Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Burg's Eye View: Leatherman Micra Review

burger · 25 · 5866

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Burg's Eye View: Leatherman Micra Review
on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:32 PM
I have been reading the reviews in this forum for quite sometime now and I found it very educational and entertaining. So I decided to sign up and create a review of my own. I’m sure my MT collection will seem miniscule compared to the veterans here but nonetheless I enjoy using and tinkering with them.

Speaking of “miniscule”, I’d like to kick off my first entry with my "impression" of the Leatherman Micra. The Micra is Leatherman’s premier Keychain tool. I own several of these and I leave them stashed inside several of my bags so that it’s always around when I need it. I would have made this my EDC if it wasn’t for an already beat up Squirt S4 that’s attached to my key ring. Anyway, on with the review…

The Micra follows the traditional Leatherman shape reminiscent of my PST.  The outside is very boxy with the middle seam very flush. I like the way that the handles are spring loaded so that they keep the tool shut when not in use. I with that all my Leatherman would “behave” like that. Moving on to the inside, the main tool is a spring loaded scissor that handles minor cutting tasks fairly well i.e. wires, strings, paper, and the occasional packaging material (as-in chips!). I like the way that it has a solid spring back action that gives it a tactile feel when cutting. I’m just not sure why there is a bit of “over bite” at the tip, both while in use and when folded, as opposed to my Squirt S4 which end in a neatly pointed tip in both modes. Speaking of which, I noticed that the Squirt S4 and some of my Micras have “Leatherman Tool” written on the scissors while my other Micras have “Leatherman USA” written on them. No noticeable difference to the functionality or sharpness though.

The other Micra tool complements are:

•   Bottle opener with an extra small screwdriver tip – This one you can use to tighten your glasses’ screw while on the go or to punch holes on squeeze tube tips as-in epoxy tubes or dog vitamins.
•   Flat head screw drivers – there is a medium flat head driver and a flat head Phillips driver. This is somewhat of a conundrum since on one hand it makes a good small screw driver but on the other hand, it’s just a “meh” – Phillips driver. Although, I like the way that it’s etched “for Phillips” for those of us who think that they didn’t include a Phillips head but just 3 types of flat head.
•   Nail File with a Nail Cleaner tip – This is the reason why I consider this a “Personal Grooming Kit” - Along with the tweezers and the scissors that can be used as nail cutters!
•   420HC Knife – Well, I wouldn’t really call this a knife, it’s more of a blade or an extremely sharp toothpick. Good for cutting light packaging material or for poking holes at something.
•   Tweezers – From the outside it seems like its “outside-accessible” but its not. If only they made the tweezers swing the other way, then I would have had a one-handed deploying tweezers for those times when I need to get that pesky splinter out immediately. Kidding aside they work well but may break-off if bent the wrong way when it gets snagged.
•   Believe it or not, the Micra has one outside accessible tool – a 5” Ruler!

Overall this a well built mini tool that should prove as a good EDC for light users. In my case it’s the back up to my back up since I don’t want to scratch it’s shiny surface just yet. I highly recommend this tool for anybody who wants to be prepared and well groomed, or as a niche tool for modelers or sewing enthusiast.

PROS:
•   Well built.
•   Useful complement of tools.
•   Throwback design.

Cons (None really, this is just nit picking)
•   “Overbite” on the scissors
•   Flat head Philips
•    The colored ones I had did have a tendency to get scratched, just like the Squirt. I had a couple of Micras that were plastic coated. These have a tendency to get scratched, making the outside look dull. It may even crack or break if man-handled.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:45:25 PM by burger »
I am a Traveller.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Re: Burg's Eye View: Leatherman Micra Review
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:10 PM
Nice review.
I love my Micra's, especially the stainless variety that come very highly polished (there's a lesser-polished, almost brushed stainless variety too). I like to add a toothpick into the tweezer-prong space.

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:57 PM
Hi neillcurrie, now that you mentioned it, I did notice that some of my Micras come in a gray "satin" finish much like the blades on my Super Tool 300. Btw, a toothpick in the tweezer-prong space does sound like a good idea. That would make the Micra an 11-tool tool! I could probably get one from my Swiss Army key chains! Thanks!
I am a Traveller.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:05:40 AM
That's a very nice first post. Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

When you find the time, drop by our New Member Forum and tell us a bit about yourself so we can give you a proper MTO welcome. :D

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:22 AM
Hi neillcurrie, now that you mentioned it, I did notice that some of my Micras come in a gray "satin" finish much like the blades on my Super Tool 300. Btw, a toothpick in the tweezer-prong space does sound like a good idea. That would make the Micra an 11-tool tool! I could probably get one from my Swiss Army key chains! Thanks!

I actually carve most of my toothpicks from a (used) Plackers. There's a toothpick end to the Plackers. However, the toothpick from a 58mm SAK fits almost perfectly......you just need to whittle the head of the toothpick down appropriately.

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:23:15 AM
I don't frequent the Review Forum but I was drawn here by your intro post. Nice review :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:31:14 AM
I actually carve most of my toothpicks from a (used) Plackers. There's a toothpick end to the Plackers. However, the toothpick from a 58mm SAK fits almost perfectly......you just need to whittle the head of the toothpick down appropriately.

That seems like a better idea than canibalizing my SAK. I will just cut off the floss thigy at the end and maybe whittle my disposable toothpick at home to make myself a Micra Toothpick! You just saved me $3 right there neillcurrie! Thanks!
I am a Traveller.

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:33:40 AM
I don't frequent the Review Forum but I was drawn here by your intro post. Nice review :tu:

Thanks stealth007s! I answered your query in the other thread.  :tu:
I am a Traveller.

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:09 AM
That's a very nice first post. Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

When you find the time, drop by our New Member Forum and tell us a bit about yourself so we can give you a proper MTO welcome. :D

Done and done! Thanks for the warm welcome enki_ck!
I am a Traveller.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 04:46:06 PM
Welcome, and very nice review :tu:  I keep my red Micra on my keychain now and don't really carry it on me like I used to, but it is a great little tool, and good for personal grooming like you said.  I actually broke off one of the tweezer prongs fairly easily (intentional though as I wanted to file the remaining prong to a needle-like point since I wasn't a big fan of the tweezers). 
K-Tibbs

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 05:17:42 PM
Welcome, and very nice review :tu:  I keep my red Micra on my keychain now and don't really carry it on me like I used to, but it is a great little tool, and good for personal grooming like you said.  I actually broke off one of the tweezer prongs fairly easily (intentional though as I wanted to file the remaining prong to a needle-like point since I wasn't a big fan of the tweezers).

Wow! so you effectively created the smallest Leatherman awl!  :multi: Nice.

Thanks for the Welcome Monrogue!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:20:31 PM by burger »
I am a Traveller.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 05:37:38 PM

Wow! so you effectively created the smallest Leatherman awl!  :multi: Nice.

Thanks for the Welcome Monrogue!

Yes, I guess I did, although I can't say that I could apply much force to it as it would bend/break somewhat easily I think, based on how easily I was able to bend the other prong right off.  If I grip it close to the tip though, it shouldn't be a problem.  More than likely it wouldn't really ever get used for any real awl type jobs as much as just a little needle thingy :think:
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:00:53 PM
Nice review burger, welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:04 PM
Very nice review burger!, Welcome to the Forum!!! Hope you like it here

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 02:28:14 PM
Nice review burger, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Thanks Gareth!
I am a Traveller.

ph Offline burger

• Say Cheeese!
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 02:29:23 PM
Very nice review burger!, Welcome to the Forum!!! Hope you like it here

Thank you Goatlord666! I like it here already!
I am a Traveller.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:56 PM
Pictures?
Leatherman

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 07:39:21 PM
Do you really need pictures? The internet is full of them and IMO this was a great review of the Micra that would gain little by their introduction.

If you're desperate for pictures, the main site's review has some: http://www.multitool.org/Leatherman-Tool-Group/Keychain-Tools/2007/01/21/micra.html

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 10:03:23 PM
 :worthless:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 12:48:20 AM
Until Brother Burger steps up with a pic, here's a fancy black and white pic that drives the chicks crazy with desire.  Shown with a Case Baby Butterbean.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:58 AM
Cool pic Powernoodle :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 05:05:14 AM
Dang powernoodle you almost gave me a heart attack. When I saw the picture I thought they finally made a BO Micra.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 11:40:55 AM
wow.

There are pictures and there's that.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 02:39:36 PM
 :drool:
Leatherman

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00