Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What I've been carrying through hurricane sandy.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

What I've been carrying through hurricane sandy.
on: November 01, 2012, 02:11:51 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to share what I've been carrying through sandy. I love on the shoreline in ct and we got hit hard. My first thought was gather essentials in one area. Knives, multi tools, trusty zippo lighter and flashlights. I've been using my surefire 6px pro, mini mag with terralux 5tle-ex upgrade and streamlight stylus pro daily, depending on what I'm doing. Also have been using my leatherman wave daily as it carries everything I need when I'm on the go, whether its helping a neighbor or whatnot. It helped me setup a bunch of stuff without having to keep running back up the road. Also have carried my cabelas d2 benchmark griptilian and spyderco salt I. My edc sebenza has sadly taken a back seat to this storm. But my 98% carry is a wave with pocket clip and streamlight stylus pro. Great combo. My wave has always been my go to if I think I need more than a knife for the day or if I'm going fishing. My surge has been carried a little but sometimes its too much for what I need. Sorry for the pointless post, I've been without power since Monday morning and I'm a bit bored! No work, no school, no power.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: What I've been carrying through hurricane sandy.
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:19 PM
When the rubber hits the road, the LM Wave/Charge really shines.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 02:56:46 PM
It's always good to read about peoples real usage of tools. Hope everything is ok.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:03:17 PM
Everything is fine. No power, cable/Internet/phone. Thank god for my iPhone 4S. My reptiles are a bit cold, but I'm doing the best I can. The leatherman helped me prepare my neighbors yard removing hardware off things, cutting rope for me to fasten a tarp to cover essentials like her grill etc, so she could use it while raining, among other things. I would love to get a charge tti. I feel like that would be my multi tool equivalent to my carbon fiber sebenza I edc. I love the pocket clip on them. If my surge had a pocket clip that didn't turn 45° I would probably carry it more often. I do have to say though, my victorinox SAKs/swisstool have leatherman beat in the saw category.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:21:07 PM
Interesting to hear what you chose. We make up all sorts of reasons for carrying this or that for EDC, so I'm always curious to see what people choose when they need their multitool.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
IME, the LM saw works better with kiln dried wood.  For green wood, wet wood, etc the Vic saw is FAR superior.

us Offline cannonball

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:07 AM
I carried a Wave and a Vic 111mm soldier. No outage, just small branches came down.

Just last week I had cut down 6 questionable 100+ foot trees. Thank goodness. Last year during Hurricane Irene we had a 100 foot oak tear thru the roof, attic, 2nd floor, 1st floor. It took out 2 cars also damaged our out building. It missed my wife by 5 feet.

I loved living in the woods, but after last years experience, I'm not so sure any more.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 01:03:48 AM
Irene hit us hard too, but not as bad as sandy. Still no power. Going on 4 days now.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:05:59 AM
I'm interested to hear why you won't carry the sebenza during the storm time.

If you got a charge tti, would you be leaving that with the sebenza while you carry the grip and wave?

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:33:08 AM
I carry one or the other. Usually just a multi tool. I keep my wave clipped in my pocket. And my sebenza is my edc, but I I'm letting other people use it is rather not lend that out to someone who may mos use it while I'm working elsewhere. It's been hectic here. Plus, I wanted to see what how the wave would hold up. I've gotten some flat spots in it from cutting a ton of rope.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%