Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Balance Review

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Gerber Balance Review
on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:32 PM
Not everyone can carry around a tool with a one hand opening locking blade all day, and people all round the world face various restrictions on what knives they can legally carry and when. It’s therefore a refreshing change to see a manufacturer bring a new product to market which can be appreciated and carried by a wider audience. Gerber’s new Balance multitool seems very much to have been built for the urban user.

Overall the Gerber Balance has a sense of civility about it. There’s just nothing “tactical” about this tool, even the flicky pliers ... don’t flick! Instead they slide out very smoothly with a central button.

The deployed pliers do look a little small when compared to the rest of the tool, and indeed they are lighter duty than what you might find on a similar sized tool such as a Leatherman Kick, MP400, or Victorinox Spirit, but in effect they are about the same size as the perfectly capable pliers on a Leatherman Juice. The more observant may have also noticed the closed position of the handles when the jaws are closed. This DOES have the potential to be a little pinchy at times if you have fleshy palms, but not on the same level as the vicious original Multipliers. So far it has not caused me a problem – but then I’ve not had the tool long. The head shape seems good for general utility, and the anvil style wire cutters seem well made and worked fine, leaving only a few fine strands unsnipped as anvil pliers often do.

All tools on the balance are non-locking, and although the backsprings do feel rather soft, I’ve had no issues as yet with inadvertent closure. One side houses a combo edged blade, the plain edged section of which has a fair bit of belly to make it a useful slicer.

The only real niggle being the fact that the nail nick is so close to the pivot making it harder to deploy than could be necessary. However, with the knife deployed, the scale cut-out to access the nail nick does make a comfortable place to rest your index finger to keep it away from the knife edge – so this may have actually been intentional

Alongside the knife blade is the first dedicated bit driver. Unfortunately both drivers take  proprietary 3/16" hex bits, and it appears compatible bits may not be commercially available at this time. The driver came armed with a double ended bit sporting a 4mm flat and what looks like a #1 Philips. Being non-locking I was wary of the potential for the driver closing under use, but both bits and the holder were secure enough for me to tighten the hinges, adjust the strike plate and remove the handle from the office door for no reason whatsoever. One day I’ll get to the bottom of why I keep getting funny looks at work!

The other side houses scissors, and in typical Gerber fashion these work perfectly fine on a range of materials. The small thumb pad makes the scissors easier to retrieve and more comfortable to use – a welcome step up from the normal multiplier scissors. Alongside these lies the second bit driver. This one comes preloaded with a small Philips bit suitable for opening up electronics, and a small flat driver on the other end which works excellently on spectacles. The base of the driver arm has a bottle opener, and it works – not the most efficient opener I’ve ever used, but effective enough. The final tool is a nice little pair of angled tweezers, tucked away in the scale at the pliers end.

Overall the tool feels ergonomic and reassuring. It doesn’t feel like a tool you can conquer the world with, but it does feel like it’s not going to let you down as a daily use urban pocket tool – and a pocket tool it is – no sheath or lanyard attachment came with the tool. I think it’s lovely coating isn’t going to be lovely for very long though. I threw mine in a pocket as soon as I received it, and within a few hours of sharing pocket space with car keys, coins and a pocket clipped knife the first few tiny flecks of metal beneath the coating were starting to show. Carried alone in a pocket it will probably last a long time, but rattled alongside keys and coins the scratches are liable to come thick and fast.

Initial impressions are that this tool could be a real winner for Gerber. The Balance is a good solid pocket tool for urban carry. A few years ago Gerber discontinued what they called their Urban Legend, the MP700. This tool is pretty much the same size in all directions, with all the same tool choices, but with a non-locking two handed blade to meet the urban restrictions that many people face today.

Has the Urban Legend been reborn? Will it acquire the “go to” pocket tool status that the MP700 strived for, but never achieved? Only time will tell.

Pros:
A very ergonomic tool to hold
High quality feel
Integrated bit drivers

Cons:
Soft back springs
Awkward nail nick on knife blade
Driver bits are non-standard
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:00:11 PM by Gareth »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber Balance Review
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:50:43 PM
Great review Al,it might make it to my Christmass list :tu:

:twak:Now hurry up with the pix :twak:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:00 PM
Cheers John,

Pics will probably be next week mate. I've a busy schedule in front of me at the me  :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:54:57 PM
Cheers John,

Pics will probably be next week mate. I've a busy schedule in front of me at the me  :salute:

Always the tease,arn't you
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:59 AM
Cheers John,

Always the tease,arn't you

You've got me feeling guilty now yer bugger!!! :twak: :twak:  :P

OK, hang on a bit ...... quick phone pics coming so Kirky can sleep tonight ...  :whistle:

EDIT: Quick pics up John - hope to get some prettier ones later  :tu:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:28:45 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:01 AM
Nice review, Al!  :salute:  A quick  :twak: to you though - reading one of your reviews resulted in my getting a Deluxe Tinker, and a Balance is all but assured of joining the family now.....   ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:26 AM
Great review!  I liked the Balance when I saw it- it's different but it's not.  Different enough that it stands out but not so different (like the Fit for example) that no one knows what to do with it.

In my mind its the modern embodiment of the Juice series- or at least what they were intended to be.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:48 AM
Great review!  I liked the Balance when I saw it- it's different but it's not.  Different enough that it stands out but not so different (like the Fit for example) that no one knows what to do with it.

In my mind its the modern embodiment of the Juice series- or at least what they were intended to be.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Funny you should mention the Fit - I actually cut a chunk out of the review as it was getting a little overburdoned, and it was all about the Fit. Take the pliers away from the Balance and replace it with a flashlight, and that's exactly what you've got ... in short ...

Combo edged blade with the nail nick too high up, hex bit driver with cap lifter on the arm (the Balance's driver arms are far superior due to their one piece construction - but the Fit's bottle opener is better). One large philips for general screws plus a smaller one for electronics. One medium flat for general, and one smaller one which also fits spectacles. Scissors with the little thumb tab and the same spring arrangement, and even a pair of tweezers tucked inside too. The designs on all the components on the Balance are better, and all the tools lock on the Fit barring the two smaller drivers.

I quite like the Fit not just for the tool array, but it's also a very nice floody light and a very useful glove compartment item
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:32:12 AM by 50ft-trad »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:20 AM
great review mate.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:49 AM
Nice review, Al!  :salute:  A quick  :twak: to you though - reading one of your reviews resulted in my getting a Deluxe Tinker, and a Balance is all but assured of joining the family now.....   ;)

I'm pretty sure you'd like this little feller, Tom. In fact I think there's a few here that would  :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:25:54 AM
 :tu:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:21 AM

Thanks Gareth,

So what colour are you getting?  :whistle:

>:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:28:18 PM

Thanks Gareth,

none yet, I'm totally brassic right now. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:59 PM

Thanks Gareth,

.. or simply not inebriated enough last time you went online browsing   >:D When you have trouble holding your head up and start inadvertently typing with your face, that's a good time to keep away from Amazon etc ... or at least that's the conclusion I came to after buying another CS4  :rofl:

I'm very glad I took the plunge on the Balance though. It's one I had been talking myself out of for a while. Getting this and selling some other stuff was for sure the right move - though I didn't necessarily do those two in the right order  :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:59 PM

Thanks Gareth,

.. or simply not inebriated enough last time you went online browsing   >:D When you have trouble holding your head up and start inadvertently typing with your face, that's a good time to keep away from Amazon etc ... or at least that's the conclusion I came to after buying another CS4  :rofl:

I'm very glad I took the plunge on the Balance though. It's one I had been talking myself out of for a while. Getting this and selling some other stuff was for sure the right move - though I didn't necessarily do those two in the right order  :whistle:
:rofl:

I absolutely cannot go spending anything right now, this little toy has taking all of my "me" money for quite a while to come. :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:54:07 PM by Gareth »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:00:28 PM
That's a beauty  :tu: My BSA Lightening has been quite active lately on pest control at work after everyone has gone home. Not as sleek as that one of yours mate, but does the job nicely  :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 10:27:34 PM
Looks like we might need to get a pellet trap for the next meet-up and do some shooting. ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:04 PM
If Kirky's available I'm sure he'd be up for that too  :tu:

You'll have to stop me getting too zoned in though, mate. I wouldn't want to get into that pest control state of mind. You'll all laugh at me when I run up to the pellet trap swear loudly and give it a couple of whacks with the fat end after every shot  :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:12 PM

You'll have to stop me getting too zoned in though, mate. I wouldn't want to get into that pest control state of mind. You'll all laugh at me when I run up to the pellet trap swear loudly and give it a couple of whacks with the fat end after every shot  :whistle:

You mean your not supposed to do that? :think:

That explains a lot!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:03 PM
Nice thorough review!  One positive is there appears to be quite a bit of reach with the 2 bit drivers  :tu:
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:55 PM

You mean your not supposed to do that? :think:

That explains a lot!

No wonder I've been getting some funny looks at the club. :-[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:28 PM
Nice thorough review!  One positive is there appears to be quite a bit of reach with the 2 bit drivers  :tu:

Thanks sawman ... yes and no ... great for getting at some screws that are hard to reach, but with some smaller screws I've found they can often be recessed in a hole not much bigger than the screw head, which means the bit will fit but the driver won't. In those instances the Fit is the better tool as it's small drivers are slender enough to reach - unless you have some extra long bits handy. That's one benefit a lanyard attachment would have been - you could have attached a pill fob with additional bits in. For most applications though you're absolutely right  :tu:

I think I maybe need to keep my eyes open for a Cybertool 29 now. Minimal redundancy between the two, but complimentary drivers, an awl, corkscrew, can opener ... a modded CT41 with scissors and pliers removed adds a saw and file to the mix ... hmmmm ... what to pair it with :think: 

Offline Max Archer

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:02 AM
Wait, your Balance has different sized drivers? Both of mine are the same size! The bits themselves are different but either bit will fit in either driver. Only one of my driver arms has a bottle opener so they haven't somehow started using two of the same arm, either.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:49 PM
Wait, your Balance has different sized drivers? Both of mine are the same size! The bits themselves are different but either bit will fit in either driver. Only one of my driver arms has a bottle opener so they haven't somehow started using two of the same arm, either.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh You're RIGHT!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

How on earth did I miss THAT!?!?  :facepalm:
I'll tweak the review ASAP and ask a Mod to amend the OP  :salute:
Thank you for pointing out that faux pas - I can't believe I didn't spot it :doh:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:49 PM
I've not forgotten ... I just need to find my measuring tackle  :-\
The bits are smaller than a standard bit, but larger than those in a cybertool. I'll confirm exactly when I dig out my 0-25 micrometer

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 06:01:19 PM
 :rofl:

I had to have a little chuckle to myself on this one ...

I decided rather than me guessing and giving duff info again  :oops: I'd be better off speaking to Gerber direct. I went to their website, but it diverted me to the UK site which only lists the UK agent's phone number. I gave them a call anyway and put the question of size and availability of replacement/compatible bits to them. They didn't know.   :-\ I asked them for the phone number of Gerber HQ in the states so I could ask them directly. They didn't know it.  :P

The lady on the phone decided to check on the website and also got diverted back to their website with her own number  :rofl: She eventually gave me a switchboard number, but when I dialled the right numbers on the automated answering service I kept ending up on the voicemail for the warranty department  :ahhh :ahhh

Eventually I got hold of the phone number for customer service off the net and gave them a call. The guy in CS answered that as far as he knew they were proprietary bits (both drivers) and that they were not commercially available seperately but probably covered by their warranty service, then asked if I was looking to sell the tools (I assume he meant as a dealer). I replied that I was a customer who had already bought the tool and wanted to get the most out of it, and that if replacement/compatable driver bits weren't available it would limit the effectiveness and versatility of a tool they had designed to take replaceable bits. I also said I was trying to do a review for an online tool forum (I didn't specify MTo), and asked him to confirm for definite whether these were non-standard bits.

He didn't know - but said he'd check  :rofl: :rofl:

He then collared one of the New Product Development Team to ask them for the elusive information

They didn't know either - but said they'd check  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They've taken my phone number and said they'd get back to me  :popcorn:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:17 PM
I guess I'll just have to check back on this thread later. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 07:20:07 PM
I've found my micrometer :nanadance:

They measure 4.76mm A/F (across flats) which is 3/16" - an odd size indeed :think:

I'm still expecting a call from Gerber though ....  :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:01 AM
I've found my micrometer :nanadance:

They measure 4.76mm A/F (across flats) which is 3/16" - an odd size indeed :think:

I'm still expecting a call from Gerber though ....   :whistle:

:wait:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:53 AM
So the Balance cannot take 1/4" bits at all?  That is a little disappointing. :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%