Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY camping hammock

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
DIY camping hammock
on: May 05, 2012, 03:55:19 AM
So in light of my new found obsession lol I am making a camping, at home hammock. I have already bought the materials and one similar to the one I'm making sells for $200. I only spent $25 on materials.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Sazabi

Re: DIY camping hammock
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:44 AM
I'd be interesting in some pictures once you have it finished. :tu:

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 04:12:01 AM
Pics are a must here.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:20:12 AM
Are you doing a roper style or fabric?  I remember watching the hows its made for hammocks on tv, and thats crazy amount of rope work for the rope style.

How It's Made-Hammocks

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:50 PM
Did you see the first Mythbusters of the season this year?  They did a Dave and Cody with Duck Tape episode... survived for a week on an island with nothing else available but a palette of duck tape!  They made shelters and hammocks with it too!  It was a very cool episode!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:29 PM
It's the same kind as you would buy in a camping store. It's 100% nylon. I am making it with paracord as the attachment points connected to large heavy weight steel rings. It will also have bug netting to keep out the nasties. I might make more depending on how this one performs and sell a few. No sense in paying $200 plus for something that should cost $80 or less.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

DIY camping hammock
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:31:19 PM
It's the same kind as you would buy in a camping store. It's 100% nylon. I am making it with paracord as the attachment points connected to large heavy weight steel rings. It will also have bug netting to keep out the nasties. I might make more depending on how this one performs and sell a few. No sense in paying $200 plus for something that should cost $80 or less.

From one hanger to another, you should reconsider your use of paracord. It is way too stretchy, and it isn't nearly strong enough. You should be using a rope or strap with ~1000lb breaking point. Not ~550lb. There is some complicated (to me) trigonometry that will prove that unless you weigh 100lbs there is no safety margin with paracord.

I personally prefer whoopie slings ( from www.whoopieslings.com ) for all my hammocks, purchased and DIY. You could also find 1" polyester strap that is rated for mountaineering that has the correct load rating. Just don't use nylon as it is very stretchy. And stretchy suspension sucks. I hate waking up on the ground... :)

HTH,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:41:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing your project come together :tu:

I always think it's worth trying to make stuff yourself if you are able.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:28:24 PM

From one hanger to another, you should reconsider your use of paracord. It is way too stretchy, and it isn't nearly strong enough. You should be using a rope or strap with ~1000lb breaking point. Not ~550lb. There is some complicated (to me) trigonometry that will prove that unless you weigh 100lbs there is no safety margin with paracord.

I personally prefer whoopie slings ( from www.whoopieslings.com ) for all my hammocks, purchased and DIY. You could also find 1" polyester strap that is rated for mountaineering that has the correct load rating. Just don't use nylon as it is very stretchy. And stretchy suspension sucks. I hate waking up on the ground... :)

HTH,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2
Thanks for the info. Paracord does stretch quite a bit and yeah I don't want to be on the ground. So what would be a good lightweight alternative?

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
DIY camping hammock
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 04:40:34 PM
Cool site there, I'm going to try my hand at this as well. What else are you using for reference Steve or maybe your just winging it?

Stay multi my friends

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:55:09 PM
:whistle:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:36:10 PM
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

This one and this guy even recommends spectra cord so I guess thats what it will be.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

DIY camping hammock
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:22:40 AM
Thanks for the info. Paracord does stretch quite a bit and yeah I don't want to be on the ground. So what would be a good lightweight alternative?
[/quote]

The general consensus is Amsteel Blue (which is available in a few colors). Like I said, I just buy whoopie slings and adjustable ridge lines from www.whoopieslings.com If I didn't care about color, I'd buy a spool and make them myself. There are lots of videos on YouTube and articles elsewhere. But since I'm somewhat vain and prefer matching or contrasting colors, I buy them.

Dave

Sent from my iPad2

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:33 AM
Ok finished my seam work and have it bunched up nice. Now time to get/make  the ends, bug tent, and rain fly.

Offline b.macavoy

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:47 AM
A vain whoopieslinger!  :rofl:
Gotta love that, cause I would have matching or contrasting too.
Just for effect.
 :D

Beth

:ahhh

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:04 AM
Whoopieslings on the way.

us Offline tattoosteve99

DIY camping hammock
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:56 AM
Well just for the heck of I tested it. Took some sturdy rope and tied to a couple trees. I almost fell asleep in it, it was that comfy.

Next is the insect net and the the slings and rain fly. I love it already.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

DIY camping hammock
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:58 AM
Well done!

Sent from my iPad2

Offline roscoeba

DIY camping hammock
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
I tried my hand at making my own whoopsie sling with amsteel blue. The first one was a cinch. The 2nd one was a pain in the butt! I did get it done but questioned whether I messed up any strands inside. Was going to make a how-to vid on it but maybe not after my less-than-successful attempt. I must say though, I felt like a champ when that 1st one was made. It's worth the experience to DIY a whoopie. Hammockforums is super web resource for hangers. Congrats on your DIY hammock project.
R

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 08:23:14 AM
So in light of my new found obsession lol I am making a camping, at home hammock. I have already bought the materials and one similar to the one I'm making sells for $200. I only spent $25 on materials.
Let's go back.

Any update?

Is roughly 3 years enough of a time trial? Lolololol

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 05:45:02 PM
We like hammocks.

We have several.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%