Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Time Windows and much text

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Wenger Time Windows and much text
on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:54 PM
 Wenger  time windows

1893 Founding Cutlery Works, Paul Boéchat & Cie

1895 A group from Delsberg takes over, name the factory Swiss de Coutellerie SA

1898 Not completely sure when Theo Wenger came from USA, He is sad to have worked in his father in laws business for clothes and learned to run a business there, Theo was a son of a Minister

1898 Theo Wenger get main position

1898/1899 Spoons and forks in rented building

1900 new factory 1700 square feet in Delemont called Fabrique Suisse de Courtetellrie at Services
1900-1940 old tang/shank stamp is 3 face logo, another very old stamp may be from the very early years a squirrel with Courtelle Suisse.

1907 Wenger Co

1908 Soldier knife

1909 Kaspar Oertli becomme representantive

1922 Kaspar is partner

1928 Wenger family sells out

1929 Kaspar get main interest in Wenger & Co SA from Theo`s family after Theo`s death.

1937 after recession it is first at this date the company makes positive numbers

1947 Max Oertli takes over after his Fathers death
1940s Logo crossbow

1949 Geneva convention : to copy a Swiss Cross is forbidden.

1950 A patent application seem to contain Wengerinox in crossbow symbol

1951 Grilon scales on Soldiers knife

1960 in 1960 when a U2 plane crashed in the former Soviet Union - the pilot Francis Gary Powers had a Wenger pocketknife in his gear : We here in Norway know this story since a or same plane type used an airbase in this country for missions during the cold war, the plane - a surveillance type could fly so high that the Soviets could not shoot it down, until the order came from the Defence to shoot it down at all cost, a missile hit the plane May first 1960 and it went down in the Ural region, after this the Soviet made serious threats to lay flat parts of Norway

1962 Can opener application, patented 1964

1963 first alox type Soldier

1967 Wenger Brand in American marked

1970s Logo became Cross

1970 Outdoor wave in Japan

1971 Earliest patent application on the old construction on the VIP type, so the 1976 date on the VIP model may be correct.

1971 patent application without drawings, describes nailfile and its production, mentioned .2 - .4 % carbon and 13 – 14 % Crome, RC 53-57

1973 Patent application on scissors with integrated spring and it actually looks to have serrations, however we know early models is found without serrations, patented on 1975 so the mentioned 1976 may be correct.

1973 backpacker magazine published, a wave with Backpacking in the USA, around 1976 Precise make what seems like a mobilizing in the US marked, and further in 1977 and 79 aswell,..many new knives and functions is launched, make note on this since a lot happened here,.In the 1980s and especially after 1986 another mobilizing this from Wenger factory,.

1975 In an owners guide probarbly 1975 liners is : Swiss Electroplated aluminium,.Do not want to enter differences in Anodizing, this is for others, again also here Swedish Stainless steel is mentioned!
1976 Handle scales info Tenite Butyrate bonded under 2000 pounds pressure

1976 Earliest picture and advertising for Monarch model, older can-opener and flat screwdriver with cap opener on oposite side

1977 Around this date flat screwdriver with cap opener may have changed sides, again this is not certain and may be just on some models,..

1977 If advertising is correct placed it shows the Universal Wrench, here is mentioned new functions aswell, also to new series Personalized line and Sportsman Presentation, symbols or Characters means one can identify Your knife with Your interests, this makes a lot of sense on my knives as well

1977 It seems when the Universal Wrench arrived -the opposite Phillips is there.

1979 Packlock, worlds first SAK with locking blade

1980 Precise mention new model with Packlock and now 6 models available with this feature.

1981 Viceroy model and interlock system or locking is mentioned, may be older

1982 Earliest Patent application I have found on flat screwdriver with cap opener and the push locking system, inventor Theubet Michel, so 1984 may be correct.

1983 Precise (Boys life magazine) mention Wenger is only Official AK Scout B.S.A supplier,. Also here Locking safety blade mentioned

1985 article Anchorage on  Daily News January 3rd 1985 show orienting tool, ruler compass function

1985 Shows a Patent application a pocketknife with electronic modules that can be removed, splashproof, this seems to be a Wenger «try» on the electronic or start of this age on knives, this may never have been launches truly, also searching  patents Wenger have unknown functions.

1986 Factory modernized after fire

1986 In Popular Mechanics mentions liners electroplated aluminium again, aluminium for light weight.

1986 Got from Wenger that plier with integrated springs was introduced in 1986
1987 If date is true it says Wenger is now running a super modern factory, have in mind Victorinox at this time aswell.
In Boston Globe article 12th of April it is mentioned that the Wenger factory is in the heart of Swiss Watch industry.

1988 Watches.

1988 Boston Globe article says 10% of Wenger`s marked is in the USA

1988 Much new from this date, based on articles from newspapers and knives, further from the 1990s a lot happens.
The logo on backside of tang show W or 3-knife logo and this seems to be from the late 80s, however may vary. This also makes sense on James Christians page, have in mind modernizing from 1986 and this represents date from a huge change in the knives.

1988 This is a small info or a not 100% detail, however Pure Silver mentions Victorinox could not make enough knives to fulfill contracts so they subcontracted Wenger SA, here it says they use the same French steel, we know from history with Victorinox about Swedish steel! And that Wenger use same high standards.

1989 Start of Swiss army Watches in America is a huge success

1989 Article in Daily News 18th December tells about new knives called pastel, this maybe 65mm Esquire Pastel series

1990 Probably start on Ranger models 120mm, clip point blade is directed at the American marked, these are popular in Russia.

nformation may vary and only represents a time window, -Based:
Patent applications
Collected knives
internet information and forums
James Christians page
Google books and newspapers
Wenger SA
and more

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:40:43 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger Time Windows and much text
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:04:14 PM
Hi,

Great compilation!   :salute: I'll add this to the Wenger Company page on the Wiki.  I'll review each not and see if there is more I can add from their Centenary book. 

I think you should note that the original Ranger series in 1990/91 was not marketed directly in the US, but through Buck Knives until 1998.  I believe while they had the contract with Buck they were not marketing the same knives in the US under their own name. 

I also recently saw mention of the Viceroy in a 1981 Boy's Life Ad.  I will post it soon.

Also interesting, is in that ad Precise claims the "Pointer" is the largest SAK made.  I'm looking for one of those models, but don't have one yet.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:14:53 PM
Apparantly the they produced the first pocket knives in Stainless steel in 1919. model 112. during the following years other models and tables knives were added, then spoons and forks.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:29:36 PM
Apparantly the they produced the first pocket knives in Stainless steel in 1919. model 112. during the following years other models and tables knives were added, then spoons and forks.

Yes, i have been into the Ranger and SwissBucks, it is Wenger that say The Ranger models was directed so, anyhow not sure,.
Yes, the early info i found is thin and we know that wenger was part of the development of the Soldier knife, spoons and forks is from another information and it may certainly be how you say, i found some videos mentioning atleast if i remember correct that the company first started up with table-ware and so on,
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:11 PM
Hi,

Great compilation!   :salute: I'll add this to the Wenger Company page on the Wiki.  I'll review each not and see if there is more I can add from their Centenary book. 

I think you should note that the original Ranger series in 1990/91 was not marketed directly in the US, but through Buck Knives until 1998.  I believe while they had the contract with Buck they were not marketing the same knives in the US under their own name. 

I also recently saw mention of the Viceroy in a 1981 Boy's Life Ad.  I will post it soon.

Also interesting, is in that ad Precise claims the "Pointer" is the largest SAK made.  I'm looking for one of those models, but don't have one yet.
Thank You alot for info  :)
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:32 PM

Yes, i have been into the Ranger and SwissBucks, it is Wenger that say The Ranger models was directed so, anyhow not sure,.
Yes, the early info i found is thin and we know that wenger was part of the development of the Soldier knife, spoons and forks is from another information and it may certainly be how you say, i found some videos mentioning atleast if i remember correct that the company first started up with table-ware and so on,
Note they produced the table ware earlier that 1919, just not in stainless steel.

Also Wenger in the 60 was huge in the proffessional butchers market with their original SWIBO design.  The SWIBO range of butcher's knives was developed in 1955.  It set the hygenic standard due to there high polished stainless blades and their synthetic molded handles.  The basically set the hygenic standard used today for commercial knives.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:52:31 PM

Ah yes, thank you now i follow, sure this is interesting  :tu:
Get more tools

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:40 PM
Amici,
BRAVO!!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 11:29:53 PM
A large amount of very useful information. Thanks for putting it together. :tu:

Karl

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:20:01 AM

thanks to all :tu:
Get more tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:08 PM
Great info North Man. :salute:  I've got an old Commander that doesn't have the push-lock on the screwdriver/bottle opener and have often wondered how old it might be, seems to be older than I thought. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 01:40:47 PM
Hi People i made som mods to info with the help here, Wenger  time windows , please feel free to add so we can get a ok line, see 1898 ,1900 , 1900-1940 and 1919

1898 Not completely sure when Theo Wenger came from USA, He is sad to have worked in his father in laws business for clothes and learned to run a business there, Theo was a son of a Pastor and minister himself

1900 new factory 18,000 square foot in Delemont called Fabrique Suisse de Courtetellrie at Services
1900-1940 old tang/shank stamp is 3 face logo, another very old stamp may be from the very early years a squirrel with Courtetelle, later Courtellerie Suisse without squirrel.

1907 Wenger Co

1908 Soldier knife

1919 Apparantly the they produced the first pocket knives in Stainless steel in 1919

1922 Kaspar is partner

1929 Kaspar get main interest in Wenger & Co SA from Theo`s family after Theo`s death.

1937 after recession it is first at this date the company makes positive numbers

1940s Logo crossbow

1960 in 1960 when a U2 plane crashed in the former Soviet Union - the pilot Francis Gary Powers had a Wenger pocketknife in his gear : We here in Norway know this story since a or same plane type used an airbase in this country for missions during the cold war, the plane - a surveillance type could fly so high that the Soviets could not shoot it down, until the order came from the Defence to shoot it down at all cost, a missile hit the plane May first 1960 and it went down in the Ural region, after this the Soviet made serious threats to lay flat parts of Norway

1970s Logo became Cross

1971 Earliest patent application on the old construction on the VIP type, so the 1976 date on the VIP model may be correct.

1971 patent application without drawings, describes nailfile and its production, mentioned .2 - .4 % carbon and 13 – 14 % Crome, RC 53-57

1973 Patent application on scissors with integrated spring and it actually looks to have serrations, however we know early models is found without serrations, patented on 1975 so the mentioned 1976 may be correct.

1973 backpacker magazine published, a wave with Backpacking in the USA, around 1976 Precise make what seems like a mobilizing in the US marked, and further in 1977 and 79 aswell,..many new knives and functions is launched, make note on this since a lot happened here,.In the 1980s and especially after 1986 another mobilizing this from Wenger factory,.

1975 In an owners guide probarbly 1975 liners is : Swiss Electroplated aluminium,.Do not want to enter differences in Anodizing, this is for others, again also here Swedish Stainless steel is mentioned!

1976 Earliest picture and advertising for Monarch model, older can-opener and flat screwdriver with cap opener on oposite side

1977 Around this date flat screwdriver with cap opener may have changed sides, again this is not certain and may be just on some models,..

1977 If advertising is correct placed it shows the Universal Wrench, here is mentioned new functions aswell, also to new series Personalized line and Sportsman Presentation, symbols or Characters means one can identify Your knife with Your interests, this makes a lot of sense on my knives as well

1977 It seems when the Universal Wrench arrived -the opposite Phillips is there.

1980 Precise mention new model with Packlock and now 6 models available with this feature.

1982 Earliest Patent application I have found on flat screwdriver with cap opener and the push locking system, inventor Theubet Michel, so 1984 may be correct.

1983 Precise (Boys life magazine) mention Wenger is only Official AK Scout B.S.A supplier,. Also here Locking safety blade mentioned

1985 article Anchorage on  Daily News January 3rd 1985 show orienting tool, ruler compass function

1985 Shows a Patent application a pocketknife with electronic modules that can be removed, splashproof, this seems to be a Wenger «try» on the electronic or start of this age on knives, this may never have been launched truly, also searching  patents Wenger have unknown functions.

1986 In Popular Mechanics mentions liners electroplated aluminium again, aluminium for light weight.

1987 If date is true it says Wenger is now running a super modern factory, have in mind Victorinox at this time aswell.
In Boston Globe article 12th of April it is mentioned that the Wenger factory is in the heart of Swiss Watch industry.

1988 Watches.

1988 Much new from this date, based on articles from newspapers and knives, further from the 1990s a lot happens.
The logo on backside of tang show W or 3-knife logo and this seems to be from the late 80s, however may vary. This also makes sense on James Christians page, have in mind modernizing from 1986 and this represents date from a huge change in the knives.

1988 This is a small info or a not 100% detail, however Pure Silver mentions Victorinox could not make enough knives to fulfill contracts so they subcontracted Wenger SA, here it says they use the same French steel, we know from history with Victorinox about Swedish steel! And that Wenger use same high standards.

1989 Article in Daily News 18th December tells about new knives called pastel, this maybe 65mm Esquire Pastel series

1990 Probably start on Ranger models 120mm, clip point blade is directed at the American marked, these are popular in Russia."original Ranger series in 1990/91 was not marketed directly in the US, but through Buck Knives until 1998.  I believe while they had the contract with Buck they were not marketing the same knives in the US under their own name. "

information may vary and only represents a time window, -Based:
Patent applications
Collected knives
James Christians page
Wenger SA
and more

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:08:45 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:08:51 PM
Personally, I love reading this sort of historical timeline.  Thank you NorthMan for putting it together.  I've enjoyed reading it and comparing it to other historical timelines for context.  :)

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
Hi

You are welcome :tu:
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:21 AM
1896  New production plant is built at Courtetelle.

1898  Purchase of Basel company "A. Mertens, Schweizer Britanniametallwarenfabrik" and in October 1998 moved its 28 employees from Rhineland to a rented production facility in Delemont for tableware spoons and forks.

1903 Knife Handle Attachment Patent Granted - Dec 29, 1893 to Theodor Wenger (table knife). US Patent 748,547 filed September 26,1902.

1905  Hans Mury is appointed Managing Director, as Theodore wishes be concentrate on Sales and be stationed in Basel. It was apparently tough negotiating, but he obtained the rights to the total output of the Cutlery Works.

1907  Wenger Co Limited Partnership Established, March 13th. The Sales and manufacturing division didn't work out so well, and Wenger realized he was totally dependent on the factory and it was in trouble. Wenger buys the company to save it for the second time. A Limited Partnership is formed; Theodor Wenger, Fritz Gtgax, and Alfred Meyer.

1922  Wenger Co S.A. is established by Theodor Wenger, Kaspar Oertli, and George Tarnutzer, taking over the assets and liabilities of the Limited Partnership.

1925  Due to illness Theodore Wenger releases control of the company, but remains Chairman of the Board.

1928  Founder Theodore Wenger passes, June 27th. The Wenger family sells its stake in the company.

1955  Wenger reinvents the butcher knife for the commercial market with the SWIBO brand, featuring unique blade designs of French influence, highly polished stainless steel blades, and yellow high brightness synthetic molded handles. The handles were made from Grilon, and set new hygienic and safety standards. These knives became very popular and set many of the hygienic and safety standards that are now law in North America.

1990/91  Wenger looking to increase market presence in the United States grants sales and marketing license for a range of Swiss manufactured pocket knives to major USA manufacturer Buck Knives. Buck markets initially 10 Wenger knives under its new SwissBuck brand, and would later increase the number to around 15. This licensing agreement lasted until 1998.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:51 AM
1998 US Patent Swiss Grip, 7 Claims including the bit-drivers.

1999 US Patent Cigar Cutter.

2000 US Patent for the tool magazine used on the Minathor.

2000 Aug 15th patent granted "Multifunctional Pocket Tool with Pilers" covering 12 claims (aka PocketGrip).  US Patent 6,101,654 filed April 26, 1999. 

2001 November 13, patent granted covering 55 claims on the design of the "Multifunctional Pocket Tool" (aka PocketGrip). US Patent 6,314,600 filed January 14, 1999. 

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:20:54 AM
Thanks for the compilation of history, it's great!   :tu:
SAW

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:28 AM
1901 -  Wenger (still the Coutellerie Suisse) begins to make knives for the Swiss Army
1905 - begins to make an Officer's-type knife
around 1910 - Wenger's screwdriver adds an arc to become a caplifter - long before Victorinox did so
1910 - Theo Wenger's wife Lisa names the Tahara line
1957 thru 1964 - Wenger makes some Soldier models with red Grilon scales
1984 - Wenger introduces left-handed models
1986 - the compass ("orienteering tool")
1986 - adjustable pliers
1990 - serrated blade
This data from the Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, Michael Young 2011
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:37 AM
Hi here is an updated list with the early modifications, I added some super info from ICanFixThat og J Mackrel Jones,..atleast we now have a certain list and helpful timeline for us, I am not sure the dates 100% in line,..
Ps have in mind this is in respect for Wenger and is only ment to be time windows..

1896 New production plant is built at Courtetelle

1898 Not completely sure when Theo Wenger came from USA, He is sad to have worked in his father in laws business for clothes and learned to run a business there, Theo was a son of a Pastor and minister himself

1898 Purchase of Basel company "A. Mertens, Schweizer Britanniametallwarenfabrik" and in October 1998 moved its 28 employees from Rhineland to a rented production facility in Delemont for tableware spoons and forks.

1900 new factory 18,000 square foot in Delemont called Fabrique Suisse de Courtetellrie at Services

1900-1940 old tang/shank stamp is 3 face logo, another very old stamp may be from the very early years a squirrel with Courtetelle, later Courtellerie Suisse without squirrel.

1903 Knife Handle Attachment Patent Granted - Dec 29, 1893 to Theodor Wenger (table knife). US Patent 748,547 filed September 26,1902

1905 Hans Mury is appointed Managing Director, as Theodore wishes be concentrate on Sales and be stationed in Basel. It was apparently tough negotiating, but he obtained the rights to the total output of the Cutlery Works.

1905 - begins to make an Officer's-type knife

1907 Wenger Co Limited Partnership Established, March 13th. The Sales and manufacturing division didn't work out so well, and Wenger realized he was totally dependent on the factory and it was in trouble. Wenger buys the company to save it for the second time. A Limited Partnership is formed; Theodor Wenger, Fritz Gtgax, and Alfred Meyer.

1907 Wenger Co

1908 Soldier knife

1910 - Theo Wenger's wife Lisa names the Tahara line

1919 Apparantly the they produced the first pocket knives in Stainless steel in 1919

1922 Kaspar is partner

1922 Wenger Co S.A. is established by Theodor Wenger, Kaspar Oertli, and George Tarnutzer, taking over the assets and liabilities of the Limited Partnership.

1925 Due to illness Theodore Wenger releases control of the company, but remains Chairman of the Board.

1940s Logo crossbow

1955 Wenger reinvents the butcher knife for the commercial market with the SWIBO brand, featuring unique blade designs of French influence, highly polished stainless steel blades, and yellow high brightness synthetic molded handles. The handles were made from Grilon, and set new hygienic and safety standards. These knives became very popular and set many of the hygienic and safety standards that are now law in North America.

1957 thru 1964 - Wenger makes some Soldier models with red Grilon scales

1970s Logo became Cross

1984 - Wenger introduces left-handed models

1985 article Anchorage on Daily News January 3rd 1985 show orienting tool, ruler compass function

1985 Shows a Patent application a pocketknife with electronic modules that can be removed, splashproof, this seems to be a Wenger «try» on the electronic or start of this age on knives, this may never have been launched truly, also searching patents Wenger have unknown functions.

1988 Watches.

1990 Probably start on Ranger models 120mm, clip point blade is directed at the American marked, these are popular in Russia."original Ranger series in 1990/91 was not marketed directly in the US, but through Buck Knives until 1998. I believe while they had the contract with Buck they were not marketing the same knives in the US under their own name. "
1990/91 Wenger looking to increase market presence in the United States grants sales and marketing license for a range of Swiss manufactured pocket knives to major USA manufacturer Buck Knives. Buck markets initially 10 Wenger knives under its new SwissBuck brand, and would later increase the number to around 15. This licensing agreement lasted until 1998.

1998 US Patent Swiss Grip, 7 Claims including the bit-drivers.

1999 US Patent Cigar Cutter.

2000 US Patent for the tool magazine used on the Minathor.

2000 Aug 15th patent granted "Multifunctional Pocket Tool with Pilers" covering 12 claims (aka PocketGrip). US Patent 6,101,654 filed April 26, 1999.

2001 November 13, patent granted covering 55 claims on the design of the "Multifunctional Pocket Tool" (aka PocketGrip). US Patent 6,314,600 filed January 14, 1999.

information may vary and only represents a time window, -Based:
Patent applications
Collected knives
James Christians page
Wenger SA
and more

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:45:47 AM by North Man »
Get more tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:27 AM
Thanks for all the info mate :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:08 PM
What is the "Viceroy" with "interlocking system"?
The date given of around 1981 perhaps relates this model to the early 80s "Executive" (now the Esquire) model with locking blade:  the blade unlocks by opening the nailfile half way.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 03:24:55 PM

Hi
It is this article if i remember correct showing Viceroy, i just guess that a model could have been made before and i am not sure Viceroy is first but should be around, i have been looking for when it was made(the lock),..
http://books.google.no/books?id=r2YEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA9&dq=wenger+viceroy&hl=en&ei=WVnPT6CCDNLP4QSdvdjLDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=wenger%20viceroy&f=false
Get more tools

Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 04:47:22 PM
Thanks NorthMan.  Looks like the same.  The box for mine calls it the Executive with locking blade.
Thw Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual has a 7-page timeline for Victorinox and Wenger.  The first page, with the permission of the author:

Here is a chronology of developments and changes of the
Victorinox and Wenger Swiss Army Knives:
1884 - founding of Victorinox company in Ibach, Schwyz (Karl Elsener
Messer-Fabrik)
1891 - the first truly Swiss Soldier’s Knife, the Model 1890 (Elsener)
1893 - founding of Wenger company in Courtetelle, Jura (Boechat &
Compagnie)
1897 - Karl Elsener invents the Officer’s Knife
1898 - Theodore Wenger named director of Boechat/
Fabrique Suisse de Coutellerie (Coutellerie Suisse)
1900 - Wenger builds a new factory in Delémont
1901 - fiber rather than wood scales now on the Soldier
1901 - Coutellerie Suisse (Wenger) makes knives for the Swiss army
1902 - new models based on Officer design - wood saw, scissors, bail,
tweezers, and toothpick (E)
1902 - Karl Elsener patents a type of folding knife whose
1-piece metal handle is also the back-spring
1903 (or before) - Swiss cross & shield on handle of Officer (E)
1905 - Wenger begins making an Officer’s type knife
1907 - Fabrique Suisse de Coutellerie renamed Wenger & Co, now owned
by Theo Wenger
1908 - new, lighter Soldier Model 1908, with fiber scales (E & W)
1908 ? - issued Soldier knives have Swiss cross stamp on scale
1909 or before - Officer line now 3 pins visible instead of 4 (E)
1909 - Swiss cross on shield officially adopted for the Officer line (E)
1909 - VICTORIA becomes trademark of Elsener’s cutlery company
1910 circa - screwdriver has cap lifter (W)
1910 - Theo’s wife Lisa names Tahara line (W)
1911 - the Elsener cutlery adds a workshop on Schutzenstrasse
1913 circa - WENGER first used as tang stamp (W)
1913 - VICTORIA on a scroll first used as tang stamp (E)
1915 ? - issued Soldier knives have WK stamp on scale ----
1916 - privately-purchased Soldier knives now to have a P stamp
1918 - Karl Elsener dies, sons Carl & Alois take over
1919 - stainless steel on the model #112 (W)
1921 - Victorinox now makes Officer’s knife with stainless steel
1921 - Victoria + Inox = VICTORINOX (as tang stamp in 1931)
1921 - year of manufacture now stamped on blade of Soldier
1923 - tang stamp VICTORIA on scroll over JNOXYD (V)
1926 - some stainless Soldier models made for export, with special stamp
1928 - Theo Wenger dies and Kaspar Oertli takes over
1931 - crossbow with VICTORIA or VICTORINOX or JNOXYD on banner
tang stamp (V)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30