Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A few thoughts on X-Tracts ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
A few thoughts on X-Tracts ...
on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:49 PM
Not long after joining up here, I got an X-Tract to try out. It was the standard model with the combo-edged blade and OHO can opener. Although I'm not a huge fan of liner lock blades as many know on here, I did quite like the blade but was put off a little by the serrations. The main drawbacks for me though were the inefficient use of space and the lack of a clip. The tool was bulky, and didn't seem to use that bulk to best advantage, add to that the fact that all that bulk sat deep at the bottom of a pocket and it wasn't the strongest tool out there.

Fast forward to today ...

I recently found a source for a Buck X-Tract Essential, which I was actually wanting to get hold of with a view to potentially poaching the scissors for something else. I decided to splash out and get two of them, just in case I liked the different set up ... and I'm really glad I did. The Essential has a deep carry pocket clip, plain edged blade and the tool seems packed full of utility. In not much more space that a standard OHO pocket knife, there's a very decent Phillips and flat blade driver - not the greatest reach compared to some tools, but very respectable, and a HUGE pair of scissors. I think the only other multitool scissors I have that come close are those on the Wenger Business Tool ... or the 007 Stapler as my mate once called it  :D

There are limitations as to when and where I can carry this knife based tool in the UK due to the locking blade, but I'm glad to have it as part of the arsenal .... and am now expecting a X-Tract Fin in time too. The Fin adds back in the slide out pliers from the original X-Tract, whilst keeping the pocket clip, plain edged blade and the wonderful scissors. Many people sneer at the pliers on the X-Tract range, but they beat those on a Squirt or Dime, and aren't that far removed from the capability of a Juice.

The difference for me between the original X-Tract and the Essential is massive - it's altogether a far superior option, and I'm hoping the Fin impresses me as much. I have a suspicion the Fin might not feel as packed full of goodness as the Essential in respect of use of space, but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

For those of you who have played with an X-Tract and thought "meh", I'd seriously consider looking again at the Fin or Essential - you might just be surprised with them. All tools are OHO, plain edged blade, and deep carry clip ... and all released a long time before Leatherman started claiming they did it first (with the OHT)

Additional note for the Lefties:
The driver (and pliers) deployment is ambidextrous, and even though my left arm is predominantly only used for symmetry and balance, even I can open and close the blade and scissors left handed (though it did take a few moments to figure out how  :P). It is of course significantly more awkward using your left middle finger against the thumb stud rather than a simple flick with you're thumb ... but you oddbods knew that anyway  :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:31:17 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A few thoughts on X-Tracts ...
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:24 PM
Aw bugger ... just noticed the Fin doesn't have a pocket clip  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
Something is wrong with my PC :think: The pics are not loading. :ahhh

;)

Nice write up. :salute: Very big pair of scissors on that one too but the whole tool looks a bit to bulky for my taste. I like deep carry pocketclips too, but the length of that one isn't something for me, seems unreasonably long. :shrug: How wide do the scissors open up on it? Does anyone know how they compare to the LM Surge scissors?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:34:09 AM
Something is wrong with my PC :think: The pics are not loading. :ahhh

:D

Yeah I know  :facepalm: :D :D There's lots of pics I need to take for various things. I hoped to take a load this weekend, but got summoned for family stuff.

I'm expecting the Fin to be quite chunky, but the Essential was surprisingly slim. It appears after some research that the scissors are much smaller on the Fin too - but that should still leave them a very usable size  :)

Can't help you on the Surge question though  :-\

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:38 AM
I have an X-tract, though I do not remember the model (here is a picture, at the end).

I liked the idea, similar to the Wenger large pliers models, but I was allways worried, because of the positioning of the linerlock, that if I squeezed it hard the lock would be pushed open by my fingers and the blade will fold..
IMG_5829.JPG
* IMG_5829.JPG (Filesize: 232.77 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:46 AM

I'm expecting the Fin to be quite chunky, but the Essential was surprisingly slim. It appears after some research that the scissors are much smaller on the Fin too - but that should still leave them a very usable size  :)

I've got the Buck  FiN (off amazon, came direct from source...China!)
When it did eventually get here I was incensed.
I expected a brand box/carton i.e with Buck splashed all over it.
Nope...just a basic white cardboard box no instructions, no branding nothing.
Then when I opened it I almost exploded in rage. The main blade wobbled sideways, the tools were ultra stiff to open..........

I switched on the laptop and began to compose feedback...horrendous feedback...I was determined that no one else would give them a second look once they'd read my words.

As I was writing, I kept looking for other faults too - it then dawned on me that the fastners could maybe nipped up. With nothing to lose I fetched the toolset found the correct bits and torqued therm up...yipee, sound as a pound, wobble free!! Feeling giddy I lubricated the tool with silicon fluid. Well Al, you just wouldn't believe what a difference that made.

The tool is now simply fab, silky smooth, no wobbles....fantastic.

Sorry for the longish story Al, but I guessed you might find it interestin'.  :salute:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:32 AM
Well, so far none of my X-Tracts have had any quality issues whatsoever. Good to know there's scope for adjustment though if things need tightening up  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:51:26 AM
I have an X-tract, though I do not remember the model (here is a picture, at the end).

I liked the idea, similar to the Wenger large pliers models, but I was allways worried, because of the positioning of the linerlock, that if I squeezed it hard the lock would be pushed open by my fingers and the blade will fold..

The answer is actually on the blade  ;) The 730 is the standard version, and I believe the 731 is the LED, the 732 is the Fin, and the 735 is the Essential ... not sure what happened to 733 & 734  :think:
(Where's Longbow when you need him  :P :D)

I know what you mean (I think) with the linerlock issue, although I've never actually unlocked the blade with the Essential or the original. I tend to treat locking folders like slippies anyway though, so I'm unlikely to put force on the blade the wrong way  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:52:58 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:22 AM
I have been very busy training new employees at work. And on the fun side being Santa this week end. So I have not been staying up to date on here.
OK on to the Buck X-Tract.

The 730 Buck X-Tract was introduced in the 2007 catalog. It had the 3" serrated knife blade, retractable pliers,#2 Phillips and 3/16" slotted screw drivers, and a can/bottle opener and a lanyard loop. All implements are one hand opening and lock open

In 2008 the 731 X-Tract was introduced with a small LED light on the side. All other implements remained the same

In 2009 the 732 X-Tract Fin came out. The can/bottle opener was replaced with a small pair of scissors. The 3" knife blade is not serrated. ( I do not have the 732)
The 735 X-Tract Essential was also introduced. The pliers were dropped and a large pair of scissors were added. It also has a 3" plain edge knife, #2 Phillips and flat head screw driver.Also added was a deep carry pocket clip. The 735 was also thinner than the other X-Tract models (no Pliers).

In the 2010 catalog all models remain the same.
In 2011 the 735 Essential was dropped from the catalog.
2012  the 730,731,732 are still in the catalog.

Pictured below 730 X-Tract - Camo
                     731 X-Tract LED - Black
                     735 Essential - Platnium

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:58:40 AM by THE_LONGBOW »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:01:25 AM
Perfect timing  :D :D

Thanks for stopping by LB, and thanks for the clarification :tu: I'm surprised the Essential has been dropped from the catalogue and the others remain. In fact trying to track down a Fin was trickier than I expected, and I wonderd if they'd dropped the whole line.

Did they ever give the names 733 & 734 to anything? I just wondered if there was any meaning behind the jump from 732 to 735. Planned products which were never actually released?

Thanks again LB  :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:46 PM
Why no model with everything, i.e. scissors, knife, and pliers?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:57 PM
Why no model with everything, i.e. scissors, knife, and pliers?

That's what the X-Tract Fin is  ;)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:20:02 AM
A bit of a necro here...

I just got an X-Tract Essential and I am loving it! The main reason I got it was the OHO scissors, what other tool has that? And speaking of the scissors they are giant! I think they are great! The only problem with them is that the thumb rest is very thin metal and the lever is very short. This means you have to push down harder than some MT scissors and on an uncomfortable thumb rest. But do not let that deter you! The massive size of these scissors and the OHO feature makes up for this! The knife blade is great too. It's big, sharp, and locking. The drivers are a nice addition too. Although they are limited in reach because the knife body sticks out in their way. The entire knife fills your hand very well and is comfortable to use. I would recommend this to anyone. Everyone needs OHO scissors!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 05:23:36 AM
:)

de Offline Schneider

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:17:56 PM
Those look really interesting but I'm not sure about the scales on it. They seem to add unnecessary bulk to a rather thick tool. :shrug:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:34 PM
They're actually not that bad at all, and they do feel quite good in hand. In hand the Essential just feels like a substantial pocket knife IMO, and probably add a lot less thickness than the "ergonomic"  ::) Wenger Ranger scales - although I haven't measured them. The Fin is wider due to the pliers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:24:05 PM by 50ft-trad »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 05:37:53 PM
I like the Buck X-Tract series a lot. You can't go wrong with any of them.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 08:57:41 PM
I just got back from a backpacking trip. And after one day... RUST!

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:04:51 AM
I just got back from a backpacking trip. And after one day... RUST!
(Image removed from quote.)

I looked at my X-Tract that I have carried it does not show any sign of rust. That being said if you are not happy with your tool I would suggest sending it back to Buck. That rust is unusual for Bucks steel, how ever like any thing it may be flawed.. If you need Bucks address PM me and I will get it to you.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%