Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT.O Prybar

Tofty · 111 · 29713

gb Offline Tofty

MT.O Prybar
on: November 04, 2012, 05:53:47 PM
At the last UK meet up i was talking to sparky415 about prybars and he put forward a number of interesting and original ideas and suggestions on the subject.
After finally getting round to printing my prybar i contacted Sparky again about his ideas and the possibility of putting together a printed prototype.
With his design input i set about putting together a simple yet useful prybar based around improving the original widgy bar.

This is what we came up:

Including the MT.O logo with the O has a useable 1/4" hex driver was Sparky's great idea, but as he pointed out could be a source of contention.
I contacted Grant and Travis to make sure it was ok and not only did they like it but gave some design input aswell, so here it is, the Official MT.O Prybar.

This single-piece tool can be used as a prybar and nail lifting tool, but also has a range of metric hex drivers (2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 5.5 and 7mm), a bottle opener and a 1/4" hex bit driver.
An o-ring can be installed in the tail to help secure a hex bit (8mm ID, 2.5mm section).
The prybar can be secured to a keychain or lanyard with a No.2 McGizmo clip or similar 25mm gate clip through the 1/4" hex hole or with a small split ring through the MT.O dot.

Due to future manufacturing considerations i have designed this tool with two different thicknesses: 3mm and 5mm. The first picture shows the thinner tool and the second picture shows the thicker version.

Both these models are up on shapeways, just search for 'MT.O Prybar' or click here (3mm) or here (5mm)
As this is a community project, no commission has been added to the price but they're still expensive so i plan to have a number ofthese tools cut from high grade stainless blade steel in the near future.

In the mean time i've ordered a prototype from shapeways and when it arrives and is proven to meet requirements i'll start a pass-around thread for it.

Please feel free to leave any suggestions and/or feedback, both positive and negative.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:55:22 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline kitbeard

Re: MT.O Prybar
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03:15 PM
I'm impressed.  I particularly like the 5mm version - I like thicker OPMTs more than the thinner tools - but both versions seem to be well thought through with a good number of functions and what seems to be carefully considered ergonomics.  I think this one that I will get round to ordering.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:22 PM
One of each for me! :gimme:

I think I may be the first order in! :woohoo:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:22 PM
BTW, I LOVE how the wrench is designed.  Very clever. :cheers:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:04:03 PM
 8)    :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:41 PM
BEAUTIFUL  :drool: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
MT.O Prybar
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:56:21 PM
Great work guys.. :salute:

Offline landwomble

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:57:36 PM
Very nice. Question - presumably shape ways dont heat temper etc. Is this a problem or is it just man enough regardless due to the thickness?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
Awesome!

Big question:How much?

Aw,never mind,I'll have one!!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:54:18 PM
I like the design!  The waterjet service I use is $1 a part for cutting which is cheap, but I dont know if it is 'precise' enough to cut that out or not.  I've got some Ti being cut soon by him so we'll see how close it matches the file. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:50:27 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Sadly very little of this great looking Pry-Bar is anything to do with me

Great job Mate  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:52 AM
That's really nice. :tu:

Just an idea: would it be possible to make the two small cutouts around the 1/4 hex hole, square and wide enough to work on 14-15 gauge spokes? Since they're there, I don't see why not adding some bike-friendly functionality to this otherwise :gimme: tool. :)

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:32 PM
I'm impressed.  I particularly like the 5mm version - I like thicker OPMTs more than the thinner tools - but both versions seem to be well thought through with a good number of functions and what seems to be carefully considered ergonomics.  I think this one that I will get round to ordering.

Thanks kitbeard, i suspect there will be a few small changes made to this tool after actually trying it out but i did my best to make it as useable as possible during the design stage.

One of each for me! :gimme:
I think I may be the first order in! :woohoo:
BTW, I LOVE how the wrench is designed.  Very clever. :cheers:

Thanks Mr. Whippy, your right, the first and so far only taker. Please give them a thorough testing when they arrive, i'm intrigued as to how functional you will find them.
I'm glad you recognised the advantage of the 15 degree slant on the 1/4" hex, hopefully it will come in handy.

8)    :tu:     :)
BEAUTIFUL  :drool: JR
Great work guys.. :salute:

Thanks alot, i'm a bit unsure as to why there haven't been more community multi-tool projects but i suppose we've had more than our fair share of input into many of the big manufacture's tools anyway.

Very nice. Question - presumably shape ways dont heat temper etc. Is this a problem or is it just man enough regardless due to the thickness?

The stainless steel parts are heated to quite a high temperature to sinter them while also being infused with bronze. I have heard that the stainless steel grade is similar to 420 so it should be temperable. I've tried drilling it and it's certainly harder than mild steel but exactly how hard i couldn't stay.
It's true that at 5mm it should be impossible to break it without a bench vise and a big hammer however tempered it is.

Awesome!
Big question:How much?
Aw,never mind,I'll have one!!

3mm- just over £21
5mm- just under £30
Well at least they're cheaper than an atwood.

I like the design!  The waterjet service I use is $1 a part for cutting which is cheap, but I dont know if it is 'precise' enough to cut that out or not.  I've got some Ti being cut soon by him so we'll see how close it matches the file. 

Cheers, and thanks for the info, water-jet accuracy can range from .5 to .1mm depending on the machine and getting straight sides requires the cutting nozzle to change it's angle as it cuts which some don't do.
Please let me know what you descover as $1 sounds pretty good to me.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Sadly very little of this great looking Pry-Bar is anything to do with me
Great job Mate  :salute:

Both the bottle opener's dimensions and angle of attack as well as using the MT.O text as a functional part of the design were your ideas, everything else was just filling in the gaps.
Soon you'll be able to do a back to back test between mine and your bottle openers to see which is best.

That's really nice. :tu:
Just an idea: would it be possible to make the two small cutouts around the 1/4 hex hole, square and wide enough to work on 14-15 gauge spokes? Since they're there, I don't see why not adding some bike-friendly functionality to this otherwise :gimme: tool. :)

Thats an interesting suggestion, i'll draw it up see if it's doable. If not then perhaps a bike dedicated tool might need thinking about.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:41:03 PM by Tofty »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 11:01:04 PM

You need any electrical work doing Mate?  >:D

Guess I better start saving my pennies  :ahhh

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 03:03:39 AM
If you do one with the spoke wrench I will be getting one.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:32 AM
My Tofty MTO prybars arrived today. :mail:

I haven't tried the wrenches yet, but the prytip and bottle opener work extremely well. The wrenches are fairly small, so I'll have to find some smaller bolts to test them on.  The one thing to note is the finish.  It is fairly industrial.  There are no sharp edges or abrasive surfaces but the finish is uneven, I think is the best way to put it.  Function is fine however.  Here are some pictures.

The bottle opener is excellent.  Really good leverage.

Here is a shot with the Pockettool X (now Leatherman) Piranha, Atwood Roid Rench Prybaby and the two MTO prybars:

Thickness of the tools PTX Piranha, Atwood Roid Rench, 5mm MTO then 3mm MTO

Here is a shot trying to show the finish of the tools:

I think these are very functional one pieces.  I love the MTO logo (with 1/4 bit driver).  The finish is fairly industrial especially when compared to an Atwood, PTX Piranha or PocketWrench II.   However, given the size and functionality of the tool, it's pretty minor (except for those looking for tool art pieces rather than handy one piece tools).

Great job Tofty! :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:52 AM
Those look great!

Does the finish seem like it might invite corrosion problems?  What kind of steel was used?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 03:22:32 AM
Those look great!

Does the finish seem like it might invite corrosion problems?  What kind of steel was used?

Def
it kinda looks like it would especially inside the lettering? JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:39 AM

Nice pictures Mr W  :tu:

Great job Tofty  :salute:

Those look sooooo cool  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:25 AM
Not totally sure (I think Shapeways discusses it) but I believe it's a stainless steel with some sort of epoxy(?) binder. I don't think corrosion is going to be a major problem.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 11:47:28 AM
Not totally sure (I think Shapeways discusses it) but I believe it's a stainless steel with some sort of epoxy(?) binder. I don't think corrosion is going to be a major problem.

Well at least you'll not suffer the issues you suffered with the slickness of the Spirit out on the farm  :D I'm not a one piece tool guy myself, but they do look cool  8)  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 11:56:53 AM
From http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

Shapeways 3D printed stainless steel is very strong and rigid with similar properties to 420 stainless steel, except it is infused with a bronze content of up to 30%. This gives some Stainless Steel objects a slightly bronze hue.

We deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder. Then a new layer of powder is spread and the process repeats until we have a fully printed tray. Then we take the printed objects out carefully. In this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile–similar to wet sand. After, we sprue the objects together and infuse them with bronze. Items closer to the bronze infusion start point will absorb more bronze. These items might look more golden than other items. We are working on standardizing the colors, but in the meanwhile, there will be some color differences in the models you may receive (see picture above). Then, we cut off the objects from the tree and polish them with a tumbler. Depending on how fragile the printed objects are we use different polishing media. This is why some objects may have a slightly shinier surface than others. After polishing,we spray on a sealant and ship to your doorstep.

This material is watertight, is dishwasher safe, not recyclable, and not foodsafe. It is heatproof to 831C/1528F degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties.

So, it's basically steel grains welded together with bronze. I assume it would be very corrosion resistant, especially since they say it's dishwasher safe.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:55 PM
Thanks Mr. Whippy, nice write-up, glad to hear your first impressions were generally positive.
The upcoming production run should have a much better finish anyway.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago:

The bottle opener has to be my favourite part as it's so much better than my other prybar.
All the hex cut-outs seem to be the right size although i can't test the smallest ones as i don't have anything suitable.

You need any electrical work doing Mate?  >:D
Guess I better start saving my pennies  :ahhh
 :cheers:

Just keep an eye out for the soon to be created pass-around thread.

I had a look at adding a spoke wrench but there wasn't enough room for it anyhere sensible so i'll have a go at a bike tool soon.

Those look great!
Def
it kinda looks like it would especially inside the lettering? JR

Well at least you'll not suffer the issues you suffered with the slickness of the Spirit out on the farm  :D I'm not a one piece tool guy myself, but they do look cool  8)  :tu:

Thanks Everyone and thanks Steinar for posting that info.
I've been carrying my first prybar on my keychain for a month or so now and haven't seen any signs of corrosion on the tool, although the hex bits gone rusty already.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 05:28:39 PM

I had a look at adding a spoke wrench but there wasn't enough room for it anyhere sensible so i'll have a go at a bike tool soon.

What's wrong with making the cut-outs around the O in MT.O the right size/shape for spokes? It's not like they won't be able to hold the o-ring if they're square, right?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 05:29:52 PM
Thanks Mr. Whippy, nice write-up, glad to hear your first impressions were generally positive.
The upcoming production run should have a much better finish anyway.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Everyone and thanks Steinar for posting that info.
I've been carrying my first prybar on my keychain for a month or so now and haven't seen any signs of corrosion on the tool, although the hex bits gone rusty already.
I really like the finish! kinda gives it that, not brand new, first deverginizing it, used, but kept in very good condition! and yeah you can see the rust forming on the bit, only problem with that is it will transfer to the tool with no hesitation! can the bit store horizontal in the wrench area? JR

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:16 PM

What's wrong with making the cut-outs around the O in MT.O the right size/shape for spokes? It's not like they won't be able to hold the o-ring if they're square, right?

There just doesn't seem to be enough room for them while maintaining the necessary material thickness around the 1/4" hex.

I really like the finish! kinda gives it that, not brand new, first deverginizing it, used, but kept in very good condition! and yeah you can see the rust forming on the bit, only problem with that is it will transfer to the tool with no hesitation! can the bit store horizontal in the wrench area? JR

I have a bad habit of not wanting to use shiny new tools so this is the perfect solution; make them look ragged to begin with.

There are a number of hex bits on the market that wouldn't suffer this fate; from TiN coated to being completely made from stainless steel, in fact thats what will be accompanying my prybar during the pass-around.

A lovely Wera stainless PH2 bit.

Unfortunately a hex bit can't be stored in the wrench cutout on the MT.O prybar, thats what the little bit kit you get with forum membership is for. I wish there was room but as shown above sometimes there just isn't.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 06:54:08 PM
Dear Santa......  :gimme:
Everything’s adjustable

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:36 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:58 PM
Are you really sure it's rust and not just the bronze starting to acquire color? We are talking about 420 type steel and bronze, I have a hard time believing it should rust easily.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 01:45:02 AM
I would have to agree Tofty. Putting the spoke wrench in that area may compromise the structure. A bike specific tool would be the only answer I think.

If you build it, we will buy it!¡!

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24