Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

20th Anniversary Wave , Some Differences

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
20th Anniversary Wave , Some Differences
on: September 21, 2012, 03:11:17 PM
This thread is inspired by 'Eagle Eye' Dunc. Dunc noticed some extra differences in his 20th Anniversary Wave. First off the 20th Anniversary Wave has what looks like a protective ?plastic sleeve stuck inside the handle for the plain & serrated blades(look closely & you will see it  ;) :D) ;

Next off Dunc noticed the saw & file sit slightly more proud of the handle on the Anniversary Wave & do not completely retract on closing into the handles.
Saw on 2003 20th Wave;

Saw on 2001 original Wave

After having a good look at my 01 original Wave & the 03 Anniversary Wave I put the positioning differences of the saw & file down to slightly different liner locks.
03 Anniversary Wave rounded ramp cut out;

01 Wave square cut out

I suspect the changes to the liner locks were made to make the saw & file easier to get out  :think: & maybe help to avoid the serrated & plain blades from hitting the inside of the handle on closing  :think: :think: , but why have the 2 plastic protectors  :think: :think:. The changes were made some time between 2001 & 2003 with the 'new' wave coming out in 2004. Interestingly the changes found on the liner locks on the 2003 Anniversary Wave did not make it across to the 'new' wave in 2004  :think: :think:.

Anyone got a 2002-2003 standard original Wave with the different liner locks & plastic blade protectors  :think: :think:. Surely LM did not make those changes for just the Anniversary version  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: 20th Anniversary Wave , Some Differences
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:29:51 PM
Great thread and photos Mat  :tu: I didn't have a std original Wave to compare the liner locks so thank you for explaining it , you can clearly see a difference.
  It will be interesting to see if anyone has a standard Wave with the same spec as the 20th Anniversary one.

Dunc

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:13:40 PM
I don't have pics, I'll try to get some, but I have an 0302B wave that has the same features as your 20th (plastic inserts, notched locks)  hope I could help :salute:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:22:35 PM
I don't have pics, I'll try to get some, but I have an 0302B wave that has the same features as your 20th (plastic inserts, notched locks)  hope I could help :salute:

:cheers: :cheers: mate , so it looks like the changes were possibly made around 2002  :think:  :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:42:34 PM

:tu:  Many thanks  :D

I wonder what the significance of the A or B is after the date codes  :think: at first I thought the A was for Anniversary but some Anniversary ones have B on them . I'm guessing it could be for "A" or "B" production lines  :think:

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50:01 PM

I wonder what the significance of the A or B is after the date codes  :think: at first I thought the A was for Anniversary but some Anniversary ones have B on them . I'm guessing it could be for "A" or "B" production lines  :think:

I think the A and B denote which side of the tool or maybe more correctly the tool load in the handle. 

Dunc, you must have quite the eagle eye. 

Bruce

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:57:48 PM

I think the A and B denote which side of the tool or maybe more correctly the tool load in the handle. 

Dunc, you must have quite the eagle eye. 

Bruce

Alas, both sides of mine are b  :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:02:52 PM
Very interesting gents. :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:03 PM
Both mine say A  :P

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:38 PM
I have an old style Wave with 1003A in one handle and 1003B in the other (A being the one with the scissors and B the one with the phillips).

My Wave also has the liner locks as seen on the "20th" Wave here, but the file and saw don't stick out as seen on the pics here.  And it also has the "protective plastic sleeves" for the blades (never noticed this before ...  :-[).

Can't find any good pics from my old Wave, maybe I can take some tomorrow after work.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:35 PM
I have an old style Wave with 1003A in one handle and 1003B in the other (A being the one with the scissors and B the one with the phillips).

My Wave also has the liner locks as seen on the "20th" Wave here, but the file and saw don't stick out as seen on the pics here.  And it also has the "protective plastic sleeves" for the blades (never noticed this before ...  :-[).

Can't find any good pics from my old Wave, maybe I can take some tomorrow after work.

Thats interesting , the saw and file on my 20th Wave do stick out like Mats , I wonder if theres any difference between ours and yours

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 10:42:05 PM
Best pics I can find right now:

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 07:08:04 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Dunc's 20th Wave is defective and he needs to send it to me for safe keeping.   :rofl:

I am going to look at the date codes and A & B on my Original Waves when I get a chance.   Seems like I remember seeing the A & B on mine like Top-Gear's. 

Bruce

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:22:54 PM
I have got hold of a standard 2004 old wave which has identical liner locks to the Anniversary Wave and the file and saw don't stick up  :think: I'm stumped.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:46 PM
Well well well , I contacted Leatherman regarding this thread and they were very quick to come back with an answer  :tu:
Hi Duncan! This answer is straight from our engineering dept:

"The plastic insert was to help prevent the blade from getting dull when forced into the pocket hard.  The material is UHMW…cutting board material.

The liner lock was changed as part of a project to increase the handle strength.  The difference in “height” of the saw and file is not a direct result of that.  It pretty much just demonstrates the variability of the manufacturing process of folding the handles."

So it's down to variability in manufacturing , I wonder if all the anniversary wave handles were made in the same batch so that would explain why so many of them are like it and the normal ones are not.

Thanks Leatherman for answering the question

And Bruce you were right all along  :salute:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:12:19 PM by Dunc »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24