Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Man Bags

Teofilo · 119 · 26246

Poll

What Man-Bags Do You EDC?

Sling Bag
28 (15.6%)
Back Pack
79 (44.1%)
Belt Bag
8 (4.5%)
Clutch Bag
2 (1.1%)
Messenger Bag
54 (30.2%)
other bags
8 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 125

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Re: Man Bags
Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:13 PM
Wenger School Pack..for Me...Btween the Kids and I in service for well over 4 years now
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 12:20:56 AM
Any own a 5.11 tactical moab 6 or 10?  I'm taking a keen liking to mine.  :D

I'm pretty tall and it fits me well. My other bag i'm pretty partial to is my maxped jumbo in black. It has went thru 3 trips to disneyworld..the last trip it rained every damn day. Kept everything dry thanks to the pull string inside.

The one here is the moab 10 in khaki. It went to brownsville and corpus christi last week as my walk around bag. Wore it all thru the day while touring the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Twas comfy the whole day. Had my camera, hoodie, water bottle and some random paperwork in it. Haven't carried it in any weather so can't report on its water shedding capabilities as of yet. Shouldn't be long here in Texas though.  ::)

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 09:21:49 PM
I carry a 511 Rush 12 daily, have been for over a year now.  Fantastic bag.

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 12:38:57 PM
I use a Waterfield Cargo for my laptop carry and a Tom Bihn Synapse for outdoor use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 12:45:58 PM

Maxpedition MPB.   I don't carry a man purse.  This one stays in my vehicle.  I like to fly below the radar, so I go with the non-tactical look, and no patches, etc.

Offline Stonerman33

• New User
Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 01:23:50 AM
Hazard4 Kato for me most of the time, but I tend to switch it out to a swissgear backpack when the weather warms up and I do more of my commuting on my motorcycle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:43 AM
I carry a backpack  if I carry a bag at all.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:37 PM
While it's not a 'man bag', I carry a Piel hobo sling, which can either be slung over one shoulder, or the main strap unzips down the middle to be worn like a backpack. It's plain black with very heavy leather and solid hardware, and holds a good deal of stuff.

It looks very innocuous, has high versatility, and after having it for 4 or 5 years, I'm seeing no appreciable wear on it.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 03:02:15 PM
First of all, I apologize for not posting here for months. I had a quite busy time...

Anyhow, I have different bags for my stuff, so I can pick whatever I need. Most of my bags are Messenger bags, Crumpler and Oakley. I like to keep my stuff organized, and so I love bags with plenty of room and pockets.
When I need a backbag, I use my Orthovox from Switzerland or a Crumpler, but for some reasons backbags never seem to have as many pockets as messenger style bags.

I´m just thinking of getting a new "daddy" EDC bag, but I can not decide what would suit me best for that purpose. I had a look at Maxpedition and 5.11 Versipacks and Gearslingers, but even after watching and reading literally dozens of reviews I can not decide. While choosing a workbag is quite easy, my laptop and documents determine the minimal size, I´m unsure what bag is large enough to fit my needs, but small enough to stay a lightweight EDC. I tend to stuff my bags, so a large bag means a lot of redundant stuff inside. I just checked my Crumpler workbag, and discovered 4 SAK, 2 MT, 2 Flashlights, spare batteries, 2 FAK, ... Guess I´ll have to do a lot more research on that topic to find my minimalist daddy EDC bag.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:41 PM
I carry a Synapse 19 for EDC. I had a Waterfield messenger but the strap was just the smallest bit too short. I looked at the Maxped bags and the like, but I'm not into the tacticool thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 08:29:21 PM
Started carrying a Red Oxx Rock Hopper, and I'm kicking myself for not getting one earlier. It's pretty much perfect for my day-to-day needs in size and features, and it's not bogged down by crap and features I never use anyway.

us Offline getahl

Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:40 PM
On workdays, I carry a green, Reebok branded gym bag. I guess it is technically a duffel, and holds a towel, my laptop, change if clothes, shower shoes, toiletries, a 32 oz Napgene, weight gloves, and various bits and bobs. It is a piece of crap; it is seven months old; at the three month mark, the stitching that separates the main compartment and one of the side pockets came undone. I cut out the remaining fabric (with a Vic Classic, no less) to effectively expand the main compartment. I will use it until it craps out.

I also have a Jansport backpack that has held up since college very nicely. It must be 11 years old now, and has some obvious wear and tear, but no appreciable damage, and none of the zippers bind up. The compartments are waterproof too; I didn't lose my laptop when a Monster energy drink burst in a separate pocket. I was very happy with this turn of events.

Both bags are with me in Key West at the moment. Both are great carryon size.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:07 PM
First of all, I apologize for not posting here for months. I had a quite busy time...

Anyhow, I have different bags for my stuff, so I can pick whatever I need. Most of my bags are Messenger bags, Crumpler and Oakley. I like to keep my stuff organized, and so I love bags with plenty of room and pockets.
When I need a backbag, I use my Orthovox from Switzerland or a Crumpler, but for some reasons backbags never seem to have as many pockets as messenger style bags.

I´m just thinking of getting a new "daddy" EDC bag, but I can not decide what would suit me best for that purpose. I had a look at Maxpedition and 5.11 Versipacks and Gearslingers, but even after watching and reading literally dozens of reviews I can not decide. While choosing a workbag is quite easy, my laptop and documents determine the minimal size, I´m unsure what bag is large enough to fit my needs, but small enough to stay a lightweight EDC. I tend to stuff my bags, so a large bag means a lot of redundant stuff inside. I just checked my Crumpler workbag, and discovered 4 SAK, 2 MT, 2 Flashlights, spare batteries, 2 FAK, ... Guess I´ll have to do a lot more research on that topic to find my minimalist daddy EDC bag.

Hey Woz, good to see you back buddy. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:56 AM

Hey Woz, good to see you back buddy. :cheers:

Thank you, ist feels good to be back Gareth.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 04:28:44 PM
I am now starting to think about a Messenger Bag d=from Mission Workshop

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 05:37:44 PM
MW are just about the best out there. If you're not an organization freak, that is; you only get two external 3-d pockets and a couple of flat internal ones (under the outside zip) and that's all. The main pocket can get quite deep, what with the rolltop and all, but that's also the main shortcoming of this bag: reaching in to the main compartment while wearing the bag is not that easy... That said, my Rummy is the most comfortable of my pack of messengers; the magic is all in the shoulder strap configuration and its fixed wide pad.

If you're into messengers, I'd suggest having a look at Greenroom136; Patrick is great to work with and their bags are top notch. I find myself going back to my waxed Heretic for day-to-day jobs, and even plan to use it as my sole bag in an upcoming trip to Budapest (the Rummy and a couple of Bagaboos used to be my go-to bags before getting the Heretic).

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 04:53:51 PM
I think I will be ok on the Organizational Front, I like to keep items like my First Aid kit and such in their own cases to help prevent damage and if I just want to carry on particular item..I ride a Motorcycle and that is what interests me the most, that and the Durability Factor.The Wenger had held up marvelously especially considering what I paid for it (If I remember correctly about 50 Dollars). I will say that it has seen a bit of Repair by myself as needed and I had to re vamp the straps because of the plastic buckles breaking..Nut overall as hard as I have been on it I am pleased, I am being realistic though and realize that nothing lasts forever and the time has come to start seriously looking for a replacement. For me the Bag is not an EDC BAg or a Bug Out Bag or even a Get Home Bag, more of what I would like to call an ALL PURPOSE BAG. It carries what I feel and have discovered I need on a Daily Basis as A Driver, Dad, Husband, Friend, or Good Citizen with just enough to keep me warm dry and safe if I had to take a really long walk in some kind of Disaster

Dtrain

us Offline Pacu

Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 05:17:28 PM
hard use update on the moab 10 by 5.11 tactical.

Use it every night at work for totin my snacks, paper work and some tools

It has survived the great smoky mountains, a trip up to NYC, Mobile Alabama, rainy new jersey, the Bronx, and will soon be on my back for six weeks in Austin, one in Lafayette, and a two week trip up to Chicago for work.

the moab 10 gets my  :tu:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:15 PM
 All I carry is a wallet, SAK, AA light, comb, keys, flip phone (go ahead and laugh), sunglasses and wrist watch. I have no need for a tacticool murse.

But if I was carrying more stuff, I’d opt for a simple backpack because it’s innocuous in the place I live. In a business environment, I’d opt for a briefcase. Environment determines the method of carry.

Innocuousness is key.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:33:09 PM by shamus »

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 05:11:14 PM
Still on my search for my replacement, I patched up the Wenger and with the addition of two kitty liter jugs with the tops cut off and stacked have added to the water resistance, protection, and organization of said bag

us Offline Pacu

Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 08:36:19 PM
thinking about picking up another carry bag ....I like the maxped jumbo good enough...love my 5.11 moab 10 but wish it held more.

Recommend me a bag someone...I like sling bags, im 6'5 about 220...maybe the maxped monsoon or Sitka.  Afraid Sitka may look silly on someone as big as me...

needs to hold standard size notebook like a composition book, maybe a water bottle holder, needs to be built like a brick sh...well u know. Room for a jacket when taken off, random stuff like a 7 inch tablet, maybe a 13-14 inch laptop every now and then. Mainly throw keys, pharmaceuticals snacks , drinks, last minute tools in it for the long worknight. 

I think a sling bag as it wont garnish up the wisecracks of manpurse at work like let's say a maxped colossus would get me.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 12, 2013, 09:42:11 PM
Recommend me a bag someone...I like sling bags, im 6'5 about 220...maybe the maxped monsoon or Sitka.  Afraid Sitka may look silly on someone as big as me...

needs to hold standard size notebook like a composition book, maybe a water bottle holder, needs to be built like a brick sh...well u know. Room for a jacket when taken off, random stuff like a 7 inch tablet, maybe a 13-14 inch laptop every now and then. Mainly throw keys, pharmaceuticals snacks , drinks, last minute tools in it for the long worknight. 

I think a sling bag as it wont garnish up the wisecracks of manpurse at work like let's say a maxped colossus would get me.

*ahem* ;)
 http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Shop/Backpacks

us Offline Pacu

Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:34 PM

*ahem* ;)
 http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Shop/Backpacks

nice...very nice...but the wife would catch several hundred $ missing fairly quick.  Id be homeless divorced livng in a van down by the river....but what a nice backpack.  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 02:59:46 AM
I've been using the Maxpedition Jumbo EDC S-Type for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm fine with the 800 cordura material, versus the standard 1000. I find the waterbottle holder a tad less useful than I thought it would be, but great when I'm on walks/hikes.

Otherwise, space is fine, and it handles about a 10 pound load pretty effortlessly, and carries very comfortably.

There is a weirdness where the main compartment's flap doesn't always cover the entire compartment (exposing a bit on the sides), so the possibility exists that rain could get on stuff inside, although in reality, I've never encountered the problem. Then again, I don't feel a great need to hike in the rain.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 11:37:40 AM
thinking about picking up another carry bag ....I like the maxped jumbo good enough...love my 5.11 moab 10 but wish it held more.

I'm somewhere around 6'2" and I'm very happy with my Red Oxx Rock Hopper, just to make a little different suggestion.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:11 AM
At 6' 5", you need a Maxpedition Kodiak.  :salute:
G

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 01:11:28 PM
I've been using the Maxpedition Jumbo EDC S-Type for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm fine with the 800 cordura material, versus the standard 1000. I find the waterbottle holder a tad less useful than I thought it would be, but great when I'm on walks/hikes.

Otherwise, space is fine, and it handles about a 10 pound load pretty effortlessly, and carries very comfortably.

There is a weirdness where the main compartment's flap doesn't always cover the entire compartment (exposing a bit on the sides), so the possibility exists that rain could get on stuff inside, although in reality, I've never encountered the problem. Then again, I don't feel a great need to hike in the rain.
It should have an extra cover inside that you can draw up to keep stuff from getting wet.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 07:25:26 PM
No, the lighter 'EDC' version doesn't have the rain fly. The regular version does, though.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:22 PM
I kind of miss when it was easy to find Czech 'Bread Bags" in local surplus stores. As it is, I actually really like my old Osprey Warp, which looks good, holds lots, and isn't huge. It's a shame they stopped making it.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 11:22:58 PM
I normally carry a sling pack from MEC, Canadians will know what MEC is.
Leatherman

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD