Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Balance Review

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Gerber Balance Review
Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:56 AM
 :D  The answer, Al, is  :twak: you did it to me again!  Sazabi has one off to the side for me as soon as I get the cash.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 06:43:21 AM
It isn't because it's not good enough....honest. ;)  Seriously; we have a good few things to go up and I believe this is one of them.

While i have not yet gotten one, i had the chance to visit my brother and he bought a balance as his very first MT. I am very impressed with it's build and profile. In fact, if you just gave it a good flik, the plier heads can be deployed in the said fashion. Definitely one MT worth the price and the effort!. And those scissors, man are they good.

You know where this post is going, right Gabriel?  >:D  I think the Balance is a great pocket tool.  It sees a lot of carry and use by me.  My brother also recently got his first real MT, and it was a Balance.  Wonder where he got that idea from?  :think:
  hahaha its amazing how all of these circumstances fall into place. well that is true this multitool will soon be on my hands hehehe

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:42 AM
:D  The answer, Al, is  :twak: you did it to me again!  Sazabi has one off to the side for me as soon as I get the cash.  :)

>:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:01 AM
A QUICK UPDATE:

Almost 12 months later, and the Gerber Balance is still going strong. This tool has been more of a hit with me than I originally thought, and not only have other tools been struggling to compete with it for pocket time, but so have Swiss Army Knives too. This is indeed a very "balanced" tool for urban carry. It's very pocketable, very capable, and very affordable.

The tool is now adourned with the wear and scratches of a faithful pocket tool, and is looking well for it in my opinion. There's a few minor nibbles and scratches on the Phillips driver from use, but everything is still in working order. I wouldn't say the tool has been used hard, but it has been used often.

Remember, there's no saw nor file nor awl, and this tool is not a heavy duty item. This is not a tool I would carry if I was setting out on a DIY project, or if going to work as a tradesman I wouldn't use this as a supporting tool necessarily to reduce the countless trips back to the van. In fact this tool is the one to pocket when you're not doing those things. This is the tool for about the house, about town, visiting friends and family. This is that tool for opening that stubborn snack in the park, or trimming that hangnail while waiting for the bus, and not causing a stampede with the sharpophobes. This is the tool my neighbour said he would rather carry over a Spirit or a Charge because the others are "too much" and the Balance does what he needs as well or better. (Cheap sod still hasn't bought one though)

I would say of all the items I've bought tool and knife wise over the last year or so, this is the one that's had the most "me" time. It's comfortable to carry and use, and does what is asked of it. I even bought another one recently as a spare, and I haven't done that since ... oh that's right, the MP700 ... the Urban Legend that has been denied pocket time for most of the year by it's successor which matches it tool for tool.

This one ...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #64 on: October 12, 2013, 12:28:58 AM
You really should be in sales. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: October 12, 2013, 12:31:33 AM
One of the many functions I've done over the years  ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: October 12, 2013, 12:33:30 AM
Mine doesn't see an awful lot of use,but when I traded it( to get the million dollar Wenger), I soon traded again to get it back :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: October 12, 2013, 09:40:37 AM
It did take me a little while to fully gel with it. There was something niggling me about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but whatever it was has long since gone. I'm still not completely sold on the blade shape, nor on the softness of the backspring, even though neither have given me any problems in use. It could however be an issue for someone less experienced with non-locking blades

I'm also slightly concerned about the scissors spring. It's a cheap design which seems to be cropping up quite a bit lately, and has been known to crap out on both the Dime and LM Styles/Squirts. Again, I've not had any problems with it whatsoever, but I can see this being a potential weakness down the line. I hope I'm wrong  :whistle:

The final thing I'd say is the drivers have been off-putting for some, due to the fact they don't take standard bits. I'm kind of torn on this issue. Being able to swap in other bits (torx, hex etc) for different jobs would be great, as would being able to replace the existing bits after heavy usage/wear. On the flip side, you've got 4 long reach drivers and a cap lifter in a relatively small space, and the chances/consequences of rendering the tool kaput by knackering a driver and not being able to replace it, is no worse than multitools with fitted drivers instead of bits :shrug:

Overall it works brilliantly for me as an "off-duty" tool, but I would (and do) swap for another tool if I'm expecting to have to do any serious work, when I'd be carrying for my Spirit or Charge AL or whatever else grabs my mood instead. This is more of a middle ground between carrying something like a Deluxe Tinker and a full sized pliers tool. I prefer Victorinox's blades and scissors, but much prefer the Balance's pliers and drivers  :)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #68 on: October 13, 2013, 01:00:31 AM
The Balance has seen a lot of pocket time here too.  The long reach of the drivers has been a plus on numerous occasions, the scissors suit me just fine, and the pliers are great for lighter work.  Gerber certainly has a winner here in my book.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #69 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:31 AM
If the balance held a 1/4 inch bit I'd try one.

looks like a cool tool 50ft-trad

thanks for all the information on it. :tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:41 PM
Thanks JA  :tu:

This morning I received a second Balance which I saw cheap on Amazon and decided to grab as a spare. Unfortunately there are a couple of issues on this one. One of the driver arms is slightly bent and doesn't sit where it should when stowed. No real problem as regards function, but there is another problem. The scissor spring (which I has my reservations about before) is duff on this one, and keeps popping out of position. It's kind of over sprung, sitting too high towards the moving arm and actually drops in behind the fixed arm (I'll try to get some piccies up to explain better). This means every time you get the scissors out, you have to pop the spring back to where it should be to use them.

This one was "last in stock" and will be going to Gerber's UK agent for replacement  :-\

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 05:05:07 PM
Pics ...
IMG-20131014-00152.jpg
* IMG-20131014-00152.jpg (Filesize: 87.52 KB)
IMG-20131014-00153.jpg
* IMG-20131014-00153.jpg (Filesize: 71.61 KB)
IMG-20131014-00154.jpg
* IMG-20131014-00154.jpg (Filesize: 88.42 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:35 PM
That Balance looks like it has been through the wringer! I know that pocket carry really wears on a tool, though (my Dime). It really speaks to the durability of the tool that it can ride along with you for a year but still function and be really useful. I'm digging it. I had almost written off the notion of getting my Wife a Balance for her purse carry in favor of a Juice CS4, but I am going to reconsider.

Good review and follow-up.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 07:03:03 PM
That's a shame Al. :-\  The fact it was 'last in stock' does make me wonder if they knew it was a duffer and had held it on the shelf.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: October 14, 2013, 08:04:03 PM
Yeah, me too  :D I'm not too concerned though, as even factoring in postage to Livingstone to get it sorted I still got a cracking deal on it  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD