Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Feedback and advice on my new Multi-tool design

Ad1 · 19 · 3773

Offline Ad1

Feedback and advice on my new Multi-tool design
on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:34 AM
Hi guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and looking for feedback on a project. I have been working on developing a fun little product which I think some of you may like. I am sure some people will love it and some will hate it, so would appreciate constructive feedback if at all possible.

The product is a multi-tool case for an iPhone. I have designed it to include 16 tools including a 2.5" drop-point knife, 6 Allen wrenches, small pliers, wire cutters, wire stripper, saw, small flathead, large flathead, medium phillips and ruler. It weights 96g (iPhone 5 version) and adds only 4mm to the phone thickness, so it is pretty slim and trim. I designed it because I never carry my multi-tools with my when I go to work, but always wish I had a few basic tools to do various small/medium jobs. I wanted it to protect the phone but never cause any damage to the phone, while at the same time be robust enough to perform actual real tasks.

A disclaimer - I do have the product up for crowdfunding on Indiegogo since I am trying to raise the $$$ for manufacturing, but as many of you may be potential users I would very much like to get you thoughts on changes (does it need to be waterproof even if it makes the case bulkier? Does it need screen protection?). I won't link to the campaign site, but I do have lots of pictures and video (including a stress test of some of the tools to failure using the case and my own iPhone5!) on my website: LINK REMOVED

A few quick answers to questions that I know will come up - the knife is removable in about 2 seconds with no tools for storage in your checked luggage, the tools are completely encased in an aluminum housing attached to your phone via the edge bands so they never touch or scratch the phone, and you can yank the case while using the tools in any direction and it won't even scratch or damage your phone.

Check it out and please let me know what you think! A teaser picture is below, see more at the website link

-Addison

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:53:17 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Re: Feedback and advice on my new Multi-tool design
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:14:42 AM
Have a read here :pok:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:21 AM
Hi Addison, and welcome to the forum.  Please be aware that I have removed the link to your fundraising campaign.  It is generally considered bad form to promote yourself and ask for donations on a free and open website such as this- it looks like you are trying to take advantage of the hard work many have put into building a site and community like this.

As I'm sure that wasn't done intentionally I am available for a private discussion if you want to discuss possibilities on this site. Otherwise I'm sure the expertise and opinions of our membership will be valuable enough for your project.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:25:54 AM
My advice:

Disclaimer: These are my first impressions.

1) As Grant mentioned - study the Swiss card for "inspiration", as a pen would be a good option.  All these implements seem to be targeted at the market segment that already carries a dedicated multitool.  I think your market would be better suited with a tool load-out for the office crowd.

2)Remove the knife from the equation, your average smartphone user does not need a sharp implement next to his face.  Anyone who needs one would typically carry an alternate discrete blade or multitool.

3)All functionality should be easily removable.  I can see no gain in trying to use any implement while holding the phone.  A smartphone is simply too valuable to risk damage by using it as a knife/screwdriver handle.  Also I can't see me torqueing down on my iPhone to tighten a screw.

4)Blade design looks more suited for stabbing than opening boxes to me.  Consider your market.

5)Everyone carries their smartphone on the airplane with them, everyone who forgets they have their phone in this sheath with knife blade installed get it's confiscated.  A more likely scenario than your average "I forgot it was in my pocket scenario"  I know you've thought of this but I think people will be prone to forgetting they have it installed on the most likely item they will have with them.

My advice would be to tone it down a bit in scope and consider the casual markets needs.

Good luck with this.

It looks like a well engineered product.

:)

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:56 AM
I am also worried about the torque the phone will endure, its so easy to abuse a multitool...  :whistle:

So, my advice would be the same: All tools should be removable like a Swiss Card.

But if its too late to modify the design, I will suggest to add a cover for the screen, similar to the iNox Case:

It will provide a more structural/resistant design and a better way to protect the screen in case of slippage during use.

Also it can be used as a moneyclip !
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:25:10 AM by Ombudsman »

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:06:41 AM
Yeah, I'd go with Def's reasoning as well:

Watching the video you see that one of the tools actually separates from the case and can be used independently.  If the developer really wants to make a tool like this functional I think that's where I would concentrate my efforts- something like the Tool Logic or Swiss Card type tools where all the functions are housed in the main body but detachable.

I can't imagine the vibrations and dust from using the saw would be good for your iPhone, plus I see more of these being confiscated at airports since so many folks would buy them and forget they have them. 

Of course I didn't watch all of the video- I just saw enough of it to see what a bad idea it is in it's current incarnation.

Def

I wouldn't buy it with it's current design. However if each tool were removable at designed to be used separately it might be a tad more interesting.

To be honest, I still doubt I'd buy one though since I can't stand thick phone covers. I want my phones to be as slim as possible since I tend to carry them in my front left jeans pocket.

The idea itself is good I suppose, but in practise.. no, not for me at least.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:02 AM
Looks like your tool had a bit of a baptism of fire in the other thread  :D Persevere though, and take on board the comments. There is a great wealth of knowledge here on the forum and introducing yourself here and asking for feedback is a smart move in my opinion  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Ad1

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:21 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I certainly would like to make the product better and am very open to feedback. Grant no problem on removing the link, sorry for adding that. The feedback is valuable enough for me!

It sounds like a lot of you think having all of the tools removable would be a better option - a question in relation to that: would you prefer to have all tools removable even if it did have to thicken the case a bit? I am specifically referring to the pliers, which have a very non-standard pivot that relies on constraint from the the case in order to maintain strength and stay thin. I would likely have to increase the case thickness by a small amount if the pliers were removable.

Another question along these lines (maybe two questions): The phone is a surprisingly reasonable handle when using the knife and does allow more force on the blade - If I make it removable it would have to have its own, less significant handle.  Would this be the preference of most people on this forum?  A knife that was equally robust but perhaps not quite as useful since it would have a smaller handle?

It is never too late to modify the design, I have not successfully funded the project yet and am not into manufacturing at this point, so I will certainly take into account everyone's feedback.

Thanks everyone!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:44:43 PM
Welcome to the forum mate  :cheers: its not for me as not likely to own a iphone lol but why would it be thicker if tools removable  :think: I also can't stand big phones and even have to remove my LG optimus from my back  :-\ also changeable tools could be a good idea, hope it works out and your get lots good advice here as we all know a few things about multitools  :tu:

Offline Ad1

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:55:28 PM
Welcome to the forum mate  :cheers: its not for me as not likely to own a iphone lol but why would it be thicker if tools removable  :think: I also can't stand big phones and even have to remove my LG optimus from my back  :-\ also changeable tools could be a good idea, hope it works out and your get lots good advice here as we all know a few things about multitools  :tu:

Hi Zed, Thanks. The only reason it would need to be a bit thicker is the two halves of the pliers don't actually overlap with a pivot (you can see a photo of the internal layout of the tools below). So in order to add a pivot in the pliers I would either need to thin down the steel on both halves of the pliers or make the case a bit thicker to accommodate the added thickness of a pivot (likely by somewhere in the 0.5-1mm range thicker).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:57:10 PM by Ad1 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

Good point  :tu: me neither

Basing this product around an iphone is somewhat limiting the potential market. It also means it's only as future proof as another manufacturer continuing to produce items without changing spec/dimensions so you're not master of your own destiny. I have adopted a means of ensuring small removable tools are part of my own carry - in my wallet!

In the coin pouch on my wallet is a small pliers tool (Mini Bear Jaws), a small knife tool (Victorinox Classic), screwdrivers in the form of a Screwzall, and endless match petrol lighter and a True Utility twistick (corkscrew). Inside the wallet I also have a fresnel magnifying lens and a couple of other goodies too including a Fisher Stowaway pen. That's a heck of a lot of capability in a very small space, and that's just by being selective and choosing wisely - not innovating a design solution

Would a wallet be a better platform to base this around rather than a phone? That way you've half a chance of selling to the Android, Blackberry, Windows and non-smartphone crowd too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:05 PM
If it was me I would lose the pliers and go for mainly screw drivers and scissors and no knife as might be more popular mainstream  :tu:

Good idea on wallet Al  :tu:

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:28 PM
Howdy!

If it was me I would lose the pliers and go for mainly screw drivers and scissors and no knife as might be more popular mainstream  :tu:

These are pretty much my thoughts as well. Real blades are probably going to be a turn-off to the average iphone user. (I'm not one, by the way, so what do I know. :D) Maybe a "package opener" kind of thing (like on the Wingman) would work, as long as it doesn't trigger issues with public travel.

That pliers design is kinda neat, though, and I never saw something quite like that before. Maybe you could turn that into scissors? :think:

I think a pen would probably be a good fit as well.

I also see that the straight and phillips drivers are removable, which is good, but they could probably use a little more size to torque with. I'm not really sure about using them while still attached to the phone. :-\

Anyway, you've done some interesting work. I'd like to see what you could do with a credit card design. :)

Edit: I don't know if it would really be a good idea, but what about making the blade be a regular Stanley type razor blade. It's small, useful, and would be completely disposable if it became a problem. :think: That's something I wish other credit-card sized tools would do.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:39:25 PM by NeitherExtreme »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:50 PM
Personally I would dump the base it on a phone idea, why rely on a phone to hold a tool.  Id never use it, nor own an iphone either though.  Making a wallet card tool is a wonderful idea since youve got some innovative concepts there.  If I was to take your starter ideas there and run with a product, Id make a wallet card tool with pliers! Never seen that before and Id buy one in a heartbeat.

I just dont see any advantage to having tools stuck on the back of a phone. Id rather have a SAK or MT in my pocket.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:49:53 AM
Actually, i know a lot of people that bought the iPhone case with the beer bottle opener built into the case so you might have a chance, but you probably want to stick to tools like a pen that pulls out, bottle opener, eyeglass screwdriver, sewing kit, things like that.  Keep it thin and maybe waterproof, someone would probably buy it. 

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:20 PM
Wouldn't jamming a bunch of steel at the back of the phone dampen the signal from the internal radio transmitters considerably? I don't know where the antennas are placed in an iPhone, though. In the manuals of all mobiles I've owned (including my current smartphone) there has been a sketch noting where the antenna is and a notice about not covering that area and not using it to hold the phone (since human bodies are bags of impure salt water). (OK, no manufacturer I've bought phones from have termed the human body that.)

I like the idea of combining a phone with something like a SwissCard, I'm just skeptical about problems with the radio signals.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:34 PM
I can totally see the point of having a multitool attached to your phone- for most folks a mobile phone is a lifeline and they rarely leave home without it.  I am one of those people, and to be honest, I even have my phone in the washroom with me when showering (not in the shower with me mind you!) or "taking care of business" since my day job revolves around being in touch.

Having a multipurpose tool built into the phone would be quite handy for a lot of people as it's one less thing they have to remember when they have to dash out the door in the morning because wifey missed her bus and now you need to drive her to work, ten miles out of your way in morning rush hour traffic and the dog still hasn't been out.  As long as you have your phone you have some added function in the real world.

Would it be good as the average Leatherman and SAK combo?  No.  Could it save your hindquarters from time to time?  Definitely.

However, having fold out SAK-like gizmos is, in my opinion anyway, really not the best way to do this.  If it were me, I think I would read up on one piece tools (like Atwood, PocketTool X and so on) and card type tools like the Swiss Card and Tool Logic cards and I would try to incorporate those types of features into the case- all as removable tools, and try to keep the case itself as slim as possible.  I'd add in thin scissors, a nail file, bottle and can openers, maybe a small rescue type cutter (like on a Raker Ring Tool) since it's good for a lot of different things and is very societal friendly since it looks like the safety cutters kids used to use to safely open bags of milk, a few different screwdrivers and a couple of wrench cutouts. 

The great thing about all of these is that they can be made very flat, and unlike the 2x3" credit card size or "small enough to fit on a keyring" problems the other types of tools face, there is a lot more room on the back of a standard iPhone.

Another benefit to a design like this (removable tools) is that invariably when I get to the airport and my (hypothetically- I don't have an iPhone!) iPhone's blade sets off the x ray machine I can pull just the blade out and toss it in the bin.  That means I still have the rest of my tools, and gives the manufacturer an additional chance to take my money as I will likely order a replacement. 

The same holds true when a new iPhone comes out and invariably every iPhone user tramples their grandmother to get a new one.  The new handset will be slightly different of course, but I'll be able to order a new case and slot all my original tools in it rather than having to buy them all over again.

Lastly, not to knock the original concept but fold out tools from a case screams "CHEAP ASIAN CRAP" to me, much like the multitool hammers where the hammer head splits so you can use it as pliers too- except that you can't because the shape of the hammer head means you can only access things with HUGE amounts of clearance on either side.

The concept is typical of the cheap smurf engineering where you think you have a good idea and you run with it after not having thought it through properly.  That sounds insulting to you, and I apologize if it comes across a bit harsh, but that is exactly what I thought when I first saw the concept.  It's a good idea, but no thought went into it beyond the initial "Hey, what about..."

That having been said, as it stands you'll probably sell a half million of them in the first day as people who don't know any better will think that's all they need, or that it'll make a great gift for husband/brother/father/friend who is always fixing stuff.  Of course, you could also find yourself at the bottom end of a lawsuit when a pile of people smashed the screens on their phones while trying to torque a screw in a tight space and it slips.

On a more positive note, I do like this idea as I used to have a leather book type case for my PDA many years ago and I kept a SwissCard Quattro in it for the times when I forgot a larger tool or just needed something that a standard multi didn't have, like a decent nail file, toothpick or pen.

That's my two cents on this design anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
Having all the tools removable also means you can make up cases for different phones and slot in the same tools, and not be limited to one model of an iphone, or crappy apple products at all.  I forgot to add that you are missing two critical tools, scissors and a pen.  People use a pen more often than pliers or other msc tools.  Id dump that weird serrated blade for sure for a small sharp package opener.  Something to help people get into those annoying clamshell packages.  I still find it odd to stick this on a phone though.  Most poeple have pockets, and pocket knives fit in there really nice and dont rely on having a phone.

I laughed pretty hard when I saw the design and couldn't believe anyone would want this.  I know tools but I dont know people, so I could be wrong.  As I am someone who prototypes tools and components, it's not something I would touch with a ten foot pole.  I have a few pillars of business that I operate buy and this missing almost all of them.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:30 AM
 :imws:

Really couldn't have said it better.

The idea is interesting, and sure some folks would buy it, but then again people will buy anything that fits onto/around/somewhere-near their apple products. 

Hats off to you though for having the gumption to come up with such an idea then present it pre-patent on a forum full of fabrication nuts and SAK-modders. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%