Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Straight Razor users in the house ?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Any Straight Razor users in the house ?
on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:25 AM
I went back to using a double edged saftey razor a month ago . Much preferable to disposables , + much greener . I used to use a Straight back in the late seventies .

Where is a good source for them ? What type of hone do you use ? I've got stropping pretty well covered ( just need some coarse linen for the back of my hanging strop ) .

Chris

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Any Straight Razor users in the house ?
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:38 AM
There are a few forums that strictly deal in that category, I've tried just about everything, even the real expensive electric ones, but still couldn't get a good shave, I always wanted to try a straight, but just couldn't do it. And talking to a few people gave me some advice and i moved up to a safety! And so far it's the best shave I've ever had, to add to it I've also had a custom scuttle made and that has also made a big diff.. I'd post links and pics but I'm on this dang tablet and still don't know all the secrets to doing everything.  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:01 AM
I would love to learn, I did start up on one of the straight razor forums to get knowledged on the subject but that project is still on the backburner. There is always money to be spent elsewhere.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:46:26 AM
Is the safety razor the old type that takes a replaceable double edge razor? I have one like that but never new what it was called. I was very surprised to see the refill razors still readily available? I guess alot of people like them still

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
I use double edged safety myself, and have considered learning open razor, but never followed it through. I got one of those doofers that take a disposable blade, but chickened out of it to be honest. I also managed to get a nice old Sheffield made open razor but it needs resetting before it sees any use. I have the Japanese water stones to do it, but just havent got off my arse and done it  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 05:38:08 PM
Is the safety razor the old type that takes a replaceable double edge razor? I have one like that but never new what it was called. I was very surprised to see the refill razors still readily available? I guess alot of people like them still

Correct.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:07:54 PM
Yeah, I've been using a safety razor for the last few months and love it. Doubt I'd ever go back to Mach3, Fusion, ... razors. I bought an old Gillette safety razor about two months back and it's far better than anything currently on the market.

I used to use a straight razor, a DOVO, then lost it for at least half a decade. :facepalm: I found it again this summer, but it rusted a bit due to years of neglect (due to being lost). I still haven't restored it fully as I'd need to buy some decent sharpening stones for it and can't bring myself to spend much on them cause I like my safety razor so much.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:35 PM
I've got a couple but I'm so lazy I sleep until the last minute possible, I will learn to use them one day
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:53 PM
Here is another page on the forum that has a few pics and discussions on razors. JR
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31735.0.html
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:44:17 AM
Here is my safe t double edge.
WIN_20140929_052617.JPG
* WIN_20140929_052617.JPG (Filesize: 149.15 KB)
WIN_20140929_052713.JPG
* WIN_20140929_052713.JPG (Filesize: 133.36 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:52:33 AM
I shave with a Gilette Fatboy and love it! It's a great shave, and beats any current razors on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD