Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog pocket power pliers owners club,

Zed · 170 · 33906

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
on: May 24, 2012, 03:45:34 PM
Well i had to start one didnt i  ::)  :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Sog pocket power pliers owners club,
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:59 PM
Well i had to start one didnt i   ::)  :D

I wouldn't expect anything else from you Paul..  :hatsoff: :D

I'm in btw..  8)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:18 PM
Well i had to start one didnt i   ::)  :D

I wouldn't expect anything else from you Paul..  :hatsoff: :D

I'm in btw..  8)

(Image removed from quote.)

you know me too well mate, i love a good club  ;)
I love that pic allan and actualy have it as my wallpaper my wife looked at it the other day and did the rolling eyes  ::)   :D  can you still get the stanley version  :think:   :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:06:36 PM
come on guys i know you like a good club  ;)  cant just be me and Allan, although i think Allan has sniped all the sogs supply  :rofl:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:57:20 PM
Given that I've given one away to a mate at work,and still have 3,I'd have to say I'M IN!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:41:48 AM
Given that I've given one away to a mate at work,and still have 3,I'd have to say I'M IN!

you need a fancy pic Kirk  ;)   :pok:  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:27:44 AM
I've tried Zed,but the camera keeps breaking :cry: :cry: :cry:

:oops:You mean the SOGs??! :twak:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:25:08 PM
I traded the only one I had ages ago... lovely pics though :D

Quite fancy a Paladin with those lovely gear covers.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline EddieEnzyme

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:11 PM
Aha! I'll join! I got me one of those!  :multi:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:45:08 AM
I'm in.  I have two or three I think...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:57 PM
I'm in :)

Only had it for a day but I'm quite fond of it so far :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:38:22 PM

Cool pix mate!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:43 PM

Cool pix mate!
Very..  8) 8)

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:28:10 AM
I am in too. Stand is the latest car boot find.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:27 PM
Lego TIE fighter :drool: :drool: :drool:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 06:49:28 PM
I am in too. Stand is the latest car boot find.

:think: what stand  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 07:31:26 PM
Lego TIE fighter :drool: :drool: :drool:

Superb!

Have the kids managed to wrestle it off you Mark, or has it found a special place in the man cave?  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 09:01:20 PM
Yes I ........ The kids have quite bit of Lego star wars and when it comes to taking it apart I have been known to use the ppp. I know you want to know the ship cost £5.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 12:13:34 AM
So far so good with the PPP, there are some definite design flaws but for me I can see this tool working out quite well. The compound leverage did seem to increase the force that could be applied but I couldn't really tell by how much. All the hard wire I have available was able to be cut by both the Charge TTI and Vic Spirit. So I had to move the goal posts a bit. I searched through the odds and ends bin of nails and screws and found a hard nail that I couldn't cut with both the Spirit and the Charge using one hand only. Then I tried the PPP (with a bandana wrapped around the handles  ::)) and was able to cut it one handed with even a bit of strength left to spare. Nice and with no damage to the cutters :tu: I'm a believer now :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:11 PM
So far so good with the PPP, there are some definite design flaws but for me I can see this tool working out quite well. The compound leverage did seem to increase the force that could be applied but I couldn't really tell by how much. All the hard wire I have available was able to be cut by both the Charge TTI and Vic Spirit. So I had to move the goal posts a bit. I searched through the odds and ends bin of nails and screws and found a hard nail that I couldn't cut with both the Spirit and the Charge using one hand only. Then I tried the PPP (with a bandana wrapped around the handles  ::)) and was able to cut it one handed with even a bit of strength left to spare. Nice and with no damage to the cutters :tu: I'm a believer now :D

:tu:  there pretty good arnt they  :D i was very impressed last week cutting SS rings with ease  :tu: yeah the gears are a little bit of a pain while using the driver but im tough  :D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:40 PM
Yep, I gotta say, this is my first SOG product of any kind and I'm pleasantly surprised. The only real what-the-smurf moment I've had with it was using the "can opener". Seriously it wasn't just blunt there was 1/32 of an inch of visible flat edge on it :facepalm: I put a quick edge on it with a DMT extra-extra coarse hone and was actually able to fully open a can. It still needs another 5 - 10 minutes of sharpening for it to become truly useful.

I have a saw on order from SOG and was planning to swap the blade for the saw but looking closely as I close the tool, it almost appears that there is enough room to squeeze in a saw and a blade in the same side. Is the possible :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:57:15 PM
Yep, I gotta say, this is my first SOG product of any kind and I'm pleasantly surprised. The only real what-the-smurf moment I've had with it was using the "can opener". Seriously it wasn't just blunt there was 1/32 of an inch of visible flat edge on it :facepalm: I put a quick edge on it with a DMT extra-extra coarse hone and was actually able to fully open a can. It still needs another 5 - 10 minutes of sharpening for it to become truly useful.

I have a saw on order from SOG and was planning to swap the blade for the saw but looking closely as I close the tool, it almost appears that there is enough room to squeeze in a saw and a blade in the same side. Is the possible :think:

Ive got the saw instead of a blade and i dont think it is possible, i might give it a go though but i think it will be too tight for the pliers to go in  :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:01:40 PM
How does the saw work for you? Looking at the pics it looks quite well designed.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 06:47:34 AM
How does the saw work for you? Looking at the pics it looks quite well designed.

The woodsaw works really well,as good as LM's i also add the bit adapter to the large driver to add more driver options,  :tu:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 11:30:50 PM
Well I received a saw for the PPP this weekend. I put it in next to the blade and found I could only close the tool by pressing the saw over just slightly while folding it. This was an unacceptable comprise for me. But then I got to thinking that if I swapped the positions of the saw and blade (saw being the outermost tool) then the taper of the knife tip might allow the pliers head to clear. I tried this and it does basically work. If you look closely as you fold it you can see the pliers head just clear the tip of the knife and then push it out of the way very slightly. It may scratch the tip of the knife blade over time but shouldn't dull or blunt it. If SOG would just make the handle a little bit thicker it would easily accommodate two long tools per side.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:36 AM
Well I received a saw for the PPP this weekend. I put it in next to the blade and found I could only close the tool by pressing the saw over just slightly while folding it. This was an unacceptable comprise for me. But then I got to thinking that if I swapped the positions of the saw and blade (saw being the outermost tool) then the taper of the knife tip might allow the pliers head to clear. I tried this and it does basically work. If you look closely as you fold it you can see the pliers head just clear the tip of the knife and then push it out of the way very slightly. It may scratch the tip of the knife blade over time but shouldn't dull or blunt it. If SOG would just make the handle a little bit thicker it would easily accommodate two long tools per side.

I will give this a try later but i did line up the blade in this way and it looks very tight and possibly scratch the blade and pliers, ill give it a go later but i agree i wish sog made a slightly wider version of this tool as i like its size and i woudltn mind it a little wider if i could fit a couple more tools, the paratool is like this in the way i could fit the v-cutter and wood was but the pliers stuck up out of the handles  :-\  that bugged me  :D

gb Offline Jamie_M

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 04:30:01 PM
Just received mine this morning, switched out the blade for a saw.
SOG1.JPG
* SOG1.JPG (Filesize: 88.87 KB)
SOG2.JPG
* SOG2.JPG (Filesize: 122.21 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 12:49:45 AM
I bought a used SOG S45 Deluxe Pocket Power Pliers some time ago.  Got rid of the Robertson driver and swapped out the half serrated blade knife for a full straight edge blade.

Recently, I transplanted the individual bits from the S-45 into a Paladin Powerplay PT-510 frame and kept the PT-510 pliers head.

Wish SOG would upgrade the PPP with blade locks.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:02:36 AM
Finally bought a PPP. Been wanting one for years, they just don't seem to come up second hand ond ebay at all. Also put several wanted adds on this forum but no bites. Considering the quantity of gerbers and leathermans that go by i still wonder whether its simply unpopular or no one is willing to part with theirs!

Anyone have a fixed solution for the hurty handles?

My first true multitool purchase was a powerlock which i always ytake for the rough heavy duty task.. and the PPP truly seems like the ideal size for daily carry. If only it had handle covers (or simplier external opening tools like a swisstool) and locking tools. Its why i carry a leatherman blast... don't particularly care for the leathermans but it has the right size/implement/function for worldy use

-Hey i've been gone for about 120 days so my first post should be a 120 day grave dig right?
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:08 AM
I EDC a PPP, this is the club for me!

I took out my can opener after shearing off the screwdrive tip and put a Robertson in its place. I also took out the combo blade in favor of a fully serrated blade. While the implements do leave a bit to be desired, the compound leverage is just too dang good.

C'mon, SOG, make a PPP with gear covers and locking tools.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%