Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Mod, First time posting

us Offline Delta10

on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:41 AM
I suppose I should preface all this with the fact that Breezy12 is my older brother. I got most of my initial knowledge of knife usage, care, and maintenance from him. A fairly common weekend occurrence for years has been me heading over to his place and us having a dram (or several) of scotch and cleaning/sharpening various members of our respective collections.

I've been a Leatherman fan for years. I can recall pouring over the little fold up catalog that came with my first Leatherman for hours, planning how I would obtain them all and in what order. (None of the various plans have worked out completely... yet :-P)

So, the major inspiration for this was Metropolicity's Black Tide mod. I can't imagine mine will end up looking as nice as his, but it's a good mark to shoot for, I'd say.  This is just Mark I of an ongoing project, and I will be updating this post as I go.

I started with a new Wave platform. I currently carry a TTi, but I've always preferred the Wave to the Charge models. I may be slightly biased by the fact that my first Leatherman was an original Wave I got for Boy Scouts, but I actually do prefer the styling of the Wave over the Charge. Titanium handles are nice, but I actually still prefer the look and feel of the Wave. It's been a constant debate with myself ever since I got my TTi, whether or not to swap the blades over to a new Wave I'd picked up at one of the warehouse sales at the Leatherman factory. Anyway, it was a no brainer to slap the pliers from a Rebar into my Wave, so I picked up a spare Rebar and got to work.

Getting the pliers off the Rebar was tricky, but thanks to some help and a brilliant idea from Breezy, it wasn't as horrible as I thought it might be starting off. It was a huge help having him hold the Rebar giving me a stable, vertical base to work on. Also his idea to use a Squirt on one side really helped since it kept my hands at different heights from the Rebar.

After that, the Wave wasn't too tricky. Then got everything put together with only a few minor mishaps.

As you can see, it's a solid start, but there's still a lot of work to be done. The first order of business is to get it to close all the way. Still debating on what to do there, but I'm probably going to grind down the scissors handle with a Dremel.

Next order of business is to get a donor Charge and swap out the blades.

After that, who knows? Like I said, I'm just getting started.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:26:49 AM by Delta10 »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: Wave Mod, First time posting
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:20 AM
nice to have you on the site -- welcome!  :cheers:

and thanks for giving credit where credit is due.  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:44:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Delta. :cheers:  Another excellent first post and I am looking forward to seeing this project develop.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:21 PM
G'day & welcome Deltaman  :D :D.

Nice work on the 'Rave'  :think: :D :D.
I have given a lot of thought about transplanting my Rebar's pliers into my Alx  :think: :think: It just seems a little wrong  :-\ :-\ BUT I reckon I will do it  :think: especially as I have a Vic Cadet + scissors coming  8) , which would make a great double to my ReCharge Alx  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:49 PM
Good to see that I am not just a pretty face :).

Nice work boys!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:23:26 PM

I have given a lot of thought about transplanting my Rebar's pliers into my Alx  :think: :think: It just seems a little wrong  :-\ :-\ BUT I reckon I will do it  :think: especially as I have a Vic Cadet + scissors coming  8) , which would make a great double to my ReCharge Alx  :think: :think:

the best part about using an ALX or XTi is that you're good to go after doing the plier swap -- you don't have to add/remove any of the interior tools unless you want to.  of course, you can always come back at a later date and continue working on it...  :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:55:13 PM

the best part about using an ALX or XTi is that you're good to go after doing the plier swap -- you don't have to add/remove any of the interior tools unless you want to.  of course, you can always come back at a later date and continue working on it...  :D

Yep that has been the thing  :pok: :pok: me into doing it  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Delta10

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:32:48 PM
UPDATE:

Bought myself a Dremel tool a while back. So far used it to grind down the locking pins. Now both blades open and close beautifully. Mark II complete.

More importantly, finally got a donor charge (a TTi) last night. Should get here next week and then I'll be able to start work on mark III and IV. III being the blade swap and IV being grinding down the scissors handle so the tool closes(now that I have a spare from the donor charge if necessary). Super excited to keep going on this mod. More updates and pics to follow.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:33 PM
looking forward to it Delta. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%