Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

High Uinta Multitool: Worth $6?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
High Uinta Multitool: Worth $6?
on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:48 AM
I occasionally purchase stuff from 'Emergency Essentials', and get their catalog. They offer a $6 multi tool, and on my last order, I purchased one. It was five bucks (on sale!). Even if it was made of solid crap, I wouldn't be out that much.

Here's a link to it...
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CU%20T200_A_name_E_High%20Uinta%20Gear%E2%84%A2%20Multi-Function%20Tool

So, at that awesome $6 price point, the question is 'was it worth it?'.

Well...

The tool is a pretty standard knock-off of the Leatherman PST. It has the identical tool loadout as a Sheffield 1200E, which I've spoken about elsewhere (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36892.msg592550.html#msg592550). However, it's not the same quality as the Sheffield. The 1200E has tools with well defined edges, and of thick stock. The High Uinta Multitool has that over-tumbled look to all of its parts. The tool is held together with pins, and their tightness is the only kind of tool retention the tool has.

The blade will actually flex side-to-side with little effort... about how you'd expect a butterknife to flex.  The only good thing is that it came with a halfway decent edge. This was a little odd on such a cheap tool, as most every inexpensive MT I've purchased have had blades that were completely dull.

The plier head is identical (as far as I can tell) to that on the Sheffield, except it has no spring to open the tool. It seems solid, and combined with a tool frame that gives no flex, it inspires confidence. The tips meet up with decent precision. The wire cutter managed 12 gauge wire with reasonable ease (about the same as the Sheffield), although the frame digs into the hands noticably.

The three flat drivers are all over-tumbled, rounded, and have no grip on screws. Tool retention is nonexistent so trying to apply high forces is precarious. The philips head performed reasonably in the screws in door hinges. I wouldn't want to tackle anything more serious with it though.

The awl is, like with the Sheffield, more like a poorly sharpened short knife blade.

The can opener is a not-great example, but perfectly up to the task if you're in no hurry. The cap lifter works as promised.

The fish scaler will go untested, but features a ruler that's a little over 2 ½ inches long stamped into it. The reverse side has a file. It's not great, but better than nothing.

The tool is all stainless steel, and weighs 4.92oz (140g). It comes with a nylon sheath with belt loop and small velcro closure. Including sheath, it weighs 5.23oz (148g).

Pros:
Costs $6
Good pliers
Comes with Sheath

Cons:
Bad tool retention
Bad ergonomics
Flimsy blade

So, is it worth it? Well... it's sold by a place that puts together those pre-made 72 hour emergency kits. If it was a choice between this tool and nothing, obviously, this tool wins out. For a budget kit, I think it's more than $6 of useful.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: High Uinta Multitool: Worth $6?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:12:06 PM
Interesting, I love these tests of less known, make that totally unknown, tools you give us!  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:09:58 PM
A good example of "The cheap tool you have with you is more valuable than the expensive tool you left at home." :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:42 AM
A good example of "The cheap tool you have with you is more valuable than the expensive tool you left at home." :salute:

Truer words were never spoken.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:22:43 AM
I figured it would be better to just post this here, instead of starting a new "incredibly cheap POS MT" thread.

I saw this PST knockoff at Rural King, for $5.
I didn't buy it. I figured I have enough cheapo PST clones by now. And my Husband was standing there LOOKING AT ME! He was kind enough to take the pics, though. As with the High Uinta, I'm sure that it's better than a hand full of nothing.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:56:06 PM
I can picture the scene...  :rofl:

Weird notch at the tip in the screwdriver illustration, #14.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%