Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman 154CM Removable Hard-wire Cutters vs Gerber Carbide?

us Offline DIYMultiTool

Is the Gerber Carbide harder?  Cheaper to repace?

Buck Collectors Club Inc., (BCCI) Life Member

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Pretty sure 154cm would not do this  ::) :D

Gerber's carbide cutters are hard but brittle. The wire I was cutting was thick & hard though , in most circumstances Gerber's cutters would be fine.

Both are replaceable so give em both a go  :pok: :pok: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Interesting. .... I've seen other reports of the Gerber carbide cutters shattering.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Ya Ive heard nothing good about the carbide cutters.  Yes they are replaceable, but you dont want to have to replace them all the time.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

I think people are mistaking the purpose of the carbide cutters, they aren't meant to cut thick wires, too brittle for that as mentioned. Rather they are meant to cut thin/stranded wires and stay sharp, thus performs better in long term.

As an example, I dented my dedicated side cutter cutting fishing leaders (the wire loop on end, which is thin and hard), but the carbide cutter on my MP600 handled many of these without a hitch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:06:51 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline DIYMultiTool

Pretty sure 154cm would not do this  ::) :D
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Gerber's carbide cutters are hard but brittle. The wire I was cutting was thick & hard though , in most circumstances Gerber's cutters would be fine.

Both are replaceable so give em both a go  :pok: :pok: :D :D

Excellent pics :salute:
Buck Collectors Club Inc., (BCCI) Life Member

Offline cj1984

I agree with jzmtl. I use the carbide cutters everyday at work cutting 1, 1.5 & 2.0mm household wire. I've never had them shatter, only become dull.

I bet leathermans version would not shatter, but I believe it would leave a dent in the cutter if trying to cut thick wire shown in the picture by DIYMultiTool.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
I agree with jzmtl. I use the carbide cutters everyday at work cutting 1, 1.5 & 2.0mm household wire. I've never had them shatter, only become dull.

I bet leathermans version would not shatter, but I believe it would leave a dent in the cutter if trying to cut thick wire shown in the picture by DIYMultiTool.

The wire was 2mm thick & it was hard. The previous day I had used the same carbide cutters to cut the same wire when I was hanging some palms & it did the job. The following day the cutters seemed too break when the wire separated suddenly & caused the cutters too shatter.

I did a experiment at the time with my Leatherman Surge's hard wire notch & it had no problems cutting the same wire & I also tried my SOG PowerAssist & it cut the same wire incredibly easily(compound leverage is a hell of a thing). The wire was too thick/hard clearly for the Gerber Carbide Cutters but no problems for the LM & SOG  :think: :think: . The Gerber cutters have the advantage of having X3 cutting edges so you can rotate the triangle cutters around when the edge becomes dull  8) 8) & they are simple enough to replace which I did & my MP600 lived to fight another day  8) just not cutting 2mm+ hardened wire  ;) :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Whats the quality of the threads like on the Gerbers plier head, will they stand up to many cutter changes or is it easy to strip the threads.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club

Leatherman's 154CM replaceable cutters also include a hard wire notch at the base.  I've cut some thick stuff (see my avatar for an example, lol), and there's hardly a scratch on the cutters.  I bought a replacement set awhile back, but I have a feeling I won't be needing them anytime soon.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Leatherman 154CM Removable Hard-wire Cutters vs Gerber Carbide?
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:54 PM
Does anyone know if the cutters on the Rebar are 154CM steel, or something else?  I believe on Leatherman's site they are listed as "premium steel", yet the Supertool 300's are listed as the 154CM.  Just curious :)  I haven't done any serious cutting with them as I haven't had a need to do so. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:45 PM
they are listed as 154CM for the Rebar as well.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Rebar

also, the 154CM replacement cutters fit both the ST300 and the Rebar.  :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:55 PM
they are listed as 154CM for the Rebar as well.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Rebar

also, the 154CM replacement cutters fit both the ST300 and the Rebar.  :)

That's interesting...I could have sworn it said premium steel :think:  I haven't visited the Rebar page in a while there though.  Maybe they updated that info when they added the BO Rebar pics?  Those weren't originally there either.  Thanks for the answer Breezy :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:23 PM
That's interesting...I could have sworn it said premium steel :think:  I haven't visited the Rebar page in a while there though.  Maybe they updated that info when they added the BO Rebar pics?  Those weren't originally there either.  Thanks for the answer Breezy :salute:

no problem, Monrogue!  :salute:  I actually remember the page saying "premium steel" as well... maybe that was back before they finalized certain aspects of the design?  :think:  in any case, I'm glad they stuck with 154CM -- I haven't had any problems with the cutters on my ST300, and those ones have been abused much more than the cutters on my ReCharge.  ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:26 PM
no problem, Monrogue!  :salute:  I actually remember the page saying "premium steel" as well... maybe that was back before they finalized certain aspects of the design?  :think:  in any case, I'm glad they stuck with 154CM -- I haven't had any problems with the cutters on my ST300, and those ones have been abused much more than the cutters on my ReCharge.  ;)

154CM IS a premium steel isn't it? I've always regarded it as one anyway!!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:18:24 PM

Ok good, so I'm not crazy then...either that or we both are ;)  I wonder if the first few "batches" of them may not have been 154CM?  Otherwise one would think the specs would have listed them as 154CM instead of just "premium".  I got mine this past summer when they were still somewhat new.  Either way they've worked fine for my use, which typically isn't anything too heavy duty.  Oh and I love that ReCharge :drool:  Good job with that :tu:  I really like the Rebar's pliers as they just have a look of extra toughness or ruggedness to them.  I wouldn't mind a ReCharge myself if I had the extra Rebar to sacrifice as I would still want my Rebar to keep it's pliers. 

K-Tibbs

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:08 PM
Interesting. .... I've seen other reports of the Gerber carbide cutters shattering.
I had one that was shattered, came that way used. I also have a friend who was trying to cut zip ties with his at work and it was too dull. It just spread the pliers apart. So I tend to think the gerber cutter is not as good as leatherman but I could be wrong. I was able to cut the zip ties for him with my swisstool.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:39 PM
Ok good, so I'm not crazy then...either that or we both are ;)  I wonder if the first few "batches" of them may not have been 154CM?  Otherwise one would think the specs would have listed them as 154CM instead of just "premium".  I got mine this past summer when they were still somewhat new.  Either way they've worked fine for my use, which typically isn't anything too heavy duty.  Oh and I love that ReCharge :drool:  Good job with that :tu:  I really like the Rebar's pliers as they just have a look of extra toughness or ruggedness to them.  I wouldn't mind a ReCharge myself if I had the extra Rebar to sacrifice as I would still want my Rebar to keep it's pliers.

thanks!  the ReCharge was a fun project.  :)  I still have a couple tweaks I'd like to experiment with -- just need to find some time.  but I know exactly what you mean; I waited until I could grab an extra Rebar because I didn't want to sacrifice my only one.  ;)

and since the cutters are the same ones used on the ST300, I would imagine they have been 154CM the whole time, even on the first production models.

Dave -- no argument here!  :)  I love 154CM steel, especially the Crucible blend that Leatherman uses.  it's absolutely a premium steel in my book.  I was just referring to the semantics used -- saying "premium steel" leaves a bit of ambiguity, whereas if they specifically state "154CM steel", you know exactly what you're getting.  ;)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:28 PM

thanks!  the ReCharge was a fun project.  :)  I still have a couple tweaks I'd like to experiment with -- just need to find some time.  but I know exactly what you mean; I waited until I could grab an extra Rebar because I didn't want to sacrifice my only one.  ;)

and since the cutters are the same ones used on the ST300, I would imagine they have been 154CM the whole time, even on the first production models.

I bet it was.  I'd love to be able to get into modding as I think it would be a hobby I would really enjoy, but I'd need lots of MTs/SAKs with which to experiment as I wouldn't want to destroy my own :ahhh 

Good to know they are the same cutters as the ST300, I didn't know that.  So I would assume they would also be 154CM as you stated.  Good to know in case I do ever need to cut something harder than string or soft wire.  I find that the Rebar cutters work fine as scissors if you are simply snipping a loose thread, clothing tags or anything like that :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:19:03 PM

Dave I still consider 154CM a premium steel as do most people. I guess some folks may not consider it a premium steel since it is not the latest powdered steel from CPM or CTS ect..     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD