Sad, I know.

Here's my EDC FAK:
b

Hey actually liked that video, never thought of sticking my details like name/age/blood type inside my pocket FAK. Mine is pased around a transparent orange plastic snack box so its very obvious whats in it but i might go the exra effort and gets some green electric tape for crosses on my waterproof FAK.

For your EDC FAK can i suggest
- Some saline eye drops, i have two 'one use' tubes in mine. Non-alcohol sanitary wipes are handy.
- Replace the plastic strips with adhesive fabric ones
-A really small lighter is also good to run a flame over needles/blades as a last ditch sterilising method but more importantly start a fire to ward off hypothermia .
-A good real Tweezers. Sak tweezers don't compare
- stomach medicine. you might be able to tough out a migraine but not relieving/reducing tummy ailments on the way to help if you have the real estate in the tin is plain silly
-water purification tablets, most of us take it for granted we can get clean tap water,
hydration is very important in a number of instances like heatstroke, vomitting etc
- Lastly a alox victorinox classic or a cellidor one with its scales removed to reduce space.
keep the implements razor sharp and don't use them casually (i imagine you edc another sak for mundane tasks)

I laughed at the constant throwing of the tin at the ground at the end of the video.  If you are going to have the rubber band around it anyway get a second one and strap the gloves rolled up to the outside along the edge of the opening side. This will clear up internal space and it will remind you to put the things on before anything else.

I should revisit my pocket FAK and EDC it locally rather than just when i'm away.
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline user24

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30:33 AM
Hey actually liked that video

Cheers  :cheers:

Why do you recommend fabric plasters?

I'm still in two minds about the gloves. They take up a huge amount of space and my St John cadet training was done before gloves were routinely used for first aid. But people have told me they're important so I'm carrying them.

I've taken the gloves out of their package (it wasn't sterile anyway) and put them into a ziplock style bag instead, which has shaved a few microns off the thickness, and allowed me to fit my alox classic into the kit as well (I had to throw the kit several times to make sure it was OK, you'll be pleased to know :D )

I've also bought a green ranger band in amongst another order, so I'll be swapping the orange one soon. The orange one can go on a fire kit :)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:17 PM
I found out how poor my first aid supplies are when my 14 year old broke both bones in his forearm this weekend.  I guess one cannot be prepared for everything, but with kids around it would not hurt to have the ability to immobilize an arm that bends where its not supposed to.  Just something to consider.

gb Offline user24

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:04 PM
ooh, that's gonna sting a bit.

I really think everyone should learn first aid. Just, everyone.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:13 PM
Why do you recommend fabric plasters?

I'm still in two minds about the gloves. They take up a huge amount of space and my St John cadet training was done before gloves were routinely used for first aid. But people have told me they're important so I'm carrying them.

fabric ones in my experience are much more robust (particularly on joints). i think its the fact they are breathable, plastic ones tend to roll up or come off once you break a sweat. Band-aid brand make one which is synthetic cover as a second skin which is supose to last days and is waterproof. i was skeptical but i have to say i was successful with one using it in a deep cut and even went rock climbing three days after the cut.

In regards to the gloves i feel the same way about face-shields. In the rare event (hasn't happened in to me in 20yrs of first aid experience) i have to resuscitate a stranger covered in vomit i'm confident that i'll will be able to push past any notion of nausia and get on with it. If its a case of blood etc i will just improvise the best i can with whatevers is on hand (plastic bag, zpilock bag etc)

The gloves themselves is a better investment as you are far more likely come across bodily fluids with STD/general contagious virus/diseases etc acting as a good samaritan patching up some random face at that eventful occasion. It doesn't have to be life threating stuff like hiv or aids. You will probably never use it on yourself or family member. i keep two sets in my car FAK. Mostly they get used for non-First aid purpose.
Incidently when did you do your first aid training.. i started out in a St johns ambulance equivalent of scouts when i was 9 or 10 in the early 90's. Even then they where big on gloves.

Powernoodle, did you splint that baby up or did he just go loose to the hospital?
(i've notice that its not so common to see triangle bandages anymore)
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline user24

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 06:18:24 PM
fabric ones in my experience are much more robust (particularly on joints). i think its the fact they are breathable, plastic ones tend to roll up or come off once you break a sweat. Band-aid brand make one which is synthetic cover as a second skin which is supose to last days and is waterproof.
I think you'd be surprised at how good the St John brand plastic ones are.

when did you do your first aid training.. i started out in a St johns ambulance equivalent of scouts when i was 9 or 10 in the early 90's. Even then they where big on gloves.
This would have been about the same time, I left in about '96 after 8 years as a cadet. (I was a badger before that too  :salute: ) I'm certain I never had gloves in my issued kit, and we never practised with gloves on. Maybe just regional differences in the approach  :think:

(i've notice that its not so common to see triangle bandages anymore)
Is that a change in first aid advice, or just an observation? I thought triangulars were still the go-to method of dealing with breaks?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:20:01 PM by user24 »

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:49:29 AM
Hey Santos, thanks for the suggestions you make above.  I just stuck a small butane lighter I had laying around into my EDC FAK.  I also agree on the fabric bandages vs the plastic ones; much more robust.  Your suggestions also reminded me that something that's a nice addition to a small FAK is a bit of duct tape rolled up on a pencil or something, as it works great in a pinch for blisters, and I've even heard that it can be used as an emergency tourniquet if you have a long enough piece of it, though I'm not sure about that. 

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:07 AM
wrap the duct tape around the lighter.
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 03:41:59 PM
Thread necro!!!!!!!!

I finally got our farm trauma kit out for pix and couldn't remember where we discussed those kits....so hence the thread resurrection.

Anything can happen on a farm and my elderly Mom is on a big time blood thinner.  So, being 15 miles from the Hosp and a good 20-25 min before the EMT's can get here, a kit like this is crucial.. This is for major injuries, we also have a big first aid kit with band aids, gauze, elastic wrap, alcohol wipes etc. 

trauma kit.JPG
* trauma kit.JPG (Filesize: 125.59 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 02:01:58 AM
Obi First Aid Kit  :cheers:
FIRST AID KIT.jpg
* FIRST AID KIT.jpg (Filesize: 59.67 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 03:27:01 PM
Thread necro!!!!!!!!

I finally got our farm trauma kit out for pix and couldn't remember where we discussed those kits....so hence the thread resurrection.

Anything can happen on a farm and my elderly Mom is on a big time blood thinner.  So, being 15 miles from the Hosp and a good 20-25 min before the EMT's can get here, a kit like this is crucial.. This is for major injuries, we also have a big first aid kit with band aids, gauze, elastic wrap, alcohol wipes etc.

Great thread to bring back :cheers: I have gotten a few ideas already from this thread :tu:

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 03:35:52 PM
Thread necro!!!!!!!!

While I'm not a big proponent of clotting agents in daily use, this is a perfect example of when they are SUPER appropriate! I pray you never have to find out how they work.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 07:37:15 PM
Wow is this thread old,, I've posted this before, but here's my little one that I made even smaller, put it all into a little tin, I have others but this is it for now..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 07:13:15 PM
i just picked up one of these for when i find myself hiking in the middle of nowhere

added some extra blister plasters, any other suggestions? i was thinking a small torch.

General
1 x Primary Care Leaflet
1 x Tweezers
1 x Scissors (5.5cm Blade)
6 x Safety Pins
Medication
16 x Paracetamol Tablets
Bandages
1 x White Open Woven bandage 7.5cm x 5m
1 x Crepe Bandage 5cm x 4.5m
Preparations, Disposables & Tapes
5 x 4-Ply Gauze Swabs 5 x 5cm
1 x Micropore Tape 1.25cm x 5m
4 x Hygienic Cleansing Wipes
2 Pairs Vinyl Gloves
Dressings
1 x Low Adherent Dressing 5 x 5cm
1 x Pack of Assorted Plasters
2 x Blister Plasters
I

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 07:20:30 PM
Thread necro!!!!!!!!

While I'm not a big proponent of clotting agents in daily use, this is a perfect example of when they are SUPER appropriate! I pray you never have to find out how they work.

Thanks bud!!!! I worry a little less now this kit is together.  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 06:04:58 AM
First Aid Kit, and my compact one for hiking.

FAK.jpg
* FAK.jpg (Filesize: 72.44 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 08:18:29 AM
First Aid Kit, and my compact one for hiking.

I hope you at least cauterize the stump with fire!
 :pok:   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 07:52:20 PM
I fear I'm a chronic first-aid giver by now. My daily way to work is about 100 km, with about 40 km of "Autobahn". So I have plenty of opportunities to help in various smaller and bigger accidents :-[

I don't like my ordinary car-accident-kit (which is obligatory in Germany, with a standardized amount of things in it).
Quite useful, but to be transported in the boot of the car, and imho too unhandy to use in an accident.

I found a swiss paramedic bag a couple of months ago.
A nice thing, good leather and a nice opening function, but not really good as an every day carry bag, so it landed in my huge collection of swiss military bags.

So why not combine the wish for a better kit and a new use for the old paramedic bag?

What came out is this, which will sit under the passenger seat of my car in the future.
Not pictured are the bottle of water, the heavy leather gloves, the signal vest, a set of safety glasses, a crowbar, a small fire-extinguisher and, in winter, a snowshovel, which complete my kit.

Various things you might spot:
    - A magnetic blinky-thingy signal light. Comes incredibly handy at dangerous crash sights.
    - Fenix HL 50. I never liked headlamps until I got one. Great value!
    - Some paracord and a velcro sling. Some things just need attaching
    - A Vic/Wenger equivalent to the Nomad. Ex-EDC, newly occupied in the kit
    - One of these great old screwdrivers. Just for the feel of it ;-)
    - Short cut-it-all scissors. Takes clothing, safety-belts and metal
    - Scalpel blade. Never needed that one, but who knows?
    - Japanese sharpie. Sometimes it was really good to be able to scribble down important info
    - Facemask for mouth-to-mouth. Nice to have, safe to apply
    - Disinfection wipes. Always longed for these in the aftermath. For me ;-)
    - Band-aid and various dressing patches. Never needed more than two of each. If so, I'll find some in my car
    - 2 meters of duct tape. Just because
    - Gloves - the blue nitrile-ones for me (much more durable than the white ones), an ordinary pair for another helper
    - A gold-and-silver blanket. I had underestimated how useful they come with a person in shock. Never leave this one out!

Thank you for watching and keep your fingers crossed - Let's hope this kit won't see too much action.

Tomcat

closed.jpg
* closed.jpg (Filesize: 218.38 KB)
open.jpg
* open.jpg (Filesize: 223.79 KB)
content.jpg
* content.jpg (Filesize: 304.51 KB)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:42:38 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 08:33:10 PM
This is my home kit mounted to my washroom wall.

I have added a mouth guard for CPR, even though this first aid kit is fairly comprehensive.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69