Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vise Grip 5WR Toolbox with different knife blades

David · 28 · 7478

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:40 PM
Recently I've been blessed to find both knife blades of the 5WR Toolbox. Here are a couple pics.    :)
ViseGrip5WRToolbox 020.JPG
* ViseGrip5WRToolbox 020.JPG (Filesize: 50.82 KB)
ViseGrip5WRToolbox 023.JPG
* ViseGrip5WRToolbox 023.JPG (Filesize: 51.5 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:00 PM
Can I have your adress and work schedule again please.. ;) I'll be needing one like that someday. :tu:

Sent from my Iphone

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Re: Vise Grip 5WR Toolbox with different knife blades
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:14:31 PM
That is very cool David  8) 8). Schrade USA sure did have some variety in the tools that they put into their multis  :think: :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:00:49 PM
Congrats on finding one of each David! Seems like those old 5wr's have been mighty scarce (and mighty pricey) lately. Did you get one of each by accident, or did you already have the one and then have to search and search until you found the other?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:39:18 PM
Congrats on finding one of each David! Seems like those old 5wr's have been mighty scarce (and mighty pricey) lately. Did you get one of each by accident, or did you already have the one and then have to search and search until you found the other?

I been searching and watching for a while. They dont come up for sell often as you well know. I saw a nice used one a little over a month ago and won it. Then here in the last week or two a seller has had seven of them for sell. Since they had the other knife blade I deciced to get one of them also.    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:59 PM
Great that you were able to score them both. :)

So now will you be looking to get both ST6's and both 6LC's? :pok: :D   (or do you have them already?) :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:21:11 AM

So now will you be looking to get both ST6's and both 6LC's? :pok: :D   (or do you have them already?) :think:

I have one ST6 w/can opener and one 6LC w/sheepfoots blade. I'm sure if the other's pop up I`ll put a bid on it.   :D
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:26:40 AM

I have one ST6 w/can opener and one 6LC w/sheepfoots blade. I'm sure if the other's pop up I`ll put a bid on it.   :D

Yep, after all, what good is having one if you don't have the full set? :pok: :D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:05 PM
Necrothread revival ....

I just received a Toolbox 5WR Vise-Grip with sheepsfoot blade, but the most unusual thing was that it had a two-ended bit in the bit holder that had a philips on one end, but a Robertson on the other end.  Did Schrade/Vise-Grip make special Canadian versions ?   ;)   :pok:

The tool appears completely unused (it still has the "Caution" sticker affixed to one handle), and the sheath also appears untouched (it is black nylon, with "VISE-GRIP (R), Locking Tools" embroidered in white on the flap).

I suspect the bit was an after-market addition, as it doesn't have the tensioning spring/ball bearing in the centre that my other Toolbox bits have, but still a bit unusual.  Anyone else seen one like it ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:49:06 PM
It seems from my ebay-fu that these Toolbox versions sell for more than even the most expensive stock Leatherman. Why is that?

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 06:49:26 PM
Congrats David.  :tu:

Nice additions to your collection.  A 5WR is on my want list, but it isn't a high priority.  Too many plierenchs still running around without good homes.  :rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:33:03 PM
It seems from my ebay-fu that these Toolbox versions sell for more than even the most expensive stock Leatherman. Why is that?

The usual answer- "market forces" ie Supply (limited - no longer made) vs Demand (more people getting into collecting MTs)

Mind you, a lot of the sellers aren't getting the high prices they are asking for.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:40:49 AM

I just received a Toolbox 5WR Vise-Grip with sheepsfoot blade, but the most unusual thing was that it had a two-ended bit in the bit holder that had a philips on one end, but a Robertson on the other end.  Did Schrade/Vise-Grip make special Canadian versions ?   ;)   :pok:

Not that I know of.

Congrats David.  :tu:

Nice additions to your collection.  A 5WR is on my want list, but it isn't a high priority.  Too many plierenchs still running around without good homes.  :rofl:

Thank you Y.

They werent made for very long so there is a very limited supply compared to some other MTs. Vise Grip and Schrade both had a big following in their day so the the collectors of these companies knives and tools have a limited supply to work with. I think nostalgia plays into this. A couple years ago when it finally sank into my thick head that Vise Grip and Schrade were gone forever it hit me really hard. I know I'm not the only one.

Hold Fast

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 06:16:01 PM
I realize it is not vintage, but Irwin has come out with a new version of the vise grip multitool. I wonder if any patents have been infringed on....🤔
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 111.46 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 01:23:33 AM
I realize it is not vintage, but Irwin has come out with a new version of the vise grip multitool. I wonder if any patents have been infringed on....🤔

That might just explain why Irwin made it with the knife blade that pivots from the "wrong" end of the handle  :pok:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:25:17 AM by gregozedobe »

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 02:55:59 AM
Bet you're right! Wonder if you could swap it around to the other end? I thought about buying one but didn't like where the knife folds out.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 03:04:15 AM
It still strikes me as strange that less than a decade after the discontinuation of the nice Schrade/Vise Grip collaboration, that we get this piece of crap called the Vise Grip Multiplier. 

It seems that the design of the tool was hurried and it had all sorts of stuff that didn't work right, namely the blade and quality of the whole tool.   Even if Vise Grip and Chinese Schrade  teamed up and made a version identical to the old version and used Chinese Tough Tool parts (horrible compared to the US one that the old Vise Grip Toolbox shared parts with), I don't think it could have been as bad.  I bought one and hardly a month later (I bought it on the 7th? of Dec. and by the 30th I had the US made normal Vise Grips) I bought a regular pair of 6LN Vise Grips and threw the Multiplier in the bottom of my toolbox.

I really want an affordable user Vise Grip Toolbox in any condition. 

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 04:19:20 AM
It still strikes me as strange that less than a decade after the discontinuation of the nice Schrade/Vise Grip collaboration, that we get this piece of crap called the Vise Grip Multiplier. 

It seems that the design of the tool was hurried and it had all sorts of stuff that didn't work right, namely the blade and quality of the whole tool.   Even if Vise Grip and Chinese Schrade  teamed up and made a version identical to the old version and used Chinese Tough Tool parts (horrible compared to the US one that the old Vise Grip Toolbox shared parts with), I don't think it could have been as bad.  I bought one and hardly a month later (I bought it on the 7th? of Dec. and by the 30th I had the US made normal Vise Grips) I bought a regular pair of 6LN Vise Grips and threw the Multiplier in the bottom of my toolbox.

I really want an affordable user Vise Grip Toolbox in any condition. 

I havent paid much attenion to the new version except what I read on here. I have no plans to buy one and proably never will. I have the good stuff.    :)  Cody I hope you find a good user.      :)
Hold Fast

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 07:43:43 AM
It's not a bad tool, but not on a par with it's predecessor.  I have one and used it today to do some plumbing work around the house.  The blade locks but the screwdriver does not, and that was my source of aggravation with it.  It kept wanting to flip back in when I was using it. 
Vice Grip from Pops.jpg
* Vice Grip from Pops.jpg (Filesize: 98.28 KB)
Barry

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:14 AM
It's not a bad tool, but not on a par with it's predecessor.  I have one and used it today to do some plumbing work around the house.  The blade locks but the screwdriver does not, and that was my source of aggravation with it.  It kept wanting to flip back in when I was using it.

What's that I smell? Could it be a mod? Maybe a tool lock for the Vise Grip Multiplier?  :pok:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:12 PM
The 5WR's bring big bucks on the Ebay  :o
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:25 PM
You're not kidding ToolJoe!  I'm thinking you are on to something there JLWatso1 !!
Barry

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Re: Vise Grip 5WR Toolbox with different knife blade
Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:41 PM

Lack of lock on the driver is a big issue. But there are so many....

What's that I smell? Could it be a mod? Maybe a tool lock for the Vise Grip Multiplier?  :pok:

Do it! :pok:
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2023, 03:31:33 AM
New acquisition for me.

* VideoCapture_20230527-194130.jpg (Filesize: 75.06 KB)

us Offline David

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2023, 04:10:37 AM
Congratulations Y!    :tu:
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2023, 03:42:10 PM
Congratulations Y!    :tu:

Thanks David!  Two down and one to go.  Still on the lookout for that elusive reasonably priced 6LC. "Reasonably priced" is the elusive part.  ;)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2023, 04:44:04 PM
Thanks David!  Two down and one to go.  Still on the lookout for that elusive reasonably priced 6LC. "Reasonably priced" is the elusive part.  ;)

Sounds a bit like the like the old saying:  " You can have it fast, cheap, good.  Pick any two..."  :pok:   ;)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2023, 05:03:56 PM
Sounds a bit like the like the old saying:  " You can have it fast, cheap, good.  Pick any two..."  :pok:   ;)

Exactly!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%