Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lending your knife/MT to people.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Lending your knife/MT to people.
on: April 18, 2015, 12:25:37 AM
Not sure if we have this thread here, but what the heck.

I would love to hear how everyone feels about lending your knife or MT to people. I personally never do it anymore. I have had a few things happen that are minor, but deter me from lending knives again. One simple thing that bugs the crap out of me is when a friend says "can I see your knife" and I hand it to him. I do not know why, but the first thing EVERYONE does is flick it open and run their fingers down the blade. Then proceed to get oily finger prints all over the blade. Next usually consist of trying to figure out how to close it and them trying to force the blade closed.  :bnghd: Then I get a "Oh that's cool", you should see my (X) that I got from Big5 after they hand me back a $400 knife. I'm not trying to sound like a knife snob, but damn!
   Anyways, nothing really bad happens, but I have heard so many horror stories its insane. Things like people lending their Benchmade Griptilian out and looking over to see someone using their knife to cut something on the cement.  :ahhh I read a story on BF where a guy lent his Grandpa a knife to use. His Grandpa returned and said "your knife was to sharp to use so I dulled it on the garage floor."  :o WTF does that even mean! So lets hear if you lend your knives to people and if you have and horror stories.
I'm the milk man!

Offline zimchaz

Re: Lending your knife/MT to people.
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:42 AM
Hate lending knives to people...especially the ungrateful 'why do you carry that' types so I usually opt to say no these days. I have had the same scenario with people not being able to close the knife and just trying to force it closed.
Worst situation was when I was a lot younger, a guy asked to look at an old crkt I used to have, and then proceeded to tell me that 'you could do some serious damage with this' before waving it around and frantically  slashing at a brick wall...yes he actually tried to cut through bricks with my knife...The edge was totalled in seconds before I could get him to stop...now I don't let anyone use my knife unless it's the beater I keep in my belt rig in the field.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:49:05 AM
Hate lending knives to people...especially the ungrateful 'why do you carry that' types so I usually opt to say no these days. I have had the same scenario with people not being able to close the knife and just trying to force it closed.
Worst situation was when I was a lot younger, a guy asked to look at an old crkt I used to have, and then proceeded to tell me that 'you could do some serious damage with this' before waving it around and frantically  slashing at a brick wall...yes he actually tried to cut through bricks with my knife...The edge was totalled in seconds before I could get him to stop...now I don't let anyone use my knife unless it's the beater I keep in my belt rig in the field.

Its funny how people (I have not experienced this) tell you your ridiculous for carrying a knife, then a few days later ask you if they can use your knife to cut something.  :facepalm: I forgot to mention this in the original post, but I have lent a knife to someone and they start fooling with it and cut themselves almost immediately.

Pertaining to the guy who used your knife to attack a brick wall. You should of told him you hope he likes that knife because its his now and he is buying you a new one.  :poh:
I'm the milk man!

Offline zimchaz

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:09 AM

Its funny how people (I have not experienced this) tell you your ridiculous for carrying a knife, then a few days later ask you if they can use your knife to cut something.  :facepalm: I forgot to mention this in the original post, but I have lent a knife to someone and they start fooling with it and cut themselves almost immediately.
Yeah, had a bloke calling me a geek for having a leatherman on my belt while in camp and not only when deployed, and less than a week later asking to use it for something urgent...He had to keep looking.

I also have offered a number of times to sharpen blades for people when I see their 2 year old abused leatherman with the factory edge still on it. Usually just get  asked if it's possible to sharpen a leatherman...I mean it's not a kitchen knife right...

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:51:19 AM
I generally don't loan knives, tools or anything out any more. This is sort of off topic but still worth a mention, a few years ago I loaned my PlayStation3 to a good friend while I was out of town for a few weeks, he let his stepson play with it unsupervised and the little smurf scratched up most of the games and trashed one of the controllers, my so called friend denied everything and said it must have already been like that, took no responsibility for it, that was the start of the end of our friendship. Beware people, There are some real loosers out there!
darren

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:00:54 AM
Was out on a 5 day hike with a bunch of about 10 scouts. They needed a knife for lunch, and I unfortunately lent mine as no-one else volunteered one.
After dropping it totally in the Peanut Butter, then smearing it completely with Grape Jelly, I understood why. It was a relatively benign learning process, but it still took ages to get the crud out of the SAK with a twig and a stream.
I no longer lend.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 02:06:55 AM
Nope I never do it anymore.  I'd rather take on the task than hand over my tools.  I'd be quick to say "Hey smurfhole that's not a toy" if I saw someone doing something stupid with my tools. 

I also hate to see people wipe their fingers across blades even in videos.  It always seems to be the case though. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 02:25:50 AM
The list of people who can borrow my toothbrush is longer than the list of people who can borrow my knives.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 02:26:11 AM
Lending knives or MTs is just like lending money. Only lend if you would be OK with never getting it back from the person you are lending it to.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 02:58:36 AM
Doesn't bother me at all.  Mine are all just tools.  I don't like seeing anyone mishandle a tool, but I recognize not all people have "mechanical" skills.  Some are just plain stupid.  Either way, they are to be used. 
Of course, if a fella decided to attack a brick wall with one of my tools that he just borrowed.  That might earn him a pop on the jaw. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 04:04:19 AM
I don't lend anything I value to anyone unless I trust them 100% to look after it. 

I have one good friend who I would permit to borrow any of my tools no questions asked, anyone else I'm likely to use the tool/knife myself to do whatever needs doing (or give them a "beater" that I simply don't care about).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 05:31:05 AM

Yeah, if some fool started doing something like that with one of my MTs/SAKs (especially a custom), I would probably have to spear him to the ground, pick him up, and powerbomb him for good measure :viking: 

However, nobody other than my wife ever asks to use something, and in most cases I will just perform the task myself. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 06:36:35 AM

Yeah, if some fool started doing something like that with one of my MTs/SAKs (especially a custom), I would probably have to spear him to the ground, pick him up, and powerbomb him for good measure :viking: 

However, nobody other than my wife ever asks to use something, and in most cases I will just perform the task myself.

No jackhammer ? :rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 07:04:06 AM

No jackhammer ? :rofl:

Yeah, that would be the expected follow up to the spear, but I'm more of a powerbomb fan myself :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:34 AM
I would lend my ReBlaster . If you can pay the parts  :rofl:

Offline zimchaz

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:09 AM

Lol yeah I would have liked to do just that but he had my knife in his hand and was waving it like a lunatic...haven't seen him in about 5 years but when I do....https://youtu.be/4qNKBjDwIVI

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:02:54 AM
I get asked a lot at work but I don't lend ,I do the cutting or whatever needs doing .
When I've let someone use one of my knifes in the past it usually ends up with there blood on it as a result of stupidity or not knowing how to use it.
Then they usually say bloody hell that's sharp! As though there blaming me .
Weasel

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:14 PM
I have never lent one of my tools to anyone. I am funny that way.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline zimchaz

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I would lend a tool to almost anyone on this forum...and get it back sharper, shinier and smoother than when I gave it to them lol.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 02:34:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I would lend a tool to almost anyone on this forum...and get it back sharper, shinier and smoother than when I gave it to them lol.
Ha, very true :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 02:52:22 PM
The list of people who can borrow my toothbrush is longer than the list of people who can borrow my knives.

:D

Pretty much my view as well. I usually try and avoid letting people know I always have a knife and/or MT available.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 04:25:12 PM
I never lend my knife or multitool to anyone (not anymore ...), I will ask why they need it and then decide if I will use my knife/multitool to do the job myself. 

If the person who's asking to use my knife/multitool made fun of my knife/multitool in the past, he or she will get one of these ...

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 05:09:34 PM
I usually don't mind too much :) I do ask first what they need it for, and determine if they're right asking for it :P (or point them in another direction if they actually need something else)

For people wanting to look at them, I'd add a "careful, that's sharp", then laugh at them trying to close them, or cut themselves  >:D  then react:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMk5GWvlks
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 05:22:45 PM
I basically bought and gave Classics or SRM 710s (and various more expensive knives/SAKs) to all the people that could potentially ask me for a knife (I do not go around telling everybody I have a knife).

So, if they ask me I just tell them to use the one I gave them (if they have lost it then they have to make do)
They know that I will not be happy if they lose their knife....

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 06:53:43 PM
Nope, never happens, done it in the past and either got back destroyed blades/tools or not got them back at all.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Grathr

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 07:43:23 PM
Most people dont know I have a knife.
Those who do, I usually only lend a cheapo if they ask. Only exeptions are the few I know who knows how to use a knife.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%